Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Argyle Gargoyle posted:

So after that Blackcoats Daughter screening tonight Im curious what the thread felt about it whenever they saw it. Didnt care for it myself story-wise

I thought that the acting and cinematography were great, but the story was kind of lacking and disjointed. I would rather have had more of the story at the school than the constant time jumps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Argyle Gargoyle posted:

So after that Blackcoats Daughter screening tonight Im curious what the thread felt about it whenever they saw it. Didnt care for it myself story-wise

Every Oz Perkins movie I’ve seen (this, I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House, Gretel & Hansel) feels like someone doing an almost good impression of a movie I would really like. Still kinda excited for Longlegs though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House was boring as gently caress and one of the first times i realised that the RLM boys have lost their dang minds

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Kingo Ligma posted:

The new ghostbusters movie should not have any ghosts or ghostbusters in it and instead be a documentary about Bill Murray trying to steal the secret unreleased Wu-Tang album from Martin Skrelli as per Skrellis contract with the RZA.

Actually why the gently caress isn't Spike Lee making this right now????

We're gonna need a crew....

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House was boring as gently caress and one of the first times i realised that the RLM boys have lost their dang minds

They really liked Gretel & Hansel too. My theory is shortly before he passed Anthony Perkins set up a fund that would pay off reviewers to help his son’s career, but he wasn’t super flush, so the best it can afford is some random midwestern pant loads. I just got emailed a five dollar Bass Pro Shops gift card for being excited about Longlegs.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
oz perkins is still coasting on the good will from quigley

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Argyle Gargoyle posted:

I remember watching it and liking it, but I remember nothing about it except it had Emma Roberts.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

I can't believe argyle isn't getting good reviews. the critics will pay for besmirching argyle

I remember the trailer seemed to have a hard time both explaining the concept and demonstrating the movie would be fun. Like, just showing the fantasy book stuff, and then establishing that that was fantasy and the rest of the movie is real but it will keep cutting back and forth between them, and the plot is about the author who wrote the fantasy stuff getting into spy stuff but the spy stuff she gets into is less fantastical than the fantasy stuff that's how you can tell, and here is the cast for the fantasy stuff and here is the cast for the real stuff. And by the time it had done all that it didn't really manage to showcase anything fun about the movie.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Monkey Fracas posted:

Japan has approximately 5000 yokai to play around with

Blasting the hopping umbrella ghost wearing a sandal with a directed energy weapon

Koji Shiraishi could make the greatest Ghostbusters sequel of all time on a budget of 10,000 dollars.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

I would like to see new movies with new ip's

You say that but I bet you haven't watched any of the Senritsu Kaiki File Kowasugi File movies

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Kingo Ligma posted:

I would like to see movies made by people who make movies rather than jobbers doing the bare minimum to poo poo out exactly what the marketing dept demands after holding three focus groups with people who are literally too stupid and useless to have anything constructive to do at 3 am on a Wednesday.

Sounds like you would like to see the Senritsu Kaiki File Kowasugi File movies

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Gripweed posted:

I remember the trailer seemed to have a hard time both explaining the concept and demonstrating the movie would be fun. Like, just showing the fantasy book stuff, and then establishing that that was fantasy and the rest of the movie is real but it will keep cutting back and forth between them, and the plot is about the author who wrote the fantasy stuff getting into spy stuff but the spy stuff she gets into is less fantastical than the fantasy stuff that's how you can tell, and here is the cast for the fantasy stuff and here is the cast for the real stuff. And by the time it had done all that it didn't really manage to showcase anything fun about the movie.

I assume it's a Kingsman style wacky British comedy action movie with spys and one liners and such.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I don't watch "movies" from japan or italy

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

redshirt posted:

I assume it's a Kingsman style wacky British comedy action movie with spys and one liners and such.

yeah apparently the final twist is that it's set in the same universe as the Kingsmen. Which I had just assumed was true based off the poster and the director but apparently I wasn't supposed to assume that, it was supposed to be a twist.

