Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Super Waffle posted:

Oh snap, didn't realize I had to manually update. And now I see there's a bunch of quality of life features I didn't know had been added!

Oh, yeah, the app isn't really terrible now it seems. I liked this battle bunker thing a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
One glaring omission is the lack of a Boarding Action option under battle size; they should add that and have it handle all the unit restrictions for that game type.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Post-dataslate, what is the best GW model for painting blue such that it looks vaguely like Sonic?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Athas posted:

Post-dataslate, what is the best GW model for painting blue such that it looks vaguely like Sonic?

Talassar Blue for most of it, maybe Darkoath Flesh or Skeleton Horde for the belly-spot and face. Blood Angels Red for the shoes, Apothecary White for the gloves and socks.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Athas posted:

Blue horros, you could literally paint them as Sonic and wouldn't be out of character.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Athas posted:

I feel that for most cartoon characters the answer to this question is converting an ork version.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
:tipshat:

I am also considering a Kroot, on account of them having spines.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

Athas posted:

A space marine reiver, particularly for their little shoes that have the buckle on them.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

The admech kastellans have his mono-eye

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Lmao @ guard being at the very bottom and getting a points increase. At least we got a much needed but still marginal improvement to orders. Yeah, that will fix things...

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad

Virtual Russian posted:

Lmao @ guard being at the very bottom and getting a points increase. At least we got a much needed but still marginal improvement to orders. Yeah, that will fix things...

it's not our place to question why, just to die

edit:

I'm going to run this for my game day on Saturday, I'm playing against Nids and then Tau.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ FACTION KEYWORD: Imperium - Astra Militarum
+ DETACHMENT: Combined Regiment
+ TOTAL ARMY POINTS: 2000pts
+
+ WARLORD: Char7: Lord Solar Leontus
+ ENHANCEMENT: Death Mask of Ollanius (on Char1: Militarum Tempestus Command Squad - Tempestor Prime)
+ NUMBER OF UNITS: 18
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

CHARACTER

Char1: 5x Militarum Tempestus Command Squad (90pts)
• 1x Tempestor Prime
• 1 with Tempestus Dagger, Bolt Pistol, Death Mask of Ollanius
• 4x Tempestus Scion
• 1 with Master Vox, Close Combat Weapon
• 1 with Close Combat Weapon, Medi-pack, Hot-shot Laspistol
• 1 with Regimental Standard, Hot-shot Lasgun, Close Combat Weapon
• 1 with Close Combat Weapon, Plasma Gun

Char2: 4x Platoon Command Squad (60pts)
• 1x Platoon Commander
• 1 with Close Combat Weapon, Power Fist, Plasma Pistol
• 2x Veteran Guardsman
• 1 with Master Vox, Close Combat Weapon, Laspistol, Lasgun
• 1 with Close Combat Weapon, Laspistol, Lasgun, Medi-pack
• 1x Veteran Heavy Weapons Team
• 1 with Laspistol, Close Combat Weapon, Mortar

Char3: 5x Platoon Command Squad (60pts)
• 1x Platoon Commander
• 1 with Close Combat Weapon, Power Weapon, Bolt Pistol
• 4x Veteran Guardsman
• 1 with Close Combat Weapon, Laspistol, Meltagun
• 1 with Master Vox, Close Combat Weapon, Laspistol, Lasgun
• 1 with Close Combat Weapon, Laspistol, Lasgun, Medi-pack
• 1 with Close Combat Weapon, Laspistol, Regimental Standard, Lasgun

Char4: Primaris Psyker (60pts)
• 1x Force Weapon
• 1x Laspistol
• 1x Psychic Maelstrom

Char5: Regimental Enginseer (45pts)
• 1x Archeotech Pistol
• 1x Enginseer Axe
• 1x Servo-arm

Char6: Tank Commander (205pts)
• 1x Armoured Tracks
• 1x Executioner Plasma Cannon
• 1x Lascannon
• 1x Two Militarum Plasma Cannons
• 2 with Militarum Plasma Cannon

Char7: Lord Solar Leontus (125pts)
• 1x Conquest
• 1x Konstrain's Hooves
• 1x Sol's Righteous Gaze
• 1x Warlord

Char8: Ursula Creed (55pts)
• 1x Duty and Vengeance
• 1x Power Weapon

BATTLELINE

20x Death Korps of Krieg (130pts)
• 18x Death Korps Trooper
• 11 with Lasgun, Close Combat Weapon
• 1 with Lasgun, Close Combat Weapon, Death Korps of Krieg Medi-pack
• 1 with Close Combat Weapon, Flamer
• 1 with Close Combat Weapon, Grenade Launcher
• 1 with Close Combat Weapon, Meltagun
• 1 with Close Combat Weapon, Sniper Rifle
• 1 with Lasgun, Close Combat Weapon, Plasma Gun
• 1 with Lasgun, Close Combat Weapon, Vox-caster
• 2x Death Korps Watchmaster
• 2 with Chainsword, Boltgun

