Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Another bog standard 5-over-1 just opened here, hopefully it'll help alleviate our housing crisis. Wonder how the pricing looks!

https://www.post-gazette.com/busine...es/202401300040

hahaha hell yeah

That is about what the units are going for that were built outside a mall 30ish miles West of Chicago. Kinda blew my mind that new apartments that are not near any sort of transit are going for that much. Admittedly, the mall is still reasonably healthy, most of the stores and outbuildings are filled (guessing 80-90% occupancy). But are 20 - 30 year olds actually renting within walking distance of a mall so they can hit a lovely bar or restaurant on foot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVodkE47aLw&t=5s

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

i am harry posted:

ah
my neighborhoods gigantic purpose built air bnb 3bd 6ba house that rented for $350 a night is now up for rent

$5500/mo

Bathrooms are for customers premium consumers only

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

dk2m posted:

what happened was that during covid, labor suddenly gained some power because they could walk out from lovely jobs and therefore demanded higher wages in their next one.

but then suddenly “inflation”, whatever the gently caress this means anymore, started being a problem again and so wages were pushed downwards by needing to raise unemployment - this is how all the smart neoliberals framed it for us

then the banking crisis happened where because of the response to inflation, rates became high enough to wobble the commercial banking sector’s liquidity/solvency which then caused Silicon Valley to falter due to VCs pulling back on giving everyone money to create fake middle man apps. that rippled out everywhere as once fart apps no longer needed developing, thousands were let go and other industries also followed suit

wages rising domestically is a big problem for a system that relies on the systematic exploitation of foreign workers because the cost structure of domestic workers need to account for all the privatized payments like healthcare, education and housing whereas foreign workers often have free education, free healthcare and low housing costs. this is all coming to a head in the TSMC move where they cannot make a profit here due to how expensive doing in America is. the current definition of inflation is divorced from both material and political reality and takes in the most narrow of definitions that it’s just another word to signal the ongoing crushing of labor

yep. tsmc is finding out why the manufacturing jobs left america in the first place. you dont make money by producing things in an economy designed by and for parasites who live by extracting rent and skimming off the top

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Eh inflation is real if only because energy prices are and they clearly went up across 2022 and stayed elevated. Otherwise, yeah there has been attempt to put downward pressure on wages while high mortgage rates have accelerated rent making life still miserable for most Americans.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

my health care premiums were raised this year + they dropped the largest hospital chain in my city from coverage. Hype.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Truniht posted:

In Pittsburgh have they lost their minds for reference you could get a two bedroom in San Francisco for this kind of money

my 1br in pittsburgh in college in 2012 in a hip neighborhood was $650/month, a 1BR in a fancy tower nearby was $900. before that I lived with my friends in a 7 BR house for $2500 for the entire thing. minimum wage there is still $7.25 lol

dk2m
May 6, 2009
I agree that inflation is real, but what’s happened is that the word itself can be interpreted in many different metrics and ways, the one that is now primarily used in neoliberal economics is almost entirely commodity goods, but our policy steer doesnt take into account things like financial products, housing, education costs, etc. if you solely just look at how much bananas have increased year on year, you’re not tracking inflation, you’re just tracking the change in price of bananas.

the overarching policy decision to keep inflation low since the neoliberal era is to make sure that labor costs stay low enough to financialize gains into the stock market. commodity prices increasing isn’t an issue as long as wages keep pace, which is now deliberately framed as a casual law instead of a political-economy framework that can be democratically altered

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Economy recovered
https://twitter.com/FirstSquawk/status/1752346298211062108?s=19

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

i am harry posted:

ah
my neighborhoods gigantic purpose built air bnb 3bd 6ba house that rented for $350 a night is now up for rent

$5500/mo

correction - it’s been listed for rent since September, around $2000 a month and has just had its rental price revised to $5500 a month

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

RealityWarCriminal posted:

ups workers just signed a new contract last year lol

got to pay for it somehow :shrug:

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I have said it multiple times over the years but a LOT of problems could be solved if rents weren't so loving high. It's such a huge knock on impact that braindead economists don't consider. It's a loving black hole anchor around the economy that contributes nothing.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Biden coasting into an easy win. democracy saved! jobs jobs jobs!

