Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Adun posted:

The media money will lead, not follow. The next move will be media partners asking why they’re paying the same amount for Vandy and Alabama football games. They’ll continue to push for consolidation and creating a closed competition at the top because they’ll get a lot more bang for their buck

Edward Mass posted:

There's a reason the proposed European Super League only had one French soccer club - they just wanted Brands.

Exactly. I've wondered what would happen if private equity or the Saudis or someone took that list of the top 17 schools by TV ratings that was posted a bit back, added 7 more to get to 24, and offered them all $250m/year to leave their conference in football and join a Super League. TV would absolutely follow. And while you'd think that the SEC/B1G would kick them out, if all their major moneymakers are leaving at once, that leaves a little room for negotiating when it comes to things like the NCAA Tournament, the other big moneymaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
New federal legislation that requires all athletic revenue received by land-grant institutions be split evenly among them all just to mix things up.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Qwijib0 posted:

New federal legislation that requires all athletic revenue received by land-grant institutions be split evenly among them all just to mix things up.

Cornell the new powerhouse of the Ivy League

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

Qwijib0 posted:

they need their own tournament. If only there was a trophy available...

https://twitter.com/LandGrantTrophy/status/1596248769456377856

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Dance McPants posted:

they need their own tournament. If only there was a trophy available...

https://twitter.com/LandGrantTrophy/status/1596248769456377856

This made me laugh and then kind of made me sad because this is the kind of stupid goofball college poo poo that will probably disappear once the not-quite-NFL forms.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Ches Neckbeard posted:

There's 120+ D1 programs. No way the money is going to flow enough to keep the fun G5 upset teams in the mix. The Vandy's may survive, but that's a lot of punching bags to keep afloat.

No, those teams are already dead. The Titanic has already hit the iceberg and Vandy and Northwestern aren't just in a lifeboat. They're in one that has been lowered into water. If you're in the ACC or Big 12, you're about to start fist fighting on the deck because you counted how many seats are left.

The rest are trapped behind the immigration control doors that keeps third class below decks and the lights just went out.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Vandy is alive only so long as conferences exist in their current form. Even the power 2 only exist as long as the biggest programs and media partners are happy to subsidize the bottom tier teams

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid
Vandy and Northwestern serve very important functions in helping shield conferences from FOIA requests I thought. Like if they were associations if public schools they'd have to grant more access. Though that also could just be internet BS. I dunnknow. I'm not a lawyer.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
That's not the way it works.

FOIA covers federal agencies under the executive branch. Most disclosure laws are state-based. Vandy is not a magic shield against a reporteer in Tallahassee making a records request at UF.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
https://x.com/ChrisVannini/status/1753924127377838143?s=20

Hahahahahah

Anyways filings are all kinda whatever but it’s funny to read this vs the tone of the plaintiff’s filing

Adun fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 4, 2024

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

GD_American posted:

That's not the way it works.

FOIA covers federal agencies under the executive branch. Most disclosure laws are state-based. Vandy is not a magic shield against a reporteer in Tallahassee making a records request at UF.

But can they help shield the SEC itself? Not the individual schools, but the league office I mean.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Adun posted:

https://x.com/ChrisVannini/status/1753924127377838143?s=20

Hahahahahah

Anyways filings are all kinda whatever but it’s funny to read this vs the tone of the plaintiff’s filing

ncaa might've actually cooked with this one tbh but that just means that tennessee is going to have to write their next brief with both hands on the keyboard instead of tending to their rage boner

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Adun posted:

Vandy is alive only so long as conferences exist in their current form. Even the power 2 only exist as long as the biggest programs and media partners are happy to subsidize the bottom tier teams

But every league has bottom feeders. Besides, once they're decoupled from "Northwestern players have to, you know, go to Northwestern" they just become "the college team in Chicago." Northwestern may not stay Northwestern.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sash! posted:

But every league has bottom feeders. Besides, once they're decoupled from "Northwestern players have to, you know, go to Northwestern" they just become "the college team in Chicago." Northwestern may not stay Northwestern.

*Chicago’s Big Ten Team

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

drunk leprechaun posted:

But can they help shield the SEC itself? Not the individual schools, but the league office I mean.

I would imagine it'd fall under Georgia state law, unless someone got lucky with a court filing somewhere else.

It wouldn't be in Bama, for sure. Our disclosure laws are toothless dog poo poo.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Sash! posted:

Does Chicago make a dent in College Football viewership? Does New York City? The answer is no. Remember this?

These are the schools that The Super League will be based around. Auburn and Florida can be the bottom feeders.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I don't want a super league where Penn State goes 6-6 every year. I need several stress free easy wins to separate the Ohio States and Michigans.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I will say that Other schools may not be huge ratings movers relative to the SEC and Big 10, but they still generally get some of the best ratings anything gets on TV. It's the reason why there are like 20+ stations that show at least one college football game on a Saturday. The Pac-12 had to pretty much commit suicide by passing up what was a pretty good deal trying to chase a bigger one to not get paid, I'm not totally sure it's indicative of this being the end of things the more I think about it.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

Does Chicago make a dent in College Football viewership? Does New York City? The answer is no. Remember this?

