Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Solus posted:

Whats the vibe you get when you're facing a mirror matchup

I'm 'maining" King at the moment and when I meet another King it's 100% hype but i feel like two Kazuya mains would be filled with anger
I have mostly been playing Law and as always, his mirrors are a contest to see who can do the most abstract unhinged poo poo because the regular unhinged poo poo (raw flips, slides, DSS stupidity, etc.) you pull on other players is already known to other Laws so you have to go either big brain stupid or become an ultraconservative who only starts damage from pressing standing 1. No inbetweens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
This is my first Tekken. I'm down in the baby tiers playing as Alisa just trying to remember what her buttons are, while some of the people I'm getting matched up against know some real long combos. Still having a good time though

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

With the Ghost system being in a pretty decent place now I feel like Tekken should follow the lead of other online games and start seeding bots into the player pool for newbies to help them build confidence and get comfy with how online works

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
ok this is complete bullshit.

I want to play this game with a six button controller (8bitdo neo geo pad) but the game is forcing me to have a seventh button for the Right Trigger special moves, and wont allow me to map it to a double-button press. and all the other buttons are mandatory lol.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Cat Machine posted:

With the Ghost system being in a pretty decent place now I feel like Tekken should follow the lead of other online games and start seeding bots into the player pool for newbies to help them build confidence and get comfy with how online works

I'd like to see the Ghost system expanded too. It has a solid base, but I want replays of people fighting my ghosts, and all sorts of ghost stats. And most importantly of all, a way to change their costumes.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Iserlohn posted:

There's a point in Arcade Quest where they teach you how to do a launcher into tornado combo, and I thought to myself oh that's the sort of combo I should be doing in all my games. I could count the number of times I executed it on one hand.

Yes, and in fact once you understand the structure, it is very easy to put your own butterfinger friendly combos together in practice mode. The structure is [launcher], [filler for damage], [tornado], [finisher]. There are variations, extensions, and tricks possible but those don't matter until you are comfy with the basics. The easiest way to start is to look through your movelist and find a string of 3 or so hits that ends in a tornado (the red spiraly symbol), see if it connects easily to your launcher, then do a running move as a finisher.
Example with Reina: df+2 [launcher], df+4,2,3 [filler with tornado], fff+3 [finisher].

Once you have the structure down you can experiment with additions and variations for damage/utility.
Example based on the above: df+2 [launcher], df+4,2, df+1 [filler], df+4,2,3 [tornado], dash f,n,d,df+1,4 [finisher]

The above works on most of her launchers, the obvious exception here being her (E)WGD. Usually you just need to vary the initial filler to connect.
Example: f,n,d,df+2 [launcher], b+1,1,3 [filler], df+4,2,3 [tornado], dash f,n,d,df+1,4 [finisher]
As you can see, using the exact same moves except for the filler part to account for the slightly higher launch and connecting smoothly.

And also:

unattended spaghetti posted:

I am incredibly bad at this game.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I should try xiayou, she seems fun

I should also learn how to actually use the heat stuff. I feel like I'm getting 50-65 damage on a launch but I can't help thinking that should be higher if I really understood the systems

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I should also learn how to actually use the heat stuff. I feel like I'm getting 50-65 damage on a launch but I can't help thinking that should be higher if I really understood the systems

50-65 is fine before actually going deep with optimization. If you want to use heat during a combo you can replace your finisher with a heat burst, this will rebound the opponent to give you another hit. Apply a heat engager move and hold forward, this gives you a heat dash with another followup (somewhat depending on the engager). This way you can tack on a bit more damage at the cost of your heat, so a little bit use with care in the balance of "will it kill/do I prefer to keep the heat for pressure later".

Autsj fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jan 31, 2024

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Al-Saqr posted:

ok this is complete bullshit.

I want to play this game with a six button controller (8bitdo neo geo pad) but the game is forcing me to have a seventh button for the Right Trigger special moves, and wont allow me to map it to a double-button press. and all the other buttons are mandatory lol.

Unbind the left bumper from baby input mode and use it for super

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/TiffanyMayCry/status/1752638895940907211

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Gutted that I can't find the slowmo of the Akuma whiffing a jumping tatsu, jumping back over them off screen, shot coming in with a raging demon before the other character recovered from their move.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I appreciate that Reina's goal in the story is to throw herself in front of as many death attacks as she can in a desperate attempt to force the devil gene activation like a Saiyan trying to force Super Saiyan.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Autsj posted:

50-65 is fine before actually going deep with optimization. If you want to use heat during a combo you can replace your finisher with a heat burst, this will rebound the opponent to give you another hit. Apply a heat engager move and hold forward, this gives you a heat dash with another followup (somewhat depending on the engager). This way you can tack on a bit more damage at the cost of your heat, so a little bit use with care in the balance of "will it kill/do I prefer to keep the heat for pressure later".