9x Infantry Squad (60pts)
• 7x Guardsman
• 5 with Lasgun, Close Combat Weapon
• 1 with Vox-caster, Lasgun, Close Combat Weapon
• 1x Heavy Weapons Team
• 1 with Laspistol, Close Combat Weapon, Mortar
• 1x Sergeant
• 1 with Boltgun, Close Combat Weapon

OTHER DATASHEETS

6x Bullgryn Squad (160pts)
• 1x Bullgryn Bone 'ead
• 1 with Bullgryn Maul, Brute Shield
• 5x Bullgryn
• 5 with Bullgryn Maul, Brute Shield

5x Tempestus Scions (55pts)
• 1x Tempestor
• 1 with Plasma Pistol, Chainsword
• 4x Tempestus Scion
• 2 with Hot-shot Lasgun, Close Combat Weapon
• 1 with Close Combat Weapon, Hot-shot Volley Gun

Basilisk (135pts)
• 1x Armoured Tracks
• 1x Earthshaker Cannon
• 1x Heavy Bolter
• 1x Hunter-killer Missile

Basilisk (135pts)
• 1x Armoured Tracks
• 1x Earthshaker Cannon
• 1x Heavy Bolter

Hellhound (125pts)
• 1x Armoured Tracks
• 1x Heavy Bolter
• 1x Inferno Cannon

Leman Russ Exterminator (180pts)
• 1x Exterminator Autocannon
• 1x Armoured Tracks
• 1x Lascannon
• 1x Heavy Stubber
• 1x 2 Multi-meltas
• 2 with Multi-melta

Rogal Dorn Battle Tank (260pts)
• 1x 2 Meltaguns
• 2 with Meltagun
• 1x 2 Multi-meltas
• 2 with Multi-melta
• 1x Armoured tracks
• 1x Pulveriser Cannon
• 1x Heavy Stubber
• 1x Oppressor Cannon and Co-axial Autocannon
• 1 with Co-axial Autocannon
• 1 with Oppressor Cannon

Scout Sentinels (60pts)
• 1x Scout Sentinel
• 1 with Close Combat Weapon, Hunter-killer Missile, Lascannon

----------------

I'm thinking - Psyker and Platoon Squad goes with the Kriegers to push to mid board and absorb punishment from shooting, Bullygryn stay nearby for counter charge and make the centre of the board a mess. Rogal Dorn and Hellhound to punish anything that gets too close.

Leman Russ Exterminator and "Fields of Fire" strat go off each turn on a unit that I want to delete, if I can get my scout sentinel to spot them as well I'll be hitting on 2s, rr1s, with +2 AP to all my weapons. At that rate even heavy bolters and las guns should be able to do some work.

Scions and Scion command squad to either come down together to try to push on a backfield objective or to come down separately to score secondaries.

Basilisks to slow infantry blobs or punish back objective holders

Tangy Zizzle fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 31, 2024

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

There are some hidden details in the rules commentary.

Like how the officer ability in the Cadian Platoon Command isn't very useless like how apparently tournaments have been rulling until now.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Tangy Zizzle posted:

I'm going to run this for my game day on Saturday, I'm playing against Nids and then Tau.

That personally feels like an insane amount of characters for something not named Thousand Sons. 700 points into characters is a lot.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Nah it's fine, tank commanders are expensive, because it's a tank.

Edit: However you could probably try and free up some points from the characters and take Kurov's Aquila on one of them. I assume there's probably some stratagem that the opponents will be burning CP on regularly.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 31, 2024

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad

Cyouni posted:

That personally feels like an insane amount of characters for something not named Thousand Sons. 700 points into characters is a lot.

Platoon command squads pair well with anything, they're the miller high life of the guard.

Pairing them with the Kriegers and giving them a med pack makes the whole squad potentially a 3+ armour save in cover, a 4+ invuln, and a 5++. You can also res d3 per turn with the krieg ability!
Pairing them with an infantry squad with a mortar, and Lord Solar, means his orders can now go out 24" instead of 6". Having creed stand next to them means she can play the strat "fields of fire" on that squad for free, so I can use those 2D6 mortar rounds to set that up
The scion command squad can now issue orders when they come out of deepstrike so I want to play around with that a little - it means giving my squad BS 2+ when they land, or give the kriegers "move move move" in the command phase, getting their extra movement in, and then deepstriking the scion command squad nearby and ordering them to 'take aim' or 'fix bayonets' for some extra nasty stuff.
Tank Commander to give the Dorn a better chance to do work in Shooting

Solar is good as hell for repositioning units at the start of the game and for the CP gen every turn

I guess I'll see how it goes, Guard really requires orders and free strats to really get the synergy of their shooting, I'll report back!

