Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
Coal rolling is our only hope to restore atmosphere-cooling sulfur particulates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

mdemone posted:

it's so light compared to the planet it would take many billions of years beyond the sun's death

isn’t that not how gravitational acceleration works? like a stone brick and a plastic brick both feel the same rate of acceleration.

Anyway I was going to make a crack about how the thread favorite theory that this all happened before on Venus was impossible because it would be way more hosed up with solar shades and god knows what else that would still be observable, but then I figured oh they would certainly deorbit on geologic timescales and so I asked the question because Fridays are for posting

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Only problem is if the sunshade gets destroyed or moved by accident all the warming it is holding off will happen rapidly and can't be cooled back down

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I don’t know what you guys are redacting but it also assuredly wouldn’t fix anything. the last stage of grief is acceptance, and y’all are stuck on bargaining or anger it seems like.

fibblins
Dec 21, 2007

party swan
wouldn't dimming the sun i dunno, gently caress with photosynthesis and photovoltaics

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

fibblins posted:

wouldn't dimming the sun i dunno, gently caress with photosynthesis and photovoltaics

food will be grown indoors

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I don't know who this is, and judging by those thumbnails I don't plan on finding out.

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

the industrial sector remains ahead for now

quote:

What percent of the energy consumed in the United States is used in manufacturing?
What are the major sources and users of energy in the United States: The industrial sector [32% of all energy consumption, including electricity] includes facilities and equipment used for manufacturing, agriculture, mining, and construction.
but i'm confident bitcoin will handily outpace it by 2030 if current trends continue with no further acceleration

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

And the thing I like about it the most is, it means the system is beginning to collapse, and everything is slowly breaking down. I enjoy chaos and disorder, not just because they help me professionally, they're also my hobby, you see, I'm an entropy fan. I'm an entropy fan, when I first heard of entropy in high school science I was attracted to it immediately. When they told me that in nature all systems are breaking down, I thought what a good thing, what a good thing, perhaps I can make some small contribution in this area myself.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Stereotype posted:

I don’t know what you guys are redacting but it also assuredly wouldn’t fix anything. the last stage of grief is acceptance, and y’all are stuck on bargaining or anger it seems like.

gonna sell "lol, lmao, [redacted]" on etsy store throw pillows

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

someone do all of AI now

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

New facilities are being commissioned in the ruins of former factories and company HQs all over my region. There's a lot more coming. America is determined to strike while the iron is hot! the earth is the iron in this metaphor fyi

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

What kind of nerd still uses or even thinks about bitcoin

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

[Biosphere Collapse] solvable by [redacted]

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

4d3d3d posted:

AAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

AAAAHHHHHH!!!!

Car Hater has issued a correction as of 03:00 on Feb 3, 2024

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.

Nine-billion-names-of-god—rear end future

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwhjdlyFL8k

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Stereotype posted:

the last stage of grief is acceptance suckin and fuckin

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

also I’ve noticed alot of liberal climate change being referred to as “our changing world” as if earth is just upset about it’s life choices.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

*Mutters* Oh, thank God!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Scarabrae posted:

also I’ve noticed alot of liberal climate change being referred to as “our changing world” as if earth is just upset about it’s life choices.

tbf if my natural state led to the development of humans I'd be pretty upset about my life choices

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Professor Beetus posted:

tbf if my natural state led to the development of humans I'd be pretty upset about my life choices

if my ultimate purpose was to increase the entropy of the universe i would be pretty happy about humans

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Hubbert posted:

And the thing I like about it the most is, it means the system is beginning to collapse, and everything is slowly breaking down. I enjoy chaos and disorder, not just because they help me professionally, they're also my hobby, you see, I'm an entropy fan. I'm an entropy fan, when I first heard of entropy in high school science I was attracted to it immediately. When they told me that in nature all systems are breaking down, I thought what a good thing, what a good thing, perhaps I can make some small contribution in this area myself.

lmao

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Hubbert posted:

he got his wish :blessed:

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

mags posted:

on something awful’s slur-posting sub forum it’s not a good idea to post about [REDACTED] even as a joke

isn’t that all of them? which one are you talking about?

Hubbert posted:

Pack your poo poo folks. We’re going away!

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Hubbert posted:

rip to the goat

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Market-based energy sector innovations

Img conan on the wheel of torment

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
may all politicians contemplate this upon the tree of woe

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
if u think about it we're all gonna be thinking about it

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

We must imagine Sisyphus to be happy.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

the complete castration of nuclear energy is proof that it is possible for world altering developments to be resisted. why didn't big horse save us.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Given that we can't even burn basic fossil fuels without overheating ourselves to death it's doubtful we could safely manage nuclear power on the scale required to stave off climate change

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

mags posted:

I don’t give a hot gay gently caress what JEFFERY OF YOSPOS says!! [REDACTED], dude!!

https://twitter.com/LinkofSunshine/status/1720538218628558969?t=G7wWN8gUSKTdccgs2da3tw&s=19

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Dokapon Findom posted:

Given that we can't even burn basic fossil fuels without overheating ourselves to death it's doubtful we could safely manage nuclear power on the scale required to stave off climate change

We basically already did

LMAO

The fight was lost before I was born but the science was there

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again

Dokapon Findom posted:

Is the doubt that we'd scorpion the frog at the last minute or that capacity is too puzzling. we had it. the scale was not daunting before we abandoned ship and raised a generation where being a nuclear engineer involves sourcing parts for westinghouse or moving elsewhere.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

American scandal did a series of episodes about three mile island that pretty much convinced me that humans might indeed not be capable of managing something with the combination of complexity and dramatic failure potential as nuclear power.

Obviously that’s a very old reactor design, operating under capitalist contradictions, but goddamn if the series of failures isn’t something I see all the time. For me the key parameter is the worst possible failure mode of the reactor design. If we can get it to be on par with like, one a containment failure of those coal generator fly ash waste pits that completely poisons everything around it then it’s probably ok I guess? We should obviously give it a shot regardless since fossil fuels are going to sterilize the whole planet and there’s a chance of everything going right with nuclear.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
https://phys.org/news/2024-01-trees-struggle-climate.html

quote:

"We found that trees in warmer, drier climates are essentially coughing instead of breathing," said Max Lloyd, assistant research professor of geosciences at Penn State and lead author on the study recently published in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. "They are sending CO2 right back into the atmosphere far more than trees in cooler, wetter conditions."

Through the process of photosynthesis, trees remove CO2 from the atmosphere to produce new growth. Yet, under stressful conditions, trees release CO2 back to the atmosphere, a process called photorespiration. With an analysis of a global dataset of tree tissue, the research team demonstrated that the rate of photorespiration is up to two times higher in warmer climates, especially when water is limited.

They found the threshold for this response in subtropical climates begins to be crossed when average daytime temperatures exceed roughly 68 degrees Fahrenheit and worsens as temperatures rise further.
:shepicide:

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

trees got covid so what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

Stereotype posted:

There's only one way to know for sure whether or not it would work, and that's to conduct a scientific experiment. We need a control group of billionaires and a [redacted].