Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Zarlog posted:

How are parental controls for Steam Deck? I haven't had much success finding info about it, which leads me to think there probably isn't much beyond Family View.

I'm trying to find out if I can lock down all the things a 9yo shouldn't be messing with (web browser, chatting with strangers, mature games, etc.). Is this possible while still allowing her to play with her friends online?

You'll have to password protect the desktop mode and share games via family view.

E: but really you should just block internet access from your router and open up game ports as needed.

Vic fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m oddly invested in how to solve this now. I wonder how to get around “reboot into rescue mode” or similar.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Steam Deck does have parental controls. IIRC, I had to create an account for my kid, and then you can set it as a child account under MY account. Now, when he is signed in, it disables most of the menu options (like desktop mode, etc.) and I can disable his "family view" if I put in the pin. It also filters out all of the games unless I specifically set a game as a "family game". So he doesn't even see my shameful collection of paradox game DLC, etc.

It was kind of a pain to set up, from what I recall, but once it's set up it's fairly needs-suiting.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Finster Dexter posted:

Steam Deck does have parental controls. IIRC, I had to create an account for my kid, and then you can set it as a child account under MY account. Now, when he is signed in, it disables most of the menu options (like desktop mode, etc.) and I can disable his "family view" if I put in the pin. It also filters out all of the games unless I specifically set a game as a "family game". So he doesn't even see my shameful collection of paradox game DLC, etc.

It was kind of a pain to set up, from what I recall, but once it's set up it's fairly needs-suiting.

that's good to know!

does it restrict the web browser part for links from games or news or whatnot?

how does "signing in" work? select a user after unsuspend, or do you have to log out explicitly every time you use it?

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023
Is this 9yo that enterprising? I think the basic lockdown is enough, in addition to expectations, conversations, observations, and trust. I'm not telling you how to raise your children, but any amount of barriers can be overcome by someone sufficiently determined and precocious. I know I got around every barrier in my way as an unsupervised youth.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I was telling my friend that he could easily get ROMs and emulators loaded up on his 13 year old son’s Steam Deck and he was like “oh hell no I’m not opening up the web browser on that.”

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

malnourish posted:

Is this 9yo that enterprising? I think the basic lockdown is enough, in addition to expectations, conversations, observations, and trust. I'm not telling you how to raise your children, but any amount of barriers can be overcome by someone sufficiently determined and precocious. I know I got around every barrier in my way as an unsupervised youth.

I like how this post answered its own question.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

How well does the Deck do as a Moonlight client while docked to a TV? I've been considering buying a Deck for this over a mini PC due to the added prospects of portability and playing some simpler games natively. The old laptop I'm currently using only has H264 decoding and struggles to maintain a constant 1080p/60FPS with 4K being out of the question. I'd assume the Deck is more than capable of that but just wanted to confirm before pulling the trigger.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

i vomit kittens posted:

How well does the Deck do as a Moonlight client while docked to a TV? I've been considering buying a Deck for this over a mini PC due to the added prospects of portability and playing some simpler games natively. The old laptop I'm currently using only has H264 decoding and struggles to maintain a constant 1080p/60FPS with 4K being out of the question. I'd assume the Deck is more than capable of that but just wanted to confirm before pulling the trigger.

So you have a nice gaming PC and good internet connection? Then yeah you're golden.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

man I’m trying to get all the Nonary stuff setup so that I Sunshine-stream from the fake 3rd display and have it set the resolution the right way and so forth but it keeps dropping the moonlight connection before the game comes up

I think I’ll try just using nircmd to switch the primary to the fake display and let MoonDeckBuddy set the resolution and HDR-ness on it, see if that works better

I really want there to be an emudeck-like wrapper package that creates a fake display, configures all the resolution switching and HDR toggling and primary setting, wires it into Sunshine, and is perfect. But I do not want to be the one who writes it!

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Subjunctive posted:

man I’m trying to get all the Nonary stuff setup so that I Sunshine-stream from the fake 3rd display and have it set the resolution the right way and so forth but it keeps dropping the moonlight connection before the game comes up

I think I’ll try just using nircmd to switch the primary to the fake display and let MoonDeckBuddy set the resolution and HDR-ness on it, see if that works better

I really want there to be an emudeck-like wrapper package that creates a fake display, configures all the resolution switching and HDR toggling and primary setting, wires it into Sunshine, and is perfect. But I do not want to be the one who writes it!

