Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

A Moose posted:

How many ways are there to give Heartless Hidetsugo lifelink, really?

There's 7 equipment and 1 land that can give your commander lifelink in monored

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/YQMdAcbDJEiKRb6PjXJ_jQ

Random Phoneix tribal I'm working on for my casual play group and would like some feedback if possible.

I'm running five colors to gain access to the best removal spells and Kenrith is just a fun commander to use. The overall theme is to play Phoenix, nuke the board, cast Phoenix from the graveyard and repeat. Using Coat of Arms and Puphoros as the main win cons at this point. I still have to make at least one cut to get under 100 cards at this point.

I'm open to any fun combos and cards I'm missing and definitely enjoy feedback when it comes to deck building.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

Ineptitude posted:

I really wish there was a way to exclude decks with infinite combos on moxfall because winning with an infinite is such a phyrric victory. Is also sucks to finally find an interesting deck only to discover its wincons are nothing but combos.

i have them in two decks as backups. in one of them is a weak deck anyway, and the other is already a fire hose of cats before going infinite. both are still combat damage and vulnerable.

i hate thoracle and that one that has you mill half your deck twice.

edit: oh yeah i have that infinite treasure combo in magda but that requires a lot of parts and is tricky. one way or another it requires me to get to upkeep with that dragon and a mess of treasures to snipe victory.

Party Miser fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 2, 2024

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Ineptitude posted:

winning with an infinite is such a phyrric victory.

I find it fun as heck, especially if it's one with your commander in the loop. It's a reward for really understanding your commander and gives legs to some really weird cards. Who the hell else is sleeving up Ophidian Eye but us Niv-Mizzet, Parun geeks?

Probably the Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind geeks.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Infinite combos are fine, uninterruptible infinite combos are bullshit

Like niv and curiosity, as said above

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

One of my favorite combos was winning a 6 player game with Biovisionary and Infinite Reflection. I needed to have 4+ creatures in play, one of them being Biovisionary, nobody had a counterspell or single target removal, and a 6 mana aura.

Just went around the table like "anyone got any response or removal? No? No? No? No? No? Ok I win" and people got mad at ME lmao

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Niv-Mizzet and Curiosity is easy to stop, pop my Izzet Signet on turn 2 and I will have no recourse but to go to my MENSA group chat and complain about how these morons are ruining society.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Two cars combos with your commander being one of the cards just feels kinda scummy, but a weirdly intricate combo that requires 16 mana worth of permanents to be carefully set into play is kinda funny, and an odd magically Christmas land backup plan when a game drags on too long

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

People probably just don't like being surprised and/or feel like combo wins are anticlimactic. Probably why they won't bat an eye at an overrun effect getting played on a board of 25 tokens, but Tooth and Nail Entwined getting Avenger + Craterhoof elicits negative responses.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

A Moose posted:

One of my favorite combos was winning a 6 player game with Biovisionary and Infinite Reflection. I needed to have 4+ creatures in play, one of them being Biovisionary, nobody had a counterspell or single target removal, and a 6 mana aura.

Just went around the table like "anyone got any response or removal? No? No? No? No? No? Ok I win" and people got mad at ME lmao

if i did that i would happily take a victory scoop and enjoy watching the table play the rest of the game out. fragile combos feel the best, that's why i like my jinnie fae deck.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Party Miser posted:

if i did that i would happily take a victory scoop and enjoy watching the table play the rest of the game out. fragile combos feel the best, that's why i like my jinnie fae deck.

What combos do you have with her? In Rin and Seri I keep adding/removing Aluren. I can't find an Oketra's Monument at any of the six LGSes in a 50 mile radius, which would be almost as nasty of a combo.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

LifeLynx posted:

What combos do you have with her? In Rin and Seri I keep adding/removing Aluren. I can't find an Oketra's Monument at any of the six LGSes in a 50 mile radius, which would be almost as nasty of a combo.

jinnie fae, requiem angel, and a sac outlet are infinite whatever. never done it yet but the deck is really strong with interlocking systems. i crammed the deck with token generators that turn into cats, but are still really useful if jinnie fae isn't on the board. krenko was an amazing threat once. eldrazi monument is a good time too, with the sacrifice requirement being nothing.

i probably need to update it with the new token doublers I've picked up like parallel lives and the glory dominus. https://www.moxfield.com/decks/QXhEhMKdDkKCZZs50EQBNQ

i already see some places i can fit them in. why is devoted druid there????

