Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Bad news about the 6:

https://www.drive.com.au/news/mazda-6-lives-on-australia-after-japan-axing/

quote:

Mazda will keep the lights on in the Japanese factory which builds the slow-selling Mazda 6 sedan and wagon for Australia, even after production ends for Japanese showrooms in April 2024.

The car maker has confirmed reports the Mazda 6 will be dropped from the line-up in Japan amid declining sales, to focus on more popular and more profitable CX-badged Mazda SUVs.

Mazda has advised the production line in Japan will continue to run for markets such as Australia – as well as a factory in Vietnam that builds the Mazda 6 for buyers there.

quote:

Reports of an all-new Mazda 6 – with six-cylinder engines and rear-wheel-drive underpinnings from the CX-60 and CX-90 SUVs – are becoming increasingly unlikely to come to fruition.

Sales of the Mazda 6 in Australia tallied 1528 examples last year, up from 1511 vehicles in 2022 – but down from 3647 in 2017, 6558 in 2012, and about 12,700 cars in 2003, its first year on sale.

They just announced they've killed it here too: https://autocar.co.nz/mazda6-culled-from-new-zealand-line-up/

I think they're fantstic looking, for some reason the sedan gives me modern Jag vibes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Yeah, I've seen those rumors swirling. Bums me out as I really like my '15. Wish it had about 75 more horsepower, but I still like it a lot. Most people are surprised it's got a three pedal as you don't see those much in tasteful midsize sedans. A Mazdaspeed final edition as a send off would be a hell of a thing, but we all know that's not gonna happen.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

An idle threat. But if mazda made a manual rwd 6 wagon with that inline 6 here I would legit buy one assuming it wasn’t $80k.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

thanks but no thanks elon

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

also, the new GX press camp impressions are out

seems pretty sweet though pricey.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Wistful of Dollars posted:

also, the new GX press camp impressions are out

seems pretty sweet though pricey.

Yeah I watched the Savage Geese one on the GX, seems like a pretty nice truck. So much better than the last GX in the looks department.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKdXieacf-s

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Full Collapse posted:

Just saw a Crown out in the wild. It looks like a lifted Avalon.

My brother in law has one. The interior is nice but cramped as gently caress.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Bad news about the 6:

https://www.drive.com.au/news/mazda-6-lives-on-australia-after-japan-axing/

They just announced they've killed it here too: https://autocar.co.nz/mazda6-culled-from-new-zealand-line-up/

I think they're fantstic looking, for some reason the sedan gives me modern Jag vibes?

The only way this is gonna get solved is legislative action to punish SUV style cars to make them less desirable.

E: gg france, well a city in france.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/jul/27/france-crack-down-suv-drivers-britain-city-streets
https://www.euronews.com/green/2023/11/23/suvs-could-be-the-latest-casualty-of-climate-change-as-paris-tries-to-drive-them-out

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Feb 2, 2024

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Good news everyone! Lancia is back.

https://www.theautopian.com/the-first-new-lancia-in-13-years-looks-decidedly-weird/

It's probably just a stellantis rebadge job but doesn't look too bad and at least it's not a giant piece of poo poo

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

mobby_6kl posted:

https://www.theautopian.com/the-first-new-lancia-in-13-years-looks-decidedly-weird/

It's probably just a stellantis rebadge job but doesn't look too bad and at least it's not a giant piece of poo poo

it's another eCMP/STLA small based ev ride but interior and exterior are bespoke.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

mobby_6kl posted:

Somehow it'll have a battery that will dissolve into rust

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

My first thought was that this looks weirdly French; very Renault or Peugeot on the front. My second thought after reading the article was: ah, it’s a reskinned Peugeot?
Like the rear though.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Cool seats and a lazy suzan

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

In Pog form!

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I like the new Lancia. Stellantis gets a lot of well deserved poo poo for badge engineering things, but it’s nowhere near as bad as 90s GM, so I say god speed.

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

morothar posted:

My first thought was that this looks weirdly French; very Renault or Peugeot on the front. My second thought after reading the article was: ah, it’s a reskinned Peugeot?
Like the rear though.

If you squint, you could mistake it for a Citroen I guess. But that car has literally zero design elements from a Peugeot or a Renault. Mostly it looks like a generic Chinese EV with retro tail lights.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

weirdly chilly pussy posted:

If you squint, you could mistake it for a Citroen I guess. But that car has literally zero design elements from a Peugeot or a Renault. Mostly it looks like a generic Chinese EV with retro tail lights.

