Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

rotor posted:

just use numbers higher than 255?? doesnt seem hard imo

there's even 26 letters to use

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Internet Janitor posted:

every graphical operating system has apis for opening a window, flipping a texture to that window, and obtaining keyboard and pointer events

smoothing out the differences between these apis to achieve a portable and reasonably performant common denominator is a gigantic pain in the rear end. multiple very complicated open source libraries exist to achieve this goal, with varying amounts of additional bells and whistles: SDL, raylib, allegro, etc

it would be nice if the creators of more languages and language ecosystems considered being able to do that sort of poo poo out of the box essential, rather than some kind of esoteric distraction from the real language approach of offering stdio and leaving users to write their own bindings to C libraries if they need anything else

they have that already, its called html5

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

programming language idea: java, but with html5 literals, and more support for functional programming so that someone could write a popular library that halfass emulates haskell

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

fart simpson posted:

programming language idea: java, but with html5 literals, and more support for functional programming so that someone could write a popular library that halfass emulates haskell

just VMs all the way down

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

fart simpson posted:

don't forget to have the self-hosted compiler as dogshit slow as humanly possible

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Dijkstracula posted:

don't forget to have the self-hosted compiler as dogshit slow as humanly possible

good catch!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

fart simpson posted:

they have that already, its called html5

"html (living standard)", excuse you

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Dijkstracula posted:

it's self-hosting, but only because the compiler was mechanically translated from another, faster language

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

fart simpson posted:

Dijkstracula posted:

here you go http://www.impredicative.com/ur/

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

he'll yes

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

now this page right here tells me everything i need to know. this is a pure programming language

http://www.impredicative.com/ur/tutorial/

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
row types seem really cool. I’ve never done any ML but it seems super sweet.

over in “doesn’t really check types” land, I’ve used MATLAB’s data tables in vaguely row-type like ways ("""polymorphic""" functions for working with general time series assume there’s a column t; working with intervals assumes there’s a t0 and tf, etc etc). I guess you can do the same thing but actually get some type checking over in TypeScript. Idk how easy it is to get the duck-typing + type checking experience in Python.

yeh, I know the ML row polymorphism is better

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
even if some sort of low-level cross-platform graphics library is a good idea to build into a stdlib, i do not think that c++ is the lang that should pioneer this

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

or just use Skia / whatever wraps skia in your language

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

redleader posted:

even if some sort of low-level cross-platform graphics library is a good idea to build into a stdlib, i do not think that c++ is the lang that should pioneer this

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Sagacity posted:

redleader posted:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Sagacity posted:

speaking of which, did they merge that entire proposed 2d rendering library into the standard library yet

iirc the reason for inclusion was "it would really improve C++ adoption among students" which is clearly the thing the STL should be focusing on

nope

a couple proponents got real pissy when the objections started rolling in too, almost like they were trying to fly under the radar with their pile of bullshit

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

leper khan posted:

was the problem that the committee was being kind and not telling the person "lol. lmao. no." amd instead giving constructive feedback on a proposal that would never accept?

no, the people submitting the proposal are part of the committee and thought well of by other members of the committee, by and large

but it turns out that they’re not the only people whose votes need to be considered

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Internet Janitor posted:

it would be nice if the creators of more languages and language ecosystems considered being able to do that sort of poo poo out of the box essential, rather than some kind of esoteric distraction from the real language approach of offering stdio and leaving users to write their own bindings to C libraries if they need anything else

no it wouldn’t

instead maybe consider that different platforms are different for any number of reasons and the idea that a language or standard library can “smooth over” differences is so wrong-headed as to be beneath consideration

I learned recently that someone was proposing adding path handling concepts to C++ and (real talk) given the mess that Common Lisp path handling actually is that’s beyond delusional-but-functional and into involuntary-commitment territory IMO

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Internet Janitor posted:

I am emphatically not talking about a "UI framework"; i'm talking about a minimum-viable IO layer like SDL, Raylib, and Allegro, which have been a perfectly acceptable "experience" for building hundreds of thousands of games and applications

they really don’t though

by and large things built with them are either fully immersive games with zero platform UI (which sucks) or absolute garbage

