Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

ohhyeah posted:

Wife bought me a pack of the Magic / Forgotten Realms crossover as a lark and now I want to open some more Magic cards…

no dont...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I was curious about Grand Archive. Did you just get precon decks? Are there people playing nearby?

I'm in SoCal (LA area) and it seems only a few stores actively hold events, but there's been a push by the local community to host multiple Learn to Play events to get people engaged. They just released their 2nd (3rd) set like two weeks ago so it was a good time to do it I guess. They just launched their Omnidex last week (the veterancy/ranking tracker like DCI/planeswalker points)

I bought the precons to participate in a starter deck tournament that was a lot of fun. Once I get my personal deck brewed I was gonna go visit some weekly locals.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

ohhyeah posted:

Wife bought me a pack of the Magic / Forgotten Realms crossover as a lark and now I want to open some more Magic cards…

Just sobbing and yelling, "You did this to me! You did this to me!" at her, when she finds you in a pile of cards and booster wrappers.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

drrockso20 posted:

Exactly, heck toy engineering has probably reached the point where doing the "cube unfolds into the dungeon tiles" gimmick would be achievable without the fragility of the original attempt(but yeah using regular dice for the actual rolling), though in prior brainstorming I've done regarding a new version one thought is to mitigate the "bad die rolls resulting in multiple turns of being unable to do anything at all in a row" factor would be to have players generate some of the tokens for doing actions automatically that way even with bad rolls you would be able to do at least one or two basic things every turn(or even multiple things if you saved them up over multiple turns)
This is a solved problem: You don't roll to see if you can do something, you roll to see what you can do. The trick is whether you roll something optimally useful for what you're doing right now or something that's not the best thing to have rolled right now but you can still make the best of it.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
has anyone done a fatal and friends about the yu-gi-oh dice game? is it an rpg? is this worth looking into?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Ominous Jazz posted:

has anyone done a fatal and friends about the yu-gi-oh dice game? is it an rpg? is this worth looking into?

It's a board game, not an RPG. They didn't do much with it and as such there's not much to look into, though there is a GBA game you can try if you really want to.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

You could make some hay comparing and contrasting the different versions, as I've heard the JP and EN versions of dice monsters have some differences in mechanics and the GBA version is different from those.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Ominous Jazz posted:

Honestly now I kind of want to see someone do a F&F of the manga treating the games in it(including the manga version of Duel Monsters) as real games, could be comedy gold

Splicer posted:

This is a solved problem: You don't roll to see if you can do something, you roll to see what you can do. The trick is whether you roll something optimally useful for what you're doing right now or something that's not the best thing to have rolled right now but you can still make the best of it.

Well you aren't wrong but that was how Dungeon Dice Monsters worked, you had to roll the dice and hope you got the right results if you wanted to summon a monster or get the tokens needed to do basically any other action in the game

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Kwyndig posted:

You could make some hay comparing and contrasting the different versions, as I've heard the JP and EN versions of dice monsters have some differences in mechanics and the GBA version is different from those.

Yup

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016

disposablewords posted:

Just sobbing and yelling, "You did this to me! You did this to me!" at her, when she finds you in a pile of cards and booster wrappers.

I got a sick holographic alternate art Clattering Skeletons and a Fifty Feet of Rope. Think it’s time to venture into the dungeon once more

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Do we have a thread for Strike!? More directly, has anyone got experience running it with a VTT? I want to be able to run it in Foundry but nobody has made a system for it yet. Jimbozig make Foundry support happen for 2e pls tia

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Here you go

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i ran a few sessions of Strike! in roll20 but i don't think we had any automation to speak of. there may have been a character sheet template for it there?

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
I wrote a character builder a long while back that can create Roll20 macros: https://hyphz.github.io/StrikeGen

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Have you heard of Turnip28?

Here is a narrative battlereport by Bruva Alfabusa. Weird but well done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR9-8G_uf4s

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Cool Dad posted:

Do we have a thread for Strike!? More directly, has anyone got experience running it with a VTT? I want to be able to run it in Foundry but nobody has made a system for it yet. Jimbozig make Foundry support happen for 2e pls tia

Go post in the Strike thread, and I can send countblanc your way. He's the guy to ask about that sort of thing. I'm still using Roll20 out of inertia.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly now I kind of want to see someone do a F&F of the manga treating the games in it(including the manga version of Duel Monsters) as real games, could be comedy gold

Well you aren't wrong but that was how Dungeon Dice Monsters worked, you had to roll the dice and hope you got the right results if you wanted to summon a monster or get the tokens needed to do basically any other action in the game
But was the issue:

"The ideal move here would be to X... argh, I didn't get the right roll so now I need to choose the most optimal alternative(s) from a list of less than ideal but still very good options"
Or
"The ideal move here would be to X... argh, I didn't get the right roll so now I need to choose the least suboptimal alternative(s) from a list of bad options"
Or
Not being able to summon monsters is like being mana screwed in magic - assuming a well constructed pool you will have a number of options per turn but it's possible to consistently fail to roll/draw the absolutely core game foundations
Or
"Well poo poo I can't do anything with this roll, your turn"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

disposablewords posted:

