Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
hmmmm
1st Gen
2nd Gen
3rd Gen
Goku
View Results

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
absolutely the best single since the feels and might be the best English single overall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Cavauro posted:

jeongyeon kicks rear end generally

I do find something symbolic in Jihyo taking a step back and letting the members do their thing in this particular song. To my ears, it sounds like she goes in really hard towards the end to sing one of the last choruses, with Nayeon harmonizing with her, and has a part where she finishes a verse after Sana a little earlier. But yeah, Jungers ending the track is kinda affecting. I enjoyed the lyrics :3:

[edit] I've always been partial towards Jeongyeon's vocals. She sounds so good on I Got You.

teagone fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Feb 2, 2024

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwPjD-jFsls

they really gave it one take and barely made it through :lol:

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Bottom Liner posted:

lmao

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

Best group, lol.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I made a comment about Jihyo's smaller part in I GOT YOU on twitter earlier... guess I shouldn't have done that! :haw: My intial reaction after watching the MV and listening to the song was to attribute something positive behind Jihyo only having part of a verse and singing the chorus near the end; I felt like it was emblematic of her being a good leader—kind of like she's taking a step back and putting the members before herself to ensure they get to shine throughout the song since she had her solo debut several months ago, something like that.

Someone on twitter took this completely the wrong way, and I either got bombarded by crazy kpop stans who are super sensitive about line distribution and despise JYPE for doing the members dirty, or I was being yelled at by possibly one person with a bunch of burner accounts who replied to all the messages of me trying to explain what I meant lol. I noticed a lot of the same twitter accounts liking a bunch of the replies hassling my tweet/replies, so maybe it could be bots too? Lol.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
How much are twice really in control of line distribution? I feel like in a perfect world they would be letting others have more lines but the cynic within me keeps saying it’s all decided by higher ups or the producers

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah the parts are already written out and rarely changed in recording time just for efficiency. And with 9 members it’s always going to be hard to get close to equal.

But your real mistake was saying anything on twitter!

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Sometimes line distributions can be reworked for the stage.

IIRC BTS's Spring Day got reworked so J-Hope had solo lines in the live performances when he was just harmonizing on the album track. Similarly, Jin didn't have a single solo line in the album track for Blood Sweat and Tears until that got reworked for the live performances.

And yeah stan culture can go die in a fire.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Line distribution varies a lot based on the company. The groups old enough and big enough that they likely have some amount of input on it at this point though. Some behind the scenes stuff I see has the distribution just hard assigned, sometimes there's some stuff that's picked based on how the member sounds or other reasons (like overall line distribution), etc. Sometimes you'll see someone push to get a certain type of part. Unless they come out and talk about it there's no real way to know though.

That all said, the mistake of course was talking on twitter at all, and mentioning line distribution at all.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

If you read enough posts every single company is specifically targeting every single idol for mistreatment especially as compared to the other group members, it's pretty amusing. I knew it was a mistake but couldn't resist tapping the glass and got into it with someone pissed off at HYBE because there was so much 4-member Sserafim content recorded while Chaewon was sick and seemingly could not process the information that these things sort of happen when someone has to miss the first week of their US debut and they have a full schedule including a day at conde nast

it's funny because the basic idea of advocating for your fave workers against their management is broadly a sound one but they just push it past absurdity

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhmzKgaoLX0

I Got You live clip

Development
Jun 2, 2016

idk what’s wrong with me but I think the new Twice song is Just Fine and not an ear worm. Super Lady on the other hand…

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

not sure mina says a single word lol. reminds me of this one of the better fan edits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql8RQMZpZw0

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Didn’t even catch last night that the two members looking out of the ship at the storm are Mina and Jeongyeon, then they both go back to the group and the happy warm scenes. Man. 🫠

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

But your real mistake was saying anything on twitter!

Lesson learned. This was my first real brush with any kind of kpop fandom toxcity and I found it pretty amusing; it wasn't like a ton of engagement or anything, but it was enough to make me be like "wow ok, I'll just shut the gently caress up then I guess" lol.

ZypherIM posted:

That all said, the mistake of course was talking on twitter at all, and mentioning line distribution at all.

Yeah I dunno, I didn't even directly mention line distribution, but I do suppose I worded my tweet just poorly enough to get a handful of kpop stans angry and spin my tweet negatively using that angle:

Though It does look like a lot of users engaging with my tweet speak a different language/are from a different country, so maybe something got lost in translation lol. Either way, I guess it's hard to articulate what I meant on Twitter; I just wanted to say something positive about Jihyo being a good leader, lol. All this has done is show me how accurate that whole "I like pancakes/so you hate waffles" thing on twitter is, lmao.

