Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Judgy Fucker posted:

Who do you think should run it?

Me? I think something LIKE the NCAA, but one more focused on preparing athletes for the Real World rather than just squeezing the life out of everything. IMHO, North Carolina deserved a hammer dropped on them for lying about their academics.

Unless we want to divorce "college" from "college football," that is, which could be a problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

Judgy Fucker posted:

Who do you think should run it?

Give every student government at every FBS school complete control over their athletic department and elect a board of undergrads from non-FBS schools to set the rules from the top (checks and balances). Let each school government hire ADs and set budgets and guidelines (you can keep your weird religious rules BYU and Notre Dame). Elected students will have voting power like board members but will not be entitled to any compensation beyond scholarships like athletes and a part-time salary for the extra board work (and no NIL for the nerds, that would be a campaign finance violation). Old conferences and rivalries will return if the student body wills it with no concern for television rights (because these will all go to their local PBS affiliate / campus radio station)

This will probably result in late 19th century football level of anarchy and noncompetitive matchups with multiple claims for the natty at best and the forced nationalization of the sport at worst to be administered by the department of education or whoever is in charge of hounding you for student loans. Still, can't be worse than the NCAA.

e: VVV :sickos:

Dance McPants fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Feb 1, 2024

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
In which Kirk Ferentz relentlessly lobbies to ban the forward pass.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Gonz posted:

You sold me.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/ryan-grubb-could-make-quick-exit-from-alabama-for-the-seahawks

Ahaha this would be insanely funny

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Gonz posted:

im in

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Please let this happen

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

That would be less than ideal, though it would let us potentially gently caress up someone else program horribly so that could be funny.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
Looks like Ryan Grubb and Chip Kelly are on their way out. PORTAL SZNN!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Warbird posted:

That would be less than ideal, though it would let us potentially gently caress up someone else program horribly so that could be funny.

-Gus Malzahn, Alabama OC
-Dan Mullen, UCLA head coach

General Dog fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 2, 2024

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Looks like Ryan Grubb and Chip Kelly are on their way out. PORTAL SZNN!

Reportedly Chip interviewed for the Raiders OC opening

they hired Kliff Kingsbury instead

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Reportedly Chip interviewed for the Raiders OC opening

they hired Kliff Kingsbury instead

Theirs a sense according to multiple insiders that Kelly may be the new OC in DC with Dan Quinn.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

General Dog posted:

-Gus Malzahn, Alabama OC
-Dan Mullen, UCLA head coach

No no no, you need more spite.

Cadillac Williams, Alabama OC

Don’t care if it wouldn’t make sense, it’d eat them alive.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/Genetics56/status/1753086820605120640

Smells desperate

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

it hurts their ability to negotiate in the future so it's normal to ask that kind of information not be revealed to the public (and more specifically to other conferences/networks)

all the parties at trial will have access provided that it's necessary, it's just not being revealed to the public

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Ole Miss stole our head of player personnel/GM type guy. Seems bad. I get that after a good season you get people poached for promotions but between him and our DL coach I’m not liking this thing of losing important pieces to lateral moves.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Ole Miss is a step up from Texas

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Im sorry I didnt mean it

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Im sorry I didnt mean it

Look, the program has underperformed for years, our crimson-wearing rivals from the neighboring state we play every October, with more titles, have had all the glory for years, and maybe just maybe things are starting to change. You’ll never understand what its like to wear orange and root for UT.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Kentucky OC Liam Coen is leaving (again) for the NFL, this time to the Bucs, after being connected to just about every NFL OC opening there was. This leaves Kentucky looking for a new OC for the 4th time in 4 years.

Gotta think this leaves some bad blood behind. When they rehired him last year he told Stoops he was planning to stay at least 3 seasons. And there were public announcements that Coen would have full control of the offense, so I don't think it was autonomy, or even money, that had him looking elsewhere. A lot of fans were audibly frustrated with constant flirting with every NFL team and even being linked to Ohio St at one point.

Not sure where Kentucky goes from here. They're built for Coen's system, and brought in some highly touted players from the portal. I don't think the portal opens for a coordinator leaving like it does a head coach, but depending on the hire I fear a potential exodus during the post-spring practice portal period.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Bucs get an OC and kick Kentucky in the balls in one shot. Nice.

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?
Jeeeeeeeez. All I wanted was a few years with the same drat OC. We need some dang consistency.

At least Tennessee is getting the death penalty. It brings me no pleasure to report this.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Tennessee is giving the death penalty to the NCAA

Vols Bitch

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Mega64 posted:

Vols Bitch

:hmmyes:

vvv: perhaps my dreams of full time college football official aren't so far off at this pace

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 2, 2024

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
https://x.com/petethamel/status/1753470349637812343?s=46

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

The predicted doomsday scenario has happened so quickly. I knew that realistically the people saying megaconference is the endgame of college football were right, but I thought it would be like 30 years from now, and I wouldn't have to deal with the consequences.

College football is climate change, basically.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

PostNouveau posted:

The predicted doomsday scenario has happened so quickly. I knew that realistically the people saying megaconference is the endgame of college football were right, but I thought it would be like 30 years from now, and I wouldn't have to deal with the consequences.

College football is climate change, basically.

It is sad to see the P2 emerge just as we get a 12 team playoff. Can’t wait for the playoff to turn into 6 teams from each P2.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Thankfully the conference wars will be quick and painless, and we will be greeted as liberators

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Forming an action committee when the problem is in the mirror is probably not going to be helpful.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
A couple of years ago I thought we’d maybe have a 5-10 year period where everyone politely pretended that the 12-team playoff had fixed the sport, but I guess we just skipped that entirely and are going right to the endgame.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Coco13 posted:

Forming an action committee when the problem is in the mirror is probably not going to be helpful.

From their perspective I’m pretty sure the problem is that other conferences are still making some money and the Big-10/SEC want all of the money and they’re going to attempt to fix the problem by aggressively destroying the other conferences.

Their goals are not the same as your goals.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Which one is going to be the National League and which one is the American League?

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Coco13 posted:

tim_robinson_hotdogman.jpg

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Coco13 posted:

The solution is the players must form a Soviet

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Which one is going to be the National League and which one is the American League?

I'm gonna go with SEC as the American league since they fought pretty hard to not be a part of this Nation a while back

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

It's over.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
I assume this will work out as well as the Big Ten-Pac 12 scheduling agreement or the multi conference alliance to end SECmania did.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

RIPiss NCAA

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Spacemonkey57 posted:

I assume this will work out as well as the Big Ten-Pac 12 scheduling agreement or the multi conference alliance to end SECmania did.

Well that ended with the Big Ten devouring the top of the PAC-12 so yea, this will probably end with the Big Ten and SEC devouring the top of the rest of the conferences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

Judgy Fucker posted:

I'm gonna go with SEC as the American league since they fought pretty hard to not be a part of this Nation a while back

Does that mean Kentucky and Missouri have to join the Big 10?