Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pingui posted:

:brainworms:
"Microstructural brain abnormalities, fatigue, and cognitive dysfunction after mild COVID-19"

Pingui posted:

Rough read for the Psychology Today crowd. It ends on a cope node, but the bulk is purestrain doom:

My personal position with all the pre-prints and weird studies that pop up on covid brain damage or whatever is to just ignore them. If covid really does cause brain damage in every single person infected then I'll learn about it when it's plastered all over the front pages of the world's big papers, as in it's actually real.

e: to clarify, I think I'm exercising a healthy skepticism of falling down a "I know something that the mainstream media can't/won't/doesn't want to report on" hole. If doom is real then it won't be some secret whispered about the internet, it'll be something we all hear about very very loudly.

September 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
/r/pics today:

“Nils Bohlin shows off his invention that has saved a million people from death, the 3-point seatbelt”

lmao rookie numbers

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

NeonPunk posted:

We just got discharged. They couldn't find anything wrong with him except for slightly elevated liver enzymes.

He also doesn't have any health insurance at all so I wonder if they just did the most basic stuff and just booted him out asap. We had to use a bed in a hallway and the waiting room was totally packed. Then again it could be an anxiety attack or it's just simply something that isn't detectable with the labs that was done. At least he's now trying to get some health insurance through his work and see if he can find a doctor to take a better look at him (apparently this is the second time since he also felt the same thing Saturday but he didn't tell us)

Heart attack is pretty easy to rule out, sounds like anxiety or panic attack which can feel exactly like a heart attack. A psychiatrist and/or therapist might be better suited to help him.

E: in the meantime, maybe suggest breathing exercises or something else to help manage anxiety. Not a panacea or even guaranteed to help but it’s unlikely to hurt, has a real chance of helping, and most importantly, is free. Box breathing is popular, I like heartrate resonance variability training as it has a bit more evidence to support it. For example:

quote:

Overall, evidence supports RF breathing as a key factor in HRVB. RF breathing, compared to breathing at 1 breath above RF and sitting quietly control group, leads to more positive outcomes, resulted in a more positive mood, a higher LF/HF ratio (a key variable in HRVB), and a decreased BP response to stress. This study contributes to research on HRV showing that breathing at RF, as opposed to breathing near RF, promotes more adaptive physiological and emotional response. Future directions in this line of research include examining these relationships longitudinally over the course of HRVB, to study older age groups, and to explore if these relationships hold in people with clinical diagnoses such as depression or anxiety.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5575449/

10-20 minutes a day of breathing along with one these videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2imt1UCMY

Just a suggestion. Hope everything sorts out with nothing serious and minimal medical bills

The Top G has issued a correction as of 12:41 on Jan 30, 2024

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/pfizer-posts-surprise-profit-demand-115140348.html posted:

Pfizer posts surprise profit as US returns fewer courses of COVID pill

Pfizer reported a surprise quarterly profit on Tuesday, helped by its cost-cutting measures and as the U.S. government returned fewer courses of COVID treatment Paxlovid than it had expected.

The U.S. drugmaker recorded a $3.5 billion revenue reversal related to the treatment during the period for the return of about 6.5 million courses.

Pfizer had forecast a $4.2 billion non-cash charge based on the return of around 7.9 million courses at the end of 2023.
(..)

Indicating that substantially more doses have been used, than expected. Which is unsurprising, considering the JN.1 wave, but nevertheless might pose issues for the continued access to Paxlovid, as I believe this is literally the funding source.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Platystemon posted:

I’ll quote the “positive” side, but reader, I would like you to know that the zone is flooded with variations on “vaxxed???”

Someone asks

OP responds,

Further comments from others:

blood cancer is pretty mild; you just remove the bad blood with basic bloodletting or leeches or if you've got good insurance a scarificator

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

The Top G posted:

Heart attack is pretty easy to rule out, sounds like anxiety or panic attack which can feel exactly like a heart attack. A psychiatrist and/or therapist might be better suited to help him.

Would be nice if someone did said something about that lol. I'm not kidding when what I said happened is just exactly that. They didn't said anything more than having elevated liver enzymes, did they meant all of it, a particular one? We just only got his vital checked, drew some blood, had us sit in the hallways for over 2 hours before someone else came by to draw blood and another 2 hour before they came to discharge us. No copy of the lab results or any other kind of tests being done, nobody came to talk to us except to say that the labs look fine, you can go home.