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Internet Janitor posted:

awt and swing look dated and non-native, and are kind of a pain in the rear end to use, but they're functional. with a little effort you can get results comparable in many ways to Qt, but unlike Qt you don't have to run all your code through an insane custom preprocessor

java2d, the graphics foundation that underlies awt, is much closer to what i'm advocating. it provides performant (hardware accelerated where available) and perfectly cross-platform basic canvas-style drawing capabilities

all of these but AWT are absolute loving garbage and bbcode doesn’t let me emphasize that nearly enough

AWT is only mostly loving garbage because at least it explicitly uses native UI wherever possible, the biggest problems are that it’s up to the app(let) developer to ensure the UI layout matches the platform and that it assumes menus are associated with windows rather than applications

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Internet Janitor posted:

at no point have i remotely implied i want to be able to make anything look like it's using native widgets with native styling

and while this is awesome for Decker, it absolutely loving sucks for any applications anyone needs to use to get work done or do other non-optional tasks throughout their day

I honestly, sincerely wish that the iOS App Store had outright rejected applications from day 1 that used non-platform controls where platform controls existed, and that neither web views nor JavaScriptCore were ever a thing

the only other thing I wish with such sincerely about modern platforms is that “consumable” in-app purchases were never a thing, honestly, treating application UI as “branding” has been such an absolute disaster for usability that it’s set the industry back by decades

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

eschaton posted:

I learned recently that someone was proposing adding path handling concepts to C++ and (real talk) given the mess that Common Lisp path handling actually is that’s beyond delusional-but-functional and into involuntary-commitment territory IMO

Common Lisp's path handling is comically complicated by today's standards due to the diversity of file systems it had to support. I don't think it would be nearly as convoluted to design a portable path handling library that intends to support only Windows and Unix paths.

I don't care at all about how C++ people screw up their language, though. I only care when their weird tendencies affect the rest of the world (such as when they insist C header files must also be valid C++).

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i am quite convinced that the idea of consistency of look and feel being important is nonsense. it was some 80s idea which took a bad guess at what made computers hard to use for people, and it is clinging on entirely contrary to the ample evidence that it does not matter the least bit if everything looks the same, as long as things by and large look like the thing people expect, and more important *work* the way people expect. i.e. no defense of random clickable text, and absolutely not for doing a custom text control which e.g. breaks ime or keyboard shortcuts, but the button having a different color? does not matter.

if it made an appreciable difference there would be a large movement to destyle websites.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Vanadium posted:

I see the appeal of just not doing native ui but whenever I have to use some text edit control that implements yet another completely different, wildly insufficient subset of the behaviors that every Windows text box since '95 supported, it does make me feel like a high level widget toolkit ought not only to ship with the programming language but actually be mandatory to use unless you have a waiver from one of those old times HIG experts

such a toolkit ships with your platform of choice and the waiver should be to use something other than it

every time a web view pretending to be an app overrides the standard macOS text editing commands because the webshits who wrote the megabytes of JavaScript depleting my battery thought they knew better than the actual experts working on TextKit, I want to use my fists and their faces to generate some expressionist art

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Athas posted:

Common Lisp's path handling is comically complicated by today's standards due to the diversity of file systems it had to support. I don't think it would be nearly as convoluted to design a portable path handling library that intends to support only Windows and Unix paths.

and thus is bullshit because it assumes Windows and UNIX paths are the only style of paths that will be evermore

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

so, like, kindly rank these two people in level of insanity:

1. the person who suggests we create some convenience functions to manipulating paths, handling the only two cases in use today
2. the person designing a new system deciding to define what a path is/how it works in an entirely different way

like, you figuring that maybe the filesystem tree will become a general (maybe hyper-) graph any moment now?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i am quite convinced that the idea of consistency of look and feel being important is nonsense.

