Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

Fansy posted:

That Sedaris-style pressure to unmask is a relic of 2022. I had a guy at the museum ask "are you sick?" the other day and my kid's teachers still say, "oh we love to see her beautiful smile!" but people have stopped overtly asking us to unmask.

i had someone ask me if im worried about covid

what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

durrneez posted:

what the gently caress

I've had this twice recently, but it seemed honest to god earnest. The conversation went into how everyone they know keeps getting sick and some have lingering stuff.

I've also had a couple of people do the passive aggressive dry fake cough at me as soon as they pass on the street.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Soap Scum posted:

feel free to not answer for privacy reasons but by any chance are you referring to a Friends school that's not quite inside the true official major city in your area

that specific one is a friends school, yeah, but god-tier HVAC upgrades aren't uncommon in any of the private schools around here

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

durrneez posted:

what the gently caress

tell them you are doing it because of 5G and you'll probably get more agreement than if you say COVID

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Insanite posted:

that specific one is a friends school, yeah, but god-tier HVAC upgrades aren't uncommon in any of the private schools around here

as insulation standards increased and efficiency was pushed, more and more demand got put on HVAC systems to move air around instead of rattletrap construction giving all the ventilation you could want

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

no lube so what posted:

I've had this twice recently, but it seemed honest to god earnest. The conversation went into how everyone they know keeps getting sick and some have lingering stuff.

I've also had a couple of people do the passive aggressive dry fake cough at me as soon as they pass on the street.
A coworker recently asked me (the mask guy) whether the virus was still changing or not. They were earnest.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Zugzwang posted:

A coworker recently asked me (the mask guy) whether the virus was still changing or not. They were earnest.

My wife had a conversation with a friend whose kid keeps getting sick and now has lingering chronic fatigue (blurhg) where the friend said something like, "It's like a cold" and my wife went to say "wellll" and her friend stopped her and said, "No, I mean in the sense that it's everywhere, not that it's not a big deal to get it."

I haven't observed that many people in the real world around here aggressively pushing the "it's mild" narrative except (hilariously) doctors, but the helplessness is pretty real. Like that friend is a single parent who works and doesn't have a lot of money, what the gently caress is she supposed to do with her kid? Pull him out of school? It's a nightmare.

bedpan posted:

as insulation standards increased and efficiency was pushed, more and more demand got put on HVAC systems to move air around instead of rattletrap construction giving all the ventilation you could want

i live in a leaky old building with a fireplace that actually creates a draft now and the ventilation throughput is nuts, poorly sealed doors and windows op

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

lol

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I've noticed a largely unspoken change in attitudes around masking and the acknowledgment of Covid's continued threat around these parts within the last few months. A few coworkers are stuck with a perma-cough, a few managers have admitted they've had brain fog for a while now, and I see more customers wearing masks when "something is going around." I think many Americans are starting to accept the reality that East Asia largely accepted with SARS: You will need to wear a mask sometimes.

Despite this, people are still packing themselves like sardines into the dining halls and dormitories. They can't quite make that final jump into "Sometimes, I will have to be inconvenienced." Uniquely American, as W said about that woman working three jobs to get by.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Insanite posted:

My approach to school safety was to live in a crappier rental in an expensive area where the public schools have good ventilation because it's cheaper than sending the kids to private school

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Rescue Toaster posted:

I've had some weird rear end sore throat that turned into a permanent lump in throat sensation and/or weird tightness in my neck. Dr was just like "Sounds like an upper respiratory infection." I mean fair enough, but how the gently caress did I catch one if I wear an Aura even to wheel the trash cans out?

Did you happen to get Novavax recently? This sounds exactly like what happened to me back in November.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Living in covid-world has legitimately increased my interest in gardening, and over the past few years I have grown more and more of my own produce, but I think you'd need to be at multi-acre homestead scale for it to count as "farming".

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
COVID has killed (at least) 10,000 people in the US over the last four weeks and nobody gives a poo poo lol

Trying to think about what would happen if ten 787's went down four weeks in a row. Would that be considered mild? Or would it be considered something of an issue?

What if we had over 3 9/11's in one month? Would everyone shrug and say that's the new normal, we have to learn to live with 9/11's?

Oh well, who cares, COVID is old news, stop living in 2020.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Trying to think about what would happen if ten 787's went down four weeks in a row. Would that be considered mild? Or would it be considered something of an issue?

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

lol good point, if 40 planes went down in a month they'd just say the pilots weren't white.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Internet Janitor posted:

Living in covid-world has legitimately increased my interest in gardening, and over the past few years I have grown more and more of my own produce, but I think you'd need to be at multi-acre homestead scale for it to count as "farming".

Last I checked out self sufficient farming, the rule of thumb is to have 10 acres at minimum to have enough for the entire year.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
A heads up for anyone kicking themselves for missing the deal last summer - PAPR's are on sale at Fischer Sci again. Roughly $130.

You do need a business account unfortunately, but maybe some people with LLC's will be able to grab one.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

https://youtu.be/G0AXgaFqEas?si=pKoFot7zULz-Gz4U

COVID is now part of the plan, just like flu was before and still is.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Oh you're upset because your plane crashed? What did you want? Boeing shareholders to get less ROI because of potentially wasted so called safety efforts? You're so selfish.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Shiroc posted:

Oh you're upset because your plane crashed? What did you want? Boeing shareholders to get less ROI because of potentially wasted so called safety efforts? You're so selfish.