I've said it before but I want a legacy living card game where you basically play a series of draft games using "boosters" from a fixed set.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Splicer posted:

But was the issue:

"The ideal move here would be to X... argh, I didn't get the right roll so now I need to choose the most optimal alternative(s) from a list of less than ideal but still very good options"
Or
"The ideal move here would be to X... argh, I didn't get the right roll so now I need to choose the least suboptimal alternative(s) from a list of bad options"
Or
Not being able to summon monsters is like being mana screwed in magic - assuming a well constructed pool you will have a number of options per turn but it's possible to consistently fail to roll/draw the absolutely core game foundations
Or

From my understanding of Dungeon Dice Monsters, it's the third one. If you don't get the rolls to actually put monsters out, none of the other crests actually do anything.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Agent Rush posted:

From my understanding of Dungeon Dice Monsters, it's the third one. If you don't get the rolls to actually put monsters out, none of the other crests actually do anything.

Worse, the high powered monsters had fewer crests in general, making them worse than useless, because if you summoned your lesser monsters you were left rolling "high value" monsters that didn't actually let you do much of anything, but if you waited to luck into summoning the big stuff, you just lost.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Splicer posted:

But was the issue:

Or
Or
Or

Number 3, also since each monster summon includes a hexomino* tile(since at least in the manga/anime it's supposed to be the die unfolding to reveal the monster inside) of a predetermined pattern(the 11 types of hexomino that can be a polyhedral net for a cube**) there also has to be room on the board for it to fit

*6 squares compared to the 4 squares of a Tetromino(that most people probably know as the pieces from Tetris)

*though for a hypothetical spiritual successor I'd probably allow all 35 "free" Hexomino patterns to be used since we wouldn't be tied so heavily to the "must unfold from a cube" thing and it would allow more diversity

Splicer posted:

I've said it before but I want a legacy living card game where you basically play a series of draft games using "boosters" from a fixed set.

Reminds me a little of my idea for a tournament format(originally thought up for Yugioh but would probably work for most TCG's) where each entrant is randomly given a deck from a pool of preconstructed decks(so say player A gets a dinosaur deck and player B gets a zombie deck and so on) and each round they get an additional pack of cards to allow for some customization

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Helical Nightmares posted:

Have you heard of Turnip28?

Here is a narrative battlereport by Bruva Alfabusa. Weird but well done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR9-8G_uf4s

I came across Turnip28 somewhat recently. This setting is weird. I've been trying to think of an analog for the setting's approach to comedy but come up short. Seems rad, though.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Agent Rush posted:

Ah I see, that's... also a solved problem.

drrockso20 posted:

Number 3, also since each monster summon includes a hexomino* tile(since at least in the manga/anime it's supposed to be the die unfolding to reveal the monster inside) of a predetermined pattern(the 11 types of hexomino that can be a polyhedral net for a cube**) there also has to be room on the board for it to fit

*6 squares compared to the 4 squares of a Tetromino(that most people probably know as the pieces from Tetris)

*though for a hypothetical spiritual successor I'd probably allow all 35 "free" Hexomino patterns to be used since we wouldn't be tied so heavily to the "must unfold from a cube" thing and it would allow more diversity
Mmhmm yes I followed all of this and I'm definitely not twice as confused as I was before.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

drrockso20 posted:

Reminds me a little of my idea for a tournament format(originally thought up for Yugioh but would probably work for most TCG's) where each entrant is randomly given a deck from a pool of preconstructed decks(so say player A gets a dinosaur deck and player B gets a zombie deck and so on) and each round they get an additional pack of cards to allow for some customization
I'm thinking more like, take a ~160 card LCG with full sets (and duplicates as required) of all the cards, but when you open it up there's three identical ~12 card base decks and all the other cards are in 24 thin little boxes of 5. You play the base decks to get a feel for things, then the two or three of you do a couple of rounds of "drafting" with four or six of the sealed boxes. Now you have all have ~22 cards to build a deck for the game. Each time you play you either run another draft or you do standard pre-constructed play with "your" existing cards, including swaps and such. When you run through all the boxes you either shuffle the cards back into them (with a dab of tape to keep everyone honest), keep it as-is, or pick up an expansion of 12 more little boxes full of a complete set of new cards.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 4, 2024

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Splicer posted:

Ah I see, that's... also a solved problem.

Mmhmm yes I followed all of this and I'm definitely not twice as confused as I was before.

