Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
so hating a tory is pointless because its just a person reasonably following their unfortunately mistaken belief system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Perhaps its a continuing failing of mine to try and explain things like how someone might see a situation differently or be acting on different information, and that doesn't necessarily excuse, condone or vilify their actions.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

No, hating things is frequently the product of experiencing them. And the emotional reaction serves as a motivator, if you hate something you will try to avoid or otherwise get it out of your life, which will make you happier.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

So not in any effort to improve the world, just to feel a bit better? Hmmm not sure about this world view.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The point of improving the world is so that people feel better living in it. That is also the primary metric by which we should judge "improvement".

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

jaete posted:

Ok wait, so this Sinn Fein leader became first minister of Northern Ireland just now? See e.g. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/feb/03/northern-ireland-government-to-reconvene-after-two-year-dup-boycott

This seems like kind of a big deal or I dunno? Can y'all explain a bit, also note: I know nothing about Northern Ireland, Ireland or any other land

Something about Brexit and the Irish sea border (bleak lol) was pissing off the DUP earlier apparently, but now they've... decided they're fine with it? Also all the things re unionism vs not and and

Sinn Fein became the largest political party a while back, so they got the role of First Minister, with Deputy First Minister going to the DUP. The roles are equal, but the DUP in the past insisted that one should have a subservient Deputy name because the idea of equality was hostile to their views. Now they have the Deputy position and they're not all that happy about it.

The Irish Sea Border is a non-entity issue dreamt up as some kind of excuse for the DUP to avoid going into government with a Sinn Fein First Minister. In reality if they hadn't agreed to resume the NI Assembly they would have been facing a new election for NI MLAs that would have eroded their electoral mandate even further.

Northern Ireland has never been in full regulatory alignment with the rest of the UK. From 1921-1973 Northern Ireland had substantive checks on the Irish Sea Border with GB, including checks on goods entering NI, limited freedom of movement for GB nationals wanting to work in NI, different tariffs for NI goods going to Ireland compared to GB goods destined for the same.

When Ireland and the UK joined the EEC in 1973 it resulted in a normalisation of trade and the removal of much of the Irish Sea border, although even then there were still many checks left in place - mostly around agriculture and phyto-sanitary checks that helped NI remain mostly immune from various disease outbreaks that hit GB agriculture.

UK membership of the European Union was enormously important for allowing free movement of goods across the Irish Sea border, as it promoted frictionless trade and open markets. But since it also enabled borderless movement of goods between Ireland and NI the DUP, being the utter shower of incompetent cunts that they are, have never been in favour of it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

NotJustANumber99 posted:

ok. but if you are saying a person literally thinks everything is fine, then you can't use their lack of action to solve or improve a situation they don't realise is bad as a reason to call them evil.

I can, and do.

e; Just saying but if I was a Unionist I'd probably be thinking it's time to talk to the Nats about laying the groundwork for a reunification that enshrines my constituents' rights and makes sure they won't get hard done by in a predominately Catholic country, sorts out things like making sure Antrim and Down get a fair share of the national funding that's pegged as a minimum percentage or something, and discussing whether there should be a requirement for a certain number of seats in the Oireachtas to go to Protestants (and if such a thing is even possible).

What I wouldn't do is dig my heels in and have a great big orange peesh all over myself until the whole affair passes me by and we default to a Reunification that doesn't need to take much account of my terms.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 4, 2024

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Tories planning for two back-to-back general elections:

quote:

Tory party strategists are privately planning for two general elections in quick succession amid a growing belief that the first result could be tighter than national opinion polls suggest, i has been told.
While the Conservatives’ prevailing opinion is that Labour is on course to secure a victory, senior Tories still believe the tide can be turned before the next election to drastically reduce the size of its majority.
The view has prompted party bigwigs to order briefing papers to be drawn up on the 1950/1951 and 1974 general elections, when the country was forced to hold two national polls within a short period.
The move suggests that the Tories are resigned to potentially losing the next election but by a smaller margin than current polls suggest, and that they believe Labour could call a second election soon after to try and secure a working majority.

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/tories-planning-for-two-back-to-back-general-elections-2888082

(paywalled - you can unpaywall it in archive.ph where it has been saved).

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

kingturnip posted:

The system my service uses will effectively lock you out of saving anything if the network is interrupted while you're using it.
Which is fine if you're on a hardline connection, but sort of a problem at lunchtime when the VPN goes to complete poo poo. I hope you weren't using your lunch break 12:00 - 14:00 to write your notes!

We're fortunate at least that no-one seems to care if we use Word.

High five EPIC buddy?