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Tangy Zizzle posted:

Platoon command squads pair well with anything, they're the miller high life of the guard.

Pairing them with the Kriegers and giving them a med pack makes the whole squad potentially a 3+ armour save in cover, a 4+ invuln, and a 5++. You can also res d3 per turn with the krieg ability!
Pairing them with an infantry squad with a mortar, and Lord Solar, means his orders can now go out 24" instead of 6". Having creed stand next to them means she can play the strat "fields of fire" on that squad for free, so I can use those 2D6 mortar rounds to set that up
The scion command squad can now issue orders when they come out of deepstrike so I want to play around with that a little - it means giving my squad BS 2+ when they land, or give the kriegers "move move move" in the command phase, getting their extra movement in, and then deepstriking the scion command squad nearby and ordering them to 'take aim' or 'fix bayonets' for some extra nasty stuff.
Tank Commander to give the Dorn a better chance to do work in Shooting

Solar is good as hell for repositioning units at the start of the game and for the CP gen every turn

I guess I'll see how it goes, Guard really requires orders and free strats to really get the synergy of their shooting, I'll report back!

Fun fact: Over at The Astra Militarum subreddit, there's a growing segment that now just goes "Orders, gently caress it" and run Guard lists that ignore both the Detachment lists AND the Army Rule, and they actually work, just sheer numbers is a way to compensate for the absence of Orders, not the best sign really.

And you absolutely should ignore the Detachment Rule, if you remain stationary in this edition, you've already lost.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I'm also moving towards that camp. The way everything is structured you need to sink way too many points into orders, and those giving the orders die like crazy unless you hide them away in extremely bloated command squads. Putting them into Chimeras restricts them to a 6 inch range, so also not useful.

Guard also need to move up and take ground, so sitting still to get lethal hits means you will lose. Great for arty though.

What is the deal with Cadian Command Squads? I like their ability, am I misunderstanding it? Ignoring modifiers is good, but not always relevant in my experience.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Seems like you're fine with orders for the artillery but yeah sending too many men to kill them all sounds dope.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Virtual Russian posted:

I'm also moving towards that camp. The way everything is structured you need to sink way too many points into orders, and those giving the orders die like crazy unless you hide them away in extremely bloated command squads. Putting them into Chimeras restricts them to a 6 inch range, so also not useful.

Guard also need to move up and take ground, so sitting still to get lethal hits means you will lose. Great for arty though.

What is the deal with Cadian Command Squads? I like their ability, am I misunderstanding it? Ignoring modifiers is good, but not always relevant in my experience.

Yeah, at this point I only toss orders onto some vehicles and only get lethal hits once my tanks are in combat.

Ignoring modifiers was OK since it'd let you keep OC when battleshocked and ignore BS/hit modifiers but it used to be unclear if weapon characteristics were covered. This has been cleared up in the rules commentary to say they're immune to those modifiers too, so a Cadian officer lets their squad ignore stuff like armour of contempt (a modifier to your AP) or the Redemptor dread's ability (-1 damage).

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Much like how Basilisks completely overshadow the other artillery, Leontus and Creed overshadow the other officers. There’s hardly a reason to use other units if you want those capabilities.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I'm not sure Kharn is worth the +20 (!) point increase, especially now that he's no longer a consistent vehicle threat, and is still one of the few HQ models with a downside.

At least they also upped other beatsticks like Helbrechet to a similar degree, though I suspect Helbrecht is both a better puncher and a stronger force multiplier than everyone's favorite team-killer.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

RagnarokZ posted:

not the best sign really.
A great sign actually. Perfect internal balance, either everything is poo poo or everything is good.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

Angry Lobster posted:

Blue horros, you could literally paint them as Sonic and wouldn't be out of character.

Its this

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

RagnarokZ posted:

Fun fact: Over at The Astra Militarum subreddit, there's a growing segment that now just goes "Orders, gently caress it" and run Guard lists that ignore both the Detachment lists AND the Army Rule, and they actually work, just sheer numbers is a way to compensate for the absence of Orders, not the best sign really.

And you absolutely should ignore the Detachment Rule, if you remain stationary in this edition, you've already lost.