:hmmyes: good to know

Tekken scaling has always been a mystery to me. I've tested juggles that add a bunch of extra filler moves but a lot of them have several more hits with way less damage. I guess I should just be looking for whatever string does the most damage immediately while leaving them high enough for the tornado

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I mained Zafina in 7 but the changes in 8 were a lot to deal with and I thought it would be easier to just stat with a different character until the Tekken scientists sort out how to play this New Zafina lol

I’m just kinda winging it, but I tapped out on T7 before any of the dlc characters even came out so I have no preconceived notions to fight against. I definitely need to practice the different Azazel moves to give heat mode some extra spice, though.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

jun is really fun to play but i'm real jealous of all these launching lows all over the place.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

One thing I've found surprisingly useful for learning a new character is just throwing on Special Style and seeing what the game thinks that character's preferred juggle, poke, low and crush are. It's a good way to practice a character's basic plan without committing their inputs to memory. Would be cool if someone could write up a Special Style -> Regular Input mapping at some point.

Also it's just incredibly fun to turn it on while playing DJ and do five frame-perfect electrics by just tapping 2 on and off lol 😈

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Cat Machine posted:

One thing I've found surprisingly useful for learning a new character is just throwing on Special Style and seeing what the game thinks that character's preferred juggle, poke, low and crush are. It's a good way to practice a character's basic plan without committing their inputs to memory. Would be cool if someone could write up a Special Style -> Regular Input mapping at some point.

Also it's just incredibly fun to turn it on while playing DJ and do five frame-perfect electrics by just tapping 2 on and off lol 😈

Can you tell if the simple mode is on for your opponent?

Also, PhiDX is crushing it with tutorials:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDUUbuzuelA

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Foul Fowl posted:

jun is really fun to play but i'm real jealous of all these launching lows all over the place.

Powdered Toast Jun?

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Weird Pumpkin posted:

:hmmyes: good to know

Tekken scaling has always been a mystery to me. I've tested juggles that add a bunch of extra filler moves but a lot of them have several more hits with way less damage. I guess I should just be looking for whatever string does the most damage immediately while leaving them high enough for the tornado

Tekken scaling just sets in very aggressively during the first few hits before bottoming out at 30% or so. You can check this in the lab by doing a launcher and hitting jab a few times on the juggled opponent, check the scaling on the detailed display. This means that you want your chunky hits as early as you can, adding smaller hits later in the combo is fine but starting with smaller hits will tank your overall damage.* I've heard doing a heat dash resets the scaling to 50% or something but I haven't actually checked that out.

*Edit: This is often used as a balancing measure too: bigger juggle starters often launch higher, giving you more leeway starting your combos with bigger hits; while some ch launchers (especially the lows) might give you a very small launch, requiring small sub 10 damage moves to pickup with, pushing up the the scaling and reducing the damage potential for the rest of the combo

Autsj fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 31, 2024

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Can you tell if the simple mode is on for your opponent?

Yes, it will show the simple shortcut menu on their side if they have it on.

Jeff Gerstman was talking about playing and seeing the window rapidly come in and out as his opponent was mashing every button lol

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Autsj posted:

Tekken scaling just sets in very aggressively during the first few hits before bottoming out at 30% or so. You can check this in the lab by doing a launcher and hitting jab a few times on the juggled opponent, check the scaling on the detailed display. This means that you want your chunky hits as early as you can, adding smaller hits later in the combo is fine but starting with smaller hits will tank your overall damage.* I've heard doing a heat dash resets the scaling to 50% or something but I haven't actually checked that out.

*Edit: This is often used as a balancing measure too: bigger juggle starters often launch higher, giving you more leeway starting your combos with bigger hits; while some ch launchers (especially the lows) might give you a very small launch, requiring small sub 10 damage moves to pickup with, pushing up the the scaling and reducing the damage potential for the rest of the combo

Ah ok, that makes sense. I guess I'll look for a few higher damage pickups post launcher. I've seen Azucena's on twitter juggling with what looks like a 2,4 string into the tornado afterwards, have to do some playing around in training mode to see I guess! Or maybe see if someone's posted a doc in a discord

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yes, it will show the simple shortcut menu on their side if they have it on.

