Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Watched The Holdovers. It's exactly what you'd expect from the trailer. A boilerplate movie with a couple good performances by Paul Giamatti and DaVine Randolph.

I feel about it almost exactly like I feel about Barbie. An enjoyable flick but a baffling nomination for best picture.

No Mods No Masters posted:

Obviously we can all be pleased that marvel and star wars are in the graveyard, but now is the time to think about the age to come. If you can get in on the ground floor of the next 10 to 15 year fad you're set basically :regd08:

Finally, we can focus our collective attention on the Rebel Mooniverse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

CaptainBeefart posted:

Lol at the gun.

Just give him a gun prop!

The propmakers have a union, so we have to use the more expensive VFX work to starve them into desperation.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

You already beat me to the punch of making fun of you in the Fun pranks thread over that blooper. :laffo:

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Rageaholic posted:

I haven't done this in years, but when I used to go to midnight showings of The Room in theaters, hearing the reactions to the sex scenes from people around me was always a delight.

When I showed The Room to my brother, the second time Tommy started crawling into the sheets he jokingly said "Oh great, is there gonna be another five-minute sex scene?" Watching his dawning realization that yes, there was, was one of the funnest parts of the screening.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

Finally, we can focus our collective attention on the Rebel Mooniverse

Whatever terrible fate the new age has in store for us, at least we can rest easy knowing it's not going to be that. Netflix saw to that, and I thank them

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

LanceHunter posted:

I mean, here is the full list from Wikipedia of all Sony/Columbia franchises they still control...

• Sony's Spider-Man Universe‎
  • Spider-Verse (franchise)‎

They're not exactly sitting on a deep bench. So they've gotta keep putting the big pro who should have retired a long time ago up to bat. It's not like a 2023 Gidget remake would make any money.
Knowing that Sony owns this and looking at the nightmare of Madame Webs and Kravens they've been doing with the other Spider-Man stuff that they own I remain terrified that, given the delay for Spider-Verse 3, they're going to start pumping out 90s era Disney Direct To Video quality Spider-Verse spin-offs.

"Hey, you liked this character in the good movies! Now they're getting their own theatrical release (animated by AI)!"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

khwarezm posted:

What I find fascinating about this particularly infamous photo is the way it was shared with intent for people to be impressed at the effects on display rather than confused and slightly disheartened that the film has nothing tangible in it.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Has any single image been more damaging to a film's reputation and legacy? Like holy poo poo, this annihilated the entire Hobbit trilogy.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

khwarezm posted:

Has any single image been more damaging to a film's reputation and legacy? Like holy poo poo, this annihilated the entire Hobbit trilogy.

pretty sure stretching one movie across three was what annihilated the hobbit trilogy

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

pretty sure stretching one movie across three was what annihilated the hobbit trilogy

When they were coming out I remember people (unconvincingly) making the case for them, or at least the first 2.

The behind the scenes stuff was second only to the Phantom Menace in being a probably unintentionally candid look in on the troubled production of a prequel blockbuster trilogy that couldn't capture the magic of the originals and where the people making it knew things weren't going to work even if they couldn't really admit it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Doomed from the moment they threw all GDT's pre-production work in the trash but still expected to hit the same deadlines.

Went from 2 years of pre-production for one movie to 6 months of pre-production for 3. Completely hosed

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

CaptainBeefart posted:

Lol at the gun.

Just give him a gun prop!

Plus then you can sell Authentic Prop Replica for insane markup

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

khwarezm posted:

I never realized before now but I'm just noticing the faces taped to the little swivel thingies so that McKellan can tell where Freeman and Armitage's heads are supposed to be.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

When you are so spiteful to every possible union that you pay 100x the amount just to produce the same exact results

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 30, 2024

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
:coolspot:

slaps

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
It's really sad when you watch the documentaries on the LotR DVDs and everyone is just so pleased with the fact that they filmed inside a physical hobbit-scale Bag End set, and how they built a motion controlled table so they could have a convincing forced-perspective effect while moving the camera, and how the actors all said that having real things to react to is super helpful for turning in a good performance...

