Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

rotinaj posted:

Weird that looking into right wing influencers keeps resulting in finding that they are nazis

Lmao I had no idea who Owen Benjamin is. Not really sure what we’re supposed to do instead of sharing dumb opinions from right wing nazis in the thread where we share and laugh at dumb opinions of right wing nazis.

You can’t fool me. This is a Fancy Hat quote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Hazo posted:

Lmao I had no idea who Owen Benjamin is. Not really sure what we’re supposed to do instead of sharing dumb opinions from right wing nazis in the thread where we share and laugh at dumb opinions of right wing nazis.

this is the lol trump thread not the lol nazis thread

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Dapper_Swindler posted:

revelations is probably about nero and other poo poo. its alot like the exile texts in jewish texts that were written during and soon after the Babylonian captivity. actual religious history is interesting so it annoys me that most weird evangelicals dont actuall read the stuff or the history because they need to believer in literalism.

Yeah, and I've also seen stuff that suggests John got into some mushrooms and that explains some of the imagery, but really it's a lot of specific symbolism mixed with contemporary word/number cryptography to tell the story of the fall of Rome through a "Revenge of the Christ" lens. Which is part of why the current cult is so caught up in that view of Christ, and not the "maybe don't go around killing and torturing people over minor slights" Jesus Hippie.

There's a LOT of history with the Oil industry intertwining itself with American churches in the late 19th and early 20th centuries; the short version is that oil prospectors figured out quick that oil drilling was disgusting, dangerous and often fatal work so they needed a bunch of suckers good, loyal, hardworking people to do the work that nobody else wanted any part of. There was a LOT of showy circus poo poo going on, like 'divining' for oil, and praying to 'find' prospects. They treat oil like mana from heaven, and beause at the time they had less understanding of exactly what it was, where it came from, or how much there actually was, they kinda leaned into the end-time narrative -- if this dries up, the end is here.

Anyway, once this all goes corporate, John Rockefeller of Standard Oil realizes how useful it is to keep stringing these people along, he essentially invents prosperity gospel. To quote him, “I believe the power to make money is a gift from God. Having been endowed with the gifts I possess, I believe it is my duty to make money and still more money, and to use the money I make for the good of my fellow man according to the dictates of my conscience.” One company responsible for building oil-drilling equipment would allow their warehouses to be used for church services, and also bankrolled evangelical ministers like Billy Graham. And men like Billy Graham have been at the forefront of preaching that "we are in the end times," which is a sentiment that has been steadily accelerating in the US as the oil industry comes under fire for the pollution it creates. Graham has also been involved in politics since Truman as a 'spiritual advisor,' all the way to Trump.

So it's not hard to see where they're keeping the grift going, as we desperately need to stop using fossil fuel as a species while the industry is weaponizing Christianity to defend it from extinction.

TremorX fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 30, 2024

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Randalor posted:

Wait, not going well for Disney or DeSantis? Because that reads like DeSantis is about to enter "Finding out" territory of FAFO.

i think they mean desantis.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
it would be funny if this one-sided outrage spurs taylor to actually get political

beef sweat
Jan 1, 2013

bird food bathtub posted:

It's loving amazing. She hasn't even *DONE* anything. She just, exists, and they're in a blind, frothing rage because Pissbaby Supreme directs them to as he can't handle the ego hit of someone else existing. ME ME LOOK AT ME TALK ABOUT ME I'M IMPORTANT IT'S ME TALK ABOUT ME. Wild rear end case of narcissism it's god drat amazing.

I think she once, as a woman, criticized restrictive abortion policies and encouraged her fans to register to vote to prevent such restrictions. So, yes, a woman exists and had an opinion about something that directly impacts her life.

Better attack her and hundreds of millions of her adoring fans to show her who’s boss.
:chaostrump:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

kazil posted:

I have some terrible news to share with you about a large portion of Trump supporters.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Rhonne posted:

I have some terrible news to share with you about a large portion of Trump supporters.

Yeah, lots of nazis. Doesn't mean we need to link all of them

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

TremorX posted:

Yeah, and I've also seen stuff that suggests John got into some mushrooms and that explains some of the imagery, but really it's a lot of specific symbolism mixed with contemporary word/number cryptography to tell the story of the fall of Rome through a "Revenge of the Christ" lens. Which is part of why the current cult is so caught up in that view of Christ, and not the "maybe don't go around killing and torturing people over minor slights" Jesus Hippie.

