Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Not a Children posted:

All this fuckin copium they really think ZIRP is coming back and are trying to will it into existence against all evidence

it'll only happen if/when trump wins the election, so we're at least a year off of that

problem is that a ton more companies are on the verge of running out of cash and won't last long enough for zirp2 to happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Mr Hootington posted:

What do you want to know?

Other people have chimed in (productivity up, costs down). It's just a pattern and more often than not in not sure what you're posting with little context.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

American corporate fear of public opprobrium elevates the US economy above all others and ensures consumer satisfaction and safety.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

TeenageArchipelago posted:

But have you ever considered that a schedule might be useful? Please don't point out that you could easily do that from the device itself without cloud access.

If you disable location services on their iPhone app and open the app, it makes your wifi drop and tells you that you have to enable location services for it to work. Wonder why google wants to know my location at all times. hmmm

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

the popes toes posted:

American corporate fear of public opprobrium elevates the US economy above all others and ensures consumer satisfaction and safety.

Companies fear our criticism? That's news to me.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Posting graphs and not explaining them is time honored DOOMSDAY culture. Why single hoot out? All posters from xeris is posting book pages sans commentary to seraph posting twitter rage bait w/o commentary.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpLxmZJtnAU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

anonumos posted:

Other people have chimed in (productivity up, costs down). It's just a pattern and more often than not in not sure what you're posting with little context.

The ism and pmi numbers are 2 private monthly survey readings of how manufacturing or services are doing in the USA or other countries. The fed also has a monthly survey.

I posted the PMI report which if you read would tell you what the numbers mean. The ISM report goes into greater detail.
https://twitter.com/ZeigerDan/status/1753071279647961253?t=OaKGrmj0Hx_6Bhj2_6ldLg&s=19

Readings of above 50 means that section is considered to be in expansion. Below 50 is contraction. So if employment is above 50 that means services manufacturing is adding jobs. Below 50 means losing jobs.

Other highlights in those reports are the survey response which are sometimes funny.

Weekly new or continuing jobless is the number of people who lost their jobs and were able to file for UI benefits. Continuing means the number of people who did it at least 2 weeks in a row. Higher Continuing can indicate a worsening job market.

All of these numbers are important to the Federal Reserve and Treasury department. Good to stay informed. Thumbs-up

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

I still haven't even heard a good reason to lower rates. The economy is supposedly doing great and inflation is under control. Sounds like rates are right were they need to be then.

Other than please give us free money again obviously.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Raccooon posted:

I still haven't even heard a good reason to lower rates. The economy is supposedly doing great and inflation is under control. Sounds like rates are right were they need to be then.

Other than please give us free money again obviously.

Rated were raised to cause reduce housing prices, job loss, and reduced labor power. As soon as the job loss and reduced labor power happen meaningfully the rates will be cut.

Idk what the fed will do about housing, but they know that is all hosed up and is going to cause huge issues soon.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Not a Children posted:

All this fuckin copium they really think ZIRP is coming back and are trying to will it into existence against all evidence

manifesting is cool now op

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

Rated were raised to cause reduce housing prices, job loss, and reduced labor power. As soon as the job loss and reduced labor power happen meaningfully the rates will be cut.

Idk what the fed will do about housing, but they know that is all hosed up and is going to cause huge issues soon.

Yeah I don't see how housing doesn't just go crazy again after rates are cut. I don't think the Fed could meaningfully do anything about it. I would think the housing market needs regulations to remove institutional buyers to really do anything.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

I have noticed smaller towns in my area have been passing local ordinances against how many rental properties you can own. Lot of the locals were getting pissed their towns were being turned into massive Airbnb locations. Wonder if housing will just have to be fixed by local regs that trickle up to the state level over time.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Not a Children posted:

Nothing can be fixed anymore so every possible coping method must be maximized.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

But have you ever considered that a schedule might be useful? Please don't point out that you could easily do that from the device itself without cloud access.

All of this smart whatever poo poo is just awful. I still cannot get over how bad smart TV's are. They're all just slow as gently caress, terrible, awful, the worst. It's relatable, but I'd like a tv that's better than I am. I've never used one and preferred it over just having a roku or whatever plugged into the TV. Smart fridge? the gently caress do I need that for? Smart taoster, I get that, but smart french press? ZIRP ending will at least fix a lot of these things being around

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Those numbers say that yes. Labor costs down while productivity is up plus higher unemployment. That is the economy getting better.

by golly, Joe did it! :toot:

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

That the US banking sector apparently can't exist without ZIRP is very funny. No wonder the financial rags are acting like jonesing addicts.

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Raccooon posted:

I have noticed smaller towns in my area have been passing local ordinances against how many rental properties you can own. Lot of the locals were getting pissed their towns were being turned into massive Airbnb locations. Wonder if housing will just have to be fixed by local regs that trickle up to the state level over time.

housing is like pensions or tech jobs, you’re either someone in the club who has access, or you’re not. that won’t change without a revolution

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Raccooon posted:

I've said it before, but the one upside of HOAs is that a lot of them now have bylaws forbidding short-term rentals & they enforce them better than municipalities bc of the Karen factor.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Mandel Brotset posted:

housing is like pensions or tech jobs, you’re either someone in the club who has access, or you’re not. that won’t change without a revolution

and they let half of the country in on the grift so they can keep squeezing the other half, so a revolution isn't going to happen

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/pittsburgh/news/moon-township-landslide-beaver-grade-road-families-evacuate/

quote:

"If you have a home and it is located somewhere that is prone to landslides, which is basically almost every homeowner in Western Pa., then that is something that needs to be addressed," state Rep. Valerie Gaydos said.

