Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

serious gaylord posted:

Err yeah about that.

Theres no way they can get the console version released while all the bad blood is out there and the pc players are just giving up because they're not fixing the actual game, nor giving the city painters any tools to paint.

There wont be a player base for the dlcs at this rate.

I'm curious, do we know what no mans sky's player count was like after release?

They absolutely had to pull the same thing, just shut up and work. I wonder if they had it quite as bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

dogstile posted:

They absolutely had to pull the same thing, just shut up and work. I wonder if they had it quite as bad.

Oh no, No Man's Sky was much worse, it crated from a peak of 200000+ to 9000ish in like a month: https://steamcharts.com/app/275850

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

dogstile posted:

Sometime soon after NMS released, they went completely radio silent for like 3 months because they knew that no matter what they said, they'd get an avalanche of poo poo for it, so they just put their noses down and said nothing until they put the first big patch up.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Grand Fromage posted:

You might want to check to make sure your computer's working right my man. You're getting less than 10% of the performance I get on a 3060ti and regular 5800X.

Unless it just doesn't work on an AMD GPU I guess, I don't know if that's an issue.

My workstation is working really, really well. The fans on the GPU don't even have to spin up for most games.

It's just CS2 that was incredibly poo poo.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

dogstile posted:

NMS got wholly pulled from the playstation store at that point and IIRC Steam opened their refund window wider for the time. IDK about player numbers but from a PR perspective the NMS flop was a a lot more public. CS2 is a bit more niche genre and while it was an awful release it definitely didnt cause the "waves" NMS's lovely release did.

That being said NMS's redemption arc has been long and if you enjoy that kind of game it's pretty drat enjoyable now.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

lagidnam posted:

They need to pull a No Mans Sky, shut up and get to work. Come back when you have something to show that the players are waiting for.

Isn't that what this WotW is saying they're doing?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I thought the thing about No Mans Sky was less that it was an utterly broken mess, but more that the marketing hype made people think it was a game it fundamentally just wasnt at launch. What game there was actually worked it just wasnt as massive as people expected. No Mans Sky also had like 3 years of hype building up to the release date too.

Skylines is both broken and nothing what people expected it to be.

Also No Mans Sky was literally dead for 2 years before they got a big bump of players back. I dont think CO will get that long to fix it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I think if Paradox concludes they're unlikely to make healthy profits off the costs of making DLC for CS2, they'll pull the plug. This isn't a kickstarted labor of love, it's a corporate profit seeking endeavor.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

serious gaylord posted:

I thought the thing about No Mans Sky was less that it was an utterly broken mess, but more that the marketing hype made people think it was a game it fundamentally just wasnt at launch. What game there was actually worked it just wasnt as massive as people expected. No Mans Sky also had like 3 years of hype building up to the release date too.

That's correct, the main thing was some form of multiplayer was heavily implied in pre release interviews and did not exist in game. I got 20 hours out of base NMS which is about double what it too for me to uninstall CS2

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It wasn't just implied, they said two players could meet in game but that it was unlikely.

https://www.mandatory.com/culture/1018871-times-sean-murray-said-no-mans-sky-multiplayer

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
There was definitely that, but there were tons of technical issues too. What was actually there was jank as hell, and ran like absolute rear end on top-end machines for no apparent reason.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Right yeah the pc version had a bunch of performance issues. I played it on PS4 where it ran fine for the most part

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man
I'm somewhat enjoying the subtext that "poo poo poo poo poo poo we really need to get the Ultimate Edition DLC done and out or we are going to be scre-e-e-ee-e-wed!!!", or as Mariina put it:

quote:

You may remember the free updates associated with the DLC releases in Cities: Skylines and in the long term that is the goal with the sequel as well. It’s a good way to sneak in some cool features and improvements to all the players, beefing up the base game, and making certain features part of it while the paid content expands on those new features allowing us to continue developing the game forward. One of the first examples of this approach was After Dark where the free update added the day and night cycle to all players and the DLC itself had specific content and features for the nightlife.

So we are working to improve the quality of Cities: Skylines II, just like we did with the first game, and this includes both improvements to the base as well as creating new content as paid DLC.

The mods are gettin' busy in WotW #10 which is always a sign that things are going well.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

A modder (not just anyone, YenYang, props to them) made a mod that lets you create water features, lakes, rivers, streams, etc.

