Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
For CPU they are all over the place, but for GPU yeah, they are a distant also ran. Their GPUs never really were great deals, outside of a few specific configs. The problems with Nvidia's desktop line don't really apply (cost in particular has remained pretty steady in the mobile world), and the features like DLSS are much more important.

So yeah, you'll see them now and then but I think the mobile graphics strategy is probably more about the APU than the discrete GPU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
so im having an issue with my new laptop. any graphics intensive game likes to hard shut it down when plugged in. Phantom Brigade, Insurgency, Rogue Trader, Pathfinder (??) all do this on game start up. i dont even reach the main menu

the power cord i have for it isnt the one the came with the laptop itsself but is 100% compatible. the previous owner also stated that they had similar issues.

the laptop in question is a TRACER III-XTREME 17R Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070

it came in pretty pristine condition fans vents all clean nothing in the keyboard etc etc, was factory reset and my brother an i updated all the drivers and installed windows 11

any thoughts?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

verbal enema posted:

so im having an issue with my new laptop. any graphics intensive game likes to hard shut it down when plugged in. Phantom Brigade, Insurgency, Rogue Trader, Pathfinder (??) all do this on game start up. i dont even reach the main menu

the power cord i have for it isnt the one the came with the laptop itsself but is 100% compatible. the previous owner also stated that they had similar issues.

it came in pretty pristine condition fans vents all clean nothing in the keyboard etc etc, was factory reset and my brother an i updated all the drivers and installed windows 11

any thoughts?

My guess would be power draw. Do any games run without shutting down? You said it's 100% compatible, why do you say that? So obviously it plugs in but the is the power adapter rated for the same wattage?

Some reasonably easy things to try would be run DDU and clean out the old GPU drivers and try new ones. I'd also consider doing some stress tests, both plugged in and on battery. If it fails both on stress testing you have a GPU that is dying.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

SpeedFreek posted:

What is the durability of the Lenovo slim pro line like? Primary use is games on long flights and it will live in my backpack next to my thicc work laptop.

Best Buy has an open box with a ryzen 7/3050/16gb ram and I need to replace my thinkpad by next weekend. I'd like a 2 in 1 with a graphics card again but getting one soon and cheap but still durable is higher priority.

I've been using a Lenovo Legion for almost a year now and I'm impressed. It does have a gaudy LED keyboard the building quality is just as good as a normal Thinkpad.

Gaming laptops have come a long, long way. It's getting to the point where I'm thinking about just getting a gaming laptop as opposed to building a desktop. It's more than good enough for most games and too convenient.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Lockback posted:

My guess would be power draw. Do any games run without shutting down? You said it's 100% compatible, why do you say that? So obviously it plugs in but the is the power adapter rated for the same wattage?

Some reasonably easy things to try would be run DDU and clean out the old GPU drivers and try new ones. I'd also consider doing some stress tests, both plugged in and on battery. If it fails both on stress testing you have a GPU that is dying.

yeah its rated for the same wattage. other games run fine it just seems to be graphically intense ones t throws a fit. Deep Rock Galactic loads up and does everything perfectly. when i link up with my brother we'll try those tests and the DDU

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

The real differentiators between desktop and laptop:
•You can swap individual parts out of a desktop. With laptops they’re practically (and sometimes literally) a single fused board with no serviceable parts. This is actually somewhat meaningful from a I/O perspective because it’s reasonable to reuse desktop monitors/speakers/keyboards/etc and that can make an entire system rebuild far less expensive.

•Heat / thermal management. Even if laptops had the same components, the form factor cannot disperse heat nearly as well. The best laptops are still ~6x worse at heat management than a mid desktop with some AIO watercoolers. Afaik the reason why laptops are less performant is primarily because of this.

Those two points are often irrelevant, though. Modern laptops do rule.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

verbal enema posted:

any thoughts?

