Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

DeafNote posted:

Nier rules

that was such a good ending

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

I mean, I guess that sounds vaguely similar to the bad ending of Harvester.

are you calling Steve becoming a serial killer in real life, laughing about it while the camera pans into his mouth, down his throat to reveal a severed finger in his stomach the good ending of Harvester?

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
Pizza Tower mod where, at the end, Peppino turns to the camera and explains that you, the player, were the Pizza all along.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEm-2giH_zw
Guessing somebody already posted the new cool Technological Connections vid but I had to scroll through pages of takes of so worth reposting anyway. That 200k FPS camera footage is dope.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGPHy3yWE08

Part 3 in a great series on the use of CGI in film-making and how movie studios don't want to admit how much they use (going so far as to use it to edit behind-the-scenes footage that shows it being used). I really like the stuff on matte paintings in there.

Yeah, this series has been really great. I hope he keeps making similar-ish videos after, seeing as the next one will be the last in the series.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No cgi or cgi only matters when it’s a horror film

We need that GOOP son. Real and practical

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
The worst thing about cheap CGI is it's made bad movies boring. If I'm watching something cheap I want lovely puppet monsters and red dyed corn syrup for blood, not whatever CGI monster was on sale in the Blender store and the cheapest blood decal you can drag and drop.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

CelticPredator posted:

No cgi or cgi only matters when it’s a horror film

Yeah, just compare The Thing (1982) with The Thing (2011)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CelticPredator posted:

Wet puppets, as Mildread puts it.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Shaun of the Dead had the right combo, practical blood and gore effects enhanced by VFX (the hole through Bloody Mary's stomach, any time blood splatters on the camera itself, a few bits of additional blood spurt added in post)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Stuff like that is cool.
SLiTHER used gags like that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWCK6VFF6n4

When the guy gets bisected it’s a dummy gore rig comp’d on the real guy

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Whirling posted:

that was such a good ending

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToBQY630PZE

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

idk i think the whole sans thing is intended as the bait that gets you hooked into making the choices that get you there in the first place. the genocide run toes a careful line between unbearable tedium and a grueling but manageable grind. the promise of a cool boss fight is the temptation that leads you to treat your actions as a systemic hurdle to overcome towards a specific end and brush off the obvious implications staring you in the face. if the end goal was just an anticlimax fans would communicate that to each other and it would just be an unremarkable Bad End instead of a weirdly prominent cultural pillar in the fandom.

Catgirl Al Capone fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Feb 3, 2024

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Ivypls posted:

i don't WANT to be evil. i want to be nice. all my power fantasies are just helping people

Unperson_47 posted:

Being kind and considerate is legit the most badass thing one can do

friends, have you heard the good news about your lords and saviors Kasuga Ichiban and Kazama Kiryu--

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Yakuza : it is all pointless. Time for karaoke.

--tear off your shirt and suit jacket in one pull and strike up the orchestra, you fucker, we fight now

RareAcumen posted:

F.D Signifier's been having a blast playing Tekken 8 so far
Of course FD Signifier is a 25-year King oldhead. Of course. It makes too much sense. Isn't he from the Atlanta area? Because the stereotypes of at least one person at every Atlanta bus stop knowing every King combo and chain-throw route are real.

...but yeah, between LAD8 and Tekken 8 I don't have much time for breathing right now. (Tekken 8 is the best Tekken game ever made and I had a whole box of criticisms of the way B-N handled Tekken 7, even if you don't know fighting games it owns.)

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

It's a cool path, it's cool that it infects the other path afterwards too

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

idk i think the whole sans thing is intended as the bait that gets you hooked into making the choices that get you there in the first place.

Yeah but more generally the bait is just more content. More dialogue. Getting to learn more about the characters and understand them better. Especially Sans, who is by far the most mysterious and aloof of the major characters. It’s no coincidence that the most concrete information about him and what his actual deal is gets trickle-fed to you as you progress further and further into his fight.

The game really is not subtle about this at all. One of the last things that happens before the Sans fight is Flowey describing how he did something similar and explicitly saying that he did it because he wanted to see what the other characters would do and hear what they say.

Anyway in actual content creator news: I unsubscribed from ToonrificTariq because I’m uninterested in his gaming livestreams and I found it annoying when they showed up in my sub feed. Is there a way to stop that from happening without unsubscribing? I almost never actually want to watch a livestream so I’d be okay with a solution that makes active streams not show up in my feed at all.

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

Ariong posted:

Anyway in actual content creator news: I unsubscribed from ToonrificTariq because I’m uninterested in his gaming livestreams and I found it annoying when they showed up in my sub feed. Is there a way to stop that from happening without unsubscribing? I almost never actually want to watch a livestream so I’d be okay with a solution that makes active streams not show up in my feed at all.

same but loadingreadyrun gaming and only wanting to see checkpoint and not the 90% random other poo poo the post, wish you could subscribe to playlists

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Autisanal Cheese posted:

are you calling Steve becoming a serial killer in real life, laughing about it while the camera pans into his mouth, down his throat to reveal a severed finger in his stomach the good ending of Harvester?

Yes, in that it's the more entertaining one.

"Road Runner cartoons? ROAD RUNNER CARTOONS?! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA"

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 3, 2024

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
undertale would be better w/o sans imo i'm tired of "corny sidekick who's actually le badass"

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
He's not a sidekick, he's more a trickster spirit, narratively speaking. That's like complaining droopy dog is too strong.