Pretty impressive stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9QZ0n60i9c&t=1s

edit: oh and remember those bugs with subsidies and poo poo in companies? another modder managed to fix those: https://thunderstore.io/c/cities-skylines-ii/p/Cities2Modding/CompanyProfitFix/

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 30, 2024

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

gently caress it open source the sim.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

I know they said they were only targeting 30fps, but getting 25fps on either a 3950X or 5800X3D, with 128GB ram, and a 7900XTX at just 1080p/high is just so sad. This drops to like 3 at 2880p. Once my $10 adapter arrives I will be able to try giving the 7900XTX 650W, maybe that will get me to 30...

Still played the poo poo out of it at launch, and it is really pretty when you find just the right angles to cover up all of the fucky artifacts that come and go... but I stubbed my toes enough times on various systems being completely hosed to lose my taste.

They still haven't even fixed the bug where paradox launcher makes the game count as still being open and running. I think they need that lie themselves, to power through whatever demons they've created for themselves.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Antigravitas posted:

I didn't get rough edges, I got a bed of broken glass. 4 fps on an RX6700 XT and 5800X3D with the GPU running at 100% and screaming its fans, something literally no other game does. And the simulation didn't even work!

I have this same card with just the base 5800X and it was running absolutely fine (avg 39.2fps per adrenaline). Might be something else causing bad performance.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

One of the things you have to do when you ship a game (and what can get skipped when paradox tells you gently caress it punt it out the door now) is do a massive broad install test over many configurations, setups, hardware, software, drivers, often with the same graphics cards in different places, because until you smooth it out it's almost inevitable that there'll be these little weird edge cases everywhere that snag on certain configurations which aren't simple "frame-drop-because-graphics-high". As well as just being generally badly optimised this game evidently had a lot of those cases.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Paracausal posted:

I have this same card with just the base 5800X and it was running absolutely fine (avg 39.2fps per adrenaline). Might be something else causing bad performance.

Nope, it's the game. Others run at a cool 120fps at 2560x1440. CS2 couldn't even hit that in the menu.

New Zealand can eat me posted:

They still haven't even fixed the bug where paradox launcher makes the game count as still being open and running. I think they need that lie themselves, to power through whatever demons they've created for themselves.

That's just how Steam works. Steam launches the executable specified for the game and as long as it or its children run it counts as the game running.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Hello everybody, one saving grace coming today, the long awaited patch. Will it save the game? Only time will tell:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/patch-notes-for-1-0-19f1-hotfix-steam-microsoft-store.1622775/

quote:

Gameplay
Fixed crash to desktop when selecting "moving in" household
Fixed crash to desktop when modifying road with pedestrian path connected in specific way
Fixed crash to desktop after modifying roads with citizen group at specific stat
Fixed velocity map not loaded properly when starting the game Paused
Fixed ResourceAvailabilitySystem causing some wrong data when loading the game
Fix for some industrial material taxes may randomly start charging money in the opposite way than it is set.
Fixed warehouses not levelling up
Fixed a potential error during saving process related to XP
Fixed an issue where building Extra Incinerator Furnace upgrade to Incinerator Plant would cause the Incinerator Plant to produce less electricity.
Fixed coverage of the City Services buildings exclusive for the pedestrians is not affecting part of the one-way roads
Fixed Maintenance vehicles getting stuck.
Fixed train & ship vehicle Selected Info Panel not labeled with correct destination name
Fixed building relocation incorrectly changing refund amount for bulldozing
Fixed objects with stacked parts (cranes, pillars) missing collision in some cases
More fixes for forgotten dogs
Fixed some photo/cinematic camera properties missing localization
Fixed One of Everything achievement requiring medieval castle
Fixed Wide Variety achievement
Statistics fixes & improvements:
Fixed bug in statistics panel whereby chart data was not updating properly when manipulating the time scale slider
Fixed bug where Water fees were shown incorrectly in Budget tab of Economy panel.
Fixed garbage and public transport fees not being recorded in statistics
Fixed age statistic not being displayed correctly.
Fixed District Selected Info Panel showing incorrect amount of residents
Fixed incorrect amounts being shown for taxation estimates in Economy Panel
Fixed bug whereby changing the timescale caused some data to display incorrectly
Fixed incorrect money amount in 1st sample
Fixed mismatched position of samples in chart
Fixed incorrect progress amount in under-construction section
Statistics panel menu items remember their expanded state based on selected stats upon re-opening the statistics panel.
Changed Income and (hidden) TaxableIncome statistic type from Point to Daily (shows the cumulative amount for the past day)
Hide Households in Selected Info Panel and Household sidebar until they move in.
Added an extra data point outside the visible range, and used it to interpolate the position of the first point in the chart, thus avoiding gaps and visual stutters (fixes half of the chart being used only)
Make datapoints clamp to chart area(avoid line extending outside chart)
Deleted Budget group since it is not needed, and moved Income and Expense groups directly in Finances category
Hid money statistic from panel when playing with Unlimited Money option
Reorganized statistics menu
Land value improvements
Land value will be affected by ground pollution. The ground pollution will first slowly reduce the land value increasing, and when the pollution gets worse it will start to decrease the land value.
Land value won't decrease to 0 even with heavily polluted land.
Land value will increase according to the industrial company's profitability value.
Improved parking space searching
Adjust the teens & children spawn rates to balance the lack of teens in education
Adjust the enter probability to allow more teens to enter high school
Cargo station pathfinding update to reduce traffic jams when accessing the buildings.
Forced no word wrap on tutorial page label to fix layout breaking in some tutorials on 2560x1440 resolution
Increased A Little Bit of TLC achievement increment step from 1 to 1000, and fixed achievement progress buffer only updating an achievement if the progress hits exactly a multiple of the increment step
Added more user-friendly message when account linking functions fail due to a network error
Added new translations (missing text, text fixes, translations).
Added support for overriding "switch user" action hint for platforms that do not support switching users (ie. Steam, Epic) with added support for Steam overlay

Performance
Added SchoolSeekerCooldown to avoid too many pathfinding queries when the city doesn't have enough schools
Improved shadow culling optimization
Faster and more stable simulation speed in very large cities
Minor optimization and leak fix for pathfinding
Optimization: Reordered some rendering-related systems to reduce waiting in the main thread
Optimization: Eliminated unnecessary main thread waiting in ModificationEndBarrier

Graphics
Added snow on impostors (trees)
Changed outline color and fill color of districts for better visibility.
Changed the color of Mailbox- and Bus Stop markers. Changed the bus stop, Busline and Routetool icon colors to correspond new marker colors. Adjusted the district area colors for better visibility in bright snow
Tweaked road/rail shadows to be less aggressive
Fixed bus shelter icon color and default bus line color to be consistent with other bus line icons
Fixed visibility distance calculation bug (Mostly affecting power cable shadows with certain camera angles)
Fixed the texture of the Nuclear Power Plant's concrete floor can extend beyond the building into a conical shape
Fixed terraforming, propping, and pedestrian access for multiple assets.
Fixed floating props on Technical University

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Patch Notes posted:

More fixes for forgotten dogs

The more I see about these dogs, the more I wonder why they are there in the first place.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

there should be more dogs waiting for the train imo

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Unbound posted:

The more I see about these dogs, the more I wonder why they are there in the first place.

cause they're cute, gotta have something cute in this game. if it wasn't for dogs and chirper, this game wouldn't have any flavour. as annoying as the two end up being, I think they're kinda necessary to make this game not so bare.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I spent a couple hours building a city in SC3K the other day. Then it crashed.

I didn't make any saves since I'm so used to games autosaving and generally being stable these days.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

VostokProgram posted:

I spent a couple hours building a city in SC3K the other day. Then it crashed.

I didn't make any saves since I'm so used to games autosaving and generally being stable these days.

hey if you're feeling nostalgic, play c:s2, it does the same thing!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Cities Skylines 2: more fixes for forgotten dogs

Breaking Glass
Dec 15, 2021

Welp, that completely fixed cargo and industry for me. I'm very happy with this patch so far.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Breaking Glass posted:

Welp, that completely fixed cargo and industry for me. I'm very happy with this patch so far.

Oh really? Now that is interesting news... Might have to give it a quick try and see how it goes, as that was one of my bigger complaints.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Antigravitas posted:

That's just how Steam works. Steam launches the executable specified for the game and as long as it or its children run it counts as the game running.