Does it have any software like Armory Crate that manages power settings? My Asus had that software break so bad I had to reinstall windows to get it out of low power mode when plugged in. A crash doesn’t sound impossible

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Dr. Eldarion posted:

I'm going to be in the market for a laptop within the next couple months. Primary use will be general daily internetting, but I want something that can handle some light to moderate gaming (for things I really want to play that aren't coming to the PS5) and potentially, in the future, some light to moderate game development. (I'm not going to be making a 3D AAA powerhouse or anything)

Not necessarily looking for a specific recommendation, but are there things I should look out for? Screen will be relatively unimportant, I'll have it hooked up to either a monitor or TV pretty much the entire time, and will only be using the screen as a secondary display. Are the integrated graphics on modern processors decent enough for my use cases? Will I be waiting forever for things to compile if I don't have a beefy processor, ridiculous amount of RAM, and fast SSD or are things generally fast enough nowadays that I won't really have issues?

I do a ton of coding for work but all of that compiles on a crazily specced remote workstation so I have absolutely no perspective on what is necessary nowadays.

Thanks!

Coming back to this, I found this at Microcenter and... unless I'm missing something, these specs are really good for the price?

AMD Ryzen 9 7940HS 4.0GHz Processor; NIVDIA GeForce RTX 4050 6GB GDDR6; 16GB DDR5-4800 RAM; 1TB Solid State Drive $799.99

Any reason I shouldn't get this and a RAM upgrade and be good?

Dr. Eldarion fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jan 28, 2024

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Gucci Loafers posted:

I've been using a Lenovo Legion for almost a year now and I'm impressed. It does have a gaudy LED keyboard the building quality is just as good as a normal Thinkpad.

Gaming laptops have come a long, long way. It's getting to the point where I'm thinking about just getting a gaming laptop as opposed to building a desktop. It's more than good enough for most games and too convenient.

I'm looking at a 16" Legion slim now too, no touchscreen and 2lbs heavier but numberpad + 4060 and expandable memory. I need to make a quick plywood mockup to see if it all fits in my backpack first.

The thing about desktops is you can make them quiet and the repair/upgrade potential. Fan noise on a plane is not an issue, at home the constant ramp up and down of a laptop fan gets old fast.

edit: Will that Asus ^ survive regular business travel? The one I had in school didn't last that long.

SpeedFreek fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 28, 2024

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

SpeedFreek posted:

The thing about desktops is you can make them quiet and the repair/upgrade potential. Fan noise on a plane is not an issue, at home the constant ramp up and down of a laptop fan gets old fast.

this is why i am strongly considering a framework laptop as my next one. my current laptop is 7 years old and in excellent physical condition, but the advancements in iGPUs are making me think towards getting a new one. still going to wait awhile since ive no reason to yet

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I don't see the point of upgrades when you can get a Lenovo Legion Slim with a 4060 for ~$1,200. That's an insanely good deal for a computer that will last a long time, portable and can play games well.

It's going to be insane to see what happens over the next few years. Laptops being able to play today's titles at entry level models is probably something that going to happen sooner than we think.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Coming back to this, I found this at Microcenter and... unless I'm missing something, these specs are really good for the price?

AMD Ryzen 9 7940HS 4.0GHz Processor; NIVDIA GeForce RTX 4050 6GB GDDR6; 16GB DDR5-4800 RAM; 1TB Solid State Drive $799.99

Any reason I shouldn't get this and a RAM upgrade and be good?

You can get 4060s for ~900 if your patient which is a worthwhile upgrade, though probably not with a 7940. I'm not a huge fan of the TUF line though it's fine. The 4050 is a very capable GPU too.

I like this deal more, and it'd be a lot more durable. You do lose a bit of CPU though.
https://slickdeals.net/share/android_app/fp/914857

Lockback fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 28, 2024

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Thanks for pointing that one out!

