Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mega64 posted:

Tennessee is giving the death penalty to the NCAA

Vols Bitch

Get it right: they never saw any strangers at rocky top

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

Does that mean Kentucky and Missouri have to join the Big 10?

Big 10 west champions Kentucky

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Judgy Fucker posted:

I'm gonna go with SEC as the American league since they fought pretty hard to not be a part of this Nation a while back

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

The playoff expansion ended up accelerating resentment, not abating it. I didn't think this would happen. I thought it would slow the coaching carousel (and therefore player transfers and vice versa) by allowing more seats at the table.

I wish we could wave a magic wand and go back to 2012. Texas never should have been permitted by the Big XII to make the Longhorn network.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

i was reading about Kansas' mascot's history and it's actually pretty funny how much most people there hate celebrating the TERRIBLE VIOLENCE of the ABOLITIONISTS STEALING PROPERTY. so i would move that they can come too

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

This is somehow going to stop the god drat football video game from coming out later this year.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Warbird posted:

This is somehow going to stop the god drat football video game from coming out later this year.

All EA's licensing deals are running through the NCAA, not the National College Football League

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

There's something to putting Mizzou, Kentucky, and Maryland in their own border conference or division but I can't quite make a joke out of it

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

hobbesmaster posted:

Big 10 west champions Kentucky

It wouldn't surprise me if it crossed Mark Stoops' mind to hire Brian Ferentz as the new OC.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

Kentucky for sure. The Louisville to Cincinatti corridor where everyone lives has more in common with the Midwest than the south anyway. Missouri as a state should be burnt to the ground.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

The war over the border states reignites after 150 years

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

once two strangers climbed ol rocky top
lookin for goldmine NIL
strangers ain’t come down from rocky top
reckon they never will

Okay this is hilarious.

But also, I had never given the lyrics much thought. Does this heartwarming ode to a sweet home in the Great Smoky Mountains actually feature a verse about people stumbling onto an illicit moonshine still and getting murked by redneck moonshiners?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Zwabu posted:

But also, I had never given the lyrics much thought. Does this heartwarming ode to a sweet home in the Great Smoky Mountains actually feature a verse about people stumbling onto an illicit moonshine still and getting murked by redneck moonshiners?

Yes. And it kicks rear end.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
My guess would be that over the next decade or two, the Big Ten and SEC make a push toward self-governance separate from the NCAA (or with an increased level of autonomy under the NCAA) but continue to participate in the playoff with the rest of FBS, as the playoff operates as a separate entity from the NCAA anyway. I'd expect them to swing their weight around for more expansion and more favor within that playoff structure, but I'd be surprised to see them try to break free of it entirely anytime soon.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Zwabu posted:

Okay this is hilarious.

They were prohibition agents.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Zwabu posted:

Okay this is hilarious.

People in this case being revenuers (ATF).

See also: copperhead road.

quote:

Now the revenue man wanted frandaddy bad
Headed up the holler with everything he had
Before my time, but I've been told
He never come back from Copperhead Road

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Well if I visit Good Ol' Rocky Top I guess I'll stick to the well marked areas then!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Coco13 posted:

Forming an action committee when the problem is in the mirror is probably not going to be helpful.

To be fair, the the portal and NIL (which were past due concessions to the players but have proved tremendously chaotic for the sport) were largely spurred by forces external to the NCAA and to the conferences. Those have kind of been the wild cards in the midst of all the other, more TV and revenue-centric, change.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
THIS is what I warned people about with the NCAA losing power - a vacuum hovered up by plutocracy.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Zwabu posted:

Well if I visit Good Ol' Rocky Top I guess I'll stick to the well marked areas then!

Again from copperhead road:

quote:

I take the seed from Colombia and Mexico
I just plant it up the holler down Copperhead Road
And now the D.E.A's got a chopper in the air
I wake up screaming like I'm back over there
I learnt a thing or two from Charlie, don't you know
You better stay away from Copperhead Road

I grew up in Lexington and had actually been warned a couple of times not to go off the beaten track in the mountains. With tobacco dying supposedly marijuana was the biggest cash crop and well, you best be mindin your own business.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 3, 2024

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

I grew up in Lexington and had actually been warned a couple of times not to go off the beaten track in the mountains. With tobacco dying the supposedly marijuana was the biggest cash crop and well, you best be mindin your own business.

Huh. My buddy inherited a patch of land with basically nothing on it in the Middle of Nowhere, Kentucky from his relatives. I wonder what they were using it for.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I grew up in Gatlinburg and have been deep into many of the hollers. Ask me anything

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I grew up in Gatlinburg and have been deep into many of the hollers. Ask me anything

How do they compare to my love, depth-wise?

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Favorably

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

As a proponent of the NCFL, I'm as excited as a Soviet soldier riding a tank into Berlin, although with way less looting and none of the sex crimes.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

JesustheDarkLord posted:

What's the moth man like?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

In all seriousness, the final phase began when the Pac 12 was destroyed. Once that happened, it was inevitable that we were moving to the P2. I actually expected it to happen in the next two or three years when FSU was snubbed and Georgia hemorrhaged players. The ACC was terminally ill and the P2 was going to want to be able to lock players to contracts.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
As someone who grew up in East Tennessee (Johnson City) and has lived 20 years now in Knoxville, there are areas I avoid or look over my shoulder. Places like Cocke Co (first time I ever saw a trailer used as a bar), Johnson Co (yes from the one from Copperhead Road), Unicoi Co, Carter Co, etc., all it takes is one wrong turn. Nowadays they care more about your politics. You probably could drive a vehicle with CA or NY tags down any holler and as long as you have a MAGA sticker on your vehicle they will give you a kind wave.

