Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inaction Jackson
Feb 28, 2009

Captain_Person posted:

I would kill to see the intrepid heroes playing Blades in the Dark. Imagine the shenanigans Emily could get up to with flashbacks!
I was going to post literally this exact same thought.

I have watched through some of Haunted City and it was pretty fun, but I would enjoy it much more with the production values and comedic leanings of D20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Froghammer posted:

I watched the Adventuring Party and yeah, you're right, Porter's being a bad teacher

I got the impression that... Gorgug's found his own way of barbarianing that isn't as anger-focused and that's working out just fine for his particular personality, but despite the numbers all working out Porter thinks it isn't the right way, because you should be doing it normally. So he doesn't even entertain the idea of allowing a multiclass because he thinks Gorgug is a bad barbarian. Even though he's not. (And then you stack onto that that Artificer isn't a proper barbarian multiclass and it goes right out the window)

That kind of story is D20's bread and butter, to be honest.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

pseudosavior posted:

I wouldn't mind seeing the kind of bonkers combos the Intrepid Heroes could get up to in Lancer, tbh.

id like to see a level 20 high school reunion dark future season where they all narratively made extremely ill-advised multiclasses and had to live with them

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Megazver posted:

Glass Cannon's Haunted City is what John Harper considers the best BitD AP, apparently, and it has Ross Bryant as one of the players. (I really should get around to watching some of it.)

The other two, Abubakar Salim and Josephine McAdam are no slouches either. Abu in particular has a level of chaos in his play that rivals Emily.

It would be fun to see D20 with Mork Borg or something similar. And an OSR clone with each player having like 10 backup characters ready to go could be fun as hell done right.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I want to see a D20 one-shot funnel adventure. Six adventurers at a time, ifwhen you die you leave the table and another actor takes your place. Give the entire D20 cast a chance to be in the same game and ifwhen you need even more people than that you just have people come back in different costumes.

I want to see what kind of halfassed costume changes Grant comes up with. By the end of the session he'll be on his fourth character and his entire costume change will be a bowler hat, fake moustache, and he's changed his t-shirt from "I ❤︎ The Crew" to one that reads "I Heart The Crew".

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
id like to see a d20 season that uses gurps and leans into the sim elements

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Captain_Person posted:

I would kill to see the intrepid heroes playing Blades in the Dark. Imagine the shenanigans Emily could get up to with flashbacks!

one time in NADDPOD they used flashbacks, and Murph and Emily used them to find some shithead beetles to kill instead of the cool beetles, and summon a great OB/GYN to coach a pregnant unicorn through the birthing process, respectively. so I’m in favor of it

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

id like to see D20 do a season outside in the woods

dome? no. tent.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

CatstropheWaitress posted:

dome? no. tent.

A LARP where Sam hunts them with actual guns.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Megazver posted:

The most sinister "I've been here the whole time" yet.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Captain_Person posted:

If you haven't watched it yet - Worlds Beyond Number did a two part barn animal heist game that Erika Ishii ran that was primarily using the Roll For Shoes system, but added the "spend experience for a flashback" system that Blades uses. It's absolutely as insane as it sounds and worked phenomenally well.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKLAQeES5doHDGbHkm9TQEpOLi6DRaJHY&si=bGLr1kJGlsmb1cwQ

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Megazver posted:

If Katie's involved she'd kill slaughter him two minutes in.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

A severe understatement. I've seen tabletop games that go into Looney Tunes territory before, but this is the first time I've seen one go full Ren & Stimpy

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

DeathSandwich posted:

If you haven't watched it yet - Worlds Beyond Number did a two part barn animal heist game that Erika Ishii ran that was primarily using the Roll For Shoes system, but added the "spend experience for a flashback" system that Blades uses. It's absolutely as insane as it sounds and worked phenomenally well.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKLAQeES5doHDGbHkm9TQEpOLi6DRaJHY&si=bGLr1kJGlsmb1cwQ

"No loose ends"

The team absolutely steamrolled over Erika and I could not stopping laughing. Pro click.

They should make Grant make a character in FATAL.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Captain_Person posted:

"No loose ends"

"buk-buk-buGLOCK!"

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
"You're the meat, mama." Ally is a one-liner machine.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Junior Year ep4 random thoughts...

- For some reason, I got a bad vibe from the artificer teacher. He appeared chill and willing to work with Gorgug, but suggesting a 400% course load is insane.