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

sans isn't a badass, is the thing

he's incredibly fragile, he's just one of the only people that is actually trying very hard to kill you when you fight him

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yea the implication i got is all the named monsters could do that its just hes the only one going all out besides the final bosses. papyrus has some similar attacks and the same 1 hp thing but he talks about sparing you even on the genocide route so he clearly isnt trying

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

euroshopper posted:

undertale would be better w/o sans imo i'm tired of "corny sidekick who's actually le badass"

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Sans is a lazy gently caress who is always looking for newer and better ways to be a lazy gently caress.

This includes breaking the game mechanics so he doesn't have to level up.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Still dies like the rest of em

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Much like the cake in Portal - just because jokes are run into the ground by the community doesn't mean the joke is, in itself, that inherently bad. For games like Portal and Undertale it's admittedly pretty hard to separate them from their fan contexts though.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I really enjoyed my time with Undertale but I ate the bread or whatever you were supposed to give to the Spider. Couldn't get past that fight. :(

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
there’s the undertale superfans who want toriel to be their stepmom and then there’s the undertale superfans who want toriel to be their stepmom

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Sardonik posted:

For the interested, I dropped my quarterly big video today on the wild dystopias of Stargate SG1 :toot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0_pVvGqPKU
This was great - from the thumbnail and title I wasn't expecting such good analysis of the American Project but I'm glad to have gotten it.
For some period of time in the 2000s it was one of those shows that was often on TV when I got home from school and I do remember sometimes watching it but I've memoryholed any kind of details about it, so this all felt new to me.
Props for the Frank Klepacki music, also I really enjoyed the the Mass Effect dialogue wheel and the (quite subtle!) uuh cat gags.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I played Undertale without knowing there were strongly divergent kill everything/kill nothing routes so I ended up killing only a couple of opponents (the creepy woman who kidnaps you near the start and someone near the end). It meant that a lot of the meta stuff just didn't work and I didn't even know that you were strongly encouraged to replay the game.

I mean I wouldn't have because I didn't enjoy it at all but still.

Re: Undertale. I'm still playing it, since I keep getting sidetracked, but I liked having the option to just not kill anyone, ever. If the internet hadn't already spilled the beans, I'd probably get progressively more fascinated that I can keep not killing enemies, as normally the games I'm playing flood my screen with a horde of stuff I'm supposed to massacre in exceedingly ludicrous ways and any attempt at peaceful negotiations ends up with the player getting strangled with their own intestines by the monsters that jump you.

Undertale in comparison, is relaxing. Whenever the constant murder in my other RPGs gets a bit too much, I like coming back and not killing anyone a little bit more. :3:

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Angryhead posted:

This was great - from the thumbnail and title I wasn't expecting such good analysis of the American Project but I'm glad to have gotten it.
For some period of time in the 2000s it was one of those shows that was often on TV when I got home from school and I do remember sometimes watching it but I've memoryholed any kind of details about it, so this all felt new to me.
Props for the Frank Klepacki music, also I really enjoyed the the Mass Effect dialogue wheel and the (quite subtle!) uuh cat gags.

Thank you so much! I was really really happy with how those gags turned out in particular. Might make a youtube short of the mass effect gag pretty soon here.

On that note I made a short of the Gadmir music gag to promote the main video, and the short is rapidly approaching triple the viewership of the main video after an hour, lmao.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

bird. posted:

same but loadingreadyrun gaming and only wanting to see checkpoint and not the 90% random other poo poo the post, wish you could subscribe to playlists

The three lines with the plus is the save playlists button. It doesn't really give you a big alert that something new's been added though, you'll still have to check your channel page every couple weeks to see if anything's been added.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Undertale also can prod you to explore other 'timelines' just in case you feel bad about something you did (mostly after the standard ending or if you kill Toriel)
So its not like players arent blind to the idea of a kill-free run.

But that was Ending A's song. FAKE NIER FAN SPOTTED.

Then again all the song versions are great, particularly Ending B where the singer just starts to cry at the end.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

D'Angelo Wallace milks a Breaking Bad meme for all its worth while discussing Argylle, the confusingly marketed spy thriller that sounds like the next Mortdecai.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeE3tDIDF7Q

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm so glad in a week I'll never have to see that loving trailer again. I cannot impress upon you how annoying seeing that poo poo was everytime I went to go see a film.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Just an interesting video on the music for the Pokemon TCG gameboy game. Which is way better than it had any right being.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPv6ohjF1-s

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

From the twisted mind of Matthew Vaughan

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
i haven't kept up with upcoming films for years so when my folks wanted to go watch a movie i figured "okay this one's a spy comedy flick with sam rockwell, can't be that bad". it was that bad. the movie itself gets bored of its premise like 30 minutes in and just starts layering twist over twist over twist, but like, the twists didn't even add anything, they were just like "but this twist is... the last twist was fake!! wait no, the one before that". you could also smell the frantic last second rewrites on it, like a solid 20% of the runtime is spent in exposition of things that have already been explained and in neverending flashbacks to make sure the audience remembers what happened five minutes ago.

my dad loved it, that's how you know it was dogshit

best i can say about it is that had i known it was from the kingsman guy i wouldn't have picked it, but you really couldn't tell it was by him just by watching it since it was just generic "tee hee self aware" drivel

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It looks exactly like a Matthew Vaughn movie

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
that's where you and i are different, matthew vaughn movies don't look like anything to me

e: i guess the colors are bright, sometimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They look like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt-ZN5wzLdQ