There's a LOT of history with the Oil industry intertwining itself with American churches in the late 19th and early 20th centuries; the short version is that oil prospectors figured out quick that oil drilling was disgusting, dangerous and often fatal work so they needed a bunch of suckers good, loyal, hardworking people to do the work that nobody else wanted any part of. There was a LOT of showy circus poo poo going on, like 'divining' for oil, and praying to 'find' prospects. They treat oil like mana from heaven, and beause at the time they had less understanding of exactly what it was, where it came from, or how much there actually was, they kinda leaned into the end-time narrative -- if this dries up, the end is here.

Anyway, once this all goes corporate, the John Rockefeller of Standard Oil realize how useful it is to keep stringing these people along, he essentially invented prosperity gospel. To quote him, “I believe the power to make money is a gift from God. Having been endowed with the gifts I possess, I believe it is my duty to make money and still more money, and to use the money I make for the good of my fellow man according to the dictates of my conscience.” One company responsible for building oil-drilling equipment would allow their warehouses to be used for church services, and also bankrolled evangelical ministers like Billy Graham. And men like Billy Graham have been at the forefront of preaching that "we are in the end times," which is a sentiment that has been steadily accelerating in the US as the oil industry comes under fire for the pollution it creates. Graham has also been involved in politics since Truman as a 'spiritual advisor,' all the way to Trump.

So it's not hard to see where they're keeping the grift going, as we desperately need to stop using fossil fuel as a species while the industry is weaponizing Christianity to defend it from extinction.

yeah. that chernow rockafeller book is great because John parents were pious hard working mother and has dad was some gaston looking mother fucker who would do cartoon level con man poo poo constantly.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

kazil posted:

I have some information about Trump that you may find shocking.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
the most important thing is the lols

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

beef sweat posted:

I think she once, as a woman, criticized restrictive abortion policies and encouraged her fans to register to vote to prevent such restrictions. So, yes, a woman exists and had an opinion about something that directly impacts her life.

Better attack her and hundreds of millions of her adoring fans to show her who’s boss.

i believe she at one point said that the GOP wasnt the same as when she was a kid and lost its way. which as someone who grew up in the same county as her, i can believe it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hazo posted:

loving lmao babydoll fucker Matt Walsh posted something about the moon landing being real and he’s pissed off his even crazier misogynist fuckboy idiot fans

https://x.com/owenbenjamin/status/1752140996287303883?s=46&t=Y9tN5g_IyRiifSxBmqZbkw

Matt Walsh: I think 16 year old girls are the most fuckable form of woman on the planet.

Chuds: Cool and good.

Matt Walsh: Also the Moon landing was real.

Chuds: KILL THIS loving PERVERT!

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Regrettable posted:

I have some information about Trump that you may find shocking.

he was able to correctly identify a whale

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

nine-gear crow posted:

Matt Walsh: I think 16 year old girls are the most fuckable form of woman on the planet.

Chuds: Cool and good.

Matt Walsh: Also the Moon landing was real.

Chuds: KILL THIS loving PERVERT!

Boy that mask flies off fast, and frequently underneath lies weird, gross poo poo.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

this twink is gonna do great in jail

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Stink Billyums posted:

it would be funny if this one-sided outrage spurs taylor to actually get political

It seems like a logical response. She did nothing, and now she's the Enemy of the Moment.

Who wouldn't take that personally? And you can't reason or sate that monster. She can't come out and say "I'm not political", they wouldn't believe her.

So, instead, push back. Fight back. Get political.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

LifeSunDeath posted:

DO NOT POSE IN TOILETS FOR SELFIES!!! omg

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

LifeSunDeath posted:

Lol I'm fairly certain that plate carrier doesn't actually have plates in it

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

The "cancel culture is toxic for the free exchange of ideas" and also "holy war against a singer because she hasn't endorsed the things we like" party

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Republicans vs. Taylor Swift is the funniest loving 2024 outcome possible as an entire political party goes to war with the most popular pop star on the planet.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Hey this is wrong and unfair! Elephants are third! Whales are second.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Mudlark
Nov 10, 2009

TremorX posted:

Anyway, once this all goes corporate, John Rockefeller of Standard Oil realizes how useful it is to keep stringing these people along, he essentially invents prosperity gospel. To quote him, “I believe the power to make money is a gift from God. Having been endowed with the gifts I possess, I believe it is my duty to make money and still more money, and to use the money I make for the good of my fellow man according to the dictates of my conscience.” One company responsible for building oil-drilling equipment would allow their warehouses to be used for church services, and also bankrolled evangelical ministers like Billy Graham. And men like Billy Graham have been at the forefront of preaching that "we are in the end times," which is a sentiment that has been steadily accelerating in the US as the oil industry comes under fire for the pollution it creates. Graham has also been involved in politics since Truman as a 'spiritual advisor,' all the way to Trump.