That said I broke my posting sabbatical (I just lurk now), to ask are my Vols going to be ok? All the fans think that Tennessee is going to prevail against the NCAA easily, and many of the actions taken this week by Tennessee (both the university and the state) and now the SEC seems to point that this is going to be a war that the NCAA can't win. I did read that the NCAA was coming full blast at Tennessee and they were planning to bundle past violations in other sports against Tennessee. Can you imagine a major program like Tennessee (football alone generated like $135 million in revenue last year) getting the death plenty? Neyland empty on Saturdays in the fall? I will never understand why the team I love, just attracts drama after drama. I thought after Pruitt things were getting peaceful finally. The last 20 years have been insane compared to the first 20 years as a fan (biggest drama the first 20 years was Fulmer taking over for Majors).

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 3, 2024

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Zwabu posted:

Okay this is hilarious.

Yep. And all the folks on Rocky top getting their corn from a jar isn’t talking about literally corn in a jar

its moonshine

Yeah we good

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 3, 2024

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Being in the Whack rear end Big 12 and it not even saving Arizona from hurtling towards the Jr leagues is a double blow but what're you gonna do.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

nate fisher posted:

Can you imagine a major program like Tennessee (football alone generated like $135 million in revenue last year) getting the death plenty? Neyland empty on Saturdays in the fall?

poo poo that will definitely not happen to any major program again no matter how much you mess up: the death penalty. That's for D3 tennis teams and such.

Now they might try to put some restrictions on scholarships or 'crootin, or vacate some wins or some stuff like that. Maybe a bowl/postseason ban if things go wrong somehow (I don't think they'll go that wrong and there might be a negotiation for the previous stuff). But they'll be playing in front of whatever crowd shows up and will be on TV. My read is if the NCAA tries anything else, well, Tennessee is probably big enough to start talking to other schools about whether we really need the NCAA. And the NCAA doesn't want that smoke.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Sash! posted:

In all seriousness, the final phase began when the Pac 12 was destroyed. Once that happened, it was inevitable that we were moving to the P2. I actually expected it to happen in the next two or three years when FSU was snubbed and Georgia hemorrhaged players. The ACC was terminally ill and the P2 was going to want to be able to lock players to contracts.

Basically this. I expected the end to come close to the ACC's GOR expiring, but FSU's hellbent on finding a way out and if they can break free then B1G/SEC pick off whomever they want and create their own league above FBS, where the media money will follow.

It's basically down to when, not if at this point, and I'd be amazed if it took before the end of the decade now.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

hobbesmaster posted:

I grew up in Lexington and had actually been warned a couple of times not to go off the beaten track in the mountains. With tobacco dying supposedly marijuana was the biggest cash crop and well, you best be mindin your own business.

The areas around Lake Guntersville in northern Alabama have been notorious for this for decades. I met a guy in a bait shop there (it's a legendary class lake for largemouth) who was missing half a foot he said got blown off from a coffee can improvised landmine .

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Zwabu posted:

Huh. My buddy inherited a patch of land with basically nothing on it in the Middle of Nowhere, Kentucky from his relatives. I wonder what they were using it for.

I don’t think you understood that last sentence.

(The danger is actually finding out what other people are doing with your land)

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

C. Everett Koop posted:

Basically this. I expected the end to come close to the ACC's GOR expiring, but FSU's hellbent on finding a way out and if they can break free then B1G/SEC pick off whomever they want and create their own league above FBS, where the media money will follow.

It's basically down to when, not if at this point, and I'd be amazed if it took before the end of the decade now.

The media money will lead, not follow. The next move will be media partners asking why they’re paying the same amount for Vandy and Alabama football games. They’ll continue to push for consolidation and creating a closed competition at the top because they’ll get a lot more bang for their buck

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
https://x.com/vfl_vg/status/1753589242154860859?s=46&t=yK-9y61umRd4s-Jqpgnh8Q

https://x.com/brave_vol/status/1753597893297016997?s=46&t=yK-9y61umRd4s-Jqpgnh8Q

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Adun posted:

The media money will lead, not follow. The next move will be media partners asking why they’re paying the same amount for Vandy and Alabama football games. They’ll continue to push for consolidation and creating a closed competition at the top because they’ll get a lot more bang for their buck

I think they'll be able to make the argument that the top teams need punching bags to pad out the schedules, especially if the schism slams the door on Akron, Florida International, and Mercer as options.

It isn't like media partners keep asking why the Pittsburgh Pirates are there taking up space.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
There's 120+ D1 programs. No way the money is going to flow enough to keep the fun G5 upset teams in the mix. The Vandy's may survive, but that's a lot of punching bags to keep afloat.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
There's a reason the proposed European Super League only had one French soccer club - they just wanted Brands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/FosterThePrson/status/1753619313125146948?t=XXPqk02VYTscbd_NLt1c5g&s=19