And then you fast forward 12 years and it's Gandalf in front of a green screen talking to some placeholder objects.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-5_f28-iT8

Jackson looks like he's absolutely run ragged in every behind the scenes clip from the Hobbit films. While he's certainly not blameless for a lot of the things that are hosed about the movies and how NZ's film industry got hosed by its own government and Warner Bros, I still feel bad for the guy.

Did Costa Botes do any of his handheld documentaries for the Hobbit films like he did for the Lord of the Rings movies? Those ones are really loving good because he spends most of his time talking to extras and set designers and crew. Some of his footage does show up in the extended edition appendices dvds but the full documentaries have great little bits. I love how they hired one person for the crew whose whole job was watching for airplanes so they didn't screw up any shots of the sky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OGRHMi2RiE

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 30, 2024

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Arc Hammer posted:

I love how they hired one person for the crew whose whole job was watching for airplanes so they didn't screw up any shots of the sky.

What a bizarre job. Painting out a distant plane in the sky is like zero work for the effects crew. Practically a one button preset in their chosen effects platform.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

What a bizarre job. Painting out a distant plane in the sky is like zero work for the effects crew. Practically a one button preset in their chosen effects platform.

It was 1999 and while it's true that it can be easily fixed, it's also cheaper if you don't have to do it because you've got a person with a walkie talkie telling you when the skies are clear.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I just saw an ad for the new Ghostbusters, which featured Bill Murray saying a sentence. He sounded so old. :(

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Arc Hammer posted:

It was 1999 and while it's true that it can be easily fixed, it's also cheaper if you don't have to do it because you've got a person with a walkie talkie telling you when the skies are clear.

Even in 1999, it literally would've been cheaper, easier, and faster to paint out the plane. If you have a guy check for it, he's getting his standard wage. You have to get him to set, feed him, get him back to wherever they're staying afterwords. If there is a plane, gotta wait at that point. Burning cash everyone just standing around.

Even with the more primitive software at the time, it would've been a nothing fix to remove a plane that was 8 pixels in diameter from the distant sky. A moments work.

Gripweed posted:

I just saw an ad for the new Ghostbusters, which featured Bill Murray saying a sentence. He sounded so old. :(

Not quite as old as William Atherton though, who sounded like he was in the process of dying during his scene in the trailer.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Past Lives: Quite good.

There is a bit of a balancing act that it's doing where it wants to be universal enough to invoke that feeling of "the road not taken" for the audience but also for it to feel real for the characters, and I'm not sure it quite threaded the needle. I coulda used more of the two of them being best friends as kids to justify him continuing to go back to her as an adult.

Seeing that makes the "Margot Robie should have gotten an Oscar nomination" stuff all the dumber because Greta Lee was extremely good in this.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

earlier tonight I watched a movie where a guy is following a ghost to try to figure out who it was when it was alive, but then a drunk guy starts peeing on the ghost so the ghost attacks the drunk guy. The guy who was following the ghost grabs his gun, pulls out the clip, sprays the bullets with anti-ghost spray, puts the clip back in, and is about to shoot the ghost when a cop points his gun at him and tells him to drop it. So the guy spins, shoots the cop in the arm, then spins back and puts two anti-ghost rounds into the ghost. But ghosts don't have organs or anything so all the anti-ghost bullets do is put two holes in the ghost, and then keep going and end up in a girl's leg. At this point another cop shows up and shoots the guy in the back. Luckily, it turns out he was wearing a bulletproof vest on his ghost following mission.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

khwarezm posted:

There's certainly lots of poorly done sex scenes but its such an important aspect of human life its insane to me when people have blunt condemnation of the whole concept, to me its a bit like saying you shouldn't have scenes of violence and instead they should cut to black and have the main character dust off his jacket with a bunch of bad guys piled up in the corner when it fades back in.

