Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Smoky dog should eat those reports and poo poo em right out on the NCAA lawn. Cause he's a good dog.

Anything related to NIL is a dead end with no teeth because the NCAA has vociferously said "we ain't touchin that" from their end for enforcement imo. I would almost ignore it if i were UTK.

Doesn’t sound like it’s NIL related? Tennessee was stupid enough to let a bunch of boosters pay for a recruit to take a private plane to Tennessee for a recruiting trip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Was remembering "Pop Up Brady" on TVLand/Nick at Nite in which pop-ups would display trivia and facts during Brady Bunch marathons. Cackling at this, I'm sure Big 10 fans will get some mileage out of it.

Criminal Minded fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 31, 2024

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Adun posted:

Doesn’t sound like it’s NIL related? Tennessee was stupid enough to let a bunch of boosters pay for a recruit to take a private plane to Tennessee for a recruiting trip

It was the collective that the boosters partially fund that paid for/provided the flight. It also happened before the NCAA made rules about that kind of thing and the NCAA is trying to retroactively punish for rules that didn’t exist. He committed in March 2022 and the NCAA amended the rules in May.

Which is why Donde Plowman is basically telling them to eat it.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Joey Freshwater posted:

It was the collective that the boosters partially fund that paid for/provided the flight. It also happened before the NCAA made rules about that kind of thing and the NCAA is trying to retroactively punish for rules that didn’t exist. He committed in March 2022 and the NCAA amended the rules in May.

Which is why Donde Plowman is basically telling them to eat it.

When have boosters ever been allowed to pay for a recruit to travel to a recruiting visit?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Who do you think funds the collectives? The collectives that are private companies that Nico was a client of at the time?

I also haven’t seen anywhere that it was for a recruiting visit. There actually haven’t been a lot of details released about it at all. The reaction from the chancellor was so strong it makes me believe that the NCAA doesn’t have poo poo and they genuinely didn’t do anything wrong.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Joey Freshwater posted:

Who do you think funds the collectives? The collectives that are private companies that Nico was a client of at the time?

I also haven’t seen anywhere that it was for a recruiting visit. There actually haven’t been a lot of details released about it at all. The reaction from the chancellor was so strong it makes me believe that the NCAA doesn’t have poo poo and they genuinely didn’t do anything wrong.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/30/us/ncaa-tennessee-booster-group-violation.html

quote:

The investigation is focused on Tennessee’s high-profile donor collective, a group of alumni and wealthy boosters who support the team by channeling payments and other benefits to players. The inquiry is looking at, among other things, the group’s role in flying a high-profile recruit to campus on a private jet while the football team was wooing him, one person familiar with the case said.

Having the booster group pay for the trip by the recruit, Nico Iamaleava, now Tennessee’s starting quarterback, would be a violation of N.C.A.A. rules. The inquiry comes after the N.C.A.A. penalized Tennessee for earlier recruiting violations and signals the organization’s growing concern about the huge sums being injected into the nominally amateur world of college sports by donor collectives.

Officials at Tennessee are concerned that the investigation could result in a devastating blow to its football program, according to a person briefed on the matter. The program is already on probation for the earlier recruiting violations, and school officials are worried about the potential for the N.C.A.A. to take drastic action, like banning the team from postseason play and disqualifying players.

The client thing certainly doesn’t pass the smell test unless the company paid for trips to his other recruiting trips to other schools. And the reaction from the chancellor is strong because what the gently caress else is she going to say? Sounds like they know they’re hosed since they’re already on probation

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?
Is that the smallest flutter of hope in my dark empty heart?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It honestly sounds like you want this to be bad for Tennessee but I’ll keep playing.

Nico signed with Spyre (NIL collective) in Feb 2022. He enrolled at Tennessee in December 2022. The flight, provided by Spyre, took place in March 2023. At the time, this was permissible according to CA law. It was also permissible by NCAA guidelines. NCAA decided that it’s gonna change the rules and then retroactively enforce them. That’s what this is about.

NCAA has proven time and again that it’s toothless when it comes to NIL and consistently loses in court.