Great when you're onsite but a big problem when you're relying on a dodgy 4g dongle on your ancient trust laptop.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Tories planning for two back-to-back general elections:

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/tories-planning-for-two-back-to-back-general-elections-2888082

(paywalled - you can unpaywall it in archive.ph where it has been saved).

I genuinely believe Labour wont landslide it. By the point the election comes around Kiers utter nothing personality and consistent flip flops will have been really weaponised against him.

I think they'll still win, but we'll have considerably more independents/green/lib dems and the Tories wont lose as much.

And I would add to be very careful with what you say about Plymouth Brethren online. They are notoriously litigous, particularly the Hales.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

NotJustANumber99 posted:

so hating a tory is pointless because its just a person reasonably following their unfortunately mistaken belief system

As well as what Owl said, experiencing a hostile reaction to one's statements often causes people to reconsider or at least tone down their expression of horrid views, which is good for everyone.

dadrips
Jan 8, 2010

everything you do is a balloon
College Slice

NotJustANumber99 posted:

So they aren't evil they just have a different understanding of how things work?
Their "understanding", the unspoken priorities underlying that "understanding", and their complete inability to view things from a human perspective instead of that of an MBA spreadsheet and briefcase wanker is why they're evil. In many cases, irredeemably and unforgivably so.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

It's very confusing to come on here first thing & see everyone responding sincerely to NJAN99's standard posting

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu
I hate tories, as any trans person who values their rights should. Labour too. gently caress em! May they boil in piss

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I just wish there was a trans positive party, or at the very least a not actively transphobic one.

How are the Greens doing at the moment? Last I paid attention there were still a lot of guardian types with 'valid concerns' hanging about near the top.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Feb 4, 2024

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

when your party is up double digits in the polls, that's the time to retreat in fear. it's just soind politics

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I just wish there was a trans positive party, or at the very least a not actively transphobic one.

How are the Greens doing at the moment? Last I paid attention there were still a lot of guardian types with 'valid concerns' hanging about near the top.

There was a big push last year to chuck out the bigoted groups of the party.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67546751

The issue the greens have is they are set up in a totally democratic way, which allows small organised groups to push an agenda more easily then they would in a more traditional party.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Feb 4, 2024

Mebh
May 10, 2010

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

when your party is up double digits in the polls, that's the time to retreat in fear. it's just soind politics

Gotta hit those KPIs so we can cozy up to upper management.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

They know they're going to win so they have to get rid of any policies that might actually change anything. By election day the most radical policy they'll have will be something vague like "education good"

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Marmaduke! posted:

They know they're going to win so they have to get rid of any policies that might actually change anything. By election day the most radical policy they'll have will be something vague like "education good"
We're definitely due Starmer doing an "education, education, education" moment.

And then u-turns on it two hours later.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Mega Comrade posted:

There was a big push last year to chuck out the bigoted groups of the party.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67546751

The issue the greens have is they are set up in a totally democratic way, which allows small organised groups to push an agenda more easily then they would in a more traditional party.

Although that's also a positive if you view entryism as a useful tactic

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Starmer: education, education, education

Sun: what's next??? Starmer slammed as new 'triple woke' policy will have your child indoctrinated by gay immigrants THREE TIMES FASTER

Starmer: after consultation with our critics, there will be no schools, only beatings

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

On the subject of education....
https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1754065066423398762

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Ms Adequate posted:

I can, and do.

e; Just saying but if I was a Unionist I'd probably be thinking it's time to talk to the Nats about laying the groundwork for a reunification that enshrines my constituents' rights and makes sure they won't get hard done by in a predominately Catholic country, sorts out things like making sure Antrim and Down get a fair share of the national funding that's pegged as a minimum percentage or something, and discussing whether there should be a requirement for a certain number of seats in the Oireachtas to go to Protestants (and if such a thing is even possible).

What I wouldn't do is dig my heels in and have a great big orange peesh all over myself until the whole affair passes me by and we default to a Reunification that doesn't need to take much account of my terms.

I can see the UUP doing that, but the DUP & TUV? ... eeshh.

Oh well, we're only on day two of this bright new future so i'll wait and see. :stonklol:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

mainly surprised Gillian "does anyone ever say you've done a loving good job" Keegan is still in her post, but then it's the tories in 2024 so who the hell is left to take the job if they fired her. they'd have to find another peer to do it

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
This whole "free childcare" policy has been one of the most obvious 'the Tories are completely loving clueless' examples of recent years.
They announced it without seeming to have listened to any of the concerns from providers, allocated an absolutely pitiful amount of money... shrugged their shoulders with a "look, it's solved" quote or two, and only now it's due to come into effect does anyone seem to have noticed that what's available (money, staffing, premises) isn't remotely close to what is needed.