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

dk2m posted:

I agree that inflation is real, but what’s happened is that the word itself can be interpreted in many different metrics and ways, the one that is now primarily used in neoliberal economics is almost entirely commodity goods, but our policy steer doesnt take into account things like financial products, housing, education costs, etc. if you solely just look at how much bananas have increased year on year, you’re not tracking inflation, you’re just tracking the change in price of bananas.

the overarching policy decision to keep inflation low since the neoliberal era is to make sure that labor costs stay low enough to financialize gains into the stock market. commodity prices increasing isn’t an issue as long as wages keep pace, which is now deliberately framed as a casual law instead of a political-economy framework that can be democratically altered

It is probably because cost of living needs to be permantely seperated as concept, you could have inflation slow and the cost of living still rising. The Fed btw doesn't at all care about the cost of living of the population only versus core inflation (and even core inflation usually lags headline inflation).

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Justin Tyme posted:

I have said it multiple times over the years but a LOT of problems could be solved if rents weren't so loving high. It's such a huge knock on impact that braindead economists don't consider. It's a loving black hole anchor around the economy that contributes nothing.

Barbara Ehrenreich wrote about high rents/COL meaning that service workers in places like Key West had to live a long distance from their jobs. Twenty years on and it's literally happening everywhere urbanized.

There's a new county executive here and her big thing is asking county residents what they'd like to see. For some reason "fewer $60/plate sushi places or bank branches downtown and more public transit so the workers who keep everything moving can get to work" doesn't seem to be resonating like tax breaks to attract employers is.

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

Justin Tyme posted:

but it makes GDP go up so clearly it makes us happier?

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I cannot imagine the white hot apoplectic rage that would come down from landlords if there ever was a "transparency in renting" bill that required monthly line-item accounting reports from landlords to renters detailing exactly what rent money comes in and what it is spent on

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Justin Tyme posted:

what are you talking about, it contributes to the upward flow and concentration of wealth. a society by capitalists for capitalists, enjoying all time highs, working as intended

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Justin Tyme posted:

I cannot imagine the white hot apoplectic rage that would come down from landlords if there ever was a "transparency in renting" bill that required monthly line-item accounting reports from landlords to renters detailing exactly what rent money comes in and what it is spent on

We should immediately enact this hypothetical bill.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Justin Tyme posted:

in the near future when everyone’s renting this will be one of the dems platforms

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1752377174345011490?t=Luvg6mR-95Pjnb_GMXer-A&s=19

Say NO, Jay!

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

borrowers should be able to specify their own rates imo

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

whoa, it's practically imperceptible! is that a pair of sunglasses??

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

The rate cut pleading combined with the non-stop insistence that the economy is big and strong and good is one of the funniest plotlines this year.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

quote:

The Vision Pro’s speakers are housed in the arms on the side, and they are good and loud and do a convincing job of rendering spatial audio. Things really sound like they are happening where they appear to be happening, which is a neat trick. The speakers are also pretty leaky, so everyone else around you can hear what you’re up to unless you use headphones. You can use any Bluetooth headphones you want, but you get a bunch of extra features if you use the latest AirPods Pro, like lower latency, lossless 48KHz audio, and Apple’s Adaptive Audio system, which automatically mixes in sound from the real world as appropriate.

Since you’ll mostly experience the Vision Pro in there, the most noticeable thing about the hardware after a while is that it’s just… heavy. You’re supposed to wear this thing on your face for long stretches of computer time, and depending on which band and light seal you use, the headset alone weighs between 600 and 650 grams. I keep joking that the Vision Pro is an iPad for your face, but it’s heavier than an 11-inch iPad Pro (470 grams) and pushing close to a 12.9-inch iPad Pro (682 grams), so in a very real way, it’s an iPad for your face.