Don't use Moondeck Buddy and try.

MDBuddy is garbo and adds another layer to streaming, just use Moonlight + Sunshine and the desktop

Barreft fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Feb 4, 2024

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Midjack posted:

I like how this post answered its own question.

If you want to get around an internet filter, ask a child because if one person's figured it out they all know within a day.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Barreft posted:

MDBuddy is garbo and adds another layer to streaming, just use Moonlight + Sunshine and the desktop

But then I can’t have different Steam Input configs for different games, can I?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I've got an issue where the saves from my Steam Deck aren't syncing with my laptop and desktop. It shows everything is up to date, I'm online... Any ideas?

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023

Barreft posted:

What's wrong with moon deck buddy? I use it and love its functionality. It lets me switch my desktop resolution depending on if I'm docked or streaming handheld

malnourish fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Feb 4, 2024

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Moonlight really depends on your internet provider. I got that T-Mobile internet thing. Fine enough for streaming at home but it doesn’t support port forwarding so I can’t use it outside of my home network.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Detective No. 27 posted:

Moonlight really depends on your internet provider. I got that T-Mobile internet thing. Fine enough for streaming at home but it doesn’t support port forwarding so I can’t use it outside of my home network.

Tailscale

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

I was telling my friend that he could easily get ROMs and emulators loaded up on his 13 year old son’s Steam Deck and he was like “oh hell no I’m not opening up the web browser on that.”

Thats funny because I got like 185 games going on emu deck now and my son loves it. I'm not really worried about him getting access to things. Frankly making things seem taboo usually makes kids want it more. I'd rather just monitor his use.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I'm glad hentai games weren't really a thing when I was a kid, or I was too naive to know about them. There were always shooters and gory games but there definitely more adult focused games now that I don't look forward to having to navigate with the kids.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's what an SD card is for. I wouldn't try to download a bunch of programs using the web browser either mainly because it would suck to do that

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Suburban Dad posted:

I'm glad hentai games weren't really a thing when I was a kid, or I was too naive to know about them. There were always shooters and gory games but there definitely more adult focused games now that I don't look forward to having to navigate with the kids.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

That's what an SD card is for.

I was really confused with this reply because I thought they were related and JWoD was telling us where they hide their hentai games

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

How to get your rims on your steam deck.

I imagine the guy saying he didn't want to open the browser on the deck was imagining using the controller to go to and vrose archive.org on that tiny screen and moving all the files manually

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

I usually just lick in and around the vent.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Suburban Dad posted:

You were too naive, I was finding that poo poo and installing the Windows XP Japanese language pack for them in 2004.

Kragger99 posted:

I usually just lick in and around the vent.

Does this imply the vent is the Deck's rear end in a top hat?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

njsykora posted:

You were too naive, I was finding that poo poo and installing the Windows XP Japanese language pack for them in 2004.

I was in college at that point. :corsair:

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

njsykora posted:

If I say yes, that means my weiner is the same size as the headphone port. So yes.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

njsykora posted:

Cloaca, really

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

njsykora posted:

Back then, give or take, I was installing Ubuntu and marveling at the spinning desktop cube/sphere/other weird 3d accelerated desktops. Never found anything useful to do with them, other than spin the cube every once in a while.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I wrote down the adult check questions for the original leisure suit larry and did trial & error until I made it to those sexy black & white pixels

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I got the marvel capcom arcade games working finally! Here's how I did it just in case anyone has any issues with this specific issue.

I put my files in the arcade folder of emu deck

then I changed the emulator to mame 2010

This worked for all of them except xmen children of the atom and I got that to work by just going down the list of alternate emulators until one worked. This is everything I've ever wanted in an emulator. It's basically THE game station at this point. If they ever get gog working on this thing oh hell yeah

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

I'm still saving up for hydraulics

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Shard posted:

I got the marvel capcom arcade games working finally! Here's how I did it just in case anyone has any issues with this specific issue.

