Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

microfolk
Aug 15, 2023

CATGIRL DEATH INDUSTRIAL

ImpAtom posted:

FF:4 Heroes of Light has a job called Party Host whose entire job is that it cheers up the party (gives them the boosted 'Psych Up" status.) It is like a combo of Bard and Gambler.

4 Heroes of Light also has the Seamstress job which fights with a huge needle, and has the ability to patch together an weapon/armor from your inventory to raise your attack/defense or just stitch together another party member to themselves, adding together their stats to form a frankenstain-ish monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Wasteland 3

I did it

I murdered them all :smithfrog:

Re: Steeltown DLC

Fukn quest makes you choose between resetting synths (self-aware sentient robots) so they can continue serving as slaves to the factory, or free them so they may walk among and MAYBE help the humans. But also a third option where you can just kill them.

You are a ranger, and the whole previous game rangers have been fighting the Cochise AI and hunting synths down who killed your buddies and saving the world and sacrificing everything to get rid of synths. Heck, the reason you travel to Colorado is because the synth kerfuffle wrecked your ranger HQ.

Are these the same writers?

Coming off playing Wasteland 2, killing synths makes perfect sense, role play wise.

But this DLC is very clear about wanting you to free them. They’re helpless, and firing at them feels weird. But I still went ahead and did what I thought a Ranger would do, knowing what happens back home. It definitely was not the good ending, you fail the whole DLC mission, and get some token “man you failed lol” consequences.

And this is all after going through the hassle of using the non lethal weapons and never killing any humans.

Which honestly, I think sucks. Very big change, lore-wise. It’s like if Doomguy found a conclave of hellspawn that were all “hey free us and let’s work together!”. A couple audio logs saying “we want to be friends” is not enough to contradict the whole previous game. Heck, even in this new game, your first encounter with a synth is one masquerading as a child, who freely admits he will murder more humans. I rekt that mofo too

I dunno why this bothers me so much but there you go. I’m fine with failing the DLC, but I think the writing was not satisfying. Did I misunderstand something or are the writers loving up.

On the positive side, it made me feel things, which is probably good for an RPG. Just not exactly good feelings

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jan 31, 2024

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

That's another one! What in the world does that do?

it's a magic class that summons fairies for attacks. it's the exact same as sujimancer from infinite wealth.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Wasteland 3

I did it

I murdered them all :smithfrog:

Re: Steeltown DLC

Fukn quest makes you choose between resetting synths (self-aware sentient robots) so they can continue serving as slaves to the factory, or free them so they may walk among and MAYBE help the humans. But also a third option where you can just kill them.

You are a ranger, and the whole previous game rangers have been fighting the Cochise AI and hunting synths down who killed your buddies and saving the world and sacrificing everything to get rid of synths. Heck, the reason you travel to Colorado is because the synth kerfuffle wrecked your ranger HQ.

Are these the same writers?

Coming off playing Wasteland 2, killing synths makes perfect sense, role play wise.

But this DLC is very clear about wanting you to free them. They’re helpless, and firing at them feels weird. But I still went ahead and did what I thought a Ranger would do, knowing what happens back home. It definitely was not the good ending, you fail the whole DLC mission, and get some token “man you failed lol” consequences.

And this is all after going through the hassle of using the non lethal weapons and never killing any humans.

Which honestly, I think sucks. Very big change, lore-wise. It’s like if Doomguy found a conclave of hellspawn that were all “hey free us and let’s work together!”. A couple audio logs saying “we want to be friends” is not enough to contradict the whole previous game. Heck, even in this new game, your first encounter with a synth is one masquerading as a child, who freely admits he will murder more humans. I rekt that mofo too

I dunno why this bothers me so much but there you go. I’m fine with failing the DLC, but I think the writing was not satisfying. Did I misunderstand something or are the writers loving up.

On the positive side, it made me feel things, which is probably good for an RPG. Just not exactly good feelings

It sounds like you murdered a load of slaves

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

No Dignity posted:

It sounds like you murdered a load of slaves

:negative:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

https://www.rpgsite.net/news/15413-tokyo-rpg-factory-to-be-merged-into-square-enix

Tokyo RPG Factory getting dissolved back into Square Enix. They developed Lost Sphear, I am Setsuna, and Oninaki. Three games very hard to talk about, as reception to them was incredibly bland.

I do hope Square-Enix leave Asano alone. Live a Live and Octopath II were on fire.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tokyo rpg factory mentioned they were working on a fourth game back in like 2021 but i guess nothing ever came of it.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I really liked I am Setsuna. Shame their games got progressively worse from there

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Endorph posted:

tokyo rpg factory mentioned they were working on a fourth game back in like 2021 but i guess nothing ever came of it.

