Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Ah Mysterious Heroine X, the objectively best Saberface by virtue of wanting to murder all the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Asterite34 posted:

I appreciate that Heroic Spirits are these mighty, worldly, unflappable beings, but I feel like underneath the hypercompetent living legend facade a lot of them in situations like this are thinking "oh poo poo oh gently caress oh poo poo, who the gently caress is this new rear end in a top hat, wait there are people that can DO that!? I am so screwed oh my god"

I mean a big part of Fate is that underneath all the legends/myths the ones driving it are still very much people with all the gently caress ups that it entails.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

biosterous posted:

"flame country stranger"???

Flame Foreign Country, apparently. Not that it really comes across as any more coherent. Maybe we can get Lancer a cowboy hat and guitar for the Flame Country Stranger Noble Phantasm though.

Asterite34 posted:

I appreciate that Heroic Spirits are these mighty, worldly, unflappable beings, but I feel like underneath the hypercompetent living legend facade a lot of them in situations like this are thinking "oh poo poo oh gently caress oh poo poo, who the gently caress is this new rear end in a top hat, wait there are people that can DO that!? I am so screwed oh my god"

If there's one thing mythology teaches us, Heroes are gently caress-ups of the highest order but some are definitely more confident about winging it through their gently caress-ups than others.

Jossar posted:

Yeah, definitely a real cluster at the end there.

Shei-kun posted:

Holy poo poo that episode went places at the end and just kept accelerating.

One of my favourite things in fiction is when someone's attack hits so hard the person blocking it has the ground beneath their feet crumble and sink so as you can imagine Rogue Saber's introduction made me very happy.

FractalSandwich posted:

Is translating the word 結界 kekkai as "bounded field" rather than the more natural "barrier" an established thing in Fate? The only other place I've ever seen that is in dodgy Touhou fan-translations from like 10 years ago.

As far as I'm aware it is, or at least it's how they do it in FGO and I don't recall for the other stuff.

TheLastRoboKy fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 26, 2024

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Ah Mysterious Heroine X, the objectively best Saberface by virtue of wanting to murder all the others.

But does their S-Blade have a hack blood charge

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Coolguye posted:

But does their S-Blade have a hack blood charge

They dual wield both good and evil versions of Excalibur so they definitely have Zane energy to them.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

TheLastRoboKy posted:

As far as I'm aware it is, or at least it's how they do it in FGO and I don't recall for the other stuff.
That's very interesting. I think that use and the use by Touhou fans must have a common origin somewhere, because it's a very strange turn of phrase, and it's hard to imagine two different translators coming to it independently.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

FractalSandwich posted:

That's very interesting. I think that use and the use by Touhou fans must have a common origin somewhere, because it's a very strange turn of phrase, and it's hard to imagine two different translators coming to it independently.

That origin is probably the original Fate/Stay Night fan translation 20 years ago

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Tarezax posted:

That origin is probably the original Fate/Stay Night fan translation 20 years ago
That was my first thought, but that seems like a weird thing for a later, official translation to intentionally preserve. It also sounds like the kind of English a Japanese writer might make up to sound cool, so I thought it could even be from the original original text of Fate/Stay Night.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Nasu just also really likes using english words to sound cool regardless of how it actually is.

See the bizarre turn of Fate/Stay Night Saber's name from Artoria Pendragon -> Arturia -> Altria which is now her officially localized name that EVERYONE except Nasu hates.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Flame Foreign Country, apparently. Not that it really comes across as any more coherent. Maybe we can get Lancer a cowboy hat and guitar for the Flame Country Stranger Noble Phantasm though.

if it had a preposition it would work much better, adding one lil word would change it to "flame of/from a foreign country" and that would at least mean something

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

biosterous posted:

if it had a preposition it would work much better, adding one lil word would change it to "flame of/from a foreign country" and that would at least mean something

It definitely feels like a rule of cool sort of thing.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

So it is an official mechanic that giving Aria a piggyback ride is faster than normal running?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

So it is an official mechanic that giving Aria a piggyback ride is faster than normal running?

if she's forcibly following you for whatever reason it's definitely going to be faster than waiting for the space cadet to get the lead out

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Maybe we can get Lancer a cowboy hat and guitar for the Flame Country Stranger Noble Phantasm though.