I put my files in the arcade folder of emu deck

then I changed the emulator to mame 2010

This worked for all of them except xmen children of the atom and I got that to work by just going down the list of alternate emulators until one worked. This is everything I've ever wanted in an emulator. It's basically THE game station at this point. If they ever get gog working on this thing oh hell yeah

Why are you using Mame 2010??? There's no reason to use anything but current MAME aside from the dubious use case of Raspberry Pi's and other microcomputers. Or I guess if you don't like fiddling with the emulator directly, but if you're really getting into Emulation I recommend it.

For Marvel vs. Capcom 1+2 I actually recommend emulating the Dreamcast version for more options

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I tried standard and the games wouldn't start. I still haven't gotten dream cast games to work. This was the only way I had found to do it

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I ran into a weird issue just now.

I started a download of Phantasy Star Online 2 and it was reserving space.

Now, PSO2 is 124GB, so that was taking a while.

I paused the process because I was heading to my parents' house for dinner, and when I got there I resumed the download.

Only, it gave an "out of space" error, saying there was only 22GB available.

I looked in Settings, under Storage, and PSO2 wasn't even listed. Verifying the files verified part of them, land it tried to download the rest, but it gave the out of storage error again.

Since Steam didn't see the game as installed, there was no option to uninstall it.

I ended up having to boot into desktop mode, and desktop Steam had the option to uninstall.

Super weird, but if anyone else runs into a similar issue that's how I solved it.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Dramicus posted:

Back then, give or take, I was installing Ubuntu and marveling at the spinning desktop cube/sphere/other weird 3d accelerated desktops. Never found anything useful to do with them, other than spin the cube every once in a while.

A lot of sparkly poo poo going aggressively nowhere.
Meanwhile - I plug my deck into a 4k monitor and it’s like high dpi support is a foreign concept

Suburban Dad posted:

I'm glad hentai games weren't really a thing when I was a kid, or I was too naive to know about them.
I remember looking at this thing in “Video Games and Computer Entertainment” magazine in my grade school library :hawaaaafap:

https://www.giantbomb.com/metal-lace-the-battle-of-the-robo-babes/3030-248/

https://www.giantbomb.com/metal-lace-the-battle-of-the-robo-babes/3030-248/images/

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Annath posted:

I ran into a weird issue just now.

I started a download of Phantasy Star Online 2 and it was reserving space.

Now, PSO2 is 124GB, so that was taking a while.

I paused the process because I was heading to my parents' house for dinner, and when I got there I resumed the download.

Only, it gave an "out of space" error, saying there was only 22GB available.

I looked in Settings, under Storage, and PSO2 wasn't even listed. Verifying the files verified part of them, land it tried to download the rest, but it gave the out of storage error again.

Since Steam didn't see the game as installed, there was no option to uninstall it.

I ended up having to boot into desktop mode, and desktop Steam had the option to uninstall.

Super weird, but if anyone else runs into a similar issue that's how I solved it.

I dont know how itll work on Deck, but I recall that PSO2 has a super weird file structure on Windows, itll hide, read only, protect a ton of poo poo, and youll be like "where the gently caress did my hard drive space go?" unless you somehow find out or already know that it does this

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

wizard2 posted:

I dont know how itll work on Deck, but I recall that PSO2 has a super weird file structure on Windows, itll hide, read only, protect a ton of poo poo, and youll be like "where the gently caress did my hard drive space go?" unless you somehow find out or already know that it does this

Do you play it through the Xbox app on PC? Because I know a ton of games on there do that, but I don't recall PSO2 doing that once I switched to the Steam version.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Annath posted:

Do you play it through the Xbox app on PC? Because I know a ton of games on there do that, but I don't recall PSO2 doing that once I switched to the Steam version.

i think it was long enough ago that it was xbox app, yeah! hmm

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

wizard2 posted:

i think it was long enough ago that it was xbox app, yeah! hmm

More recent games have gotten better about it, but the older ones still do it.

There's a way to tell which games do it, when you go to install them the folder name it offers tells you, but I can't remember off the top of my head.

I'll check when I get home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Subjunctive posted:

I have this happen if I try to set a specific application shortcut and the exe is funky in any way or just launches a launcher then the app so it trips moonlight that app opens, closes, and kills the session. There's a setting to delay this so launchers don't trip it but some games just don't play nice with application shortcuts.