"I see people's lives devastated," state Rep. Emily Kinkead said. "All of a sudden, you have a house that you're supposed to be able to build generational wealth with and it's gone."

If a house is a tool for building wealth first and a human need second what the gently caress do you think happens eventually

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud has issued a correction as of 18:09 on Feb 1, 2024

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Nothus posted:

That the US banking sector apparently can't exist without ZIRP is very funny. No wonder the financial rags are acting like jonesing addicts.

Lol and lmao

These are Hampton and Long Island rear end homeloans loans of the medium boug. Fuckin burn!

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Egg Moron posted:

Many have said that AI seems to have made every search engine become dogshit because when you look anything up you now get an obviously ai generated article that buries the information you want under a pile of ads and often does not even include the information you want anyway

I dunno, just really feeling like we are at the true end of the Obama era techno optimism that accompanied the iPhone and internet 2.0 and all that poo poo

Technobarbarism

when im like 80 im going to be giving kids speeches like elrond telling frodo that he was there when the strength of men failed except about the internet and ad revenue

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

All of this smart whatever poo poo is just awful. I still cannot get over how bad smart TV's are. They're all just slow as gently caress, terrible, awful, the worst. It's relatable, but I'd like a tv that's better than I am. I've never used one and preferred it over just having a roku or whatever plugged into the TV. Smart fridge? the gently caress do I need that for? Smart taoster, I get that, but smart french press? ZIRP ending will at least fix a lot of these things being around

Pretty soon everything is going to be "smart" so that it can sell your usage data to advertisers, they only invest a pittance into making these lovely UIs with bottom of the barrel chips powering them so they can datamine you.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Mr Hootington posted:

I'm fairly certain that we would have been in a "offical" recession by now if not for inflstion keeping GDP readings high.

I doubt NBER would call an official recession without at least one or two quarters of noticeably increasing unemployment. Lots of layoff headlines with no real change in employment, so either we're just cooking the books that hard or we're still bouncing off the end-of-cycle unemployment lows.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

https://twitter.com/Papapishu/status/1752919287763742961?t=uHHlbFA_AVdpWcKJEI2gNw&s=19

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

i have a first gen samsung led-backlit tv from like 14 years ago that that was the absolute zenith of tv design, super thin panel, glass bezel, absolutely no connectivity whatsoever, it was the first tv i ever owned that wasnt a lovely dorm crt/vcr combo thing that i saved up for with money from my first real job and you can pry it from my cold dead hands i will never give it up

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Raccooon posted:

Yeah I don't see how housing doesn't just go crazy again after rates are cut. I don't think the Fed could meaningfully do anything about it. I would think the housing market needs regulations to remove institutional buyers to really do anything.

There will be a boost but the question is if the Fed actually can go back to the days of zero rates. The fact that the big pivot consistently gets delayed says something.

I would argue the big issue is still inflation and the value of the USD. The US needs to keep the USD in balance and if they didn’t raise rates, it would cause a degree of devaluation. This has a side effect against housing prices and jobs.

The housing market arguably needs regulation, but it also needs supply. The big issue in many major metro areas there just isn’t anywhere to reliably build and usually the infrastructure is pretty terrible in most American cities. American cities were only really designed to get so big in a sense and the system is failing.

Arguably cutting and pasting what China does could work, but the chances of that happening are very low.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

The Oldest Man posted:

i have a first gen samsung led-backlit tv from like 14 years ago that that was the absolute zenith of tv design, super thin panel, glass bezel, absolutely no connectivity whatsoever, it was the first tv i ever owned that wasnt a lovely dorm crt/vcr combo thing that i saved up for with money from my first real job and you can pry it from my cold dead hands i will never give it up

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

gently caress yeah, Zenith!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

euphronius posted:

many doctors make that much

definitely radiology, anesthesiology, any sort of interventional thing, most surgery stuff. though obviously you have to go through a lot of school first, and debt

my radiologist friend has a house with his own tennis court

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

that is certainly a chart

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Raccooon posted:

locality’s can just require residential places to be owner occupied except for apartments or whatever

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

:sickos:

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Raccooon posted:

Such things will be undone at the state level...

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I assume the fed will jsut take their bad assets and give them good ones

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

euphronius posted:

that is certainly a chart

Bank_crisis.jpeg

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

euphronius posted:

I assume the fed will jsut take their bad assets and give them good ones

that is what that program the fed is winding down does

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Raccooon posted:

A nation of landlords needs employed people to rent so for housing prices to go up the 50% everyone is predicting you would need an economy that can absorb even higher rents than now.

Depending on how hard the renters get hosed the landlords aren't really going to be able to just buy every house at $1,000,000+ and find renters willing to pay $5,000 a month for a 1 bedroom condemned house.

I'm sure rates dropping will mean more houses sold mostly due to the sheer insane greed of the 2020-2023 real estate market minting a trillion millionaires ready to get more properties under their belt but there is a limit somewhere. Eventually supply will increase when the assholes with 500 AirBNBs target demographic is now homeless and eating beans out of a can they bashed open with a rock.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

anonumos posted:

Such things will be undone at the state level...

there’s been a ton of this going on in Iowa to punish the few Blue areas who get out of line and try to pass a law saying trans people are humans or whatever.

states are the laboratory of democracy, but counties and cities are apparently errant children it was a mistake to ever give any independence to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

ai must die