I haven't played the new edition yet but hopefully this strat works with the Genestealer Cult

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

3 Action Economist posted:

Oh, yeah, the app isn't really terrible now it seems. I liked this battle bunker thing a lot.

Now if only they could figure out how to only show equipped weapons on the datacards.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
I'm painting my first tank. It is looking good by my standards. But how do I protect the paint on the bottom of the tracks? It's going to be exposed to a lot of friction during play, and the paint is already rubbing off. Do I just put on a very heavy layer of varnish? Do I simply not care, given that it's not going to be visible?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Athas posted:

I'm painting my first tank. It is looking good by my standards. But how do I protect the paint on the bottom of the tracks? It's going to be exposed to a lot of friction during play, and the paint is already rubbing off. Do I just put on a very heavy layer of varnish? Do I simply not care, given that it's not going to be visible?

Personally I'd just go with not caring, but you can always stick on a heap of varnish, then put it on a slide and watch it his mach 1 if you like.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
11th edition wishlist: vehicles with bases

Square bases

So that facing matters and sponsons can’t fire through the tank

Grogs unite

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Going to play my first 1k point game this weekend. Nearly have enough Guard built* (but not painted) to field that much, so I'll report back how badly I get smacked :v:

Speaking of which, I think I finally got my guard's paint scheme hammered out:

*I have two Dorn hulls, one is going to have its turret removed and no sponsons to stand in for a Basilisk.

Also, GW: extend the range of the Field Ordnance Battery to 60" or do something to bring its strength up. Seriously, it should occupy a solid middle ground between the vehicle based artillery and the man portable ones. Having the HWS have the same range as it for half the cost makes it relatively worthless. Hell, comparing the mortar to the cannon...

Mortar: 48", d6, 5+, 5, 0, 1, blast, heavy, indirect
Bombast Cannon: 48", d6, 5+, 7, -1, 2, blast, heavy, indirect
Basilisk: 240", d6+3, 4+, 8, -2, 2, blast, heavy, indirect

I can take 6 mortars for the price of two bombasts, and they're split into squads of 3 each. Ah well.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Spanish Manlove posted:

put it in the freezer, that makes CA glue brittle and easy to shatter

Shoehead posted:

Sure, I'll pop it in tonight. Now hopefully I don't forget about it and upset my parents when they go to get some peas in a month

Hi guess who was looking at photos of converted Tauroxeses and had an awful realisation

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I discovered last week that green soap seems to weaken plastic glue bonds, because bits on one of the guardsmen I painted I had glued on with it came off without resistance after being in the soak for a week or two.
Unless I did a bad job gluing it. Will have to check with something else in the future.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Athas posted:

Use a heavy coat of gloss varnish on the bottom. Then hit that with a light coat of matte varish.
The gloss will protect it, and then matte will even it out.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Shoehead posted:

Hi guess who was looking at photos of converted Tauroxeses and had an awful realisation

Happens to me too occasionally

Hatedad
Dec 2, 2020
My Khorne Demon 2k list felt borderline OP last update and with the collective points drop I've been able to fit in an additional bloodletters unit with a bloodmaster. Seems surreal that they'd give us another set of discounts when we were already so strong, but you won't catch me complaining.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Kind of disappointed ad-mechs kastellan robots didn't get a points decrease but Yay my sisters paragons are cheaper!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Bucnasti posted:

Use a heavy coat of gloss varnish on the bottom. Then hit that with a light coat of matte varish.
The gloss will protect it, and then matte will even it out.

i usually use 2 coats of gloss then matte but yeah the gloss is much thincker and deals with wear much better.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

iospace posted:

Going to play my first 1k point game this weekend. Nearly have enough Guard built* (but not painted) to field that much, so I'll report back how badly I get smacked :v:

Speaking of which, I think I finally got my guard's paint scheme hammered out:

That's a beautiful light blue, can i ask for your method?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Vagabong posted:

That's a beautiful light blue, can i ask for your method?

I can't speak for OP, but you can use shade paints directly on white/off-white to get some interesting light color effects. Agrax Earthshade applied directly can make an interesting light color wood, and then you can go over it with the grey shade to get the look of that grey type wood I forget the name of. This looks like it might be one of the blue shade paints applied directly to a white undercoat.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Xposting over from mini painting

ro5s posted:

I got myself the new genestealers, they're a huge upgrade over the old ones, they're really nice looking minis that sell the sense of motion they should have.

I also dug up an old carnifex model from a storage box. It was the first one I got starting out in 40K, built as a godfex originally then pulled apart to make a sniperfex and banished to storage once that loadout became illegal. I wanted to fix it up, see what I could do with it.

A veteran carnifex back from the dead? I think I've head that one before...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
very nice