I wish the forum rules let me express how I really feel about this statement

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

so, like, kindly rank these two people in level of insanity:

1. the person who suggests we create some convenience functions to manipulating paths, handling the only two cases in use today
2. the person designing a new system deciding to define what a path is/how it works in an entirely different way

like, you figuring that maybe the filesystem tree will become a general (maybe hyper-) graph any moment now?

there’s a world of difference between “hey let’s create some convenience functions for this codebase” and “hey let’s put path handling in the standard library and force it on all implementations of the language”

the filesystem may become any number of things, why constrain it to what!s common today? maybe record-oriented I/O will become a thing again. maybe relational tables will be integrated with filesystem B-trees again. who knows? why standardize something that doesn’t need to be?

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

eschaton posted:

and thus is bullshit because it assumes Windows and UNIX paths are the only style of paths that will be evermore

The only thing that is bullshit is having to support lovely Windows paths at all. I hope nobody will be daft enough to make something even more complicated.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

also quantum computing might happen so we should really leave it open to the implementation whether if statements have deterministic outcomes or not

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

in other words, I absolute think 1 is worse than 2

I’ve actually used enough systems that have very different but self-consistent ways to organize storage that I think claiming 2 is somehow crazy—or that UNIX and Windows (which is basically UNIX with marginal differences) have “won” and nothing will ever change, which is isomorphic—is itself the crazy thing

content-addressable stores are a thing, for example

relational and document databases are pervasive, why shouldn’t they be treated as part of the filesystem on a platform?

etc.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i too have used lots of systems where there's a plethora of hierarchies of storage in use, as that's all systems really. in every single one in the last 10 years though these have been additional to, and basically refinements within, a perfectly normal hierarchical file system though.

i will give my own expanded answer to the question of sanity here:
1. perfectly sane, provide some ubiquitous baseline functionality for real users
2. insane, it is fine to build a system that does not have a hierarchical file system if you please, every operation then a file not found, which makes sense
3. the eschaton take of "actually provided io apis should be so abstract and general that any imaginable future means of storage fits within it" is absolutely raving lunacy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

eschaton posted:

such a toolkit ships with your platform of choice and the waiver should be to use something other than it

every time a web view pretending to be an app overrides the standard macOS text editing commands because the webshits who wrote the megabytes of JavaScript depleting my battery thought they knew better than the actual experts working on TextKit, I want to use my fists and their faces to generate some expressionist art

are you ok

don’t get me wrong I love the passion and the posts but you’re giving that fart in class poppin veins guy vibes. which just wanna be clear I love. read every word. never stop

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
"your c++ implementation needs to support this filesystem api" and "your c++ implementation needs to do something meaningful with this api even though it's on a platform that doesn't have anything that even remotely looks like a traditional filesystem" are two different statements, and the first does not actually imply the second even if you imagine that somebody creates a c++ implementation for a platform with a stupid filesystem alternative

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

eschaton posted:

Absolutely nobody wants to write and maintain a different implementation of their ui code for each target platform.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

arguably perfect consistency is rapidly arriving as everyone targets and uses the web for everything, just got to ban the legacy alternatives from app stores after that

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

if it made an appreciable difference there would be a large movement to destyle websites.

Firefox's reader view is basically this. Also, having consistent look and feel is very important for accessibility - the wall of custom UI inhibits screenreaders, for instance

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Visions of Valerie posted:

Firefox's reader view is basically this. Also, having consistent look and feel is very important for accessibility - the wall of custom UI inhibits screenreaders, for instance

right, but not specifically in how things are broadly styled is the thing. i.e. complaining about web apps specifically is dubious, as web stuff properly done (and a lot of it is) often works *better* than "native" applications, in that an awful lot of it follows a really friendly scrollable-text-document metaphor, and a few rather simplistic modes of interaction. and then the *styling*, the precise way they choose to have a button look, does not matter that much.

by comparison native applications sure love a swipe or drag which are really troublesome to make accessible in general.

e: but to be clear this is a bit devils advocate, just happens to be relatively easy since it is very much the winning side regardless of merits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
what do you guys think is going to happen to the bespoke platform, which doesn't have a "traditional filesystem", when they skip supporting the c++ filesystem standard? the standard assassins will show up and murder them?