Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

yes

tell every UPS driver you know to never take a promotion out of the bargaining unit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Capitalism.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

What a Savings

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
ups workers just signed a new contract last year lol

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

hell yeah strikes work

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

RealityWarCriminal posted:

ups workers just signed a new contract last year lol

Looks like it wasn't sustainable!

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
oh it's mostly management. nothing of value was lost

12,000 out of 85,000 managers :rip:

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

Housing will go up when rates start being cut. We saw a bit of a preview when mortgage rates started going down again causing shelter to jump again.

Its going to explode. I was at a house showing recently that had 70-80 potential buyers looking at it lol. Once rates drop that monthly payment gets easier for a lot more people too.

There is also like zero new construction in my area which I don't understand. Houses are like twice the price now versus back in 2020 yet no one is building.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

hell yeah lmao

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

please refer to my previous post about UPS putting as many people on their "management track" as possible

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

they are still managers even if they are duped into it. not sure what your point is.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
oh absolutely, I'm just saying this is specifically their release valve for these type of economic situations. this would be your "clueless" section of the corporate pyramid.

my point was only that I had just posted about this but it got buried at the bottom of the previous page

Pepe Silvia Browne has issued a correction as of 16:44 on Jan 30, 2024

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

please refer to my previous post about UPS putting as many people on their "management track" as possible

lol I had a real dumbass come into a company I worked at as a manager who came from UPS management and used to tell everyone about how he was management at UPS, glad my initial impression of him was correct

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

in response to Covid my previous employer did a pay freeze for 3 years and finally capitulated and gave us all a 2% pay raise in 2023 when people started leaving. it of course made us leave faster.

My wife had just hit tenure which came with a 10% pay raise but the uni worrying about all the lost profits of not getting to force freshmen to stay in a closet for 1k a month in their dorm monopoly immediately slashed salaries across campus by 10%.

I dunno where the idea of rising wages came from but in my sample size of 2 it didn’t happen.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

lol I had a real dumbass come into a company I worked at as a manager who came from UPS management and used to tell everyone about how he was management at UPS, glad my initial impression of him was correct

yeah it's the equivalent of making officer in the IDF, if you have a pulse and stick around past the 90 day mark they will offer to make you an assistant manager to get you out of the union.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Monkey Fracas posted:

What a Savings

Sounds like...excess savings.
:rimshot:

Apr 7, 2003

PoundSand posted:

I dunno where the idea of rising wages came from but in my sample size of 2 it didn’t happen.

The sons and daughters of America's car dealership owners and Burger King franchisees saw massive hiring in the tech sinecure sector in 2020-2021 and that dragged the averages up and created a narrative

My wife has an actual useful job and she's basically lost pay against inflation

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

PoundSand posted:

in response to Covid my previous employer did a pay freeze for 3 years and finally capitulated and gave us all a 2% pay raise in 2023 when people started leaving. it of course made us leave faster.

My wife had just hit tenure which came with a 10% pay raise but the uni worrying about all the lost profits of not getting to force freshmen to stay in a closet for 1k a month in their dorm monopoly immediately slashed salaries across campus by 10%.

even if it doesn't go up at all, or even if it goes down, it's still going up "too much" because capital demands serfdom

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/ARLnowDOTcom/status/1752354451581526328

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

euphronius posted:

they are still managers even if they are duped into it. not sure what your point is.

I think the point is that people who aren't practically managers are still put into the manager job title regardless because it excludes them from a bunch of labor rights that would be pretty useful if you were otherwise still rank-and-file

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

PoundSand posted:

tori's wages (and mine) went up. that cancels you out

Apr 7, 2003

Another bog standard 5-over-1 just opened here, hopefully it'll help alleviate our housing crisis. Wonder how the pricing looks!

https://www.post-gazette.com/busine...es/202401300040

quote:

One-bedroom units start at $2,364 for 726 square feet of space with one bathroom. Two-bedroom units start at $2,942 for 1,003 square feet and two bathrooms. Residents who move into a one-bedroom unit by March 15 can get two months of free rent if they sign a 13-month lease, according to the North Shore Flats website.

hahaha hell yeah

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

My wife has an actual useful job and she's basically lost pay against inflation
Yeah that seems like the story of most of the places out here, we admittedly don’t have any fart app developers but the only rising wages I saw was incredibly desperate fast food places for about a year in 2020. The rest of the major employers used Covid as an excuse to tighten their budget and considering how high inflation was basically everyone makes less money than they did in 2019 unless they changed jobs.