The chancellor, and my extension the school, rolled over and complied completely when it came to the Pruitt violations. This time she told them to get hosed and they’re gonna fight it tooth and nail. If you can’t see the difference idk what to tell you

Also you’re the dumbest person alive if you think the collectives that are tied to the individual schools aren’t pushing the players towards their schools lol

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 31, 2024

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Joey Freshwater posted:

It honestly sounds like you want this to be bad for Tennessee but I’ll keep playing.

Nico signed with Spyre (NIL collective) in Feb 2022. He enrolled at Tennessee in December 2022. The flight, provided by Spyre, took place in March 2023. At the time, this was permissible according to CA law. It was also permissible by NCAA guidelines. NCAA decided that it’s gonna change the rules and then retroactively enforce them. That’s what this is about.

NCAA has proven time and again that it’s toothless when it comes to NIL and consistently loses in court.

The chancellor, and my extension the school, rolled over and complied completely when it came to the Pruitt violations. This time she told them to get hosed and they’re gonna fight it tooth and nail. If you can’t see the difference idk what to tell you

Also you’re the dumbest person alive if you think the collectives that are tied to the individual schools aren’t pushing the players towards their schools lol

drat this went from “not that many details released” to “here are all the details” pretty quickly. The wording of the Times article certainly doesn’t make it sound like the trip took place after he already signed with Tennessee as it states the team was still “wooing” him. And I think everyone would agree that boosters paying for a recruit to take a trip to a team on a private jet is a recruiting violation.

I don’t care much about UT, in fact I loved going to Knoxville for the Mizzou game in 2014 but this is definitely bad for Tennessee and just waving it off seems to be wishful thinking.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
theyre not gonna do poo poo, op

vols by fifty

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021
'Recruiting violations' are just meaningless to me. Dumb poo poo to enforce.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Criminal Minded posted:

Was remembering "Pop Up Brady" on TVLand/Nick at Nite in which pop-ups would display trivia and facts during Brady Bunch marathons. Cackling at this, I'm sure Big 10 fans will get some mileage out of it.

you fiend!!!!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Tennessee fans defiant about a potential recruiting violation, feels good to be back.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Adun posted:

drat this went from “not that many details released” to “here are all the details” pretty quickly. The wording of the Times article certainly doesn’t make it sound like the trip took place after he already signed with Tennessee as it states the team was still “wooing” him. And I think everyone would agree that boosters paying for a recruit to take a trip to a team on a private jet is a recruiting violation.

I don’t care much about UT, in fact I loved going to Knoxville for the Mizzou game in 2014 but this is definitely bad for Tennessee and just waving it off seems to be wishful thinking.

Oh cmon you know exactly what I meant when I said details weren’t available. When and how he was recruited and enrolled is easily available information and the only details about any violations is about a flight that might’ve happened in March but even that’s murky. There hasn’t been any official notice of allegations or infractions giving so everyone is guessing at this point.

The only real info we have is that the NCAA is sniffing around and that nothing official has been said except a conversation happened with the school and the Chancellor told the NCAA to get hosed. Im assuming the NCAA told UT directly what they were looking at and I’m basing my assumptions on that reaction because it was so quick and scathing this time where before she complied completely. I can’t imagine she’s send out something so direct and combative if she/the school, and the schools lawyers, thought there might be a chance of wrongdoing. It would’ve been some nothing statement of “we aware of the allegations and are investigating internally” or something like that.