NullBlack fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 27, 2024

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Bless you.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i was trying to torture out a Johnny Cash joke when people were talking about this earlier and couldn't make it land, bless you for making it land visually

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

Coolguye posted:

i was trying to torture out a Johnny Cash joke when people were talking about this earlier and couldn't make it land, bless you for making it land visually

"Je suis tombé dans un ring de feu brűlant" was going to be the caption, but I felt it took up too much space

NullBlack fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 27, 2024

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

:siren: Giant Boat Alert! :siren:

Episode 9 - Surging Waves

We left the last chapter on a bit of a cliffhanger but now it's time for a whole lot of talking, and the introduction of some new characters in the process. There's some fun history at play here, which will likely get even funnier with more characters introduced later.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TheLastRoboKy posted:

:siren: Giant Boat Alert! :siren:

Episode 9 - Surging Waves

We left the last chapter on a bit of a cliffhanger but now it's time for a whole lot of talking, and the introduction of some new characters in the process. There's some fun history at play here, which will likely get even funnier with more characters introduced later.

I had a very similar reaction when it came to Archer's true name. Some confusion when trying to look through memories to the point I paused the game to look it up and then I saw his more common name and it all fell into place.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Oh Archer, one would think that you'd be used to serving under hot-blooded Masters who charge blindly forward with complete overconfidence in their own strength by now. :allears:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

NullBlack posted:

"Je suis tombé dans un ring de feu brűlant" was going to be the caption, but I felt it took up too much space

Anneau de feu. :P

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Congrats to Coolguye on figuring out the Boss's identity

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I was seriously considering writing a paragraph talking about Coolguye's efforts that also spelled out Boss' name with every capital letter, but there was no way I could figure out how to make it work without it being complete nonsense.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

Anneau de feu. :P

I did use Google Translate, but in my defense: 'ring' fits the rhythm of the original English.

and congrats to Coolguye on figuring out Boss. Was worried we were in for the long haul.

NullBlack fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 2, 2024

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Congrats Coolguy on figuring out Boss. I spent the entire episode listening to you two geek out on romance of the three kingdom and it was super neat. I know nothing about it. Never even played dynasty warriors.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

I was seriously considering writing a paragraph talking about Coolguye's efforts that also spelled out Boss' name with every capital letter, but there was no way I could figure out how to make it work without it being complete nonsense.

roboky was correct anyway in that i was already thinking about it, i just psyched myself out because the drat shop's name immediately made me think of someone completely unrelated.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Well, obviously you guys have to switch to having Lancer sing a country-western song about French vocabulary, like this one about English phonetics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r-JgYecMac

And figured I might as well get out my congratulations on figuring Boss out along with everyone else. Was debating on waiting for next episode once you hear all about him, but I suppose that will be its own adventure.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

bman in 2288 posted:

Congrats Coolguy on figuring out Boss. I spent the entire episode listening to you two geek out on romance of the three kingdom and it was super neat. I know nothing about it. Never even played dynasty warriors.

The historical side of it is pretty interesting in seeing how it all developed, while the dramatization of it is really great cause it makes everyone fairly compelling characters with extremely distinct motivations. Liu Bei loving SUCKS.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

It is an interesting thing how Zheng Chenggong is a Master who, in some other Fate story, would likely themselves be a Servant. It's a thing this game does that's fairly novel, because having neat historical/mythological characters running around is de rigeur for this franchise, but it's always Servants, and kinda rarely is it Masters. It's neat seeing these larger-than-life characters bouncing off each other in a way that kinda... rhymes? Because Servants are ideally some commentary or shorthand for characterization of the guy who summoned them, so now it's a one-two punch of historical allusions.

The last time I saw this was that bit in the mobile game where Lady Murasaki summoned past-future-steampunk-robot Charles Babbage as a Caster that one time.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Jossar posted:

Well, obviously you guys have to switch to having Lancer sing a country-western song about French vocabulary, like this one about English phonetics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r-JgYecMac

And figured I might as well get out my congratulations on figuring Boss out along with everyone else. Was debating on waiting for next episode once you hear all about him, but I suppose that will be its own adventure.

oh trust me now that it's out in the open both Roboky and i have **lots** to say about the historical figure that is Boss.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

TheLastRoboKy posted:

The historical side of it is pretty interesting in seeing how it all developed, while the dramatization of it is really great cause it makes everyone fairly compelling characters with extremely distinct motivations. Liu Bei loving SUCKS.

also this yes. the historical side of the Three Kingdoms period is amazing, and the dramatization is equally as amazing, for completely separate reasons. the moors of chinese storytelling at the time make it very natural for Liu Bei to be the "good guy", and for Cao Cao to be the "bad guy", when really from a modern western perspective, closer to the opposite is true.