All of the Vision Pro’s heft is totally front-loaded, too. Other big headsets like the Quest Pro (722 grams) have elaborate headbands to balance out their weight, but the Vision Pro just rests it all on the front. Swapping to the dual loop strap helps keep things more stable but doesn’t really reduce the overall sensation of having all that headset on your face. You’re just going to feel it after a while.

lol

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

i am harry posted:

ah

$5500/mo

what, why? huh

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Jesus headset weight and fatigue have been a huge known issue for years now I would think Apple of all people would understand that

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

My wife has an actual useful job and she's basically lost pay against inflation

your wife's a lawyer dawg

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Justin Tyme posted:

Jesus headset weight and fatigue have been a huge known issue for years now I would think Apple of all people would understand that

i don't think it's gonna become the popular new gadget everyone has to have like the iPod and iPhone were but idk if that matters anymore, they have a certain percentage of uppercrust nimrods by the balls as long as they keep making products that are expensive and exclusive

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Justin Tyme posted:

the battery isn't hotswappable either so the whole thing shuts down

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

quote:

The displays have other limitations: the field of view isn’t huge, and the essential nature of looking at tiny displays through lenses makes that field of view feel even smaller. Apple won’t tell me the exact number, but the Vision Pro’s field of view is certainly smaller than the Quest 3’s 110 horizontal degrees. That means there are fairly large black borders around what you’re seeing, a bit like you’re looking through binoculars.

On top of that, there’s a little bit of distortion and vignetting around the edges of the lenses, and you’ll see some green and pink color fringing at the edges as well, especially in bright environments. All of this makes the usable field of view feel even smaller. If you’re looking at something bright or otherwise high contrast — a white text window floating above a dark desert landscape, for example — you’ll see highlights reflecting in the lenses.

this sounds loving awful lol. they should have just canned it halfway through

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Paradoxish posted:

The rate cut pleading combined with the non-stop insistence that the economy is big and strong and good is one of the funniest plotlines this year.

Jonesing for a hit of that sweet sweet ZIRP

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Justin Tyme posted:

Apple doesn't give a gently caress and doesn't need to give a gently caress. Nothing matters for them anymore. Nombre soars

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

the track being constructed just ahead of the train car is robust and sound

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

$3500 baby!

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

i don't think it's gonna become the popular new gadget everyone has to have like the iPod and iPhone were but idk if that matters anymore, they have a certain percentage of uppercrust nimrods by the balls as long as they keep making products that are expensive and exclusive

Apparently they sold out of preorders but given the lack of interest from 3rd party developers I can't see it taking off, especially considering it doesn't really have any compelling improvements over e.g. the bigscreen beyond which actually has a comfortable enough lightweight form factor that doesn't crush your skull

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

quote:

Speaking of the Mac, I know a lot of people are excited about the idea of buying a Vision Pro just to put up giant virtual monitors. There’s good news and bad news about that. The good news is that Mac display sharing works really well, and Apple ecosystem tricks like Handoff and Continuity are pure magic in this context. You can copy on your Mac and paste in visionOS, and it just works. You can open your Mac display in visionOS and drag the mouse off the screen, and suddenly, your Mac’s keyboard and trackpad are controlling visionOS apps. It works just like it does between a Mac and an iPad. I found myself putting a virtual Mac display over my MacBook Pro’s screen and making it look like I had a 50-inch laptop to use Lightroom with — it’s awesome.

There is a lot of very complicated display scaling going on behind the scenes here, but the easiest way to think about it is that you’re basically getting a 27-inch Retina display, like you’d find on an iMac or Studio Display. Your Mac thinks it’s connected to a 5K display with a resolution of 5120 x 2880, and it runs macOS at a 2:1 logical resolution of 2560 x 1440, just like a 5K display. (You can pick other resolutions, but the device warns you that they’ll be lower quality.) That virtual display is then streamed as a 4K 3560 x 2880 video to the Vision Pro, where you can just make it as big as you want. The upshot of all of this is that 4K content runs at a native 4K resolution — it has all the pixels to do it, just like an iMac — but you have a grand total of 2560 x 1440 to place windows in, regardless of how big you make the Mac display in space, and you’re not seeing a pixel-perfect 5K image.

It is incredible that all of this works with just a single button click, but all that scaling complication also explains the bad news: you can only have a single Mac display in visionOS. You can’t have multiple Mac monitors floating in space. Maybe next time.

lmfao it can't do the one thing it might have been vaguely useful for (just buy a 49" ultrawide you loving idiot)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

VR will never happen. It's just stupid. Look at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ive seen probably 100x more vr headsets in ads that ARENT about VR (like there's always some clueless Dad in a VR headset before they all go out to eat at Applebee's etc.) than I've seen in real life or in ads trying to actually sell me VR lol.