Don't be childish, you need to acknowledge that It's Complicated

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
It's the duty of a publicly owned corporation to maximize shareholder value. It would be illegal to give workers time and wages necessary to make sure bolts are tightened.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Drake No: spending billions to preserve human life
Drake Yes: spending billions to give PMC sociopaths cushy gigs writing apologia for the killing machine

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Fired all of the technical writers and instead have chatgpt write the operations manuals. It references what to do for 6 bolts that don't exist and uses slurs.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Shiroc posted:

Fired all of the technical writers and instead have chatgpt write the operations manuals. It references what to do for 6 bolts that don't exist and uses slurs.

it's going to be really funny when this is true but nytimes op eds are still lovingly handcrafted human excrement

not "ha ha" funny. more like "lol lmao" funny.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Shiroc posted:

:lmao:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

NeonPunk posted:

Last I checked out self sufficient farming, the rule of thumb is to have 10 acres at minimum to have enough for the entire year.

All the acres in the world won't save you from the various faces of climate death:

water: too much/little! wrong time!
temperature: too high/low! wrong time!
animal: too much! wrong kind!
fire: too much!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Pingui posted:

I am currently watching the WHO COVID-19 live update and I think this about sums it up (live poll on participants):

Link if anyone else is interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34G7JUxOFf4

I'm "exercise"

Apr 7, 2003

COVID has killed (at least) 10,000 people in the US over the last four weeks and nobody gives a poo poo lol

still hearing PSAs on the radio about how you should be careful with leftover food since foodborne illness kills 3,000 a year

btw is there a source for 2,000+ covid deaths per week over the last four weeks that I can wave around if anyone questions it? Because it sure as poo poo ain't on the news.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Pingui posted:

I am currently watching the WHO COVID-19 live update and I think this about sums it up (live poll on participants):

Link if anyone else is interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34G7JUxOFf4

Handwashing lol

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

The Oldest Man posted:

I haven't observed that many people in the real world around here aggressively pushing the "it's mild" narrative except (hilariously) doctors,
The doctor thing has gotta be some combo of class privilege and cognitive dissonance ("we aren't controlling the virus so it must be fine"), right?

lol

tuyop posted:

All the acres in the world won't save you from the various faces of climate death:

water: too much/little! wrong time!
temperature: too high/low! wrong time!
animal: too much! wrong kind!
fire: too much!
smh that you forgot "more pandemics from too much animal contact"

I'm "hand hygiene"

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Hey wait a drat minute

https://twitter.com/CDCgov/status/1753089614405947811

What's this about our next infection being worse??

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

NeonPunk posted:

Our defenses are evolving to be milder

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

still hearing PSAs on the radio about how you should be careful with leftover food since foodborne illness kills 3,000 a year

btw is there a source for 2,000+ covid deaths per week over the last four weeks that I can wave around if anyone questions it? Because it sure as poo poo ain't on the news.

BNO is still keeping track. If you add up the weekly deaths over the last 4 weeks it's over 10,000.
https://twitter.com/BNOFeed/status/1752036388105814341

Their case count is absurdly artificially low though, I lost the thread addressing it but I think it was something like at least a 30x undercount.

Shiroc posted:

lol

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

NeonPunk posted:

I love how they casually slide in things like this in between pictures of maskless parties.

Apr 7, 2003

BNO is still keeping track. If you add up the weekly deaths over the last 4 weeks it's over 10,000.
https://twitter.com/BNOFeed/status/1752036388105814341

Their case count is absurdly artificially low though, I lost the thread addressing it but I think it was something like at least a 30x undercount.

lol

lol nearly 2500 ICU admissions in a week with Covid and nobody gives a gently caress at all. we live in crazyworld

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

I've had cold symptoms for about a week. Seven days of negative RATs. Symptoms are winding down. I don't have any reason to believe I have covid specifically, other than it's wildly contagious and causes these symptoms, and RATs are unreliable.

At what point do I decide I'm in the clear? I'd also like to exercise a little. Would I be crazy to? I would like to be very cautious about risking long covid with exertion. I don't have a clear sense of what normal caution versus crazy paranoia looks like.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Steely Dad posted:

I've had cold symptoms for about a week. Seven days of negative RATs. Symptoms are winding down. I don't have any reason to believe I have covid specifically, other than it's wildly contagious and causes these symptoms, and RATs are unreliable.

At what point do I decide I'm in the clear? I'd also like to exercise a little. Would I be crazy to? I would like to be very cautious about risking long covid with exertion. I don't have a clear sense of what normal caution versus crazy paranoia looks like.

Do you have a blood pressure monitor? Have you felt your heart beating differently lately?

Try and do some low impact exercises first like yoga and check your vitals afterwards just in case it was a missed case of Covid.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

NeonPunk posted:

Do you have a blood pressure monitor? Have you felt your heart beating differently lately?

Try and do some low impact exercises first like yoga and check your vitals afterwards just in case it was a missed case of Covid.

Yes, and pressure has been up the last few days. It's back down to about 125/95 today, which is still high, but in line with my normal fatass high, not the "poo poo's gonna start seeping out your skin" high of the past week.

I usually get a bump in blood pressure when I get sick, though. My theory is that my congestion makes my apnea worse and my CPAP doesn't compensate as well. Just a guess, though, my health isn't valuable enough for me to have better access to someone who could figure it out for me.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

NeonPunk posted:

Hey remember that tweet I posted about finding a single sample of that thing with over 140 mutations?

They found more

https://twitter.com/Tuliodna/status/1752996491948327126

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Strep Vote posted:

My professor has had a sore throat and weird cough for weeks and keeps making stupid mistakes and falling behind schedule. Correlation ≠ causation and all but no matter what being sick sucks!!! I'm way too old to be out of commission for that long, Jesus.

Update: he couldn't smell our E. coli Petri dishes today. P sure he had COVID there for a bit, hopefully that's the only lingering symptom for him.

Not me though. I can't smell our home grown sewer farts mixed with sharpie fumes because of the mask, can't recommend it enough.