Now that they are officially Square Enix again, it'll be rebranded and turned into Final Fantasy 17.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Give me a pixel remaster asset inspired FFXVII

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Communist stands out here, I can't imagine how that one works and now I'm intrigued.
As noted, Dredmor doesn't really do "jobs" per se, your character starts with 7 skill trees out of a maximum unmodded total of 51 (some were in DLC, including Communist) in three different main categories (Warrior, Rogue, and Wizard - your main stats go up a set amount for each skill level in a particular category) and leveling said skills (including picking the initial skill levels) shapes the build, and you can try to find the best synergies and/or just see how well your grab bag of abilities can manage the run. There's also a lot of substats affected by the main stats, equipment, skills, and items.

A quick sum-up of Communist: a Warrior line slightly aligned towards cold damage (called Hyperborean here) resistance and general survivability, plus some physical buffing - but slightly risky, since the debuffs are probably going to hit you at some point (an otherwise resourceless regen booster is still a reasonably valuable tool in Dredmor). Craftable armour is sturdy, if decidedly Warrior-focused, and having a nuclear arsenal is certainly one way to clear a dungeon.

Slightly more detailed list to give a better idea, but not a complete breakdown:

Communist posted:

1 - Guerrilla Attack: a 15 turn cooldown melee attack that confuses, pacifies, and paralyzes the target for 1 turn and, whether successful or not, grants you Guerilla in the Mist (-3 sight radius, +10 Sneakiness) for 3 turns.
On Level: permanent +5 Sneakiness (how easy it is to sneak past enemies and not trigger traps). Gives you a Hammer, a Sickle, 3 Vodka, and 4 Mosolov Cocktails.
2 - Socialized Healthcare: a 92 turn cooldown buff that grants The Public Option (heals 1 Life Point a turn) for 17 turns, plus a flat 33% chance of a Communist Debuff Effect.
On Level: permanent +5 Life Points and +1 Health Regeneration Bonus.
3 - General Winter: passive 20% chance when hit of triggering General Winter Snowstorm (a 3x3 square Hyperborean damage area attack centered on you for 4 rounds) and Winter Offensive (buff, +2 Hyberborean resistance for 20 rounds - if you drink Vodka while this is active, you also get the Warming Vodka buff, +2 Hyperborean resistance and +3 Burliness (main stat that affects Life Points, Melee Power, and Block Chance) for 80 rounds).
On Level: permanent +1 Hyperborean resistance. Gives you a Communist Ushanka.
4 - Dialectical Materialism: a 36 turn cooldown ability that removes one random curse and replaces it with a Communist Random Effect.
5 - Vanguard Party: a 30 turn cooldown buff that grants +3 Burliness, +3 Caddishness (main stat that affects Critical Chance, Counter Chance, and Life Points), +3 Stubbornness (main stat that affects Magical Resistance and Block Chance), +1 Health Regeneration Bonus, and +2 Melee Power. Also gives a flat 2% chance on hit and a 3% chance on being hit of gaining a Communist Debuff Effect. Lasts until cancelled.
On Level: gain the Communist Power Ushanka recipe.
6 - Iron Curtain: permanent +5 Stubbornness, +5 Armour Absorption (each point reduces a point of Mundane damage (Blasting, Slashing, and Crushing) from incoming attacks), and +2 Hyperborean resistance. Gain the Communist Power Armour recipe.
7 - They've Got The Bomb!: permanent +3 Transmutative damage resistance. Gain The Bomb, and The Bomb recipe. (The Bomb is a throwing weapon that causes They Blew It Up on hit (hitting the floor counts), which triggers 5 further simultaneous attack effects: Thermite Center, Generic Fireball, Big Dig, Burning Blinding Flash, and Giant Radiation Cloud.)

The Communist Debuff Effect list and Communist Random Effect list are mostly the same, except the former doesn't have the positive effects (6 debuffs, 2 buffs).
The Communist Power Ushanka and Communist Power Armour recipes both require a Sickle to craft, and you only have the one guaranteed to start with, so you have to find another if you want both.

Hogama fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 31, 2024

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
7th dragon 2020 is also kinda funny since it's one of the early scriptwriting gigs for a pre-ff14 natsuko ishikawa

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Did the 7th Dragon 2020 games ever get a fan translation? Hearing about them reminded me that a buddy enjoyed the 3ds one (and tolerated the DS game).

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Yes.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

The Colonel posted:

drat the cave noire manual is sick. neat illustrations of the different enemies and the two player characters

Cool! And good timing on this, as I'm currently trying out the first 5 JP-made console roguelikes, as a little project. Cave Noire is #3, and up next, as soon as I can get a win in Fatal Labyrinth.

Did you like the game?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's a good game, leans less on the rpg side and more on the navigational puzzle side since you don't get a lot of good rewards for killing monsters and there's no xp system so you're more forced to think about them as obstacles

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014

RareAcumen posted:

I'm mostly just asking for unique stuff I haven't seen a ton like your classic D&D crews Warrior/Fighter, Theif, Monk, White Mage, etc and/or FF5 stuff. By this point Time Mage and Engineer and Chemist are all as par for the course as Red Mages, Summoners and Paladins to me.