Looks like the tradeoff is extra GPU/better display vs extra CPU/larger SSD/larger battery. It'll typically be plugged in with an external display and SSD expansion is cheap/easy so really I guess it boils down to GPU vs CPU. Hrm.

Seems like my local Microcenter has both of them in stock, though, so I guess I can drop by and see which I like the feel of more.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The legion should be a lot more durable and have a better build quality in general.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Thanks for the help, currently posting from the Legion. Swapped out the SSD already for a 2tb and reinstalled 11. I tried Fedora on it and drat was it fast and responsive compared to 11, didn't pick up all the hardware and I just don't feel like it right now.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Thanks for pointing that one out!

Looks like the tradeoff is extra GPU/better display vs extra CPU/larger SSD/larger battery. It'll typically be plugged in with an external display and SSD expansion is cheap/easy so really I guess it boils down to GPU vs CPU. Hrm.

Seems like my local Microcenter has both of them in stock, though, so I guess I can drop by and see which I like the feel of more.

Zen 3+ Ryzen chips like the 7735H are also still very good performing chips. It won't quite match the newer Zen 4 or Intel chips, especially in single threaded workloads, but if you want to play games, I'd gladly take the extra power and VRAM of the 4060 over the 4050.

My personal machine has a Zen 3 5000 series Ryzen and it still owns.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Yeah that said I think the 4050 is a little slept on (mostly because it hasn't been in the same kind of low-priced laptops that the 3050 is in). If it starts showing up in ~$600 machines it will be an absolute $ per frame beast in the mobile sphere. However, its mostly just been within $100 or so of similar 4060 machines so it's mostly overshadowed.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Thanks for the feedback! I ended up ordering the Legion.

(the fact that the Asus went up by $50 overnight didn't help it any)

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Thanks for the feedback! I ended up ordering the Legion.

(the fact that the Asus went up by $50 overnight didn't help it any)

That's a lot of computer for the money. When the rtx 3000 series first launched I bought a similarly equipped Asus machine (3060 at that time) and it was closer to $1500. That Lenovo will handily outperform it. Progress!

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

I hate picking a new laptop. My last pick I went ultra-cheap and now I have a machine that can't really open VS Code without having a heart attack.
Anxiety about ports, screens, and power are making me start thinking the Framework 13 is now my best option. I have spare SSDs and power bricks so I think I can get one of those nice new AMD ones for about $1,000. I can also find a nice Thinkpad T14s for a little more but it just makes me nervous. Not crazy about being unable to upgrade the RAM later on.

Does anyone have a FW13? I don't need to be super trendy but I think the ability to change my mind about individual components later on would do my brain good in the long run.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

I hate picking a new laptop. My last pick I went ultra-cheap and now I have a machine that can't really open VS Code without having a heart attack.
Anxiety about ports, screens, and power are making me start thinking the Framework 13 is now my best option. I have spare SSDs and power bricks so I think I can get one of those nice new AMD ones for about $1,000. I can also find a nice Thinkpad T14s for a little more but it just makes me nervous. Not crazy about being unable to upgrade the RAM later on.

Does anyone have a FW13? I don't need to be super trendy but I think the ability to change my mind about individual components later on would do my brain good in the long run.

I have an AMD FW13 and it's my main personal computer and first new laptop since 2009. About to hop on a flight but my executive summary is that the tangibles of the laptop like the keyboard, screen, speakers, battery and chassis are a 7.5/10. The intangibles of modularity, Linux support, repairability and upgrade path are a 10/10. Whether or not it's the right laptop for you will depend on your weightings between the two.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

You ok with 15"? The L15 Gen 4 can be configured for around $1k and has upgradeable RAM.

Frameworks are good, and if you are bringing your own SSD, OS and Power adapter you really neutralize my biggest complaint which is the bottom line cost tends to outpace the laptop pretty quickly. But the 13" 7640HS (Which is a v good CPU) is a really good price. If you plan on doing light gaming the 7840HS is maybe the best available APU right now until the new 8600's make it to market. If you don't plan on doing any light gaming the 7640 is a really good deal.

