Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

err posted:

in the seattle subreddit:

i know prices are high but I would really need to see a receipt for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

actionjackson posted:

i know prices are high but I would really need to see a receipt for that

Airport maybe? Even then yeah

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
There's a double vodka shot out of frame.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Airport maybe? Even then yeah

sounds like it's some coffee shop, that's a chai + tax + 15% tip

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Oh, well okay then.

https://twitter.com/FirstSquawk/status/1753187060129677479?t=78P-nTARnaxOt-O9d9-4xQ&s=19

Morbus
May 18, 2004

the CHUMPS act

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Lmao

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Tune in sunday
https://twitter.com/60Minutes/status/1753191499548828139?t=t7ifYJeCHc-No5Bwyf9sHw&s=19

The UK is planning on testing a nuclear Ballistic Missile for some reason.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
the world needs more computers and more internet.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Needing to reshore American manufacturing because of national security risks but requiring a profit to be made.

That's capitalism.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

It is really funny that they thought the country with almost 1.5 billion people would lose the chip industry if America took their ball and spent years going home.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

oh well, stock buyback time.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Nothus posted:

That the US banking sector apparently can't exist without ZIRP is very funny. No wonder the financial rags are acting like jonesing addicts.

I worked for a bank so I can tell you they were lined up at the pig trough using all that zirp money on stock buybacks

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Greatest economy in the world!

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

remember when all the huge car companies couldn't get enough chips for years? now there's not enough demand lol

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

They're delaying the factory another year as if 2027's market will be any better than 2026's.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

seems directly correlated with JPow not turning down the rate knob

or a capital strike if you will

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

err posted:

'and I bought it anyway'

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Jokes on them either China is going to be outproducing them by then or they'll not even have access to the Chinese, Russian and probably other markets due to sanctions/counter sanctions and China will STILL be outproducing them.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

err posted:

Jesus that’s dire

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

BULBASAUR posted:

'and I bought it anyway'

Yeah that's the funny thing because there's plenty of places in downtown Seattle you can get a sandwich for less than $20. Pane Pane for example will give you a 12" breakfast sandwich for half that

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
lmao that person willingly gott ripped off at some tourist trap

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Lacrosse posted:

Yeah that's the funny thing because there's plenty of places in downtown Seattle you can get a sandwich for less than $20. Pane Pane for example will give you a 12" breakfast sandwich for half that

Market House Meats is probably one of the best sandwiches in the city and it'll cost you five bux less for an entire lunch

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

They’re doing layoffs supposedly too or it’s a rumor

Anyway, gently caress Ohio. Worst place you could put a chip factory and try and find good talent. You’re just gonna get the best of the Midwest (which is garbage).

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

nobody wants to work anymore. they just lie and make hot chips

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Paying companies to provide something they have absolutely no intention on ever providing is a time honored American tradition.

Lots of CCP bots in this thread. This is just what peak performance looks like. This is a capitalist country, we don't produce baby formula chips.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Scarabrae posted:

seems directly correlated with JPow not turning down the rate knob

or a capital strike if you will

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
whatever happened to that guy saying all this onshoring is DEFINITELY* happening and profitable and it’s just a matter of time before domestic production skyrockets?

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
Medium dirty chai (8oz) + sausage breakfast sandwich + tax + 15% tips

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

actionjackson posted:

sounds like it's some coffee shop, that's a chai + tax + 15% tip

Also probably delivered via GrubHub or some poo poo with delivery fees and tips

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

skooma512 posted:

Paying companies to provide something they have absolutely no intention on ever providing is a time honored American tradition.

my favorite one of these is the telecoms and fiber. we paid them to do it, they didn't, we kept paying, they kept didn'ting. at no point has the government actually asked "hey how about all that fiber we paid you to lay" or threatened to not keep stuffing money into them like homer and the donut machine

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Seeing more and more assumable mortgage listings lately

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/3257-Beacon-Hill-Ave_Pittsburgh_PA_15216_M47221-04147?from=srp-list-card

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
shared the sandwich poic with my old Amazon buddy and he immediately identified it as an "alki bakery breakfast sandwich"

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

skooma512 posted:

Lots of CCP bots in this thread. This is just what peak performance looks like. This is a capitalist country, we don't produce baby formula chips.

