Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

M_Gargantua posted:

I don’t think the more power part is required. That would be silly.

I agree. I think turning the world of magic upside-down is the mere idea Serie can be defeated in any way. Every mage is like nah it's impossible you can't it's impenetrable... like did you even try tho or you just take the word of this lame-o proctor and his ilk? Upside-down is a new age of magical research: a new age of magical imagination now that what was thought impossible is possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
When you get right down to it, Serie's existence probably does do a lot to reduce the amount of magical research humans do themselves. The question is whether she's doing that on purpose.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
In the end, it’s still humans working on the logic of their own race.
An elf breaking the barrier of another elf isn’t that outlandish. Given the circumstance that they already knew eachother.

Kraft could probably break the barrier by just punching it, because he probably is that alpha

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Serie is surprised Frieren can do it. The show has told us through both dialogue and through actual scenes that the amount of mana does not mean you are going to win automatically. She has told us before that she has lost to 11 people, including 8 humans. She has also told us in the first episode that she trains Fern that long range magic has three components essential to mages (which extrapolated means magic in general):

1. The amount of mana
2. The strength at which it is fired
3. The level of control the mage has of the mana

The reason why Fern is so exceptional, and by an extension Frieren is number 3. Combine that with 1 and 2, she was able to break the barrier. Number 3 is what is shocking and is what is turning the current world upside down. Fern and Frieren are both freaks of nature when it comes to control.

Even the fight between the girls and Richter shows why control is so important. Strength means nothing without control.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Also Frieren spent like literally twenty-four straight hours figuring out how to do it when nobody else bothered to try, which I honestly think is way more important.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I'm curious if they will ever tell us how long Serie has been a mage. Or how old she and Frieren are.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I'm curious if they will ever tell us how long Serie has been a mage. Or how old she and Frieren are.
From what's been said about her, I assume Serie's from the Godess' era, so definitely older than Frieren.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Mordja posted:

From what's been said about her, I assume Serie's from the Godess' era, so definitely older than Frieren.

Oh for sure- but I'm just curious if she's been around since humans were basically Neanderthals or something.I figure that Frieren is at least a few hundred years old by the time she starts training under Flamme but it's all just theorizing.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Does Serie do anything other than sit on that stone chair? Looks uncomfortable

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It does seem kind of relevant that Serie's been sitting in the same chair in the same room for a thousand years and hasn't even changed the curtains.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rand Brittain posted:

It does seem kind of relevant that Serie's been sitting in the same chair in the same room for a thousand years and hasn't even changed the curtains.

Little do you know she used the "find the perfect curtains" spell 5000 years ago and she really likes those.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Obviously Serie knows a ton of spells that Frieren doesn't, but I wonder how many spells Frieren knows that Serie doesn't.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

She probably knows some goofy folk magic spells like making shaved ice.

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!

GateOfD posted:

Does Serie do anything other than sit on that stone chair? Looks uncomfortable

It's fine, she knows "Making stone furniture feel like a plush pillow" magic

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Kibibit posted:

It's either that or she pushes past the pain to be totally extra.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
It's not about caster's mana vs breaker's mana.

It's [amount of mana the caster put into the barrier] vs breaker's mana.

If its a long lasting barrier spell it probably also has some trick where the barrier feeds on mana thrown at it and frieren broke it by working out the right places to tap it to shatter the whole thing like a huge tempered glass dome.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
One of things that came up in the episode that wasn't brought up here as much is them being explicit about the back and forth of offensive vs. defensive magic. One of the interesting things is about how it is totally possible to make more complex and powerful defensive magic that isn't such a drain, but the offset in that was the amount of time it'd take to cast instead because it'd be finer or more exact I guess. The current wave in magic is elemental control because it's meant to overwhelm typical defensive magic that's built against pure magic or magical creatures but is also strong enough against warriors (though I'm sure there's limits to it when it comes to people as strong as Himmel, Eisen, or Stark). Frieren and Fern just have so much mana and mana control that they can overcome that sort of disadvantage.