- The power grinders are a fun concept, but I think they're a red herring.

- This season is going to give me a ulcer from second hand stress...

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Brennan is letting his d&d nerd flag fly in the best way: The rat grinders, dropping a modron and thri-keen, a jump build barbarian

:kiss:

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Xand_Man posted:

Brennan is letting his d&d nerd flag fly in the best way: The rat grinders, dropping a modron and thri-keen, a jump build barbarian

:kiss:

that whole KVX bank rebranding bit ending with "smote their ruin on the skyscraper" loll

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.
Who's the bitch on her lap?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Watching "A StarStruck Odyssey" episode 4, and it's pretty "funny" how a party with three 20's and a 19 in Intelligence is probably one of the dumbest bunch of chucklefucks ever seen. I now understand why the skipper seemed like such a dick in episode 1.

Ex: "[When you leap into open air to get away,] are you going just to the next level down, or -"
"I'm going straight for the ship."
No questions were asked ahead of time about "how far down is that," just straight up going for it.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 2, 2024

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Bobulus posted:

- The power grinders are a fun concept, but I think they're a red herring.

As I think Siobhan even mentioned in ep. 4, the Rat Grinders who've been introduced so far are way too specifically built to be the Bad Kids' Injustice League (or if you prefer, the Linear Guild). It'd be too big a narrative coincidence if they weren't at least secondary antagonists for the season.

* a halfling rogue who's willing to take every shortcut available to her
* a gnome bard who's Fantasy Ed Sheeran but actually attends classes
* a cleric of Helio who apparently really impresses Kristen's parents
* a kobold barbarian who's basically a mountain with feet and has no other utility or personality to speak of

I'd imagine there are two other members who are equivalently opposite Fabian and Adaine. I'd imagine the one's a poor but streetwise fighter with a healthy romantic relationship and the other's a rich sorcerer who's faking her way through wizard classes.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Wanderer posted:

As I think Siobhan even mentioned in ep. 4, the Rat Grinders who've been introduced so far are way too specifically built to be the Bad Kids' Injustice League (or if you prefer, the Linear Guild). It'd be too big a narrative coincidence if they weren't at least secondary antagonists for the season.

* a kobold barbarian who's basically a mountain with feet and has no other utility or personality to speak of

I'd imagine there are two other members who are equivalently opposite Fabian and Adaine. I'd imagine the one's a poor but streetwise fighter with a healthy romantic relationship and the other's a rich sorcerer who's faking her way through wizard classes.

I hope they're all level 20 too.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Wanderer posted:

they could still just be a source of friction at school. i mean that group has spent two years grinding and literally never been in a real fight so we'll see what the end game is beyond just be a pain in the rear end at school. its going to be hilarious tho if they get in a real fight and immediately panic

I do think its unbelievable they'd be that consistent with training even after the gnome bard blew up. like there's no way they can keep 6 people on that hyper rigorous schedule through all of high school.

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 2, 2024

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Relentlessboredomm posted:

they could still just be a source of friction at school. i mean that group has spent two years grinding and literally never been in a real fight so we'll see what the end game is beyond just be a pain in the rear end at school. its going to be hilarious tho if they get in a real fight and immediately panic

That's part of what makes them frustrating, which also plays into one of the old ludonarrative dissonances about D&D. As was said during the episode, it's as if the Grinders are on the EXP rules while the Bad Kids use milestone advancement.

Every single one of the Bad Kids has been through multiple traumatic experiences, several of them have died, and they spent their entire summer break on a single quest to save the world. Meanwhile, the Grinders have simply been pummeling the same monsters over and over again for 3 years. Both the Kids and Grinders are juniors, which means they're about the same level, but the Grinders have confined all their "adventuring" to a single boring 3-hour daily excursion. It means no drama, no loss, and for years, likely no genuine threats, which means they've got no trouble with their work-life balance.

There are a couple of old Adventuring Academy episodes where Mulligan talks about the inherent strangeness of D&D's EXP model, where apparently the express train to power is raw murder. It's almost explicitly what he's satirizing here. I'm reminded of the old joke about how, rules-as-written, anything you kill in earlier editions of D&D is worth at least 1 XP, so in theory you could power-level by going out and pouring boiling water on an anthill.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

lemonadesweetheart posted:

I hope they're all level 20 too.