Edit: they didn't do any x-ray, mri, or even a ekg. All they did was check his blood pressure (138/89 which is definitely high since his normal pressure is 105/78), pricked his finger to check his oxygen, drew some blood and that's all they did.

NeonPunk has issued a correction as of 14:49 on Jan 30, 2024

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Doing two blood tests a couple hours apart to monitor changes in troponin sounds pretty normal to me. Of course it'd be good if someone said what they actually did and ruled out... (and assuming that's what they actually did)

Not doing even a quick one minute EKG on someone with cardiac symptoms seems weird.

Rescue Toaster has issued a correction as of 15:33 on Jan 30, 2024

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Insanite posted:

i just can't understand where the elite think this is headed. whole generations of kids getting covid 2-4x per year, every year. where's your labor? where are your sycophants? who will maintain your armed robot dogs?

Capital is incapable of planning further than 1 quarter in advance. Anything done to stop covid would lower next quarter's profits so it cannot be done.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
yeah and the sense that nothing can ever change and all actions are futile, ie “there’s nothing we can do to prevent catching it” or even “covid never can be/could have been eradicated” is also deeply empowering to our world order.

tuyop has issued a correction as of 17:45 on Jan 30, 2024

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

/r/pics today:

“Nils Bohlin shows off his invention that has saved a million people from death, the 3-point seatbelt”

lmao rookie numbers

A seatbelt saved my mom's life in 1964. She was the only person she knew who wore one, and today is one of the few wearing a mask.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Fansy posted:

A seatbelt saved my mom's life in 1964. She was the only person she knew who wore one, and today is one of the few wearing a mask.

your poor mother suffers from six decades of flying-through-windshield debt, she must be miserable :(

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Aw poo poo, here we go again.

https://twitter.com/LongDesertTrain/status/1752320762537525489

Am I reading this right, over 150 mutations?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Maybe they are lame mutations?

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

I think so, it's just a single sample from 2 months ago. If it was a winner, it would've been everywhere by now.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

I wouldn’t fuss over any found strain until it’s demonstrated community spread. A person can be chronically infected and produce a much mutated version of the virus (remember COVID George from Ohio?), but not necessarily one that can compete outside its host. JN.1’s progenitor was able to community spread at a fairly sedate but steady pace before it then picked up some mutations through selection that let it explode.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

NeonPunk posted:

Aw poo poo, here we go again.

https://twitter.com/LongDesertTrain/status/1752320762537525489

Am I reading this right, over 150 mutations?

it must be mutating more milditude as per the laws of virology, hooray!

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
if it was worth worrying about chise would have told us

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Viruses mutate and new strains pop up all the time. It's just what they do. Nothing to worry about.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
We also don't really know with any degree of certainty what specific mutation or combination of mutations will have the strongest real world effect on transmission. We can surmise that certain mutations , e.g. changes in the spike protein, or the way it binds to cells, might have an impact, but until we see it out interacting with real world conditions it's a big ol' Shrug Emoji.

That's why wastewater signals and lab test figures are so useful, it's the only data that comes close to giving you a transmissibility rate in real world conditions. Until you see something like the JN.1 pop, it's all just theory.

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

NeonPunk posted:

I think so, it's just a single sample from 2 months ago. If it was a winner, it would've been everywhere by now.

wheres that tweet from when omicron was first discovered

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

NeonPunk posted:

I dunno didn’t it take 4 months for JN1 to take over everything

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Steve Yun posted:

I dunno didn’t it take 4 months for JN1 to take over everything

correct

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

The variant watchers were detecting international BA.2.86 community transmission back in August, well before the explosion!

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I don't worry about most random "holy poo poo so mutated" variant sightings because it's just a warm fuzzy reminder that this baby has only begun to explore its evolutionary envelope and what wonders must it have to show us

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Would love to see a time lapse variant map. :catdrugs:

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Strep Vote posted:

Would love to see a time lapse variant map. :catdrugs:

Strep Scrote would be a good username

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Are you a landlord?

