Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

people seem to be targeting 4-5 million these days (as couples with or without kids), probably get away with half of that if you're single

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

shrike82 posted:

the good thing with (big) tech is that you can put in your 10 years and retire
it's kinda why folks doing FIRE are overwhelmingly big tech computer touchers

good work if you can get it

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

shrike82 posted:

people seem to be targeting 4-5 million these days (as couples with or without kids), probably get away with half of that if you're single

The DINKs

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

RealityWarCriminal posted:

good work if you can get it

I always remember this

https://www.brookings.edu/articles/opportunity-industries/

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

SKULL.GIF posted:

Not even the poor widdle mortgage companies can succeed under Brandonomics

https://twitter.com/MacroEdgeRes/status/1752785323065741449

GOOD! gently caress Mortgage Servicing Companies. The last one I worked for, the owners bought a bank (they made sure to stress that everyone knew it was the owners buying a bank, not the company), then did a huge round of layoffs because they needed to cut costs.

Re: Government jobs
The only one that I heard back from, the time table was about this:
6 months from date of application to first contact
2 months from first contact to first phone interview
2 months from date of phone interview to in-person interview
2 months from interview to "no thanks"

12 months to be just to be rejected.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

the milk machine posted:

10 years touching computers at the actual big tech companies could net you an easy $3-5 mil or better once you count stock and such (though this is nowhere close to reality anywhere but google/amazon/etc), i guess the trick is how much of that you can save versus spending it living the big time

you have to have gone to one of 10 universities to get any of those jobs in the first place while the $40/hr starting train driver job with a pension I just applied to requires a high school diploma and a driver's license

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Canned Sunshine posted:

Land; the landfill was to the north of it

trichloroethylene is the chemical seeping outta the soil there

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites
I mean sure if you gave me a tax free 5 million right now where I live I'd be p comfortable saying I could retire off it. Even just a simple bond ladder or w/e would get me enough annual income to never touch/grow the principle. But even 5 million if it's just fully taxable income over 10 years in a high CoL area it's gonna drastically cut that down, googling the average home sale price in san jose, silicone valley itself, is uh, like 1.5 mil jfc is that right? Nerd wallet indicates effective tax rates on that income would be about 150k/year, and you can't really shelter that in retirement stuff cause you're retiring early. I guess 2 mil leftover to live off would be maybe doable, 5% would be effectively 100k/yr passive income, but you'd also have to be paying full w/e price for bottom tier health insurances and such I dunno. I guess you wouldn't have to worry about saving any of that for retirement on top of things because you already have the big nest egg.

That's assuming you were making 500k out the gates and I'm note sure about that. My brother got a job at google p quickly out of college and has climbed fairly far up the ladder from what I can gather and while I've never talked to him about salary he is still working over a decade in and ended up choosing to buy a significantly cheaper house in a small town near our parents while teleworking rather than staying in san jose cause the CoL is so high.

PoundSand has issued a correction as of 23:58 on Jan 31, 2024

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

healthcare is the albatross that really keeps anyone from thinking about retiring early. you can manage to figure out housing/taxes somewhere. but you're one health problem away from monstrous bills and no income.

usa usa

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

PoundSand posted:

I mean sure if you gave me a tax free 5 million right now where I live I'd be p comfortable saying I could retire off it. Even just a simple bond ladder or w/e would get me enough annual income to never touch/grow the principle. But even 5 million if it's just fully taxable income over 10 years in a high CoL area it's gonna drastically cut that down, googling the average home sale price in san jose, silicone valley itself, is uh, like 1.5 mil jfc is that right? Nerd wallet indicates effective tax rates on that would be about 150k/year, and you can't really shelter that in retirement stuff cause you're retiring early. I guess 2 mil leftover to live off would be maybe doable, 5% would be effectively 100k/yr passive income, but you'd also have to be paying full w/e price for bottom tier health insurances and such I dunno. I guess you wouldn't have to worry about saving any of that for retirement on top of things because you already have the big nest egg.

the actual way SV techies did it for the last twenty or so years was by getting paid in a couple millions of dollars worth of RSUs over the course of several years, holding onto them for a few more years, and seeing them magically triple in value (and that incremental increase is only taxable at capital gains rates)

what if number goes down, you ask? they die, basically

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

those numbers are for retirement assets, you don't typically include your home in the figure since you can't monetise it in retirement

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

shrike82 posted:

those numbers are for retirement assets, you don't typically include your home in the figure since you can't monetise it in retirement

So if those numbers are for direct retirement assets then it's after you've bought a home and after you've paid taxes/living expenses during that time so we've gone from 5 mil earned in 10 years which is already quite high, I dunno if 500k/yr is a realistic salary your average person can shoot for (the 99th percentile is a mere 400k/yr according to google, so we're talking 25% more than the average of the top 1%), to 5 mil after buying a house and taxes and such which would mean making substantially more than the already pretty rare 1/2 mil income for 10 years.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
we are in a recession

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Fozzy The Bear posted:

GOOD! gently caress Mortgage Servicing Companies. The last one I worked for, the owners bought a bank (they made sure to stress that everyone knew it was the owners buying a bank, not the company), then did a huge round of layoffs because they needed to cut costs.

Re: Government jobs
The only one that I heard back from, the time table was about this:
6 months from date of application to first contact
2 months from first contact to first phone interview
2 months from date of phone interview to in-person interview
2 months from interview to "no thanks"

12 months to be just to be rejected.