Yes and when it's handled correctly, the children should close when I quit the game (so many other games do this right)

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
My cargo train terminal is actually exporting goods so the patch seemed to have fixed something there. Now why is my budget still completely broken?

Electronics and Beverages export for exactly 128,849,018 each. Seems a bit excessive.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

My 5 industrial buildings surrounded by forest export $13 million in timber. But it was like that before the patch too.

Breaking Glass
Dec 15, 2021

Industrial math is still totally broken, though it doesn't do the weird negative / positive rollover anymore, where taxes would behave opposite for some industries.

I have to keep the taxes set to 0%, which is a joke. I make all my money squeezing software and finance companies out of spite, and give the rest back in subsidies to residential.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

One of the big C:S youtubers posted a video today, you can get the gist of what it's about from the title:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKgnvMBNKS0

Only 8 days ago, she did a collaboration with the official C:S youtube channel for a video called "North American Style Commercial Districts | Inspirational Builds | Cities: Skylines II", so it's kinda funny that she's tapping out after that obligation is done.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Assuming other people have contracts of similar lengths/requirements I wonder who else we'll see dip out soon

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I know it's been this way for ages, but the total lack of shame is really something. I feel sad that let's players I enjoy are literal corpo shills contractually on the books and proud of it

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Strategic Tea posted:

I know it's been this way for ages, but the total lack of shame is really something. I feel sad that let's players I enjoy are literal corpo shills contractually on the books and proud of it

I think the comments in that video about the early access people being given assurances the bugs would be sorted etc is true tbf. They're not the only streamer to have said that so I will cut them some slack for not speaking about how god loving awful the problems were in their early release videos.

Not doing it now though is just greed.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

serious gaylord posted:

I think the comments in that video about the early access people being given assurances the bugs would be sorted etc is true tbf. They're not the only streamer to have said that so I will cut them some slack for not speaking about how god loving awful the problems were in their early release videos.

Not doing it now though is just greed.

I always thought it was dumb how much people blamed the pre-release streamers/youtubers for the games problem. Like what are they going to do, make a video saying "this pre-release build of the game sucks rear end its going to be a failure"? They gave feedback to CO, figured they'd fix things and turn it around for release, and then they didn't. Look how lovely CO's communication with the community is now, they won't even say when a patch is dropping until it drops. I can't imagine them being more honest with the playtesters.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Strategic Tea posted:

I do wonder if producers sit back and wait for domestic gaming computers to become common like the ones they work on so they never need to address things running like poo poo properly. Like they can drop a game that doesn't work properly because you cant squeeze it all into the generation you promised, hold your breath and just dump everything into a patch in a year or two and not worry.

I'm not saying the bugs are all hardware dependant or anything, but I am bitter that when say, cyberpunk had a dlc, it got forgiven and was treated like a darling and all sins forgotten after it essentially released a new version of the game that now kind of works.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

piratepilates posted:

I always thought it was dumb how much people blamed the pre-release streamers/youtubers for the games problem. Like what are they going to do, make a video saying "this pre-release build of the game sucks rear end its going to be a failure"? They gave feedback to CO, figured they'd fix things and turn it around for release, and then they didn't. Look how lovely CO's communication with the community is now, they won't even say when a patch is dropping until it drops. I can't imagine them being more honest with the playtesters.

Honestly, I disagree. Have a bit of loving integrity and if something sucks, tell people it sucks. Ordinary gamers don't have access to pre-release builds so basically can only make judgments on a game's potential worth based on a) what the dev's marketing says; and b) what content creators with pre-release access show them.

piratepilates posted:

Like what are they going to do, make a video saying "this pre-release build of the game sucks rear end its going to be a failure"?

Again, for emphasis, yes, that's exactly what they should do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man
I mean, to add insult to injury, even Paradox are giving refunds now:

https://www.pcgamer.com/sims-competitor-life-by-you-delayed-to-june-to-refine-gameplay-and-add-more-life-to-character-faces/

quote:

Paradox says that all players who have pre-ordered Life By You will be refunded and can find more information on the Life By You FAQ page. With the delay, players can add the game to their wishlist on the Epic Store and Steam but there will be no preorder options available. "We deeply apologize to those of you who have pre-ordered, whether it be once or twice," Paradox says. "While we've sincerely appreciated your support, we are not going to ask you to do so a third time."

This feels like CO are just taking the piss (and my money, obviously).