80,000 rats was thrown out at some point, napkin math is 80,000 x 10 experience is 800,000. Divided six ways that's 130,000 xp which puts them at level 13.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wanderer posted:

L I'd imagine the one's a poor but streetwise fighter with a healthy romantic relationship

<DING> Nemesis Alert!

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I am watching Very Important People for the first time and as much as I normally have a desperate anxiety over awkward interview humour, this is pretty solid. Vic's character is a funny high-strung and Princess Emily finds her stride.

Asking if the host can perform the splits, getting an affirmative, then dropping into them yourself and waiting for them to follow is such a power move.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Wanderer posted:

To add to this, someone in the comments of this video, that with the right build and the kobold being level 10, he's hitting 35 from 18 with a whopping +17 to the roll.

The bad guy of the season being rules-as-written XP Systems and literal Rules Lawyers is a wonderful narrative twist. (I'm assuming that's the bad guy, there's a lot of bad poo poo happening. Maybe we'll get strudel demons from the strudel dimension)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I expect there'll be a more overarching villain that thematically ties into those complaints.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

CatstropheWaitress posted:

dome? no. tent.

Steal the Bake-Off tent and get some British comedians in there. Bill Bailey would rule on D20.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

I think the interim principal might be the BBEG, since it's extremely powerful and literally follows Rules As Written

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Join us next week on Fantasy High: Junior year, we're gonna burn down Fabian's house!

Lou: NOOOoooooooooo

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Pleads posted:

I am watching Very Important People for the first time and as much as I normally have a desperate anxiety over awkward interview humour, this is pretty solid. Vic's character is a funny high-strung and Princess Emily finds her stride.

Asking if the host can perform the splits, getting an affirmative, then dropping into them yourself and waiting for them to follow is such a power move.

if you have anxiety about awkward interviews, just wait until you get to the Vic’s Ex Step-Grandma episode, which is deeply off the rails (or just skip it if it’s gonna shake you because it goes places)

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Bard Maddox posted:

if you have anxiety about awkward interviews, just wait until you get to the Vic’s Ex Step-Grandma episode, which is deeply off the rails (or just skip it if it’s gonna shake you because it goes places)

Mob posted:

canISMOKEINheahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh??

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Sestze posted:

To add to this, someone in the comments of this video, that with the right build and the kobold being level 10, he's hitting 35 from 18 with a whopping +17 to the roll.

The bad guy of the season being rules-as-written XP Systems and literal Rules Lawyers is a wonderful narrative twist. (I'm assuming that's the bad guy, there's a lot of bad poo poo happening. Maybe we'll get strudel demons from the strudel dimension)

It would make sense if she had a bunch of potions of storm giant strength on her. It'd be the least difficult way to hit numbers like that, and each potion lasts for an hour.

That would really fit with the seeming ethos of the Rat Grinders. They'd probably define it as "smarter, not harder," whereas anybody else would call it an appalling shortcut. You know what'll ensure you get onto your high school football team? Show up so juiced that you could bench-press the team bus.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I don't think the Rat Grinders are going to be the main villains.

Maybe antagonists or annoying for the heroes for a bit, but like none of them seem evil. And Brennan while he's not a big fan of EXP, has stated multiple times he doesn't hate powergaming.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Dexo posted:

I don't think the Rat Grinders are going to be the main villains.

Maybe antagonists or annoying for the heroes for a bit, but like none of them seem evil. And Brennan while he's not a big fan of EXP, has stated multiple times he doesn't hate powergaming.
The Rat Grinders also plays into one of the themes they were getting at in junior year that they talk about a bit in the adventuring party segments. The disparate builds, multiclassing, trauma and indecision that comes with maintaining these characters over several seasons mirror what a lot of kids experience when they go through high school. There's this moment where the kids that were just being kids and loving around got a rude wakeup call when they see certain students with laser focus that know exactly what they want to be, how to achieve it with 100% efficiency, and do it seemingly without any problems and realize that that is their competition for college.

It's incredibly clever that it's mixing a disdain for a particular gaming style with the natural resentment that a high school student might feel about being forced to compete with those personalities.

So you're right, probably not outright villains.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Bard Maddox posted:

Yeah I basically hard-stopped that episode the moment the interview began, and don't plan to go back. From her appearance on Make Some Noise, Lisa Gilroy is an immense improv talent, but she goes extremely hard on antagonistic monkey cheese humour and it that just ain't my vibe.

Catching up on Breaking News has been great though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Very antagonistic, but I don't know that I'd call her performance that episode monkeycheese humour.