It’s true that one of the highest viewership cities for college football (including playoffs/NCG ratings) is Birmingham, Alabama, but another fun fact is I believe Split Zone Duo said their biggest listener city is Washington, DC. Makes sense - fans from all around spill in there.

I would imagine Chicago and NYC are similar, in terms of having alumni from many places filter in there (I think friends from college still occasionally go to the UO watch bar in NYC). But yeah, biggest media markets aren’t automatically the biggest viewership.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Komet posted:

I don't want a super league where Penn State goes 6-6 every year.

Same

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
yeah, well I don't want a super league where Wisconsin goes 1-11 every year (1 win from yearly protected rivalry with Minnesota)

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I like that people think that the interests who took- conservative estimate- 30 years to settle on a playoff format are going to agree on and coordinate the dissolution and re-forging of the SEC and Big Ten within our lifetimes.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Feb 4, 2024

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

It is hard to feel that down on what is happening to the sport because the same sorts of changes that are causing disparity and realignment are also what gives players money and keeps schools from having all the power over them. We are also in that weird time where everything is changing but also there is still TV money that I don’t think can stay the same over the next decade, when the revenue there is drying up and everyone is making cuts basically. I still have some hope that everything comes out the other side with some resemblance to what everyone enjoys about college football, and relative parity among more schools than people think.

I would be worried if I was in the MAC/Sun Belt/C-USA tier, though.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

DuckHuntDog posted:

I would be worried if I was in the MAC/Sun Belt/C-USA tier, though.

What’s the reality that’s worse than where they are right now, where it’s immediate open season on any standout starters and they’re at risk of losing their head coaches for sub-coordinator roles in the P2?

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Sounding like Bill O'Brien might be taking the HC job at BC?

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

General Dog posted:

What’s the reality that’s worse than where they are right now, where it’s immediate open season on any standout starters and they’re at risk of losing their head coaches for sub-coordinator roles in the P2?

FCS, ostensibly. Completely shut out. Those checks for home games for the big teams are substantial percentages for those smaller schools’ entire athletic budget, and being in FBS makes it more lucrative since the games “count” in the current system.

DuckHuntDog fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 4, 2024

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Edward Mass posted:

That's not what I was saying at all. I'm saying that Northwestern, as an example, won't be "Northwestern" with the issues and difficulties that "Northwestern" has.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

A deeper, more interesting dive would be to look at that viewership concentration over time, as I have a suspicion that it's mostly just reflecting teams consistently ranked, as most people like watching ranked matchups more than unranked ones. Like, there's probably teams 20 years ago who were consistently ranked who would've been in that top group of TV ratings, but once their winning percentage fell down, so did the ratings. If you could separate out that ranking effect, it would give you a better sense of who's watching because of the reach of the brand versus who's watching because it happens to be the best looking game in the timeslot.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Komet posted:

I don't want a super league where Penn State goes 6-6 every year.

I agree.

I'd like a regular league where Penn State goes 6-6 every year :yeshaha:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Penn State has only gone 6-6 once ever, so that seems like something to not worry about

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

General Dog posted:

I like that people think that the interests who took- conservative estimate- 30 years to settle on a playoff format are going to agree on and coordinate the dissolution and re-forging of the SEC and Big Ten within our lifetimes.
Is it in those hands anymore? Sure seems like it's more up to Disney and Fox these days, aka folks who live their life a quarter year at a time.

I mean yeah it's not getting hammered out by the end of June with implementation in 2025, but I think the BCS era sticks in the mud are sidelined or dead now.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

hobbesmaster posted:

Again from copperhead road:

I grew up in Lexington and had actually been warned a couple of times not to go off the beaten track in the mountains. With tobacco dying supposedly marijuana was the biggest cash crop and well, you best be mindin your own business.

My dad knew some guys who had a massive grow op in Myakka in the ‘80s. One of their guys went out on his boat from Cortez to sell some one night and never came back. :iiam:

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

General Dog posted:

Who needs to coordinate? Networks just need to whisper "hey, a super conference without the the chaff is worth an extra $10 million per team and the B1G and SEC are dead in no time. We've seen proof that schools have no loyalty to conferences/other schools if there's dollars involved and that networks aren't afraid to help the process along.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

I would be wary predicting anything about networks and money when ESPN in particular gets the bulk of its money from cable fees, and all of them get revenue from ads, which can be really volatile in pricing. Part of what they have been doing lately has been spending trying to solidify content to retain audience, and what happened with the Pac 12 on their negotiations could well be everyone next time. The irony is that the bigger programs have fewer issues as long as they can keep selling tickets in 100k seat stadiums.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/KirkHerbstreit/status/1754218782548193712?ref_src=

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Huh how the hell did they get Florida State to go to Ireland

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Adun posted:

Huh how the hell did they get Florida State to go to Ireland

With not one but two big bags full of money and Guinness.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Sorry Huskies

https://twitter.com/dubduphuskies/status/1753962976577810540?s=19

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”
BoB expected to take over at BC from what the Ohio state beat seems to think. Early replacements names being floated are somehow chip loving Kelly, Brian Johnson, Jason Candle, and Tommy Rees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
rooting for koach kliffy k to take over for maximum comedy