Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

shop class was pretty cool, I already knew how to weld but I could have learned how to do that

the most important lesson imparted to the students was "for the love of god, don't knock over the acetylene or o2 tanks"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

so not arkansas
Around here is in the top corner near the borders of Oklahoma and Missouri that I also frequent, and yes the turnpikes are 80 in some places. Just because I live in one place doesn't mean that's the only place I drive.

alexandriao posted:

in addition driving proficiency can vary with weather, time, and route (and locale)
This is why I said "on a clear day with little traffic"; 90 is not my default and my usual reaction is "holy poo poo, I need to slow down." I was just saying that it's not always reckless driving to be going fast.

But I digress; we are on to home ec and shop class now which I agree with. I never got to take either because I was on the honors/AP path and my advisor wouldn't let me take "frivolous" courses and I would really enjoy some of those skills now.

Ommin has a new favorite as of 18:00 on Jan 22, 2024

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I assumed the 'reckless driving' reference was because (in some states) you get charged with that if you are driving more than x above the posted speed limit, regardless of whether an unreasonable person would consider that to be actual reckless behavior or not.

My recollection from middle/high school is that we were allowed to choose between various shop/home-ec related electives, and gender wasn't officially in the mix at all. I took mechanical drawing in high school which gave me the practical skill of knowing that I am very bad at mechanical drawing.

I don't really care if a high school graduate can make a fancy cake but it would be good if they knew how to boil water and do basic home maintenance and such.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

hawowanlawow posted:

shop class was pretty cool, I already knew how to weld but I could have learned how to do that

the most important lesson imparted to the students was "for the love of god, don't knock over the acetylene or o2 tanks"

One of ours was "don't wear clothing that has any lint on it" - I made the mistake of not adhering & my back caught fire when an errant spark hit. Thankfully someone behind me patted it out, it literally went up like dropping a match on a gas-soaked bonfire...didn't expect it to light me up that fast :lol:

Still fun though, wish more schools still had shop/auto classes. That was some of the more fun, practical hands-on stuff I ever learned & still use.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
A mustache with no other facial hair rarely ever works on most men and I encourage other men to either grow a beard or shave their upper lip

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags

thetoughestbean posted:

A mustache with no other facial hair rarely ever works on most men and I encourage other men to either grow a beard or shave their upper lip
No. I admit that there are a lot of bad staches, but you lack the things that would qualify you to pass judgment on this.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

nice obelisk idiot posted:

No. I admit that there are a lot of bad staches, but you lack the things that would qualify you to pass judgment on this.

what would those things be

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

thetoughestbean posted:

correct

phuo: the best pokémon is Weezing, followed by Vaporeon

Charizard sucks

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the best pokemon is obviously zapdos

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Mimikyu is pretty good

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
The best Pokémon is meowth, trapped in the hell of being fully sentient and able to communicate but still treated like an animal.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

The best Pokémon is meowth, trapped in the hell of being fully sentient and able to communicate but still treated like an animal.

that's just the specific one, not a trait of the species

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Why should my tax dollars be paying for all those "free" items that these liberal moochers get from pokestops :bahgawd:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Muscle Tracer posted:

didn't he try to spit some game at a non talking meowth and get rebuffed at one point

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

hawowanlawow posted:

didn't he try to spit some game at a non talking meowth and get rebuffed at one point

He learned to talk to get pussy but it didn't work

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Liquid smoke is disgusting and ruins any food it's used in.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

get solid smoke for that dry aged aroma

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Muscle Tracer posted:

There's only one zapdos too but you didn't come out swinging at that dude.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
SOLID Smoke got all the GOOD GENES

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

wrong, there are many and some of them are mine

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Ommin posted:

This is why I said "on a clear day with little traffic"; 90 is not my default and my usual reaction is "holy poo poo, I need to slow down." I was just saying that it's not always reckless driving to be going fast.

I actually wasn't responding to you lol, i was trying to make a separate point about how difficult it is to determine good or bad driving from just statistical measures when there are thousands of confounding factors

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

docbeard posted:

I don't really care if a high school graduate can make a fancy cake but it would be good if they knew how to boil water and do basic home maintenance and such.

Making a cake is literally just the ability to:

a) find a list of instructions

b) follow them

you can make a "good enough" sponge in a microwave if you follow the right recipe so i would be incredibly concerned if a high school student or a 20yro is unable to do this

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Home ec was my favourite class in high school, I sewed an apron which I then wore while baking muffins.

hawowanlawow posted:

the best pokemon is obviously zapdos

<:mad:>

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

There are actually two since the introduction of regional variants. Galarian Zapdos is a fighting type that moves like a giant roadrunner.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I bow to y'all's superior knowledge of pokemon

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
The only speed limit that shouldn't be exceeded by 10 mph is C.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Beachcomber posted:

The only speed limit that shouldn't be exceeded by 10 mph is C.

