Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Shut up and go back into a coma for half the show, grandpa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Unrelated but this translated description of the Proud Defender makes me laugh at how over the top it gets

My first thought when I saw the sword was "they shoehorned Lowe into this, didn't they."

And then they revealed there's also a Not-Gyan in this dumpster fire.

E: the Japanese fan base attachment to SEED feels like it has a lot of parallels to the Western fans attachment to Wing, at least in the "this is completely bugnuts why do you think it's Shakespeare?" area.

Plastic_Gargoyle fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 31, 2024

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Will Seed have recouped all the money blown on Metaverse?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

Will Seed have recouped all the money blown on Metaverse?

It's successful but probably not that successful unless the model kits do gangbusters.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It's successful but probably not that successful unless the model kits do gangbusters.

The Metaverse had 130 million in costs. Right now the movie's at about 6 million, and even assuming worse legs than Hathaway, it should get, oh, 25-30 million. So, that leaves 100 million.

Gundam in fiscal 2023 had 975 million in sales.

Assuming that 2024 isn't a major dropoff (which would be odd with how big the movie is, and Gundam's steady growth for the past few years), that means SEED FREEDOM needs to cover about 1/9th of all Gundam sales this year to bring in enough to cover for Metaverse. Admittedly, that ignores costs, but it also ignores sales of metaverse Gunpla and anything else that cushioned the blow, so I think we've got a pretty good shot at SEED covering for the damage.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The metaverse costs WHAT

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Don't forget that GunEvo was also technically part of the metaverse initiative.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tae posted:

The metaverse costs WHAT

15 billion yen in total for it and all associated projects.

Gundam was making way more money than ever before thanks to the pandemic gunpla boom, so Bandai was throwing money around like nobody's business at a lot of new investments. If it succeeded, they'd make bank. If they failed, they'd still have plenty to pay investors and support the core.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/MaskedMenace3rd/status/1752418258630640037?t=6adfEwUsZvaEgNNukzsAoA&s=19

Kai as Threepio makes too much sense...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

.. wait. Does that make Hayato Han Solo?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Only if it means Ryu is Chewie

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Ryu’s that one guy who crashes into the Super Star Destroyer in Return of the Jedi.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Ryu’s that one guy who crashes into the Super Star Destroyer in Return of the Jedi.

No Red Leader is clearly Sleggar

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/SEED_HDRP/status/1752164741420814608/photo/1

those poor animes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aw that's nice, each character is paired with their love interest.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
... the hell is that helmet shape.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Supremezero posted:

Stop right there, Coordinator scum!

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
I'm not even (really) talking about the... mouth area, I'm talking about the... weird rear end crest spiking?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Supremezero posted:

Bad

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Supremezero posted:

I'm not even (really) talking about the... mouth area, I'm talking about the... weird rear end crest spiking?

Characters were designed with an eye towards licensed dildo merch.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Saw this, got a laugh.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

chiasaur11 posted:

The Metaverse had 130 million in costs. Right now the movie's at about 6 million, and even assuming worse legs than Hathaway, it should get, oh, 25-30 million. So, that leaves 100 million.

Gundam in fiscal 2023 had 975 million in sales.

Assuming that 2024 isn't a major dropoff (which would be odd with how big the movie is, and Gundam's steady growth for the past few years), that means SEED FREEDOM needs to cover about 1/9th of all Gundam sales this year to bring in enough to cover for Metaverse. Admittedly, that ignores costs, but it also ignores sales of metaverse Gunpla and anything else that cushioned the blow, so I think we've got a pretty good shot at SEED covering for the damage.

As someone whose been doing gunpla for close to 25 years now it's loving insane how much it's blown up the past few years.

Gundam is doing just fine. Every non build series they have released this decade has done extremely well. Given the positive reception of the seed movie, I also expect the kits to be big sellers.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Warmachine posted:

Saw this, got a laugh.

lol

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4

Warmachine posted:

Saw this, got a laugh.

:perfect:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Warmachine posted:

Saw this, got a laugh.

I'm not sure why Uzumi is there unless Rau invited him so he can see Athrun's Cagalli Maneuver.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Monaghan posted:

As someone whose been doing gunpla for close to 25 years now it's loving insane how much it's blown up the past few years.

Gundam is doing just fine. Every non build series they have released this decade has done extremely well. Given the positive reception of the seed movie, I also expect the kits to be big sellers.

*checks dates*

Ah, I see, because Age's over a decade old

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
Was G-Reco a big success? I know it wasn't a failure like AGE, but was it a hit?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
The gunpla didn’t do too well but it got five movies so I guess the discs sold ok?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chrome line posted:

Was G-Reco a big success? I know it wasn't a failure like AGE, but was it a hit?

It was firmly in the lower-mid tier. Not AGE bad but it wasn't even really a moderate success, though the movies might have helped it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It was firmly in the lower-mid tier. Not AGE bad but it wasn't even really a moderate success, though the movies might have helped it.

The Gunplay apparently sold okay (heard a rumor that the initial run selling better than expected lead to an expanded line, but the timeline is awkward for that to be true) TV ratings were good for the time slot, and the DVD sales were pretty good (Between IBO season 1 and 2) but no. Movies didn't really move the needle. Weak box office, weak home sales. Seemed like they were mostly a favor to Tomino.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

By all the metrics that matter it was the most successful series in Gundam history

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

By all the metrics that matter it was the most successful series in Gundam history

Number of mobile suits pooped in?

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Some pointed out to me that the Windam has never gotten an on-screen win against another mobile suit before, ever. So this movie is going to be the very first time the Windam accomplishes anything on-screen.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Windam?

No,

Win? Dam!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

golden bubble posted:

Some pointed out to me that the Windam has never gotten an on-screen win against another mobile suit before, ever. So this movie is going to be the very first time the Windam accomplishes anything on-screen.

You know, I'd be genuinely curious to see a list of MS/MA/etc that never actually got an onscreen win. I'm sure it's mostly random MotW grunt suits but I'm sure there's some big name on there.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

ImpAtom posted:

You know, I'd be genuinely curious to see a list of MS/MA/etc that never actually got an onscreen win. I'm sure it's mostly random MotW grunt suits but I'm sure there's some big name on there.

There's definitely some final boss suits that never accomplish anything because they only get used against the hero at the end. Like the Zeong is almost there, but it destroys the gundam so it's not quite

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

The Windam is more surprising because it's not some enemy of the week suit. It's SEED Earth Federation's Jegan equivalent. And SEED's GM equivalent, the Dagger, gets plenty of on-screen kills in between scenes of it blowing up.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Monaghan posted:

It's actually kind of crazy not just how many people who weren't into it before are getting into it now for one reason or another, but how much better the kits have gotten. Like, just comparing a modern kit to one a decade ago is wild. The amount of colours and detail we get for run of the mill poo poo feels like something that would have been reserved for only special limited print poo poo not long ago.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Seriously, the HG Aerial is probably one of the best kits I've built

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Gunpla are absolutely wild in terms of cost:return compared to basically every other model kit manufacturer out there, even before you get into psychosis insanity pricing like Games Workshop products.