not that Cao Cao is a "good guy" in the modern western trope, either. he's a very complex man both historically and dramatically, and ultimately there's a reason his dynasty didn't last beyond his son. we touched on very similar dynamics both in this LP and the Nioh one with regard to Oda Nobunaga. there's a LOT of thematic parallels between the two men the more you read about them.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Asterite34 posted:

It is an interesting thing how Zheng Chenggong is a Master who, in some other Fate story, would likely themselves be a Servant. It's a thing this game does that's fairly novel, because having neat historical/mythological characters running around is de rigeur for this franchise, but it's always Servants, and kinda rarely is it Masters. It's neat seeing these larger-than-life characters bouncing off each other in a way that kinda... rhymes? Because Servants are ideally some commentary or shorthand for characterization of the guy who summoned them, so now it's a one-two punch of historical allusions.

They take full advantage of the game being set in the past which I really like.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Yay, we don't have to dance around Boss' name now!

Still looking forward to Saber's name reveal and the subsequent history talk, because I've no idea who they are and I am positive there'll be some great talk about their history when we finally learn.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

so what i'm gathering is that the Oliver Queen from the Arrow tv show would be an Archer, but specifically because in most of the fights he's hitting people with his bow or stabbing mooks with his arrows

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
It's funny that Coolguye mentioned Nebuchadnezzar II since he was a villain in the Arcade version of FGO and transferred his soul to a clone body of Boss.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

biosterous posted:

so what i'm gathering is that the Oliver Queen from the Arrow tv show would be an Archer, but specifically because in most of the fights he's hitting people with his bow or stabbing mooks with his arrows

The logic checks out.

Coolguye posted:

also this yes. the historical side of the Three Kingdoms period is amazing, and the dramatization is equally as amazing, for completely separate reasons. the moors of chinese storytelling at the time make it very natural for Liu Bei to be the "good guy", and for Cao Cao to be the "bad guy", when really from a modern western perspective, closer to the opposite is true.

not that Cao Cao is a "good guy" in the modern western trope, either. he's a very complex man both historically and dramatically, and ultimately there's a reason his dynasty didn't last beyond his son. we touched on very similar dynamics both in this LP and the Nioh one with regard to Oda Nobunaga. there's a LOT of thematic parallels between the two men the more you read about them.

Cao Cao might be one of the funniest sneaky bastards I've ever read about. The man's capacity for shenanigans was endless, but Zhou Yu's ability to see right through him was also extremely impressive and the pay-off shows quite dramatically.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

TheLastRoboKy posted:

The logic checks out.

Cao Cao might be one of the funniest sneaky bastards I've ever read about. The man's capacity for shenanigans was endless, but Zhou Yu's ability to see right through him was also extremely impressive and the pay-off shows quite dramatically.

The most recent Three Kingdoms live action show (the 2010 one) had an absolute master thespian playing Cao Cao for showing off his sneaky impishness.

The just total perfection of the summit with Yuan Shao.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwhDrYfKSj8

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 2, 2024

namehereguy
Nov 24, 2017
Assassin is in the odd position of being a weak-ish class that often picks up strong Heroic Spirits. Its class skill of Presence Concealment isn't as good as you'd think because every hero of legend has good instincts for when there's a threat targeting them, so almost invariably their concealment fails in time to parry the surprise attack. Masters tend to stick close to Servants, and when they don't they fort up in workshops that will detect the Assassin as they break the barriers. However, Assassins often turn out to be total badasses on their own merits who can win straight-up fights.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

namehereguy posted:

Assassin is in the odd position of being a weak-ish class that often picks up strong Heroic Spirits. Its class skill of Presence Concealment isn't as good as you'd think because every hero of legend has good instincts for when there's a threat targeting them, so almost invariably their concealment fails in time to parry the surprise attack. Masters tend to stick close to Servants, and when they don't they fort up in workshops that will detect the Assassin as they break the barriers. However, Assassins often turn out to be total badasses on their own merits who can win straight-up fights.

Assassin is one of the reasons why people stick close to their servants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Coolguye posted:

The most recent Three Kingdoms live action show (the 2010 one) had an absolute master thespian playing Cao Cao for showing off his sneaky impishness.

The just total perfection of the summit with Yuan Shao.

Knew what the scene was gonna be even before I clicked the link, it's such a modern classic.

But yeah, the best Assassins tend to be the ones which are really good at killing people, especially when isolated, even if they can't hide it particularly well.