Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Weka posted:

Obviously the Irish got it worse but Cromwell wasn't exactly pleasant to the English. There is a reason they were begging for the Frenchified king back.

The English took back the Stuarts because Cromwell's son was a dumbass.

Parliament and the new born but growing bourgeoisie won the civil wars and the Glorious Revolution proved it.

Even Cromwell's rampage and theft in Ireland became a blueprint for a global British empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
https://twitter.com/pslnational/status/1750572241790668864?t=sczR_NBMI01JFRD_zZXFOw&s=19

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Chamale posted:

This doesn't matter in the slightest. Who do you think is making decisions? Capital wanted the Soviet Union to break up, and capitals wants the United States to stay together.

Capital can tell itself that,

But when it comes time to choose between mommy and daddy, it best remember:

It is absolutely its fault.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

It’s 100% this, btw.

And if the US ever does break up, it will the same reason Rome did, its elites didn’t see it being worth the upkeep and usually could get a better deal with some local warlord.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

hawaii should be freed how tf you gonna keep calling your country "the united states of America" when you got a state way the gently caress out in the middle of the pacific ocean

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

how tf you gonna keep calling your country "the united states of America" when you got a state way the gently caress out in the middle of the pacific ocean

a post from 1959????

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Peanut President posted:

a post from 1959????

well either change it to "United States of Earth" or let all non-American states and territories go!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

hawaii should be freed how tf you gonna keep calling your country "the united states of America" when you got a state way the gently caress out in the middle of the pacific ocean
alternatively, america should build a land bridge to hawaii

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

*america all catty*

we don't really want it, we just don't want japan to have it

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

*licks hawaii and sets it back on the tray*

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

i say swears online posted:

*licks hawaii and sets it back on the tray*

Tastes like Puʻu ʻŌʻō

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Chamale posted:

This doesn't matter in the slightest. Who do you think is making decisions? Capital wanted the Soviet Union to break up, and capitals wants the United States to stay together.

DO they? They're international now, they don't give a gently caress about what the US does or if it lives.

Paradoxish posted:

I'd also seriously question any survey that finds that 40% of Democrats in the northeast genuinely support secession.

They don't want to support the disgusting CHUDS in the South or the classless low-lives of the central US that just mooch off them anyway

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Grapplejack posted:

DO they? They're international now, they don't give a gently caress about what the US does or if it lives.

They don't want to support the disgusting CHUDS in the South or the classless low-lives of the central US that just mooch off them anyway

There's still value in the US dollar being the world's reserve currency, I think. The main alternative is the yuan, and that might be enough on its own for them to want the US to keep limping along since if we poo poo the bed entirely, who knows what happens to global finance then.

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Grapplejack posted:

American capitalists are still clearly intent on their own narrow interests, to the point of gleefully ordering their allied European and Japanese capitalists to cut their own throats, at a time when they objectively need them to be stronger and more loyal allies, they are as fanatically nationalist as it gets.

Ironically, it's the Carlson types that are more internationalist, they see their long-term interests as only salvageable by creating a strong united front with certain foreign capitalists, (along racial lines, hence the importance of more explicit white nationalism to their project), even if that means allowing them a less groveling sort of subservience. But that doesn't maximize dividends next quarter, so thankfully they can't go that route.

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

yes, capital is loving dumb as poo poo. it thinks it can exist without the state. it think it can exist without labor. it thinks it grow without limit. just a really dumb thing to have built a country around.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

redleader posted:

"serious" until they realise it means they'd lose money

Lmfao just oil alone. One of the biggest industries in the U.S. is national with Texas as the lynchpin. Don't get me wrong, I think that destroying the U.S. oil industry would be a good thing, but the financial sector doesn't

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Regarding that drug trafficking out of fort Bragg thing, half a milligram of ketamine will do nothing. I think that's a couple orders of magnitude out atleast for a typical recreational dose.