Man, remember when there was only one Kingsmen movie, and it was a fun refreshing change from the increasingly dour James Bond movies? And then they made a sequel that wasn't very good setting up a spinoff that didn't happen. And then they made a prequel nobody watched. And now there's Argyle.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

I do

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h7QG7W14qs

:hmmyes:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Gripweed posted:

I think I might be more sick of spy plots than capeshit

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Gripweed posted:

yeah apparently the final twist is that it's set in the same universe as the Kingsmen. Which I had just assumed was true based off the poster and the director but apparently I wasn't supposed to assume that, it was supposed to be a twist.

Man, remember when there was only one Kingsmen movie, and it was a fun refreshing change from the increasingly dour James Bond movies? And then they made a sequel that wasn't very good setting up a spinoff that didn't happen. And then they made a prequel nobody watched. And now there's Argyle.

I watched the prequel. It had a few laughs but it was tonally a mess. It got like super serious about halfway into it, and then I forget the rest.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

I don't watch "children's adventure stories" star trek

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Sometimes I wonder if their are even spies anymore in this modern age.

Or rather spies like we see in movies. I think clandestine agencies just rely on tech and hacking now, or if they need a human element they pay off a local to do some wildly dangerous eavesdropping as a one-off and probably get them killed.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

sure okay posted:

Or rather spies like we see in movies. I think clandestine agencies just rely on tech and hacking now, or if they need a human element they pay off a local to do some wildly dangerous eavesdropping as a one-off and probably get them killed.

there are spies as depicted in Oliver Stone’s Salvador, not so much the Kingsman sort

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
99% of spying was, is, and will forever be, bribing or blackmailing some schlub to pass documents

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

sure okay posted:

https://news.yahoo.com/russian-spy-maria-butina-living-085213963.html

Either a dump truck full of money or a way-too-hot-Russian coming onto you at a diplomatic or media party.

FlatMac
Feb 1, 2024
https://www.theatermania.com/news/hinton-battle-original-scarecrow-in-the-wiz-dies-at-67_1728014/

Actor and Singer Hinton Battle, who played the Demon Sweet in an episode of the TV show Buffy the Vampire Slayer is kill.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

redshirt posted:

I watched the prequel. It had a few laughs but it was tonally a mess. It got like super serious about halfway into it, and then I forget the rest.

When Rasputin died he took all the fun with him.
Oh you wanted a layered captivating villian? Too bad, here's some wooden as gently caress rando thats mean to goats.
You know what, gently caress it, lets just have the abused goat save the day. Twice. TWICE!

X JAKK fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 1, 2024

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

sure okay posted:

What do you think Jeffrey Epstein was doing all that time?

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

I don't watch "children's adventure stories" star trek

swing and a miss

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

Biggest miss of Kingsman: International or whatever it was called was they presented the big villian reveal as some huge shocking twist and the whole audience is like

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
im surprised patrick stewart can even still perform a throwing motion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKzk1h7qrj8

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

guy ritchie rankings

1) swept away
1) snatch
2) lock stock
3) the one with statham
4) sherlock holmes

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

Hackers film 1995 posted:

guy ritchie rankings

1) swept away
1) snatch
2) lock stock
3) the one with statham
4) sherlock holmes

The one with Statham? I can't even tell if it's on that list already.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

everything about lock stock is perfect, from the scouse muppets, to the gangster who bit a guy's a throat out in real life

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

LookieLoo posted:

The one with Statham? I can't even tell if it's on that list already.

the weird Madonna influenced one

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

everything about lock stock is perfect, from the scouse muppets, to the gangster who bit a guy's a throat out in real life

It's fantastic. Snatch is as well, but's missing the rawness of the Lock Stock

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

Welcome to Season 12 of XJAKK: it is a show!

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

X JAKK posted:

When Rasputin died he took all the fun with him.

Just like in real life.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Movies make me want to be dead

https://twitter.com/netflix/status/1753068190954107327?s=46&t=wNf75G2WiIjbMjBMYW-m7Q

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hell yeah!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

just gonna keep posting this until it stops being true

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YigM-F4oSIE