Or antibiotics and other essential medications

https://www.iqvia.com/insights/the-iqvia-institute/reports-and-publications/reports/drug-shortages-in-the-us-2023

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Willa Rogers posted:

whether underground

Homeless found living in furnished caves in California highlight ongoing state crisis

quote:

The Modesto Police Department, the Tuolumne River Trust, and Operation 9-2-99, a volunteer river clean-up organization, worked together to clean up approximately 7,600 pounds of trash from the caves and the surrounding areas, according to local outlet CBS13.
This mewling newspeak is so loving infuriating. It's not trash you inhuman bloodthirsty psychopaths, it's their loving possessions that they're gleefully destroying.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Maed posted:

remember when all the huge car companies couldn't get enough chips for years? now there's not enough demand lol

The semiconductor market always swings from oversupply to undersupply, for a lot of reasons (such as capitalism) but mostly related to fabs being insanely expensive with enormous lead times.

Also the auto chip shortage was a particular kind of stupid, where the problem was mainly that auto makers insisted that factories churn out chips at whatever ancient process node they were designed for. Factory capacity for older nodes had been steadily decreasing (converted to more advanced, more profitable processes), and the auto industry badly forecasted the demand rebound that would occur after Open Er Up. So when there was a demand shock, and they needed a shitzillion chips from orders they already cancelled, and didn't want to consider moving said chips to contemporary process nodes, the response from fabs was lol & lmao

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Morbus posted:

The semiconductor market always swings from oversupply to undersupply, for a lot of reasons (such as capitalism) but mostly related to fabs being insanely expensive with enormous lead times.

Also the auto chip shortage was a particular kind of stupid, where the problem was mainly that auto makers insisted that factories churn out chips at whatever ancient process node they were designed for. Factory capacity for older nodes had been steadily decreasing (converted to more advanced, more profitable processes), and the auto industry badly forecasted the demand rebound that would occur after Open Er Up. So when there was a demand shock, and they needed a shitzillion chips from orders they already cancelled, and didn't want to consider moving said chips to contemporary process nodes, the response from fabs was lol & lmao

also wasn't canceling orders a rather severe overreaction to the initial media speculation hyping up imaginary "literally shutdown all of society" lockdowns that never got past the discussion phase?

edit: as in lawmakers were just spitballing ideas on the level of "do we even have the authority to do this? gently caress we've never seen a bill that wasn't written by lobbyists, how does legislation even work???"

silentsnack has issued a correction as of 01:50 on Feb 2, 2024

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

skooma512 posted:

I got my government job because it was healthcare and I happened to need a job in March 2020, people were shocked how fast me and my cohort got in.

Now I have to leave it with a year to go to vest in the pension because my wife wants to move to get a better opportunity for her job. Funemployment till 2025 here I loving come!

this is a great idea you should definitely throw away your pension and instead buy lottery tickets on the private market

Morbus
May 18, 2004

silentsnack posted:

also wasn't canceling orders a rather severe overreaction to the initial media speculation hyping up imaginary "literally shutdown all of society" lockdowns that never got past the discussion phase?

edit: as in lawmakers were just spitballing ideas on the level of "do we even have the authority to do this? gently caress we've never seen a bill that wasn't written by lobbyists, how does legislation even work???"

It was kind of an overreaction, but it was also out of self-preservation because for a good while, there was just a lot less driving and a lot fewer auto purchases. With all the uncertainty, better maybe better to build cash instead of inventory, idk im not a car company lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbus
May 18, 2004

skooma512 posted:

I got my government job because it was healthcare and I happened to need a job in March 2020, people were shocked how fast me and my cohort got in.

Now I have to leave it with a year to go to vest in the pension because my wife wants to move to get a better opportunity for her job. Funemployment till 2025 here I loving come!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_3q4itaVBQ