Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

I asked because there was a comment I read (in this thread, I think) that said Gran was more support focused while Djeeta was more offense focused, though maybe I misunderstood that and they may have been talking about Versus Rising.
idk how youd have 'support' in a fighting game so that person might have just been making stuff up. djeeta and gran have different movesets in rising but the difference there is more that gran is more aggressive while djeeta is more of an all rounder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Neito posted:

Gran and Djeeta are both just clothing racks you hang skills and weapons off of. Just pick whoever's cuter (Djeeta).

Is it like the mobile game where you have the option to switch between them? :v: I was wondering about that.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
The story chapters feel more like Bayonetta/Devil May Cry where it's linear missions but it lets you explore just a little for collectables and secret fights

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Unlucky7 posted:

Going to back to Relink, I do wish that I grokked that MSP were a universal pool before I dumped all my starting points into Gran.

Also, was there any real difference between Gran and Djeeta gameplay wise?
The Captain rules and investing in them is good. You haven't made any errors. Gran and Djeeta are the same, so pick whomever is cuter (Gran).

Ciaphas posted:

the thread title says anime arpg monster hunter but so far (ch1) the weapons & controls for them don't seem to have much of the uniqueness or complexity the MH comparison implies. feels more like a musou with fewer-but-tankier enemies. does that change or is the comparison just down to the quest system being lifted almost wholesale
The endgame loop is evocative of MonHun meets an MMO, and breaking parts off of bosses is essential to farming upper tiers. Each individual character is more Musou, or like a more basic Tales game, but it is very much greater than the sum of its parts. Relink is super duper good.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Unlucky7 posted:

Is it like the mobile game where you have the option to switch between them? :v: I was wondering about that.
Double post but you can switch between them at any time.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
I just like to think of it as playing different characters is roughly equal to playing different weapons in MHW

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Master Stur posted:

I just like to think of it as playing different characters is roughly equal to playing different weapons in MHW

That's a good way to put it, I was surprised at how different everyone plays.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It is MH just in terms "big boss fights" and the loop of quest/upgrade yeah. I think all the MH youtubers jumping on the bandwagon and stuff are really giving the game a disservice with the comparisons lol.
thread title too, not just MH youtubers :v:

but fair enough, thanks. i'll see if i'm feeling more engaged as i try other characters

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

some characters are definitely more complicated than others

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

thread title too, not just MH youtubers :v:

but fair enough, thanks. i'll see if i'm feeling more engaged as i try other characters

Playing Eugen feels like playing MH gunner because one of their skills lets you charge up a pierce shot

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

from what i've seen so far i can't imagine ever seeing anything as intricate as charge blade, or even my favorite swagaxe

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

narmaya has stance switching at least. but yes it is by design not *that* complicated, keep in mind that it is meant to be playable by people with minimal action game experience.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

fair enough. the game's got a lot of spectacle so far so i'll be playing it anyway lol

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://i.imgur.com/NfZtjL0.mp4

God I literally cackled when this happened

Also spent some time with Narmaya in the training room, her basic combo loop is absolutely hypnotic to play and I can see why a lot of people main her (among other reasons).

Oh, and I finished the story. It was pretty good! Nothing crazy amazing but eh, didn't need it.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Finally reached post game and yes, that's when you can start Quick Questing. I ended up skipping every cutscene to avoid the game locking up. Getting my rear end beat in front of strangers online now!

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Ibblebibble posted:

https://i.imgur.com/NfZtjL0.mp4

God I literally cackled when this happened

Also spent some time with Narmaya in the training room, her basic combo loop is absolutely hypnotic to play and I can see why a lot of people main her (among other reasons).

Oh, and I finished the story. It was pretty good! Nothing crazy amazing but eh, didn't need it.

Best thing about playing through the story is the OST. Some absolute bangers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwl2SfrCDkg

Orv
May 4, 2011
I didn't notice until now but everyone's eyelashes using the same materials as their eyebrows is really weird looking.

That said, game has some really impressive art all over the place.

Drashin
Feb 26, 2013
A tip that I haven't seen in this thread is that unlocked characters scale with you based on either Story progress or MC's level so once you have a set party for story mode its better to not unlock more characters until the post game since they then come in at level 45 with half of both mastery trees filled out which saves a lot of mastery points.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

What's the postgame like, content-wise? Just harder versions of things you've already done?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Best thing about playing through the story is the OST. Some absolute bangers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwl2SfrCDkg

gotta admit I was a smidge disappointed that there's only this one Stella Magna Banger, with the rest of the OST being mostly orchestral mixes of normal granblue songs. 2nd primal beast and the seedhollow id fight were great though.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

jokes posted:

What's the postgame like, content-wise? Just harder versions of things you've already done?