These longer lasting spells probably operate on a different principle/offset than normally cast magic such that they don't need to a mage to actively supply it. In exchange for being very strong or specifically limiting without that active mana consumption, it probably requires more complexity or length in casting, maybe a major initial deposit of mana with a way for it to absorb ambient mana, or some other solution. The effect of Frieren breaking it, in my mind, isn't about sheer brute force or finesse to shatter it, but a counterspell code dump in one fat packet that just breaks the thing

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
lol @ Fern being mad at Stark when he stays up late though

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

GateOfD posted:

lol @ Fern being mad at Stark when he stays up late though

Stark with that married couple energy talking about how great it is without Fern around in-between his bouts of crippling loneliness.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
stark has a literal battle-axe, but it isn't the old battle-axe he's always complaining about

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

The bartender being the kind of stereotypical anime bartender complete with the voice was a fun gag too.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jerkface posted:

The bartender being the kind of stereotypical anime bartender complete with the voice was a fun gag too.

Big "that's rough, buddy" energy

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

GateOfD posted:

Kraft could probably break the barrier by just punching it, because he probably is that alpha
And then he'd ask if anyone has a creampuff.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Kibibit posted:

If Fern gets to be a 1st Class, this is what she should ask for. Or a spell to make condiments for her hamburgers.

What spell would any of you want? I'd like a spell that keeps carpets clean and fresh without vacuuming or shampooing.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
It seems like the author has put a lot of thought into how magical research and development works in this world, and I love to see them expand on it. Things like the flying spell being something that the humans know how to use it but not how it works is interesting and has all sorts of fun implications.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Talorat posted:

It seems like the author has put a lot of thought into how magical research and development works in this world, and I love to see them expand on it. Things like the flying spell being something that the humans know how to use it but not how it works is interesting and has all sorts of fun implications.

flight spell was compiled without debugging symbols making it harder to reverse engineer

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Doodles posted:

If Fern gets to be a 1st Class, this is what she should ask for. Or a spell to make condiments for her hamburgers.

What spell would any of you want? I'd like a spell that keeps carpets clean and fresh without vacuuming or shampooing.

A spell to stop me from being tired in the morning. Or one that cures back-ache.

I think the perfect capstone to the arc would be Fern asking for one of those kinds of convenient folk spells that Frieren and her go around collecting and Serie having to admit she doesn't know it because she only knows "important" spells people put in books.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I would get a spell that moves salt from the outside of pasta to the inside so the times I forget to salt the pasta water aren't so disappointing. Actually I'd probably get a spell which repairs stuff because owning a house is mostly repairing stuff and replacing stuff that can't be repaired.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
spell to always get a 5* unit when I roll in a gacha

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Spell that automatically cleans my cat’s litter box

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

A spell to arbitrarily turbocharge my metabolism so I can eat snacks without getting fat.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Doodles posted:

Hangover cure. Or better yet a spell that will prevent hangovers from happening in the first place

Super Jay Mann posted:

A spell to arbitrarily turbocharge my metabolism so I can eat snacks without getting fat.

poo poo poo poo lemme change my answer...

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Super Jay Mann posted:

ding ding ding, we have a winner.

Obligatory elf reaction: wait, you need a spell for that??? :smug:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I wish for a spell that grants me more spell wishes

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

SpartanIvy posted:

I wish for a spell that grants me more spell wishes

Serie seems to be the kind of elf to answer that with "oh sure, I have one of those spells you can wish for right here" and then hit you with a magic equivalent of tactical nuke.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
1. Denken rolling in with that peakaboo style upper.

2. Kanne used Surf. It was super effective.

Why dis show so good?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Y'know thinking about it more I think the spell that I'd really want from Frieren is that basic-rear end levitation spell that every mage seems to know. It'd be very handy around the house and other places.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

Lt. Lizard posted:

Serie seems to be the kind of elf to answer that with "oh sure, I have one of those spells you can wish for right here" and then hit you with a magic equivalent of tactical nuke.

Serie gives more energy of reaching into a bag and flipping the bird with a smug face to me.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Super Jay Mann posted:

Spell that regenerates your donut after you take a bite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
With the guy with eyes that bind, and Fern with eyes that see thru clothes. Guess that’s another category of magic with gun, elemental, and mystic eyes.

Get Stark some mystic eyes of death perception