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

David Sedaris in the New Yorker:

quote:

One of Dawn's lungs collapsed when she was in her late fifties, so she was super cautious about COVID-kept her face covered long after everyone else had returned to normal. We were in Chicago together, at O'Hare, in the spring of 2022, when I told her she needed to take it off.

"But—" she said.

"Let it go," I told her. "Everyone else has."

I felt like a director coercing an actress
to unhook her bra for a sex scene.
"Come on," I said. "You can do this. Start by just ... lowering it to your chin."

She took off her mask, and then of course immediately got COVID—a bad case, too. All my fault, but she's never held it against me.

Only your respirator trust.

DominoKitten has issued a correction as of 06:11 on Jan 31, 2024

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

DominoKitten posted:

boy do I hate that this is a real essay and not a joke

Apr 7, 2003

I wonder how David Sedaris's friend would have turned out if she were Dawn, McDonald's employee and not Dawn, friend of David Sedaris, net worth $8m and liberal media darling

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

DominoKitten posted:

Only your respirator trust.

I'm not gonna try to find the rest of this to inflict it on me but does he ever fully realize he's the bad guy in this or is it just a quirky anecdote for him?

Apr 7, 2003

Shiroc posted:

I'm not gonna try to find the rest of this to inflict it on me but does he ever fully realize he's the bad guy in this or is it just a quirky anecdote for him?

He's the protagonist of thirty years of shitlib media, not sure if he's capable of comprehending the idea.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Shiroc posted:

I went and read it and nope. The article is a bunch of quirky stories about his weird friend Dawn (and one point he forces her to take an autism test and is flabbergasted when the result is that she's not autistic) and the paragraph that DominoKitten posted is the entire story about forcing her to catch covid, and it's not referenced again in the rest of the article.

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.

Shiroc posted:

have you ever read any david sedaris he is fully aware he's the bad guy at every point in his life for over forty years

Apr 7, 2003

helsabot posted:

have you ever read any david sedaris

Why would I

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

time to do a murder so i have something to write about in the atlantic

*touches earpiece*

im sorry im being informed that joke was deprecated when that lady wrote about killing the dog she adopted to entertain her during wfh

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Shiroc posted:

I think he obviously is casting himself as the bad guy in that scene itself—the comparison with a director coercing an actress isn’t a flattering one.

Right before that snippet there’s:

quote:

During the height of the pandemic, a woman spit on Dawn. “We were in the grocery store, and I hadn’t done anything to her,” she told me. “I guess she didn’t like that I had a mask on.”

And right before that he’s describing pushing her into taking a test to see if she’s autistic, because she’s that sort of off kilter.

Apparently Dawn was his girlfriend back in college and even though that ended because he’s gay they have this pretty much ride or die connection and have for decades, he describes them each more or less being on loan to their respective partners.

My most charitable read is that he was describing how he was the one who had to normalize his weirdo platonic love into not masking for her own good; she’d be unable to recognize and correct back to the norm everyone else was exhibiting without that sort of push from him. Sure, she got COVID right after, but that too is the new normal that everyone can now expect and it’s not like she died, fifteen months later they’re doing their long walks like normal.

In any case apparently this piece plays less well in some areas:

https://twitter.com/eigengraulein/status/1752400911891402864

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

here’s a fun graph showing BA.2.86’s timeline:

https://twitter.com/SolidEvidence/status/1751994590037684371?s=20

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

[Heckler]: “What the gently caress.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

DominoKitten posted:

I think he obviously is casting himself as the bad guy in that scene itself—the comparison with a director coercing an actress isn’t a flattering one.

Right before that snippet there’s:

And right before that he’s describing pushing her into taking a test to see if she’s autistic, because she’s that sort of off kilter.

Apparently Dawn was his girlfriend back in college and even though that ended because he’s gay they have this pretty much ride or die connection and have for decades, he describes them each more or less being on loan to their respective partners.

My most charitable read is that he was describing how he was the one who had to normalize his weirdo platonic love into not masking for her own good; she’d be unable to recognize and correct back to the norm everyone else was exhibiting without that sort of push from him. Sure, she got COVID right after, but that too is the new normal that everyone can now expect and it’s not like she died, fifteen months later they’re doing their long walks like normal.

I'm sort of looking at it with the difference between the "haha, I'm so bad" when people do something that hurt someone but brush it off and "I'm loving up and need to turn my life around" realization.