My current agency role:

Applied in September
First contact with HR in January of the next year
First actual in-person interview in February
Job offer in March
Start date in April
Eight months end to end, and having subsequently tried to hire people onto my team here since, I am now painfully aware that my hiring was fast-tracked. :negative:

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
My hairline is in recession

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Have we tried negative interest rates?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
loving hell some of you

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

BrotherJayne posted:

Have we tried negative interest rates?

they do that in Japan and it's even more addictive than ZIRP, now they're probably stuck with it

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1168882690713690112

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

He's right

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

i did my ten+ years in manufacturing and all I got was no life and a destroyed body. where's my millions

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Maed posted:

you have to have gone to one of 10 universities to get any of those jobs in the first place while the $40/hr starting train driver job with a pension I just applied to requires a high school diploma and a driver's license

Are they just letting you drive a train with a car license?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

RealityWarCriminal posted:

i did my ten+ years in manufacturing and all I got was no life and a destroyed body. where's my millions

The problem was you did something useful and not become a parasite.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

we cannot afford a ZIRP GAP!!!! PRESIDENT BRANDON, CUT RATES NOW!!!!

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

healthcare is the albatross that really keeps anyone from thinking about retiring early. you can manage to figure out housing/taxes somewhere. but you're one health problem away from monstrous bills and no income.

usa usa

the secret is:

* build up a cash reserve while you're still working

* apply for medicaid once your income has dropped under $19k

(assets aren't counted toward medicaid eligibility & non-retirement savings don't count as income)

sure, you'll get hosed by inflation, but not as hosed as being forced to buy crap insurance you can't afford to use.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

zirp!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

In the Q&A sequence after the statement Powell said rate cuts would be sped up if there was unexpected labor market weakness.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Willa Rogers posted:

the secret is:

(assets aren't counted toward medicaid eligibility & non-retirement savings don't count as income)

sure, you'll get hosed by inflation, but not as hosed as being forced to buy crap insurance you can't afford to use.

There's a higher wealth / income version of this where you retire early and then very specifically manage your income to maximize the Obamacare / healthcare market subsidies. Either way, you have to have a big pile of wealth and the ability to precisely control how much of it you convert as income each year because you are significantly penalized for either undershooting or overshooting.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Willa Rogers posted:

the secret is:

Medicaid is state by state but a lot of states have very tight asset caps. Oregon’s is $2000 (with exclusions for car and home). Looks like California doesn’t, and even when it did it was very high

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Mr Hootington posted:

In the Q&A sequence after the statement Powell said rate cuts would be sped up if there was unexpected labor market weakness.

It seems like the baseline is expected weakness. The priority is going to be inflation control not unemployment.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Mr Hootington posted:

Time for even more layoffs! :v:

Powell's message seemed to be "no rate cuts today, no rate cuts in March, maybe rate cuts in the second half of the year as long as inflation is continuing to trend towards 2%." Unsurprisingly the market response to was to throw a big sad and the dow is down like 300 points.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mr Hootington posted:

so what im hearing is, we need to layoff more people so we can get rate cuts? hell yeah boys, get to it

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
feelgood story of the day: computer touchers losing money

lmao

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

quote:

Ozempic maker Novo Nordisk beats profit forecasts as weight-loss sales soar

Danish pharma giant Novo Nordisk on Wednesday reported better-than-expected earnings for 2023, propelled by a tsunami of demand for its blockbuster weight loss and diabetes drugs as new treatments emerge and compete for a slice of the growing market.

Novo Nordisk reported $33.7 billion of sales for 2023, an increase of 36% at constant exchange rates and beating analysts’ expectations.
Full-year operating profit also exceeded analysts’ expectations, climbing 44% at constant exchange rates to $15 billion.
Diluted earnings per share rose 52% to 18.61 Danish kroner ($2.7).
Around 90% of the drugmaker’s overall sales—$31.2 billion—came from its obesity and diabetes care division, which includes Ozempic and Wegovy, respectively authorized to treat diabetes and obesity.
Sales of GLP-1 diabetes medications—a class that includes Ozempic—and in obesity care were largely responsible for this uptick, Novo Nordisk said, rising 52% and 154% at constant exchange rates, respectively.
Novo Nordisk shares rose around 4% during early trading on Wednesday morning.

..zodium

lol its like half of denmarks gdp

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Xaris posted:

lmao

MUH TAXES lmao

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

PoundSand posted:

So if those numbers are for direct retirement assets then it's after you've bought a home and after you've paid taxes/living expenses during that time so we've gone from 5 mil earned in 10 years which is already quite high, I dunno if 500k/yr is a realistic salary your average person can shoot for (the 99th percentile is a mere 400k/yr according to google, so we're talking 25% more than the average of the top 1%), to 5 mil after buying a house and taxes and such which would mean making substantially more than the already pretty rare 1/2 mil income for 10 years.

yes. people doing tech work at big tech companies for several+ years make shitloads of money, especially if they started a decade or more in the past (huge amounts of that compensation were in stock)

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Xaris posted:

lmao

"hey you want to be basically set up comfortably for life?"

no, i dont want to pay taxes

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

it reminds me of the people who refuse raises worried about being in a higher tax bracket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Xaris posted:

lmao

parasite didn't want to pay his fair share in taxes. good riddance