Final Fantasy Tactics has Calculator/Mathematician, which is wildly unlike anything I've seen in any other game.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

well duckstation ate my chrono cross save so i will not be playing that after all. but I got 3DS emulation working on the Retroid Flip so I've thrown DQ7, 7th Dragon III: Code VFD, Soul Hackers, Etrian Untold, Etrian Nexus, and Persona Q2 on there for next month (i'm not literally playing all of these next month but i can choose from them)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
how did it eat it

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Colonel posted:

how did it eat it
it seemed to overwrite the save on a new boot of the game, idk why. i can blame myself on this one though because I was overclocking my first run of the game to boost the framerate-- which works and is great, but definitely could have caused save corruption or something like that

going forward i'm going to save a savestate every time i save my game just in case one fails

at the very least i didn't get too far this time (viper manor) so it won't deflate me from wanting to tackle it again in the future. the only time i've gotten deep into Chrono Cross was when i was a kid, I got to the Miguel fight and I just couldn't get past them. kid me probably didn't fully understand the growth system and missed out on some stat upgrades from regular fights. but i've heard the Miguel fight is kind of a tough one anyway

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
duckstation has a built-in memory card manager, it might be possible to take a look in there and see if something weird happened with the file

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Colonel posted:

duckstation has a built-in memory card manager, it might be possible to take a look in there and see if something weird happened with the file
yea it just seems to be gone. granted i'm using the android version so if a file was saved somewhere on the device i wouldn't know where to find it, but it doesn't show up in the memory card editor

i will chalk it up to a fluke because Soul Reaver did leave a save (and I have a working savestate for it as well)

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Linda Cubed Again translation is finally out
https://twitter.com/Cargodin/status/1752811172682928212

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Endorph posted:

7th dragon also has that one yugioh inspired class doesnt it. i should play those games

I will say that DS and VFD (Games 1 and 4) are probably the more iffy titles in the series. DS has quite a bit of charm and interesting things in it marred by some very questionable design decisions. If you can get past that though it's quite the trip. Quite unrefined, but pretty interesting.

VFD's budget basically broke down into non-existence and it uh. Shows. Even if you aren't quite familiar with the rest of the series. Also the power creep in that one gets absurd to such a ridiculous point that it's harder to avoid trivializing the game than not doing so, but if you want a big power fantasy in an RPG, well the game serves that specific purpose pretty well.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

yea it just seems to be gone. granted i'm using the android version so if a file was saved somewhere on the device i wouldn't know where to find it, but it doesn't show up in the memory card editor

i will chalk it up to a fluke because Soul Reaver did leave a save (and I have a working savestate for it as well)

did this happen after a disc swap? i think some emulators create a separate memory card for each disc unless you load through a playlist or something

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

ive had problems with savegames getting fucky in emulators after using save staes, much safer to just save using save states

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
that is not a good idea

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
save states on emulators are frequently rendered incompatible between updates to the emulator, and since emulation is constantly improving you want to be updating whenever possible. not to mention they just generally have their own stability problems if you keep relying on them for too long in a lot of emulators. they're fine as a safety save but you need to make and load from actual game saves at least sometimes on anything later than like, a snes game

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
Also, you want to make sure that you have a separate save in a "safe" place so you don't leave your only save in an unwinnable situation. An in-game save is perfect for this.

Remember all the people who tried to play FFT with a single save slot and saved right before Velius. Or the people who locked themselves in a room with the final boss as Lute in SaGa Frontier. With save states, you can do this in any game!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Some emulators include the entire state of the sram in the save state, so using both can result in game saves seeming to disappear and reappear at random if you don't know about that. I think this is mostly for games with on-cartridge saves, rather than ones with separate memory cards, though.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

did this happen after a disc swap? i think some emulators create a separate memory card for each disc unless you load through a playlist or something

If this is the case it should be recoverable as well, just create a .m3u file consisting of the cue sheets and rename the save file to match it.

It looks like you might need root access to get at Duckstation saves on Android so that'll be a pain.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
linda cubed has a phantasy star 4 vibe, i'm diggin

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Do you have a link to it?

Yes, I know it says 'link in thread'. I don't have a Twitter account. I can't read threads; they don't load.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I'm too lazy to update my emulators tbh

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Prism posted:

Do you have a link to it?

Yes, I know it says 'link in thread'. I don't have a Twitter account. I can't read threads; they don't load.

https://github.com/Eight-Mansions/linda-cubed-again

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Meowywitch posted:

I'm too lazy to update my emulators tbh

that's why they have built-in auto updaters now

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

retroarch lets you undo save states and roll back to the previous one you overwrote. however retroarch's developers are shitheads

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Colonel posted:

that's why they have built-in auto updaters now

the pcsx2 one is very nice in that it warns you if a particular update will nuke your states and that you should go and make proper saves before proceeding

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Also some games like Phantasy Star Portable 2 won’t let you save anymore if you load a save state from before the current hard save.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Abandoning Retroarch improved my quality of life immensely