The Oppenheimer discourse was particularly exasperating since in that case it was tasteful, important for the story and characters and involved interesting filmmaking decisions, but people still had an issue. Again its funny that this tends to be much less of a topic of concern in the cinema of various European and Asian countries.

so is taking a poo poo, but you don't see people clamouring for more of those in movies.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Gripweed posted:

Its cool the way that every franchise now is this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1gO-Pf18Yg

piratepilates posted:

so is taking a poo poo, but you don't see people clamouring for more of those in movies.

Let me explain, you take a poo poo to remove waste matter from the body, you have sex so you can have sensual, exciting, fun, emotional and loving experiences with other people and its long been one of the most important acts you can do with another person and been an absolutely gigantic part of every human society, reflected in everything from art to religion, also you need to have sex to reproduce, which helps. Of course, there's also the dark side to it with control, violence, exploitation and discrimination also being a very long running element in human sexuality.

Call me crazy but there may be a reason why sex has long been represented in cinema and arthouse cinema in particular!

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 30, 2024

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Saw The Beekeeper and actually didn't hate it :dafuq:

Jason Statham has been a lot of dull bullshit, and David Ayer has directed a lot of dull bullshit, but somehow this was fun.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

piratepilates posted:

And yet the number one question everybody has about Star Trek is about where the toilets are

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
Movies with Weird Al songs:

UHF obviously
Spy Hard
Johnny Dangerously
Transformers the Movie

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Even in 1999, it literally would've been cheaper, easier, and faster to paint out the plane. If you have a guy check for it, he's getting his standard wage. You have to get him to set, feed him, get him back to wherever they're staying afterwords. If there is a plane, gotta wait at that point. Burning cash everyone just standing around.

Even with the more primitive software at the time, it would've been a nothing fix to remove a plane that was 8 pixels in diameter from the distant sky. A moments work.

Not quite as old as William Atherton though, who sounded like he was in the process of dying during his scene in the trailer.

It's not the image of the plane that's the problem, they make a gently caress ton of noise that gets everywhere and ADRing a scene with more than one person speaking in it is a nightmare. Noise removal software didn't exist AT ALL in 99. (You want to know the plane is coming before you hear it so you aren't halfway through a take with horses or stunts or pyro or anything else that is expensive and painful to reset).

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

X JAKK posted:

Movies with Weird Al songs:

UHF obviously
Spy Hard
Johnny Dangerously
Transformers the Movie

You forgot the modern classic 'Captain Underpants'.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Gripweed posted:

earlier tonight I watched a movie where a guy is following a ghost to try to figure out who it was when it was alive, but then a drunk guy starts peeing on the ghost so the ghost attacks the drunk guy. The guy who was following the ghost grabs his gun, pulls out the clip, sprays the bullets with anti-ghost spray, puts the clip back in, and is about to shoot the ghost when a cop points his gun at him and tells him to drop it. So the guy spins, shoots the cop in the arm, then spins back and puts two anti-ghost rounds into the ghost. But ghosts don't have organs or anything so all the anti-ghost bullets do is put two holes in the ghost, and then keep going and end up in a girl's leg. At this point another cop shows up and shoots the guy in the back. Luckily, it turns out he was wearing a bulletproof vest on his ghost following mission.
why did he have anti-ghost spray that doesn't work on ghosts

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AND1YZSp6YI&t=1688s

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.

Cubone posted:

why did he have anti-ghost spray that doesn't work on ghosts

What does work on ghosts?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Outpost22 posted:

Faith in our savior Jesus Christ the son of God

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Ectoplasm is just ghost jizm.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Outpost22 posted:

Sex is a great ghost repellent. They're afraid they might end up getting trapped in a newly-fertilized zygote to get reincarnated, so they run away.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

piratepilates posted:

A literal drive by shitpost

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

piratepilates posted:

hey hey
hee hee
I make poo poo
and pee pee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Arc Hammer posted:

how NZ's film industry got hosed by its own government and Warner Bros, I still feel bad for the guy.

is there a writeup on this anywhere