For ports don't sweat it too much. You'll almost certainly would rather use a dock or USB-C expansion guy like this: https://www.amazon.com/Docking-Station-Monitor-1000Mbps-Multiport/dp/B0B1PT5FVM/

I'd just do a couple USB-C, maybe 1 USB-A, and then whatever Ethernet/Video Out you think makes sense for you.

I'll let someone else chime in on if the build quality and screen is worth it, but as someone who is pretty skeptical at what framework is bringing to the table vs what other guys have been doing, I think a framework 13 makes a lot of sense for you.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

I have one; I like it a lot. How much it makes sense for you depends on how appealing you find the whole laptop of Theseus thing as a concept, because people have pointed out you can find sales for high end thinkpads that make them cheaper than the framework with comparable specs.

One of my USB ports doesn't work particularly well (have to reseat the module) but I can't figure out if that's the laptop or just Linux jank.

I like that they officially support fedora and Ubuntu, and the 3:2 screen has grown on me more than I thought it would. It also looks and feels pretty good to me although that's totally subjective.

Probably I guess most people would be better served catching a t14s or x13 on sale for less than the fw though, and just getting the amount of ram they want up front.

I don't regret getting mine though, and if they stick around I hope to be able keep the chassis going with updated internals for a long time.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

The 7040 AMD FW13s are the U series, not the HS series. A little less power, but they also use less power.

For what it's worth I am very happy with my decision to go with Framework and Fedora. I really hate how OS obselesence is a thing to replace hardware obselesence now that computers are basically fast enough and now I finally feel like I have a computer that I control.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Mantle posted:

The 7040 AMD FW13s are the U series, not the HS series. A little less power, but they also use less power.

For what it's worth I am very happy with my decision to go with Framework and Fedora. I really hate how OS obselesence is a thing to replace hardware obselesence now that computers are basically fast enough and now I finally feel like I have a computer that I control.

Oh good to know, still a good CPU.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

HP Omen with a 4070 and a 7940HS at Best Buy for $1100
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-ome...p?skuId=6536973

That's a really good deal. I like Omen's reasonably well, they are a good mid-tier consumer laptop, but honestly probably my favorite of the mid-tier. I like them more than the TUF line of the usual MSI stuff.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Mantle posted:

how do the hinges feel? i know that was a thing before

how do you like the display quality?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Worf posted:

how do the hinges feel? i know that was a thing before

how do you like the display quality?

I have the default 3.3kg hinges and they are perfectly fine. The display angle doesn't change when I'm using the computer normally on my lap and I can open the lid with one hand.

I would rate the display quality as great for productivity. The DPI is so high that I have to use 1.5 scaling. It's only a 60hz panel without FreeSync, but for productivity and only casual gaming I care more that the DPI and nits are high. I'd love it if in the future there were more panel options, like extreme power savings components on one end, and more gaming-oriented panels on the other end.

This might be correctable in software, but the screen is way too bright at 1% brightness. (Linux problem?)

Things like the top cover flex are totally overblown. Yes, it flexes more than my MacBook's top cover but in day to day use it doesn't matter.

I love talking about my Framework laptop. Ask more questions.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Mantle posted:

I have the default 3.3kg hinges and they are perfectly fine.
I really enjoy that this is a thing you can choose to change. Mostly for me the thing that made Framework sound good is that a lot of the ports are replaceable, since I feel like ports are one of the things that experience wear and stop working so well for me; my old laptop I kept moving USB things between ports because the connection would be blipping on and off with at least one of the ports, and I know I've had power connector issues in the past too, though I don't know if the power port is a part you can replace on the Framework.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

roomforthetuna posted:

I really enjoy that this is a thing you can choose to change. Mostly for me the thing that made Framework sound good is that a lot of the ports are replaceable, since I feel like ports are one of the things that experience wear and stop working so well for me; my old laptop I kept moving USB things between ports because the connection would be blipping on and off with at least one of the ports, and I know I've had power connector issues in the past too, though I don't know if the power port is a part you can replace on the Framework.