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Party Miser posted:

jinnie fae, requiem angel, and a sac outlet are infinite whatever. never done it yet but the deck is really strong with interlocking systems. i crammed the deck with token generators that turn into cats, but are still really useful if jinnie fae isn't on the board. krenko was an amazing threat once. eldrazi monument is a good time too, with the sacrifice requirement being nothing.

i probably need to update it with the new token doublers I've picked up like parallel lives and the glory dominus. https://www.moxfield.com/decks/QXhEhMKdDkKCZZs50EQBNQ

i already see some places i can fit them in. why is devoted druid there????

You could also do jinnie fae, ivy lane denizen, and scurry oak. Make infinite squirrels which turn into dogs with haste

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

Spanish Manlove posted:

You could also do jinnie fae, ivy lane denizen, and scurry oak. Make infinite squirrels which turn into dogs with haste

why would i make dogs????
but combo otherwise noted

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I find it fun as heck, especially if it's one with your commander in the loop. It's a reward for really understanding your commander and gives legs to some really weird cards. Who the hell else is sleeving up Ophidian Eye but us Niv-Mizzet, Parun geeks?

Probably the Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind geeks.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Two cars combos with your commander being one of the cards just feels kinda scummy, but a weirdly intricate combo that requires 16 mana worth of permanents to be carefully set into play is kinda funny, and an odd magically Christmas land backup plan when a game drags on too long

Oathkeeper, Takeno's Daisho + Wanderwine Prophets + Orvar the All-Form Mistform Ultimus is a slightly clonky but fun infinite.

Goddammit I need to see if I still have that old deck/list and update it. Mono-U Mistform Omni-Tribal was a weirdass bundle of synergies and occasional goofy bullshit.

mobile suit goatse
Apr 21, 2010
My ten Doctors deck is one of my favorites to play, it's pretty casual. I focus on casting historics to trigger my commander, Sarah Jane Smith to make clues. Instead of running good historics, I run all the Doctors I can legally play in Bant. Later I summon my other commander, The Third Doctor who has built-in trample and gets +1/+1 for each noncreature token I control. Swing big.

https://archidekt.com/decks/5882746/the_ten_doctors

My actual favorite (and longest-existing) deck is Megatron, Tyrant. It's very aggro and fast. I attempt to sac big artifacts into Megatron, Destructive Force, to fire piercing damage into a 1/1, then flip into Megatron, Tyrant. At Main phase two, I get to convert all opponent's life loss into colorless mana, which I use to feed into X spells such as Exsanguinate :blastu:

https://archidekt.com/decks/3605504/megatron_instrument_of_destruction

What do you guys think?

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Hello thread, two questions for you. I have a pod where there are four people: my friend, his wife, a very new player and myself.

My friend has been making decks but they are pretty consistently above the power level of the group. His wife plays a go wide squirrels deck that has very little removal, new person is new so tends to not play optimally, and friend, for example, played a Winota deck that while costing like $70, was low cost enough that he was winning on turn 4, or a Krenko deck where he did 40 damage to everyone on turn 5. I really dont want to step up my decks to his level because wife and new friend are not there yet and I want everyone to have fun, so we had a talk and he's agreed to take it down a notch.

With that said, my question is such:

What are some fun restrictions we can put on him to slow him down? He suggested letting us pick his commanders for him to build around.

Does anyone have a good deck where I could reliably board wipe turn 4? Part of the problem is half the pod is bad at interaction/removal so it falls on me to do most of the resetting.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
maybe give him decks to play instead, and if he refuses take out a spray bottle filled with water and start squirtin' until he complies.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

ranbo das posted:

Hello thread, two questions for you. I have a pod where there are four people: my friend, his wife, a very new player and myself.

My friend has been making decks but they are pretty consistently above the power level of the group. His wife plays a go wide squirrels deck that has very little removal, new person is new so tends to not play optimally, and friend, for example, played a Winota deck that while costing like $70, was low cost enough that he was winning on turn 4, or a Krenko deck where he did 40 damage to everyone on turn 5. I really dont want to step up my decks to his level because wife and new friend are not there yet and I want everyone to have fun, so we had a talk and he's agreed to take it down a notch.

What are some fun restrictions we can put on him to slow him down? He suggested letting us pick his commanders for him to build around.

Does anyone have a good deck where I could reliably board wipe turn 4? Part of the problem is half the pod is bad at interaction/removal so it falls on me to do most of the resetting.