The dashboard+infotainment is from opel, the wheel buttons are the same as an avenger while the rest of the interior and exterior is bespoke as far as I can tell.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Mirrors are Peugeot, doors 208 or Corsa I think.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

weirdly chilly pussy posted:

What does a generic Chinese EV even look like? Please describe.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Cheap looking, cheap feeling, chintzy design that never manages to feel cohesive

I think that Lancia looks fine I suppose.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Inner Light posted:

Cheap looking, cheap feeling, chintzy design that never manages to feel cohesive

You've just described modern car design as a whole though?!

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Inner Light posted:

Thanks for letting me you know nothing about the modern Chinese car market.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Thanks for letting me you know nothing about the modern Chinese car market.

Glad to know some are evolving past the perception I was talking about! Let me know when that becomes the norm enough to define what most people think of when they think of a Chinese designed EV, which is what I was referring to

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Inner Light posted:

Glad to know some are evolving past the perception I was talking about! Let me know when that becomes the norm enough to define what most people think of when they think of a Chinese designed EV, which is what I was referring to

BYD has surpassed tesla in sales in certain western markets, since it tends to have better craftsmanship than chinese or german made teslas at same or better price brackets. For all intents and purposes, the most bland and soulless vehicles you see on the roads in europe are teslas not chinese brands like lynk, byd or zeekr.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Like this:

j/k it looks ok but nothing really says "Lancia" to me. Probably because the brand's been basically dead for years and hasn't had its own distinct identity

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Yeah, nobody knows what “Lancia” looks like anymore

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Yeah, nobody knows what “Lancia” looks like anymore

Lancia has been a rebranded fiat (or Chrysler) for so long, there is little identity remaining. The last Lancia that was done from scratch without technical or design constraints was the thesis in 2002.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

The last Ypsilon was so sad I thought it'd be more dignified to put Lancia down instead of selling that car. Lancia still sold roughly 50K Ypsilons per year in Italy.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Inner Light posted:

Having been to Shanghai not quite 4 weeks ago, that doesn’t connect with anything I saw there. If anything, seeing all of the local hybrids/EV was really refreshing.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Godzilla07 posted:

The last Ypsilon was so sad I thought it'd be more dignified to put Lancia down instead of selling that car. Lancia still sold roughly 50K Ypsilons per year in Italy.

Current Ypsilon rides in the same category of the Suzuki Swift, where it's compact enough to fit in historical roads while having enough room for four people inside. 500 and panda second row is for children and double amputees, while the 500L is a lot bigger than the ypsilon. Fiat killing the punto, leaving just the panda and all the 500s, sorta crippled their catalog as the punto was historically their sales backbone for Italy. Punto clientele either went for the Ypsilon, Suzuki Swift or Hyundai i20.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Inner Light posted:

quote:

Let me know when that becomes the norm enough to define what most people think of when they think of a Chinese designed EV

Stuff from Chinese owned / built like MG, GW Geely and BYD do not fit that description, Volvo is Chinese majority as is Polestar

And frankly you would be seriously hard pressed to id the majority of any of thsoe brands as "Chinese" in any way if you didnt know

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 5, 2024

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Well then, it seems I was verifiably out of date from a few years ago. I am not sure I welcome our new Chinese design overlords, but with eventual homologation and sales in the US I hope competition brings reduced prices for consumers (it will not)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Wonder if we should chnage this thread to be more about car news?

Anyway ifyouwant a new SUV in Paris,that will cost you more

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/feb/04/parisians-vote-in-favour-of-tripling-parking-costs-for-suvs

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Hell yeah. More of that please.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

moxieman posted:

Hell yeah. More of that please.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
The metrics for getting the extra tax are kinda arbitrary but if it limits the number of MRAPs doing school runs I am all for it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Wonder if we should chnage this thread to be more about car news?

Anyway ifyouwant a new SUV in Paris,that will cost you more

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/feb/04/parisians-vote-in-favour-of-tripling-parking-costs-for-suvs

Paris really pushed for self-powered transport during the pandemic and it has stuck. The people now realise cars in such an environment were just ruining it. I need to visit and see the difference for myself, it was so busy last time.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Paris really pushed for self-powered transport during the pandemic and it has stuck. The people now realise cars in such an environment were just ruining it. I need to visit and see the difference for myself, it was so busy last time.

I did stop there for a quick train change last june and it wasn't chaotic at all, i would consider Milan or Rome to be worse in comparison.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
It's only over 1600kg so doesn't count Capturs or 3008s which are the common 'SUVs' in France.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

dissss posted:

It's only over 1600kg so doesn't count Capturs or 3008s which are the common 'SUVs' in France.

The article says SUV or 4x4 car, so does that mean it includes stuff like the Audi A4 and X-drive 3 series?