Kreeblah posted:

There's still value in the US dollar being the world's reserve currency, I think. The main alternative is the yuan, and that might be enough on its own for them to want the US to keep limping along since if we poo poo the bed entirely, who knows what happens to global finance then.

The union could split whilst still maintaining a currency union. Like the Euro. The fed is already controlled by regional reserve banks.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Weka posted:

The union could split whilst still maintaining a currency union. Like the Euro. The fed is already controlled by regional reserve banks.

It is today, yes, but if the US splits up, I doubt it would be on friendly enough terms to maintain something like a currency union. Real 'Murca isn't gonna want Commiefornia dictating its monetary policy, the coastal elites aren't going to want the flyover states doing the same, etc.

A viable currency union pretty much requires at least some sort of political union, and a balkanized US probably isn't gonna have that to any significant degree.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Kreeblah posted:

It is today, yes, but if the US splits up, I doubt it would be on friendly enough terms to maintain something like a currency union. Real 'Murca isn't gonna want Commiefornia dictating its monetary policy, the coastal elites aren't going to want the flyover states doing the same, etc.

A viable currency union pretty much requires at least some sort of political union, and a balkanized US probably isn't gonna have that to any significant degree.
Yeah, the current EU solution is not viable, and was basically an attempt to trick Europe into greater federalization. In a scenario where federalization fails, the anti-federal forces will be ascendant and deliberately undermine the union. Like, is there any reason to believe the sovereign governors/newly-minted presidents controlling one of these banks wouldn't start printing dollars, when they get all the benefits while sharing the burden with everyone else?

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Lmfao just oil alone. One of the biggest industries in the U.S. is national with Texas as the lynchpin. Don't get me wrong, I think that destroying the U.S. oil industry would be a good thing, but the financial sector doesn't

The thing with capitalism is that it is, at the end of the day, an accumulation of useless middle men trying to gently caress each other and trying (successfully) to gently caress the working class. That's why you form a bourgeois government in the first place; you want to keep their baser instincts in check so that no one capitalist gets to take everything, and the capitalist class gets to work together as a class. As the government starts to fail, the capitalist with the means and lack of wherewithal to understand the system will take advantage.

So, yes, at some point some point some oil baron will decide to make themselves the grand warlord of the Texas republic, and even if the capitalist class will squeal in anger, none will have the ability to corral their class together to stop them. Other local failsons will watch what happens and think "hey, I can do that too." I don't think that will happen today, but it's undoubtedly on the horizon.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

well either change it to "United States of Earth" or let all non-American states and territories go!

or we could just pull a britain and add "and the pacific" at the end like they did with ireland

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Kreeblah posted:

There are some currency unions currently existing without significant political union, such as the two African Francs and the Rands use by Lesotho, Namibia, South Africa and Eswatini.

The people who would be running the currency union would be the bankers, who would continue to maintain good relations with each other. Perhaps one balk country would leave the currency union but its immediate economic collapse would encourage it to rejoin and discourage others from leaving.

Also this is a pretty good balk map

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Weka posted:

There are some currency unions currently existing without significant political union, such as the two African Francs and the Rands use by Lesotho, Namibia, South Africa and Eswatini.

The people who would be running the currency union would be the bankers, who would continue to maintain good relations with each other. Perhaps one balk country would leave the currency union but its immediate economic collapse would encourage it to rejoin and discourage others from leaving.

Looking forward to all those rust belt and Mississippi delta nations totally collapsing overnight.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

nobody ever includes the territories, good on them

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Weka posted:

Love to see a map which shows how federal bureaucracy gets frozen at a moment and never updates.

California, Arizona, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Utah, and Nevada? Lump em all together, nobody lives there and no banking occurs there.