I’m willing to admit to being wrong when something more substantial comes out but for now it seems like the NCAA is picking a fight it’s not gonna win.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
NCAA ready to lose 9-0 in court again haha

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Vols by 9 bitches

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hoo boy

https://x.com/petethamel/status/1752700462946734254?s=46&t=eGtKhFFooZWFwCmcVJDt3Q

e: obligatory gently caress Clay Travis

https://x.com/claytravis/status/1752702444084371772?s=46&t=eGtKhFFooZWFwCmcVJDt3Q

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Yeah I’m thinking Tennessee is confident they’re in the right here lol

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

VAWLS COUNDNT WHIN LHEEEEGIT SO THEY GONE AND KILLED THA NCDOUBLEA PAAAAAAAAAAAAWL

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Warbird posted:

VAWLS COUNDNT WHIN LHEEEEGIT SO THEY GONE AND KILLED THA NCDOUBLEA PAAAAAAAAAAAAWL

I can’t believe I haven’t shared this

https://x.com/tsv__1/status/1752443087878783454?s=46&t=eGtKhFFooZWFwCmcVJDt3Q

LET HIM COOK

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jan 31, 2024

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
lol Tennessee teeing up the NCAA to get eviscerated by the Supreme Court again. Can't wait.

This should be the response to every NCAA penalty. Michigan should have sued them for catching them cheating.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

PostNouveau posted:

This should be the response to every NCAA penalty. Michigan should have sued them for catching them cheating.

They kinda did with that emergency injunction request! Michigan likely backed off because one of their assistants (Partridge) was clearly busted telling players what to avoid saying. Dead to rights on interfering with the investigation, so Michigan did the equivalent of cutting a deal. And got a natty out of said deal!

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

facialimpediment posted:

They kinda did with that emergency injunction request! Michigan likely backed off because one of their assistants (Partridge) was clearly busted telling players what to avoid saying. Dead to rights on interfering with the investigation, so Michigan did the equivalent of cutting a deal. And got a natty out of said deal!

Tennessee gonna win the Natty got it

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1752702785609707643

This is pretty interesting because the lawsuit seems to essentially argue that the collectives and the schools are one and the same. Which obviously will beg the question why aren't the schools just paying the players directly and also why some collectives are tax deductible.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Adun posted:

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1752702785609707643

This is pretty interesting because the lawsuit seems to essentially argue that the collectives and the schools are one and the same. Which obviously will beg the question why aren't the schools just paying the players directly and also why some collectives are tax deductible.

Great questions, maybe ones they have pointedly asked!

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Tennessee gonna win the Natty got it

that's right

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
this rules, good job Tennessee. About time someone tried to plunge the final dagger into the failing black heart of the NCAA

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I once made a thread in SAS to ask who should be running college athletics and I got three replies, none serious.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Edward Mass posted:

I once made a thread in SAS to ask who should be running college athletics and I got three replies, none serious.

Who do you think should run it?

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Judgy Fucker posted:

Who do you think should run it?

I think a nonprofit association of national collegiate athletic programs where everyone is a voluntary member, agrees to certain bylaws, but also have the ability to change the rules via legislation. A national collegiate athletic association if you will

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Jeff Hadley leaving BC to take Packers DC job

Coaching carousel never ends, RIP BC

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Has that which has never been alive actually die

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

Adun posted:

Has that which has never been alive actually die

At this point, this period will overlap with the Spring Opening. GG.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

Death penalty, imo. And ban that shade of orange for all time.

once two strangers climbed ol rocky top
lookin for goldmine NIL
strangers ain’t come down from rocky top
reckon they never will

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Adun posted:

I think a nonprofit association of national collegiate athletic programs where everyone is a voluntary member, agrees to certain bylaws, but also have the ability to change the rules via legislation. A national collegiate athletic association if you will

This is what gets me about people cheering schools fighting the ncaa. The schools are the ncaa. They can change the rules whenever they want.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Huh who knew it was that easy after all these years of friction between the schools and the NCAA.

Maybe they don’t know. You should tell them

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

once two strangers climbed ol rocky top
lookin for goldmine NIL
strangers ain’t come down from rocky top
reckon they never will

lmao

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Joey Freshwater posted:

Huh who knew it was that easy after all these years of friction between the schools and the NCAA.

Maybe they don’t know. You should tell them

It kinda is?

The matter is that some of the schools aren't happy some of the time, but not everyone all of the time.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/jt_ruhnke/status/1752765971511591304?ref_src=
https://twitter.com/clay_fink/status/1752088788371706112?r

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
I knew he would be good if he ever learned to catch, I was bummed when he flipped from Oregon to ASU