Same structure as Monster Hunter. Everything is done through the quest board. There are starred quests that unlock an urgent quest that allows you to proceed to the next difficulty. Bosses are harder versions of bosses you probably fought during the main story. Postgame difficulty progression goes: Hard, Very Hard, Extreme, Maniac, Proud

Unlocks:
- Fast travel between different shops like blacksmith/quest board/etc
- Quick Quest: a daily online random quest done through matchmaking based on your highest unlocked difficulty. Your power level gets scaled down if you're matched into a lower difficulty like in a MMO/FFXIV duty finder. You get gold and silver dalia ticket currencies to trade in. One of the crewmate cards is exclusively gated behind this shop.
- More forgeable weapon types like Ascension Weapons. Ascension Weapons are the best in slot weapons because they can be further customized beyond max stars. Transmog is available for weapon skins.
- More sigil grades including sigils with multiple traits
- More knicker ticket trades
- Main story chapter replay for finding missing chests, slimes, and crabs
- Character costume customization unlocks
- Gran/Djeeta can be removed from the active party
- Full character FATE story completion

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bosses are mostly stuff fought during the main game but as you get deeper there are some that are unique to the postgame.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Gyoru posted:

Same structure as Monster Hunter. Everything is done through the quest board. There are starred quests that unlock an urgent quest that allows you to proceed to the next difficulty. Bosses are harder versions of bosses you probably fought during the main story. Postgame difficulty progression goes: Hard, Very Hard, Extreme, Maniac, Proud

Unlocks:
- Fast travel between different shops like blacksmith/quest board/etc
- Quick Quest: a daily online random quest done through matchmaking based on your highest unlocked difficulty. Your power level gets scaled down if you're matched into a lower difficulty like in a MMO/FFXIV duty finder. You get gold and silver dalia ticket currencies to trade in. One of the crewmate cards is exclusively gated behind this shop.
- More forgeable weapon types like Ascension Weapons. Ascension Weapons are the best in slot weapons because they can be further customized beyond max stars. Transmog is available for weapon skins.
- More sigil grades including sigils with multiple traits
- More knicker ticket trades
- Main story chapter replay for finding missing chests, slimes, and crabs
- Character costume customization unlocks
- Gran/Djeeta can be removed from the active party
- Full character FATE story completion

We're also getting a Faa-san HL raid as DLC next month.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
this game runs surprisingly ok out of the box on steam deck, if you're okay with 30fps. and i do mean 30fps: you are not going to be able to hit the 40fps "sweet spot" that lots of people use on steam deck; the second a mob spawns in or a particle effect triggers you'll drop to 34-36fps at best. that said, it is a surprisingly stable and good-feeling 30fps, better than a lot of other games that have frame pacing and latency issues with a framerate limit that low.

that said, given that 30fps is obviously pushing this thing, you will hear the fans go absolutely ham and the battery life is almost certainly awful for this game. good enough for me to play lying down in bed with a cable plugged in, though. might try streaming from my desktop, but i feel like the visuals of this game demand a pretty high bitrate and wifi streaming might not cut it

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Hit Maniac, fought the qwakadile and it went well enough. Wonder if I can continue to brute force things just shoving all of my resources into Narmaya or if I will need to invest more in my other goons (npcs I roll with are Katalina, Io, and Rosetta).

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Managed to avoid the post Furycane crash by running the game in fullscreen and then I crashed once you get back on the airship. Boo. Really hope they get patches out fast for this.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Some more monster variety would be nice

Orv
May 4, 2011
"Id has left your party" is maybe the funniest understated pop-up of all time.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I only had one crash at the end of Chapter 8 but it was at the end right after the boss gauntlet so I had to do the whole Angra Mainyu -> solo Angra Mainyu -> Proto Bahamut chain again.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am excited to get into the end game, but for now i'm enjoying the main story and slowly making my way through it.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Vitamean posted:

I only had one crash at the end of Chapter 8 but it was at the end right after the boss gauntlet so I had to do the whole Angra Mainyu -> solo Angra Mainyu -> Proto Bahamut chain again.

I had that as a repeatable freeze (image freezes, audio keeps going) on PC yesterday. Managed to button spam the Cancel/B button to get the Skip Cutscene prompt after the boss gauntlet. Tried turning down video settings/capping fps at 60 before the cutscene and it still froze. Some have suggested to try switching between borderless fullscreen to windowed mode temporarily as a workaround for cutscene crashes

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Endorph posted:

bosses are mostly stuff fought during the main game but as you get deeper there are some that are unique to the postgame.
The mechanics also change dramatically as you ascend the difficulty ladder -- you aren't just doing Gallanza But Now With Way More HP, as a for-instance.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I beat the story. I liked it. It feels more like what a young me playing SNES RPGs would imagine of the future than most other games. High on anime spectacle, low on anime drama. Especially low on non-combat run around quests (only the 1, I think).