Wang your friend in the nards with a playmat whenever he does that. He'll get it eventually.

mobile suit goatse
Apr 21, 2010

ranbo das posted:

You may need to flesh-out your playgroup's idea of "casual" as that seems like how you're trying to play. I try to define casual play as not using tutors, no zero mana rocks or zero mana Ikoria commander spells, no winning before like turn 7.

And if he's just looking to pubstomp, you may wanna ask him to find another playgroup.

mobile suit goatse fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 3, 2024

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Archenteron posted:

Oathkeeper, Takeno's Daisho + Wanderwine Prophets + Orvar the All-Form Mistform Ultimus is a slightly clonky but fun infinite.

Goddammit I need to see if I still have that old deck/list and update it. Mono-U Mistform Omni-Tribal was a weirdass bundle of synergies and occasional goofy bullshit.

Ok, that actually sounds funny

Edit: it'd work with Morophon too

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Got my Reyhan + Tana deck just about where I want it to be right before I leave on a deployment.

Jund is the best color combo, fight me.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

It's actually sultai but go off king

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Both of you managed to misspell Grixis somehow, but I'm glad we're in agreeance.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

berenzen posted:

Both of you managed to misspell Grixis somehow, but I'm glad we're in agreeance.

Reyhan and Tana are my Queens Who Go Off, but Abbadon is my Most Special Boy.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Silhouette posted:

It's actually sultai but go off king

I'm at a toss up between bant and sultai.

My sultai deck is an odd intersection of UG and BG where the commander is one of the team up cards from march of the machine with the witherbloom and quandrix students team up. It's a fun combo deck where I do some aristocrats stuff in the beginning to ramp up to some big boys or combos at the end. However bant just is a loving monster at value and I'm surprised no one's talking about Chulane 2.0 here in the bant Galadriel from the holiday box set. You don't have to cast the creatures to get value, they just have to ETB, so do a lot of tokens and blinking.

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 3, 2024

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I've never seen simic misspelled so many times on one page, geez

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

sultai is simic AND golgari at the same time!!!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
And dimir, it's all the best stuff

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
gross

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Welp, I'm a bad person, I bought out my LGS' stock of non-foil Slime Against Humanitys.

I mean it was only 4, but yeah. Ordered a pauper Aeve, Progenitor Ooze deck off ebay as soon as it was spoiled, lol :getin:

mobile suit goatse
Apr 21, 2010
Reyan and Tana is Jund. Not Sultai or Dimir or whatever. And Jund probably is the strongest combo if that's the gibbis jokes you guys are doing. People don't say "JUND 'EM OUT!" for no reason :whatup:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Dumb thought: Spellweaver Helix in a Slime Against Humanity (or Dragon's Approach) deck. Every time you Slime/Approach, you get a copy of another sorcery for free.

Outside of the extremely obvious broken thing to do with this (extra turn spells), what are some fun ideas to pair with Slime Against Humanity/Dragon's Approach on this?

mobile suit goatse
Apr 21, 2010
My personal favorite color combo to play is Azorius tho. I'll play Bant, Esper, etc. love to do control things with Azorius.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

W.T. Fits posted:

Dumb thought: Spellweaver Helix in a Slime Against Humanity (or Dragon's Approach) deck. Every time you Slime/Approach, you get a copy of another sorcery for free.

Outside of the extremely obvious broken thing to do with this (extra turn spells), what are some fun ideas to pair with Slime Against Humanity/Dragon's Approach on this?

Just keep doing more slimes by exiling two SAH

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

https://x.com/Not_TomCruise/status/1753949739312103569?s=20

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

mobile suit goatse posted:

Reyan and Tana is Jund. Not Sultai or Dimir or whatever. And Jund probably is the strongest combo if that's the gibbis jokes you guys are doing. People don't say "JUND 'EM OUT!" for no reason :whatup:

that meme is because jund used to be good

In modern

In 2013

mobile suit goatse
Apr 21, 2010

Silhouette posted:

that meme is because jund used to be good

In modern

In 2013

sorry to offend you

i hope one day

you can get over it

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Rose Room Treasurer, the Academy Manufactor reprint, and Indulge//Excess (not from MKM but I didn't see it until yesterday) have finally convinced me to build Jinnie Fay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I have never heard of a convention format called "Unknown" sounds kinda really fun. Shuffle Up and Play episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHZX2bxcEQE