Truniht
Jan 10, 2019

Another bog standard 5-over-1 just opened here, hopefully it'll help alleviate our housing crisis. Wonder how the pricing looks!

https://www.post-gazette.com/busine...es/202401300040

hahaha hell yeah

In Pittsburgh have they lost their minds for reference you could get a two bedroom in San Francisco for this kind of money

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Beached Whale posted:

how long will it take for people to learn that you need to phone it in doing the bare minimum, you're gonna get cut regardless when the axe starts to fall. how can we teach the zoomers that working hard benefits your boss not you

Don't underestimate the amount of grindset propaganda coming from absolutely every angle. It takes years of experience to understand how badly management will abuse you for the sin of working hard or caring, and most people never, ever, come to that realization no matter how little forward progress they make.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
I got a 2% raise with a stellar performance review. I'm already overpaid for the work I can actually get done, so I'm not too discombobulated about my own situation, but I know all of this is not fair to most other workers. I wish we could convince the CHUDS. It feels so hopeless.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Truniht posted:

In Pittsburgh have they lost their minds for reference you could get a two bedroom in San Francisco for this kind of money

That's just what rental pricing looks like anywhere that anyone might theoretically want to live. Apartments are even more expensive in my little corner of CT and I don't live in anything that could really be called a city.

Apr 7, 2003

Truniht posted:

I mean, they're not building this poo poo to lose money and the people building it know their pricing is way out of line for the market. So there's some angle here they're going to make money on that isn't $3K/mo for 726 square feet but I have no idea what it is.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Truniht posted:

No that's about what it costs everywhere now.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i got a 19% raise with a stellar performance review last year, have you tried working in mid level product management making unnecessary toys for well off people?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think the point is that people who aren't practically managers are still put into the manager job title regardless because it excludes them from a bunch of labor rights that would be pretty useful if you were otherwise still rank-and-file

this is the position I'm in currently. it's an entry level job at a company that has similar work being done by unionized members but my title has Manager in it so I'm not eligible for the bargaining unit. I think it's pretty common in Huge companies.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
It is still probably way too high for the area, but Portland is $2400-2600 for a new 2 bedroom. America is an expensive place to try to survive in.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

i used to live near there

that mcd's is like 100 feet away from the big artery going in-out of DC so some mornings there'd be like a quarter mile line to get your treats on the way to work

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

euphronius posted:

yes

tell every UPS driver you know to never take a promotion out of the bargaining unit

this happened to my cousin and within a year he got driven totally crazy by UPS Corporate and jumped to FedEx which was apparently even worse as a driver and then just quit the field entirely .

Apr 7, 2003

There is a similar 5-over-1 built about three miles from that one a decade ago that's changed it's name twice to escape bad publicity. Doors and drawers don't close properly and the roof leaks constantly and pricing there ain't far off either.

\

That particular design of building seems real lovely

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

In Training posted:

this happened to my cousin and within a year he got driven totally crazy by UPS Corporate and jumped to FedEx which was apparently even worse as a driver and then just quit the field entirely .

yeah FedEx I believe you're technically an independent contractor despite driving a giant truck with FEDEX on the side

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

Drive thrus should be illegal. Get out of your car if you want your slop

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

ah
my neighborhoods gigantic purpose built air bnb 3bd 6ba house that rented for $350 a night is now up for rent

$5500/mo

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Beached Whale posted:

Drive thrus should be illegal. Get out of your car if you want your slop

It's like you want people to get covid on principle here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dk2m
May 6, 2009

PoundSand posted:

what happened was that during covid, labor suddenly gained some power because they could walk out from lovely jobs and therefore demanded higher wages in their next one.

but then suddenly “inflation”, whatever the gently caress this means anymore, started being a problem again and so wages were pushed downwards by needing to raise unemployment - this is how all the smart neoliberals framed it for us

then the banking crisis happened where because of the response to inflation, rates became high enough to wobble the commercial banking sector’s liquidity/solvency which then caused Silicon Valley to falter due to VCs pulling back on giving everyone money to create fake middle man apps. that rippled out everywhere as once fart apps no longer needed developing, thousands were let go and other industries also followed suit

wages rising domestically is a big problem for a system that relies on the systematic exploitation of foreign workers because the cost structure of domestic workers need to account for all the privatized payments like healthcare, education and housing whereas foreign workers often have free education, free healthcare and low housing costs. this is all coming to a head in the TSMC move where they cannot make a profit here due to how expensive doing in America is. the current definition of inflation is divorced from both material and political reality and takes in the most narrow of definitions that it’s just another word to signal the ongoing crushing of labor