It's interesting that different people have different attractions to the Framework laptop. For me, the modular ports thing isn't really a big deal. I've never had a port wear out on the 5 Apple laptops I've had going back to a G4 iBook. For me it's on the nice-to-have side of the scale.

What convinced me was the potential to have a motherboard upgrade path across competing OEMs. I wasn't fully convinced of Framework's ability to execute that until they released the AMD version. Now I'm less concerned about their ability to technically execute, and more about their business decisions finding the right market fit. Even before the mediocre reviews of the FW16 came out, I felt that Framework was spreading themselves really thin by creating not only another SKU, but an incredibly complex one.

I feel like all of the resources that went into the FW16 should have gone into making the FW13 ecosystem better, particularly on the OS side. Right now there are 2 supported distros, Ubuntu and Fedora but a lot of stuff has to be tweaked after install like power profile management, fractional scaling, hardware decoding in browsers, etc. It would be nice to have scripts to do all that stuff post-install instead of digging out the info from their trashy reddit quality forums.

e: I remember now that my iBook became useless when it fell off my coffee table while plugged in, bending the power port. It's one of the reasons I was mad that Apple went from MagSafe 2 to USB C charging. But now that the Framework USB-C ports are replaceable, I actually prefer USB-C charging for its versatility across devices and chargers.

Mantle fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 1, 2024

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

B&H has the Legion 7i, 4080 with 32gb RAM for $2100 ($2200 and change after taxes). I'm wondering if that's going to be the price floor for the 2023 models before the likely more expensive 2024 revisions come out.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

99pct of germs posted:

B&H has the Legion 7i, 4080 with 32gb RAM for $2100 ($2200 and change after taxes). I'm wondering if that's going to be the price floor for the 2023 models before the likely more expensive 2024 revisions come out.

Probably.

There's this with 16GB right now https://www.ebay.com/itm/1257710176...a46726911f40INT

But I didn't really see the legion 7 with a 4080 go any lower. You probably won't see a big fire sale of older models since the revisions are just incremental performance increases, so they'll happily just sell both lines for a long time.

Usually you'll see the xx80s start moving before the next GPU cycle stats hitting mainstream but I think we're at least a year away from that in the mobile space.

HP and MSI have sold 4080 machines for around 1600, but that's not as nice of a machine and I have no idea if/when those pop up again.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

roomforthetuna posted:

Charging is via USB only, so yes, the power port is replaceable.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

VorpalFish posted:

One of my USB ports doesn't work particularly well (have to reseat the module) but I can't figure out if that's the laptop or just Linux jank.

:dogstare:

Y'all have got some weird as gently caress problems with your laptops

I don't think I've ever had a port issue with any device of any laptop, ever. Not since 2010 at least, probably all the way back to 2005 or so when I retired my PowerBook g4 and I had a express card 54 thing USB 1.1 adapter. Or using the "always on" USB 2.0 port

"Linux support" is still a thing people worry about? About six months ago I pulled all my old and newer laptops and installed Debian 12 on them. Every single install worked flawlessly. It just works. They mainlined OTA motherboard firmware updates like, 4 years ago! Who the hell has USB driver issues in Linux??

I'm sure framework laptops are great but any bog standard thinkpad, or any of the other laptops regularly mentioned in the thread would be perfectly fine and I seriously doubt the ports will somehow fail on you

Also never had issues getting vs code to boot on my repurposed $150 Chromebooks, not sure what the hell that person did, sounds like possibly a virus, or your heat spreader fell off or something

:wtc:

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Hadlock posted:

I don't think I've ever had a port issue with any device of any laptop, ever. Not since 2010 at least, probably all the way back to 2005 or so when I retired my PowerBook g4 and I had a express card 54 thing USB 1.1 adapter. Or using the "always on" USB 2.0 port

"Linux support" is still a thing people worry about? About six months ago I pulled all my old and newer laptops and installed Debian 12 on them. Every single install worked flawlessly. It just works. They mainlined OTA motherboard firmware updates like, 4 years ago! Who the hell has USB driver issues in Linux??