Presumably, since early childcare isn't particularly profitable, they haven't been able to find a big donor to give a contract to.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

What are parents meant to do if they can't find childcare places? From what I understand most areas are already over-subscribed, and I'm hearing of more and more nurseries being forced to close for financial reasons. One large nursery in Plymouth went bust the other week, so families are finding the rug pulled without any notice and with no provision elsewhere.

Will the DWP be accommodating and understanding to those who lose their jobs due to not finding childcare?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Poor naive Reeves must resist the lustful advances of the sexy city men

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

e: ^^^

Portuguese man who has lived legally in UK since 2001 facing deportation

quote:

A Portuguese plumber who has lived legally in the UK for more than 20 years has been threatened with deportation by the Home Office after struggling with his application to remain here.

According to lawyers and human rights campaigners the case of Joao Rocha Goncalves Da Silva, 45, is evidence of the Home Office’s increasingly hostile environment policy regarding EU citizens.

Da Silva’s lawyer has warned that there is a risk of another Windrush-type scandal affecting vulnerable EU citizens who have applied late for the EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS) unless the government changes course.

Da Silva arrived in the UK in May 2001 and has worked for his employer Domenic Tomeo, 48, since 2007 in his plumbing business. He has always paid his taxes and has no criminal record.

“Joao is like family to me. He’s a hard worker and 100% trustworthy,” said Tomeo.

A tearful Da Silva told the Guardian: “I’m scared the Home Office will send me back to Portugal. My parents are dead and I have nobody left there now. I consider the UK to be my home and my boss is my family.”

In 2019, Da Silva tried to apply for EUSS using the Home Office app but it was unable to scan his Portuguese ID card. Da Silva applied for a new ID card but had the same problem.

He then tried to apply online but could not due to his lack of access to the correct technology. He then contacted the Home Office helpline for assistance but, due to a speech impediment and the fact that English is not his first language, the person on the helpline did not understand him.

Da Silva finally found a community organisation to assist him with submitting a late application on 7 November last year but the Home Office rejected his application just over two weeks later.

In his application Da Silva explained that he had submitted it late due to problems connected to his speech impediment. Officials said the speech impediment “is not considered to constitute reasonable grounds for your delay in making your application”.

The Home Office rejection letter contained 11 bullet points of what would now happen to Da Silva including being fined, detained, imprisoned and banned from the UK. There is no right of appeal against this rejection.

:(

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Feb 4, 2024

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

quote:

"I consider the UK to be my home and my boss is my family.”

This is the saddest fate possible.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

The Irish Sea Border is a non-entity issue dreamt up as some kind of excuse for the DUP to avoid going into government with a Sinn Fein First Minister. In reality if they hadn't agreed to resume the NI Assembly they would have been facing a new election for NI MLAs that would have eroded their electoral mandate even further.

the problem is in the course of making it an issue they've put the idea in the heads of the loyalists who attended their tub thumping back of a lorry rallies about it

and once an idea takes root in people that thick, it's not going anywhere :/

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
they even seem to have given "no sea border" equal status with "no surrender"

Melissa McCarthyism
Jan 18, 2007

Cracker parade season upcoming lads

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Just Another Lurker posted:

I can see the UUP doing that, but the DUP & TUV? ... eeshh.

Oh well, we're only on day two of this bright new future so i'll wait and see. :stonklol:

Oh let's be under no illusion, these absolute eejits wouldn't in a million years go for something like that. They don't have anyone inclined to do it, and they don't have anyone with the balls to do it even if they did

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Melissa McCarthyism posted:

Jacobs? Do love a bit of crackers and cheese.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

crispix posted:

they even seem to have given "no sea border" equal status with "no surrender"

Ah but you see Jeffrey has now cunningly changed the “Green Lane” ( which only ever existed as a metaphysical construct and is purely a paperwork exercise) into the “UK UNION JACK RED WHITE AND BLUE FLEG LANE” so everyone is happy (lol)

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

Melissa McCarthyism posted:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/1754120228445843488

Lmao.

I wonder if Piss Morgan will brush on the dodgy 'VIP lane' contracts given to Rishi's wife's firm?
https://twitter.com/carolvorders/status/1753919099984355585

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 4, 2024

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Morgan vs Sunak is quite interesting in that I really don't know which one will come across as more of a oval office. probably Sunak but you just can't write off Piers Morgan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I guess there's direct and indirect oval office. And layers.