Kentucky, Mississippi, Missouri, Tennessee, and southern Indiana & Illinois? There's just so much going on that we need to split things up so that the local banks don't need to send telegrams to far-off administrators.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

i say swears online posted:

nobody ever includes the territories, good on them

gotta figure they're all hanging on by a thread at this point if the contiguous united states are talking about breaking up

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

gotta figure they're all hanging on by a thread at this point if the contiguous united states are talking about breaking up
Based on Roman precedent, they'll be the most ardent Americans five hundred years after America is overrun by Mexicans and Canadians.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Texas is on the side of Russia and Palestine and Yemen and Iran and China

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Based on Roman precedent, they'll be the most ardent Americans five hundred years after America is overrun by Mexicans and Canadians.

Puerto Rican King Arthur is a good bit

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I wonder what part of the US would be best suited to an HRE style multilayer system. I think the Northeast. You could give each of the Ivies its own senator, maybe some sort of Duchy of Delmarva, lots of things

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Looking forward to all those rust belt and Mississippi delta nations totally collapsing overnight.
Yeah, I will be honest all those maps with nice borders look nice but I am pretty sure a lot of areas would just be "pretend" countries between real political centers, with some local barons claiming they are states but without anyone powerful claiming them, zones of semi-anarchy.

Toplowtech has issued a correction as of 16:43 on Feb 1, 2024

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

projecthalaxy posted:

I wonder what part of the US would be best suited to an HRE style multilayer system. I think the Northeast. You could give each of the Ivies its own senator, maybe some sort of Duchy of Delmarva, lots of things
First crisis happens when the prince-elector of Princeton University insists that they have sovereignty over the other prince-electors.

Toplowtech posted:

Yeah, I will be honest all those maps with nice borders look nice but I am pretty sure a lot of areas would just be "pretend" countries between real political centers, with some local barons claiming they are states but without anyone powerful claiming them, zones of semi-anarchy.
The real threat to watch out for is Molossia, whose war with East Germany will see it opportunistically expand until it can finally finish off the latter.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I think one of the things I am most looking forward to about America balkanizing is we can stop slandering the Balkans and call it americanizing

Toplowtech posted:

Yes, but what about after balkanization?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

weka, does nz have something comparable to a christofascist/insufferable lib geographic and political divide?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

i'm not weka obvs but i am from nz. we're a lot more secular than the states, so the christofascist element is a lot more fringe. our right is more just plain old fygm privileged white people. they're racist enough, but there's a lot less religious rhetoric about it. we have insufferable libs aplenty though. it's not really geographic apart from the usual thing where cities are more liberal and the countryside more conservative, like anywhere in the world

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I mean... Tarrant...

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

i said fringe, not non-existent :shrug:

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

The Voice of Labor posted:

weka, does nz have something comparable to a christofascist/insufferable lib geographic and political divide?

Short answer, not really. There's a pretty typical urban/rural divide and big differences between different areas within cities.

Compared to America or I guess most of the western world, all but two of our political parties with national representation are left liberals, and I'd say even the furthest right one is to the left of the Democrats on most things. The big two parties certainly are, by a lot.
So we have the insufferable idpol libs, although milder than the USA, and the big right wing party, National, who are mostly just pro big business and don't tend to push back reforms once they have happened. One of their coalition partners is an incoherent mess of traditional, especially older, conservatives and now conspiracy theorists. That's probably the closest analogue to the Republicans, but again, far to the left.
As far as actual christofascists go, the most prominent example is the destiny church, but they're pretty small, over 5000 members 20 years ago but probably half that now.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

i'm not weka obvs but i am from nz. we're a lot more secular than the states, so the christofascist element is a lot more fringe. our right is more just plain old fygm privileged white people. they're racist enough, but there's a lot less religious rhetoric about it. we have insufferable libs aplenty though. it's not really geographic apart from the usual thing where cities are more liberal and the countryside more conservative, like anywhere in the world

Isn't the south island notably more racist and conservative? It's definitely much whiter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I mean... Tarrant...

He is an Australian who had lived here for less than 2 years before committing his vile crimes. Despite this I have gained basically no traction in my campaign to ban Australians.