You Slow Zoners do not speak for those of us in the High Beyond and certainly not for the Transcend

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Zapdos isn one of a kind in universe it’s just absurdly rare

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
State Sen. Wiener proposes speed governors to reduce traffic deaths in California

Look, I'll be honest: I don't drive and have no idea if it's a good plan or not. But I think it would be very funny if we all start referring to Gripweed as "State Senator Wiener" whenever they bring it up.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Nameless Pete posted:

State Sen. Wiener proposes speed governors to reduce traffic deaths in California

Look, I'll be honest: I don't drive and have no idea if it's a good plan or not. But I think it would be very funny if we all start referring to Gripweed as "State Senator Wiener" whenever they bring it up.

:hmmyes:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

reported for doxxing

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I do not for the life of me understand why people walk around with someone on a video call on their phone. How is that interesting for either parties

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Nameless Pete posted:

My Christmas is no less valid just because I made the conscious decision to live somewhere with a Mediterranean climate. Saint Nicholas lived on the Turkish Riviera and it's not like it snows in Bethlehem. Honestly, I think it's just a weird artifact of British Imperialism.

White Christmases are far more common in northern North America, Russia, and Scandinavia than England. It rarely snows in England due to the Gulf Stream. If you want to blame anywhere for that image of Christmas blame the Mid-Atlantic, Upper Midwest, and New England regions of the US, which get extremely cold in winter.

Woolie Wool has a new favorite as of 01:49 on Jan 28, 2024

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Or, are least, we used to. Climate Change has lead to increasingly moderate winters here in the Upper Midwest

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

It’s ok to flush paper towels in moderation.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Gripweed posted:

It’s ok to flush paper towels in moderation.

if you rent you can actually flush them all the time

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

prom candy posted:

if you rent you can actually flush them all the time

I believe this is what they call praxis

Also it’s -18c here right now and snow on the ground, expected to get up to 1 next Tuesday. Eat poo poo midwestailures the real steppe is where it’s at.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I rent the bottom unit and it's not some big win for the little guy when my bedroom starts filling up with somebody else's shower water.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Nameless Pete posted:

I rent the bottom unit and it's not some big win for the little guy when my bedroom starts filling up with somebody else's shower water.

You hope it's shower water

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Woolie Wool posted:

White Christmases are far more common in northern North America, Russia, and Scandinavia than England. It rarely snows in England due to the Gulf Stream. If you want to blame anywhere for that image of Christmas blame the Mid-Atlantic, Upper Midwest, and New England regions of the US, which get extremely cold in winter.

Upper Midwest here, Fun Fact! We almost didn't have snow on Christmas this year (and several previous years) because the weather's been hosed up for a while. We got just a light enough dusting that it could be considered a White Christmas, and then we got absolutely blasted by some of the coldest temperatures I've personally ever experienced.

Now it's currently 40 degrees in what is normally the coldest part of January.

Climate Change is loving up ecosystems something fierce, with the usual steady winters becoming much wilder events where the daily forecast teeters on the knife's edge of False Spring and "gently caress You It's January!", which tremendously sucks for any of the local wildlife. It's going to stay 30-40 degrees all week, and if it keeps up, we're going to have things more seriously react to a potential False Spring (flowers/trees budding, more animals being out and active) and then the Polar Vortex will split into three groups, venture all the way down until Texas goes subzero again, and kill off all the budding plants that the awake animals need to eat to survive.

People like to talk about the sea levels rising because it's an easy-to-envision (and permanent, and dire, I understand the severity) consequence of global warming, but "local flora/fauna dying off (or leaving their habitat) because the weather can swing 80 degrees in a single night and back in the other direction, more than once in the same season" is going to gently caress things up tremendously too. Imagine if your fridge had a thermostat that could be set to either -40 or 40, you had no control over it, and you had no way to know which setting it was going to be on when the next day starts.

The farmers also bitch about the soil's moisture content and how they have to offset the relative lack of moisture caused by weak freezes, since it's extremely common to get the wombo combo of "rain falls all day" "temperature suddenly drops to -10 overnight" "temperatures keep dropping the next day, freezing all of the rain into sheets of ice which create additional barriers for snowmelt to get into the topsoil" which also creates fun clips like this one where people are driving on road conditions they're not used to. Or, alternatively, we don't get anywhere near the right amount of cold weather to cause the freeze in the first place, so a ton of people who don't check the ice levels and think "Late January is the safest time of year to go ice fishing!" end up getting stranded for hours on a frozen lake or a stubborn 80 year old guy drowns after his pickup crashes through six inches of ice on a lake that's usually two feet thick.

Edit: all of this not even touching on rampant flooding and drought-filled summers

So basically what I'm saying is, even the places that usually have White Christmases are starting to have less snow on those days, followed by some of the shittiest, least-idyllic winter weather possible. I'd rather celebrate in the Mediterranean. At least they've got good seafood and cook with spices.

bawk has a new favorite as of 07:32 on Jan 30, 2024