Okay, I grew up literally sitting on stage next to Billy Graham and Benny Hinn and the like and never once copped an oil industry explicit connection. Got any books or links or anything you'd recommend on it? Because it basically makes the last piece of the puzzle fall into place in my head very handily.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

beef sweat posted:

Yeah this was in that documentary about her. I think it was one of the awful anti-choice votes in her home state of Tennessee around 2019, and she was agonizing about publicly taking a stance because she didn’t want all the attacks. Ultimately after a lot of discussion with people close to her, she came out against it, the legislation passed anyway, and she was really upset.

So yeah she’s clearly a virulent baby-killing bluehaired activist bent on destroying are cuntry

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Serious_Cyclone posted:

The "cancel culture is toxic for the free exchange of ideas" and also "holy war against a singer because she hasn't endorsed the things we like" party

It is very uhhhhh conservative to declare a jihad on women, to be fair.

beef sweat
Jan 1, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i believe she at one point said that the GOP wasnt the same as when she was a kid and lost its way. which as someone who grew up in the same county as her, i can believe it.

So you’re telling me that Reagan DIDN’T incessantly claim he was more popular than Michael Jackson as he poo poo himself and stared directly into a solar eclipse?!? And here I thought the modern GOP was business as usual!

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

SlurredSpeech609 posted:

He's just always had this grudge against pop stars and their popularity.

As has been stated before, Trump just believes he should be famous and well known and beloved for existing.

He might never have run for President if some network had given him a chat show. He just wants to be adored to fill in that hole where Fred Christ trump’s parental love never was

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

strong move

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

dr_rat posted:

Hey this is wrong and unfair! Elephants are third! Whales are second.

:habba:

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Republicans vs. Taylor Swift is the funniest loving 2024 outcome possible as an entire political party goes to war with the most popular pop star on the planet.
2024 Goal List:

- Trump toilet death
- Divorced Ron DeSantis
- Taylor Swift Super Bowl win

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Mudlark posted:

Okay, I grew up literally sitting on stage next to Billy Graham and Benny Hinn and the like and never once copped an oil industry explicit connection. Got any books or links or anything you'd recommend on it? Because it basically makes the last piece of the puzzle fall into place in my head very handily.

Here's the article I started with:
https://www.bostonreview.net/articles/kim-phillips-fein-anointed-oil/

What's funny is the Darren Dochuk book actually tries to have a "look how much us Christians helped! Isn't that neat?" angle.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Is there a particular reason why she's so popular? Not asking from a "I don't even listen to your, what do you call it, 'pop' music? How droll" perspective. I just don't know why this pop star, specifically, seems to have such a huge amount of control over media.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Is there a particular reason why she's so popular? Not asking from a "I don't even listen to your, what do you call it, 'pop' music? How droll" perspective. I just don't know why this pop star, specifically, seems to have such a huge amount of control over media.

She writes catchy music that a lot of people like.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Does Swift even notice or care about what the GOP say about her? She's rich and famous and beloved by people all over the world. Why would she care about what some nazi nobody on twitter or some talkinghead on Fox has to say about her?

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Rhonne posted:

Does Swift even notice or care about what the GOP say about her? She's rich and famous and beloved by people all over the world. Why would she care about what some nazi nobody on twitter or some talkinghead on Fox has to say about her?

'Cause the players gonna play, play, play, play, play
And the haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate
Baby, I'm just gonna shake, shake, shake, shake, shake
I shake it off, I shake it off (hoo-hoo-hoo)
Heartbreakers gonna break, break, break, break, break
And the fakers gonna fake, fake, fake, fake, fake
Baby, I'm just gonna shake, shake, shake, shake, shake
I shake it off, I shake it off (hoo-hoo-hoo)

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Accipiter posted:

Yeah, I get that, I can see why she's popular. I was just wondering if she lucked out or if there was some reason why she seems to have a hydraulic jump in influence over many other people who also write catchy music that a lot of people like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beef sweat
Jan 1, 2013

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Some of this:

quote:

Her accolades include 12 Grammy Awards, a Primetime Emmy Award, 40 American Music Awards, 40 Billboard Music Awards, and 23 MTV Video Music Awards.

But mostly this:

Accipiter posted: