Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

eggrolled posted:

I was thinking about single player party composition and I was thinking similarly but can't decide on two slots:

Vane - tanky damage
Gran/Djeeta - utility/support primary, damage secondary

But for the ranged slot i can't decide between Cagliostro, Rosetta, and Rackam
And for smash I guess I could either go with Vaseraga, Charlotta, or Zeta

Are any of these folks more synergistic with each other than others? I'm barely at chapter 5 so I only have Vane unlocked plus the base crew.
Tanky damage: Ghandagoza, Narmaya, Vane, Vaseraga, the post-game character
All of these characters have options to self-buff with extra survivability or draw aggro. Some are more damage than tank, and some are more tank than damage, but you can be flexible with how you build them.

Utility damage: Captain, Katalina, Rosetta, Ferry
These characters have a lot of support options built into their kit, particularly the Captain, although some are more damage than utility. There are no truly passive support characters in the game -- all of them have to fight to make their abilities better, or have kits that favor more damage output -- but these four have a lot of utility built in.

Ranged/mage: Rackam, Io, Eugen, Cagliostro
These characters shoot guns or spells. Io and Cagliostro have healing and revival options in their skills, while Eugen and especially Rackam just absolutely churn out massive damage if they can set up.

Pure DPS: Lancelot, Percival, Siegfried, Charlotta, Yodarha, Zeta
These characters all mostly smash. Some of them have one or two utility spells, but they're probably better served just keeping a bunch of DPS skills on CD and trying to all-in during Breaks or Link Time.

If you choose one from each of these categories you'll probably have a solid team setup. You can absolutely double dip if you prefer different playstyles; my main party composition is the post-game character as main, then the Captain, Vane, and Io, but I built the post-game character as more of a damage dealer. The game's flexible enough to allow for that. You can build a pure-damage Captain who is very good, and you can do a supporty Cagliostro if that's your preference; some characters are just better at a given "role" than others, although it's somewhat arbitrary dividing them up the way I have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

jokes posted:

Anyways, you just outlined that 2 of the 3 games are spinoffs, and only the spinoffs are officially available in the West, so it makes sense that someone would feel like they only see spinoffs. One is a fighting game for some reason.
i mean somethings popular so they made a fighting game, thats normal. as soon as you know the original game exists idk what the confusion is

Orv
May 4, 2011

Joink posted:

How's this game feel with keyboard and mouse? Want to give it a shot but K+M is my only option.

It’s resoundingly fine on kbm. It does that thing where it’s clearly a secondary concern, so instead of a smooth camera control you get that kind of wobbly/swimmy orbit camera and you’ll need to crank the sensitivity all the way up. The default keys are also a bit ??? but fully rebindable.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

I mean, Granblue Fantasy as a property is also basically just "what if old fantasy-set Final Fantasy had a One Piece plot," and a lot of the content is relatively episodic once you have the general gist and introduction pat. That's why Relink's only story-active characters are Katalina, Rackam, Io, Eugen, and Rosetta, right? They're the "main" crew, and everyone else you pull on a banner, or they have largely self-contained episodic arcs.

What I mean to say is that "spinoff" doesn't feel exactly right. It's all just one big amorphous blob. Like, I would not be surprised at all if Id showed up in the gacha. I don't think Avia is somehow "non-canon" because they're in Relink.

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

guts and bolts posted:

...If you choose one from each of these categories you'll probably have a solid team setup. You can absolutely double dip if you prefer different playstyles; my main party composition is the post-game character as main, then the Captain, Vane, and Io, but I built the post-game character as more of a damage dealer. The game's flexible enough to allow for that. You can build a pure-damage Captain who is very good, and you can do a supporty Cagliostro if that's your preference; some characters are just better at a given "role" than others, although it's somewhat arbitrary dividing them up the way I have.

Thanks for this write-up. I'm sure it'll help other folks decide on their comps. It definitely helps me out. Appreciate it.

Unshockingly I think I'm going to play Vane as my post-game character, as that damage immunity bubble seems super nice for harder content.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

eggrolled posted:

Thanks for this write-up. I'm sure it'll help other folks decide on their comps. It definitely helps me out. Appreciate it.

Unshockingly I think I'm going to play Vane as my post-game character, as that damage immunity bubble seems super nice for harder content.
Vane has armor points, which are exceptionally handy if you don't have access to Stout Heart yet (or don't want to run the Sigil for it), and many of the harder bosses have phases where you're expected to avoid a whole cascade of bullshit while they're untargetable. Vane's bubble is unbelievably good for enabling another pure DPS to just either completely ignore annoying mechanics, or for your whole party to just sit in the bubble so they can ignore the cinematic dodge phases. There's a compelling argument that he's the best character in the game, or at least one of them.

Because of how his Invincibility bubble works, he pairs best with melee, but you can sort of just do whatever you want with him. Vane rules, you made a good choice.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023

Endorph posted:

what? There's only 4 things. Versus, which is a spinoff. Relink, which is a spinoff. The anime, which adapts the gacha game. And the gacha game. It's not exactly confusing.

I mean I looked at each and the fighting game, this rpg, the manga and anime all have some form "set in the world of Granblue Fantasy" my mind just skipped over the gatcha game as also a spin off and assumed it was like a novel series or a really, really old game.

I didn't exactly dive far past looking at what media there was.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
There a chapter completion guide out there yet? Seeing plenty to find the pincers but I want to find the other stuff too.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Neito posted:

If you're talking about cerulian sparks (Draw 300 times and you get to pick a character), my understanding is that that was a Japanese law to prevent it from being considered gambling.

I"m not sure it was a law but they did cause they got heat from the Japanese government cause people complained they didn't get a unit at the time and they spent a lot of money. So they added it in to take the heat off

It's just sorta of spread across the industry to keep the government happy but also it actually ends up getting more people to spend more since it gets people who aren't at full rolls to spend to get maybe 10-30 rolls to get a spark which turns out is a lot more people than whales that just keep spending (And the Whales will still spend..)

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
If anyone is curious I recorded a comparison of the cloth and hair physics at different framerate caps on the PC version. Nothing too crazy but there is a difference in how animated it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkO4PZB1H1U

Orv
May 4, 2011
:staredog: Chapter 6

Hey what if your really generic anime game was just Revengeance for a minute?

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

I'm taking my time with Relink, but so far I really like it! The forest area early on rewarded me for wandering around and poking into all the little tunnels and hidden corners, the more cinematic battles are quite spectacular, and the different ways you can build characters also seem quite engaging. Have not touched the auto battle yet, this is really fun to play. Writing seems a little flat, but I get the feeling once I get out of Town 1 things will pick up quite a bit.

EDIT: Also, keyboard controls feel a little busy, but they work just fine

avoraciopoctules fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Feb 2, 2024

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the writing's higlights are mostly the side skits and dialog in the villages and stuff. the plot picks up towards the end tho

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
Really enjoying this and I have no idea what a Granblue is but the ps5 demo sold me on the gameplay alone. I do wish that the performance mode on console was 2k upscaled or something because I feel like theres no real reason the ps5 cant do the quality mode at 60. Maybe a future patch will address this :pray: That said the scaling effect they do where distant textures start to look like a watercolor/impressionist painting is really good looking

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Endorph posted:

the writing's higlights are mostly the side skits and dialog in the villages and stuff. the plot picks up towards the end tho

I'm in the final chapter and yeah the writing definitely picks up near the end. There were some good turns that I did not expect at all (in a good way).

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

I gotta say the story in this starts out pretty generic in the very beginning (common anime tropes + oh nooo goblins!!). But it really picks up, gets interesting, and doesn't throw much filler at you--stuff absolutely happens and escalates quickly. It becomes much better than I ever thought it would.

I just finished Chapter 6 and will probably complete the story tomorrow. Stuff got way wilder than I expected and I look forward to seeing what madness awaits.

I only got introduced to Granblue lore/world through Versus Rising and there definitely isn't much explanation in the fighting game if you don't play the story mode. I appreciate how a person can jump into Relink with no lore knowledge and learn as little or as much as they want and still have a good time.

This game and Granblue in general snuck up on me; I'm enjoying myself a lot.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
e: done

fool of sound fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Feb 2, 2024

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah the mobile game itself also kinda has the 'starts out generic gets pretty wild' stuff just over the course of a decade and not 15 hours. start at fighting an evil empire, get to fighting an evil time traveling baby.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I wouldn't call that baby a time traveller

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

I’d say that things start to get interesting in main Granblue around the time you are done with the first elemental tour and learning what the evil empire was like in the past and could potentially be in the future. Though they definitely introduce some interesting/likeable characters before then.

Just got through the Large Goblin chapter, I decided to bring the fire character to deal with the wind problem in accordance with the GBF elemental advantage and Rackam is more interesting than I thought! That last charge on your strong attack is worth building up heat for, and you really benefit from hopping on a cottage or rock to take advantage of your range and auto aim. The timing for burst fire required attention, and I couldn’t do it reliably when I was dealing with close up enemies.

It feels like the optional encounter boxes are tuned just hard enough to press you a bit if you are doing every quest once, but not KO you unless you are playing really sloppily. Done two of those in goblin chapter, plus some fun little platforming collect-orbs minigames. Traversing environment and exploring continues to be a highlight, but I am starting to really dig the combat too.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

In case anyone is interested in the main game and has seen somebody say that it's "not available in the west"(?), all you do is go to the website https://game.granbluefantasy.jp/ and pick English.
That's it, you're playing.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Kobogartimer posted:

In case anyone is interested in the main game and has seen somebody say that it's "not available in the west"(?), all you do is go to the website https://game.granbluefantasy.jp/ and pick English.

oh, you liked that joint? well actually there's some black tar heroin right here if you wanna shoot up

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Kobogartimer posted:

I mentioned it's not available in the West because it's not, in the sense that you play it in browser on the Japanese site and have to make an account on a site that is itself in Japanese. Or was, when I started playing, which was admittedly a long time ago. You can't go find it in your Android or iOS store. I'm not saying the barrier to entry is super high, particularly given that the game is entirely playable in English text, but it isn't marketed in the US and is considered as having not been released here.

Cygames doing pretty good work localizing the anime, fighting games, and Relink has been pretty surprising to me. Like, a welcome surprise, but it's still wholly understandable why Americans might have zero idea what GBF even is.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the black tar heroin in this instance has Mirin so its pretty good

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Part of the problem for the mobile game is cause they have an English translation and people playing it they really cant do an English client/ap cause none of the current players would move over and if they forced the move it would kill the game in English

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Endorph posted:

the black tar heroin in this instance has Mirin so its pretty good

It has Shark lesbians and Djeeta just married Catura so this is very much accurate

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I enjoyed the story mode. My only criticism would be maybe a few too many unwinnable fights.

I'm not sure I want to spend too much time in post game grinding. I'll have to see just how much of it is break boss immediately, dump tons of damage and then run around until the frenzy wears off, repeat. And maybe if the other quest types get better too IDK

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Rascyc posted:

I enjoyed the story mode. My only criticism would be maybe a few too many unwinnable fights.

I'm not sure I want to spend too much time in post game grinding. I'll have to see just how much of it is break boss immediately, dump tons of damage and then run around until the frenzy wears off, repeat. And maybe if the other quest types get better too IDK
The game picks up a lot once you're in Extreme and Maniac mode. The bosses become genuinely challenging, particularly the gatekeeper boss to Proud difficulty, and you largely can't just Break -> kill, at least not with the levels of power I've seen in my queues. I feel like the story is cool, but the meat and potatoes of the game is the "post-game"/Chapter 0 content; it really is MonHun with a cool GBF skin. The story also has the drawback of doing a bad job preparing people for how the endgame loop works, because it sort of does teach you to just all-in during a single Break phase and immediately win whatever fight you're in, and that's... not really how the endgame plays out at all.

I'd stick with it until you're in the Extreme and Maniac difficulties, which aren't anything that's like, hard to grind for, and if you're not feeling it, you can safely drop the rest.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
put in about four hours on PC, currently at the start of chapter 4

i kinda regret not doing the optional quests before doing chapters 2 and 3 because i was a bit underleveled for the last real boss fight, but on normal it wasn't too bad. was actually kinda nice having to use a revive potion at one point, was worried the game was a bit too easy (and seems like it probably will be once i'm back up to normal level)

i'm just playing the captain so far, seems like the way to go for soloing the story. is it easiest just to save co-op for postgame? i figure with the story being so short everyone's gonna be at way different power levels, unless it does stuff to sync your power down or something

i've been playing on high at 1440p60 on a 3070 and it runs fine, though honestly a game that looks like this should run fine at like 120fps on that card, and it's not really there. it also has some kind of weird frame pacing/microstutter stuff locked at 60, though i stopped noticing it after the tutorial. it's not really that bad, maybe just an artifact of how their frame limiter works (toggling vsync didn't help). was playing with exclusive fullscreen since a few people blamed borderless/windowed mode on crashes, dunno if that would affect the stutter. definitely no crashes or anything here yet

going to try installing it on my steam deck, though at 80 gigs i'm gonna have to put it on my sd card which will probably make loading times real fun

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Important question: does the Relink OST have a remake of the Tiamat Omega theme? That was probably my favorite track in the base Granblue OST

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Used my 2nd ticket on Vaseraga, I think I've found my calling in this game.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
gently caress the chapter 5 boss and its theme goes so hard. What an absolute chaos.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Super early in the game, but I'm enjoying it. Just beat the Chapter 2 boss. Performance isn't great on PS4 Pro, but it's not terrible. A little choppy in town and out in the wild, but smooth so far in the big fights.

It's pulling me in more than, say, Scarlet Nexus did in its opening hours. I'm digging the smaller ARPG levels sections capped off with a Monster Hunter-ish boss fight. The upgrading is also scratching that MonHun itch, too. Gonna try doing some low level quests online today and see how that goes. Also going to do some of the Fate Episodes for the stat boosts.

Basically, its got me wanting to keep going and get deeper into all the systems. So that's good. It's just a matter of finding the time between the 2 other other games I'm trying to play as well.

Edit - But I will say, having dodge on R2 is messing me up. So used to having it on O. And there doesn't seem to be an option to rebind it. I'm also not sure when it's better to dodge vs block. I unlocked Perfect Block and Perfect Dodge for Djeeta but don't know if/when I'm actually triggering them. I'm sure I'll have plenty of chances to learn.

Paying2Lurk fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Feb 2, 2024

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Locked up again after the chapter 8 boss so I had to repeat ANOTHER scripted loss. Didn't tab out or anything this time. Wouldn't be a big deal if they just put a checkpoint right after the boss but nope.

The game has been spectacular the whole way through but chapter 6 really kicked things up several notches in terms of difficutly and spectacle.

Been playing Ghandagoza and I love the character, but I don't love his mechanics. Maybe I need to try his other skills but having his punch-meter be gated behind the last hit of his long rear end X combo feels bad, having the meter fall off if I'm not hitting anything for a few seconds feels bad (the fighting style is called ETERNAL rage :mad:), having to do timed attacks but your timing getting messed up during other character's SBA attack cutscenes feels bad. I still want to play him because when you're blowing up dudes with your fists you feel like a Fist of the North Star character.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Feb 2, 2024

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Paying2Lurk posted:

Super early in the game, but I'm enjoying it. Just beat the Chapter 2 boss. Performance isn't great on PS4 Pro, but it's not terrible. A little choppy in town and out in the wild, but smooth so far in the big fights.

It's pulling me in more than, say, Scarlet Nexus did in its opening hours. I'm digging the smaller ARPG levels sections capped off with a Monster Hunter-ish boss fight. The upgrading is also scratching that MonHun itch, too. Gonna try doing some low level quests online today and see how that goes. Also going to do some of the Fate Episodes for the stat boosts.

Basically, its got me wanting to keep going and get deeper into all the systems. So that's good. It's just a matter of finding the time between the 2 other other games I'm trying to play as well.

Edit - But I will say, having dodge on R2 is messing me up. So used to having it on O. And there doesn't seem to be an option to rebind it. I'm also not sure when it's better to dodge vs block. I unlocked Perfect Block and Perfect Dodge for Djeeta but don't know if/when I'm actually triggering them. I'm sure I'll have plenty of chances to learn.

R2 to dodge is something the game clearly inherited from Bayonetta series. Perfect dodge causes a brief slowmo effect so you know you did it right and "Invincibility" buff which does what it says.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Is there a way to lock the lock-on? Normally in these games having the camera and lock-on target select on the same input (right stick) is fine, but it feels like you move around a lot more in this game that other arpgs I've played so I'm constantly having moments where I want to both swivel the camera and maintain a lock but I can't.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Unlocked Extreme difficulty and the final Epilogue. Ho Boy, game is getting hard

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
CRAB HUNT 2024

Finished chapter 2 and the boss in that went soo much faster then in the demo.

Eugen is pretty fun just for lobbing sticky grenades and taking out mobs quickly.

Lyria get out of the way

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It's sorta funny going from FFXIV and some other modern fantasy with a big story emphasis on acceptance and community to the much more, uh, classic "oh yeah goblins are ugly and stupid and evil, go kill them" lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Just cleared the credits, fun final boss fight for the story but I managed to cut down how dramatic it was by beating on it from the back rather than from the front, much less impressive.

Now the real game begins.