Jeff Gerstman was talking about playing and seeing the window rapidly come in and out as his opponent was mashing every button lol

Oh, this explains why my first opponent in ranked could do electrics with no issue but had zero gameplan at all lmao

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

I wish Reina didn't have any of the devil gene stuff. She seemed a lot cooler when she appeared to just be a naturally OP human who could clown on these devil freaks like Heihachi could.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Big Bizness posted:

I wish Reina didn't have any of the devil gene stuff. She seemed a lot cooler when she appeared to just be a naturally OP human who could clown on these devil freaks like Heihachi could.
Kinda bummed in general that the devil plot came back within minutes of Jin erasing the devil gene

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

ColdPie posted:

Powdered Toast Jun?

yes

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Cat Machine posted:

Kinda bummed in general that the devil plot came back within minutes of Jin erasing the devil gene

Lmao yeah, that too. Enough already!!

Orv
May 4, 2011
There’s too many devils in this digital saga!

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Leroy where have you been my whole life?

Makes me wish I had picked up Tekken 7 back when he was first introduced and he was op af.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Tekken teaches us that you can have all the money and power in the world, but it is ultimately for nothing it if you can't grow wings and shoot lasers out of your eyes

Orv
May 4, 2011
If there are bear specific combos where are the twink specific combos

I guess Noctis has to come back after all

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

Orv posted:

If there are bear specific combos where are the twink specific combos

I guess Noctis has to come back after all

Have you not seen Leo?

Orv
May 4, 2011

E4C85D38 posted:

Have you not seen Leo?

I’ve honestly never been clear on what’s official with Leo and what’s stupid internet jokes so I didn’t want to be unintentionally awful.

Just intentionally dad joke awful. :v:

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Seltzer posted:

Been maining Azu but have been running through all the characters in Practice to see what they can do in heat and...... Xiaoyu seems really fun this edition. I used her a decent bit in T7 and the moves and setups came back to me pretty quick. She's got some really dope heat options so I think I might have to try her out for a few days. I'm having success with Azu but I feel like her stances are less coherent than others who are tricksters. Eddy flows very well for me and Xiaoyu also has more options and logic in her flow then Azu I think. Oh yeah, Xiaoyu had some kinda tricky combos and they made them easier (along with a lot of combos across the board which I dont like but alas) so she'll be pretty quick to pick up again I think.

Weird Pumpkin posted:

xiaoyu is hella buffed in this game, her real pain point in 7 was not having good approach options and ff4/f2,1,2 are insane buttons they gave her and she can legitimately bully her way in with them now lol. you can play her as standard or as gimmicky as you want but that + hypnotist being fleshed out into a legitimate pressure stance gives her way better options in a ton of situations she used to struggle in.

as for combos she has a pretty good universal pickup option in (*launcher* df2 f3,1 RDS 2 RDS 1,4 wr3 AOP 1+2), which I think does 67ish? but her combo game is way more indepth in this game and still being labbed out, here's a video im studying right now that has pretty practical combos that go into the 70s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp9-bHgGGgs

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think people took this tweet too seriously

https://twitter.com/beanytuesday/status/1302380197560414211

Edit: oh right tweets

"This every Guilty Gear character vs every Tekken character"

I mean half the characters in this game are “Paul. He punches. 15 related guys. They punch but lightning. Nina and Anna. They punch but they’re sexy”

It’s why when you see a bear or the chainsaws or helicopter blades it’s still like wait. What is this

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Orv posted:

I’ve honestly never been clear on what’s official with Leo and what’s stupid internet jokes so I didn’t want to be unintentionally awful.

Just intentionally dad joke awful. :v:

Itsa mess. Long story short is that the team wanted to create a gender ambiguous character and retooled an early draft of a character named Eleanor who practiced Bajiquan. Turning her into Leo who they used gender neutral pronouns for in the Japanese version. Localizations predictably made a mess of this and people asked Harada who told the above story. The early draft part was then left out when the story was retold and western nerds decided that Leo was actually called Eleanor and was thus female. Harada got annoyed in a tweet I can't find anymore so it might be deleted. Things have not really progressed since.

Orv
May 4, 2011
:sigh: Well that’s not great, appreciate the explanation though.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Leo is Leo. That's all that's important.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

But is leo a leo? Whats their dob?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Google says april first! Ha leo is an ares and i am an april fool

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mr E posted:

Leo is Leo. That's all that's important.

:hmmyes:

I kept meaning to poke at them in T7, their stances are really cool and they just seem like an overall cool moveset character, I should finally rectify that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Trillhouse posted:

Lenne Hardt announcer mod (should have been default!)

link is kinda-nsfw. at least I wouldn't want it to show up on my work monitor. why are you looking at tekken mods at work anyways?

https://tekkenmods.com/mod/3130/tekken-8-trailer-announcer-mod-lenne-hardt

Thanks so much for posting this.