Basically each monster when summoned brings with it a six square tile in a predetermined pattern and the board has limited space and tiles can't overlap each other so it's possible to not be able to summon a monster because there's no room left for its accompanying tiles to spawn in as well

I just kind of overly complicated things in my prior post by bringing up a bunch of additional stuff regarding the polyominos the game uses because I find that stuff to be one of the more interesting aspects of the game's concept(the whole intersection between how each monster you have not only affects your dice pool but also each one creates and modifies the board as its played)

Splicer posted:

I'm thinking more like, take a ~160 card LCG with full sets (and duplicates as required) of all the cards, but when you open it up there's three identical ~12 card base decks and all the other cards are in 24 thin little boxes of 5. You play the base decks to get a feel for things, then the two or three of you do a couple of rounds of "drafting" with four or six of the sealed boxes. Now you have all have ~22 cards to build a deck for the game. Each time you play you either run another draft or you do standard pre-constructed play with "your" existing cards, including swaps and such. When you run through all the boxes you either shuffle the cards back into them (with a dab of tape to keep everyone honest), keep it as-is, or pick up an expansion of 12 more little boxes full of a complete set of new cards.

Your idea would probably work better for a new game built from the ground up to work with it while mine is built around the expectations of an already existing game that has been around for a while

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

drrockso20 posted:

Basically each monster when summoned brings with it a six square tile in a predetermined pattern and the board has limited space and tiles can't overlap each other so it's possible to not be able to summon a monster because there's no room left for its accompanying tiles to spawn in as well

I should note that's only in the Japanese version (and almost every monster's shape was a cross). The English version supplied a set of 10 tiles (5 pairs) that you picked from when you summoned a monster, so you likely could find a shape that worked. The downside with that is you had to share the tiles between both players, unless you wanted to make your own or bought another set.

Edit: Mattel has a scan of the English rulebook on their website for anyone who wants to read it.

senrath fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Feb 5, 2024

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Cool Dad posted:

Hello, I was summoned by "strike in foundry". A friend of mine made a foundry mod for strike which is excellent, give it a look!

https://twitter.com/countblanc/status/1344076808896045057

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

senrath posted:

I should note that's only in the Japanese version (and almost every monster's shape was a cross). The English version supplied a set of 10 tiles (5 pairs) that you picked from when you summoned a monster, so you likely could find a shape that worked. The downside with that is you had to share the tiles between both players, unless you wanted to make your own or bought another set.

Edit: Mattel has a scan of the English rulebook on their website for anyone who wants to read it.

Mind you that was because of what the Japanese version tried to do by replicating the unfolding dice part from the manga/anime and that being a lot trickier to do in reality than in a comic or cartoon so they mostly defaulted to the pattern that was easiest to do the unfolding trick with

Also admittedly most of the time when discussing this game the manga/anime version of how things are done comes first cause I've read the manga arc for it a lot more recently than the last time I played the physical game(which was probably like the better part of 20 years ago)

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Magnetic North posted:

I came across Turnip28 somewhat recently. This setting is weird. I've been trying to think of an analog for the setting's approach to comedy but come up short. Seems rad, though.

I saw someone somewhere (possibly here) describe it as a historical through the lens of Gilliam's Monty Python cartoons, which sounds like an accurate description of the art and flavor.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I posted this in a couple of discords, but thought I'd share to the thread at large.

Had a thought about a non-poo poo use of generative AI in ttrpgs - a spot the mimic puzzle.

Show them pictures of treasure chests, with one of them being drawn by AI. That's the mimic.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
that's a lot of fun! i might steal that for more mimic puzzles in the game i'm running. the only legitimate use of AI other than producing a more and more hosed up hamburger and asking random companies for a refund

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

that's pretty funny

but sigh, let's not get into an AI debate here, please

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
So, a week or two ago I received a large print-on-demand order from DTRPG that was more than two-thirds misprinted in some way.

Once I got all that sorted out, I had the time to read over all the other books, and to notice that all of them have way fuzzier body text than books from the same game line that I ordered back in 2019. It's honestly kind of hard to read (and weird because black-and-white books don't have this issue).

According to DTRPG, this is just the paper stock they use now and there's nothing to be done, so I'm unfortunately going to have to recommend that people not order any color books from DTRPG in the near future.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

"Our products suck and there's nothing we can do" is certainly a stance a business can take.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Thanks for the warning.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Ego Trip posted:

"Our products suck and there's nothing we can do" is certainly a stance a business can take.

I mean, the sucking comes from Lightning Source, and there's not much they can do about that except change who they use as a printer, and I bet they're thinking really hard about that right now. But yeah, right now I wouldn't buy any of their color stuff.

(Black-and-white seems to be okay? I'm not sure why the same text looks bad on what's presumably better paper but I'm not a printer.)

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

hyphz posted:

Thanks for the warning.
Yeah, I have a big list of Glorantha fan products that I wanted to get in POD sometime soon. Guess I'll be waiting on that for a while longer.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Probably because the black in the colour books isn't a true black, but made by printing the colours on top of each other, hence fuzziness.

Lightning Source UK have different printers I think - I remember something about that a couple of years back.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I've heard that Lightning Source USA has multiple printing shops and that the quality will vary based on which one gets your order, but I don't have any hard data on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
That’s a shame, Lightning Source did some very nice books back in the day. I wonder what print shop Burning Wheel HQ uses, because goddamn those are some nice books at shockingly low prices.