I'm sure framework laptops are great but any bog standard thinkpad, or any of the other laptops regularly mentioned in the thread would be perfectly fine and I seriously doubt the ports will somehow fail on you

Also never had issues getting vs code to boot on my repurposed $150 Chromebooks, not sure what the hell that person did, sounds like possibly a virus, or your heat spreader fell off or something

My previous laptop, an Asus, was absolutely nightmarish with Linux. Trackpad, graphics driver crashes, it was awful. The AMD Linux drivers for the 6900hs combined with whatever bios Asus was shipping were absolutely not ready at launch

The thing with running Linux is, if you're using a brand new laptop with very new components (and when it launched, the AMD 7840u was very new, as was the included WiFi chip) it is an extremely different thing to running mature hardware that's had kernel support for years.

If you want to run brand new hardware, official vendor support is a big plus - they're making sure components they select have drivers ahead of launch and will steer you to distros and kernel versions that have those drivers. If there are mods or workarounds needed for full hardware support (as there were for the fingerprint reader in the fw13), they will lay those out for you.

Older hardware, sure it's no big deal.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What kind of track pad did you have that you were having driver issues? Some special function not supported, or just flat out didn't work

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Hadlock posted:

"Linux support" is really just short hand for everything working well OOTB. I don't think that's necessarily the case for every laptop mentioned in this thread, and the people that need a good OOTB experience aren't the same people that want to spend their time reading forums, managing out of distro repos, compiling from source, etc.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Hadlock posted:

What kind of track pad did you have that you were having driver issues? Some special function not supported, or just flat out didn't work

It would work, sometimes. Then it would stop working and refuse to take any input. If you shut down and start up again, like 50% it works again, 50% it doesn't, so repeatedly shut down and start up again until you get lucky, or just use a BT mouse.

Iirc journalctl and dmesg full of i2c bus timeouts. Was a blast.

Edit: and ask me about the constant ring bus timeouts on the 680m until someone figured out blacklisting the amd_pstate driver was a workaround.

VorpalFish fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 1, 2024

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Hadlock posted:

I have a Lenovo X1 Carbon Gen 9, and my main USB-C power stopped taking a charge three months after getting the MB replaced because the power supply just blew up and fried the whole thing which happened 2 months after buying the drat thing. (At least the port still does data.)

Lenovo makes great machines (usually) but has some of the worst customer service on the planet. So, I just use the secondary USB-C port to charge it. :nallears:

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Feb 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

AlternateNu posted:

I have a Lenovo X1 Carbon Gen 9, and my main USB-C power stopped taking a charge three months after getting the MB replaced because the power supply just blew up and fried the whole thing which happened 2 months after buying the drat thing. (At least the port still does data.)

Lenovo makes great machines (usually) but has some of the worst customer service on the planet. So, I just use the secondary USB-C port to charge it. :nallears:

It's fine for now, but in case you want to get it fixed Lenovo usually have great input protection in the form of polyfuses that are supposed to reset themselves but sometimes don't. It could be you just need a new one, or a new USB port controller; they absolutely can half die. Bet it doesn't output video or powers off your adapter. It doesn't touch low speed usb signals if designed right so you can put a memory stick in, but it'll only run at 2.0 speeds, generally.

Some repair shops do it, some do it cheap if rent is cheap, often they do it for way too much ($400+) and you should hang up. I do it for quite a lot of money ($275 in the bay area but you are encouraged to find some place local anyhow).