Settled into Cap/Vasagera/Caliostro/Rackam through the 2nd half of the game. Though it's hard to pick favorites since everyone seems pretty good. I unlocked Zeta and figured I wouldn't play her much since her triangle is just a counter . . . but then I started chaining her air attacks and that was hilarious. Game forced me to play the postgame character and now I need them in my party. I'm wondering how ranged vs melee will play out as the game gets harder because despite the massive hits the big guys can put out, I doubt they're doing as much damage as Rackam blasting through every phase.

I was unclear on how quick quests work since I thought I read you need to play them online. You don't, but you can only spend golden tickets and so get golden currency when online. So that's why you need some amount of online play to unlock everyone since there are cards (2 I think?) you can only buy with gold. This was somewhat confusing on PS5. You need to hit "play online" first, then hit "quick quest". You can't choose to play online if you select quick quest first. I had to switch from my region to "all regions" to get a match.

Anyway, the game is fun as hell.

Question: how do you get more weapons? Quest rewards? Seems like everyone has 1. base weapon, 2. forged weapon, 3. found in a chest (got these for Io and Rosetta at least)?

Orv posted:

"Id has left your party" is maybe the funniest understated pop-up of all time.

I definitely laughed out loud. And took a screenshot.

ultrachrist fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 2, 2024

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

ultrachrist posted:

Question: how do you get more weapons? Quest rewards? Seems like everyone has 1. base weapon, 2. forged weapon, 3. found in a chest (got these for Io and Rosetta at least)?

4th is also crafted. Still haven't gotten the fifth yet but someone mentioned there being some kind of fancy weapon with excess progression that's your endgame weapon earlier.

Unrelated but hot tip for online play: click all the chests. I thought they'd auto loot when anyone clicked them, and maybe that is the case, but the last quick quest I did I got more loot from clicking the other already opened chests.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ooh wow, the story, boss fights, and main story scenarios are a lot more epic then I was expecting. This is a very well done game.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Think I'm coming around on Ghandagoza. You can dodge cancel both to shorten recovery and to cancel his Y charge when you're not in range. A Steady Focus Sigil allows him to have super armor while charging Y. I got the stun focused gauntlets on him and if I can get one combo chain off then get a link attack, that gives me a full meter. Getting better at dodging has been allowing me to preserve his X combos as well. The slow from Infernal Stomp is actually REALLY useful since it slows action speed. Hitting a boss with it gives the team a huge opening to unload, which hopefully leads to a break. During Link Time he always has full meter so you can just spam Y charge, roll cancel and repeat.

So in summary: skill issue, but for spamming timed X attacks I still feel like it's way, WAY easier on Siegfried.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 3, 2024

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Diephoon posted:

Think I'm coming around on Ghandagoza. You can dodge cancel both to shorten recovery and to cancel his Y charge when you're not in range. A Steady Focus Sigil allows him to have super armor while charging Y. I got the stun focused gauntlets on him and if I can get one combo chain off then get a link attack, that gives me a full meter. Getting better at dodging has been allowing me to preserve his X combos as well. The slow from Infernal Stomp is actually REALLY useful since it slows action speed. Hitting a boss with it gives the team a huge opening to unload, which hopefully leads to a break. During Link Time he always has full meter so you can just spam Y charge, roll cancel and repeat.

So in summary: skill issue, but for spamming timed X attacks I still feel like it's way, WAY easier on Siegfried.

If you haven't turned controller vibrate back on that tells you when the timings are for both of them

s1ppycup
Jul 31, 2010
My first 3 characters I unlocked were Lancelot, Charlotta, and Vane. I think Vane complements my ungabunga play style best. The other 2 obviously do more damage, but Vane has a lot of stun and utility.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Mister Olympus posted:

If you haven't turned controller vibrate back on that tells you when the timings are for both of them

Thanks! That's a cool tip but I dislike the feeling of controller vibration so much that I have it disabled at the system level. I turned all of my volume sliders down except for sound fx and have been basing my timing off of the hit sound.

e: (post game character spoiler)

Here's a clip demonstrating opening with slow. Team knocked 20% off this boss' hp bar for free right at the start of the fight.

https://i.imgur.com/2FNn6HA.mp4

Just for fun: here's a clip of me almost dying! I should really take a different skill than the self heal, may as well just spend potions.

https://i.imgur.com/e4imGDS.mp4

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

Wrt to Crewmate Cards, do they scale to your level past 45 or is the 45 highest level you can get when you unlock a character with them?

Just wondering if I should hold onto most of them until I hit 100.