Bottom Liner posted:

Didn’t even catch last night that the two members looking out of the ship at the storm are Mina and Jeongyeon, then they both go back to the group and the happy warm scenes. Man. 🫠

It was that kind of subtext in the MV that had me feel like Jihyo's small part in the song could have some kind of meaningful attachment to her role as the group's leader, lol. But I guess that sort of speculative nuance is just too hard to pick up on for kpop stans, so their brains immediately take it as a slight instead.

[edit] I won't muck up the thread with anymore about this, but I just want to share my favorite interaction:

teagone fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 2, 2024

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
kpop stans on any social media platform are all completely insane and its best to have a strict do not interact policy with them

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

TripleS released an instrumental album with all 31 of their tracks so far. They have killer production so this rules.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

that insane twitter person reminds me of all the youtube shorts with a bot reading off really messed up stuff that netizens were supposedly saying somewhere about any particular kpop idol. i wonder if the ridiculously over the top and misguided "protection" that some zealous fans push has come out of a messed up ebb and flow where both sides are toxic

actually i guess it's all the same people being tribal in a horrible way. anyway, amazing pre-release

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 2, 2024

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

TripleS released an instrumental album with all 31 of their tracks so far. They have killer production so this rules.

I went straight to the instrumental for Invincible since that's the only track I know and from the only subunit that I really enjoy. It's so awesome lol :allears:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I am in the "the twice track is pretty good, and the video is cute, but doesn't really blow me away" camp.

it is a tidy bpm range that i can remix at though, so maybe i'll play with a liquid dnb rework

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

New Twice is excellent Night Driving music

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I saw someone compare the vibes and sound of I GOT YOU to Take on Me by a-ha and I was like yes that 100% makes sense and probably why its sounds so good in the ear for me lol.

teagone fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 3, 2024

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Sick aerial view from the show in Mexico tonight. The smaller stadium above is the venue they played last time. Incredible.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0bhsN08k4s

TripleS Aria It’s Live. So good

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

Sick aerial view from the show in Mexico tonight. The smaller stadium above is the venue they played last time. Incredible.

This is awesome... but VCHA had to perform in front of that for their first concert? :stare: JYP throwin them into a trial by fire, lmao.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The crowd really went crazy for them and were chanting their name, so I think it was a great experience for them. A stadium full of Twice fans is almost assuredly going to be very kind to their newest juniors performing on a stage that big and show plenty of support. Definitely not like Kcon where when some groups perform half the arena sits down and acts bored…

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

The crowd really went crazy for them and were chanting their name, so I think it was a great experience for them. A stadium full of Twice fans is almost assuredly going to be very kind to their newest juniors performing on a stage that big and show plenty of support. Definitely not like Kcon where when some groups perform half the arena sits down and acts bored…

Oh, I wasn't thinking the crowd energy would be negative towards them anything. I felt from just looking at the photo that the sheer size of that crowd might be insanely overwhelming for the group lol. No doubt an enriching experience for them, but drat, that's gonna be crazy on the nerves for a first concert haha.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Definitely not like Kcon where when some groups perform half the arena sits down and acts bored…

Even that's nothing compared to award shows where stans used to deliberately turn off their lightsticks to have acts they hated appear to perform to no response.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

anakha posted:

Even that's nothing compared to award shows where stans used to deliberately turn off their lightsticks to have acts they hated appear to perform to no response.

Stan culture is so wild to me. I really only just realized how absurd "solo" stans are when I dropped that tweet of how I sorta felt Jihyo was being a selfless leader in I Got You, lmao. The amount of negative energy they seem to channel is hilarious.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

teagone posted:

Stan culture is so wild to me. I really only just realized how absurd "solo" stans are when I dropped that tweet of how I sorta felt Jihyo was being a selfless leader in I Got You, lmao. The amount of negative energy they seem to channel is hilarious.

So they just like Jihyo and not Twice?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

So they just like Jihyo and not Twice?

Yes. My tweet really upset this solo stan enough to where they labled me a "dumb ot9" lol:

Just, lmao:

There were several other of these sort of solo stans that had caught wind what I said the other day, but I only took a screenshot of the above tweets because I found them amusing. I didn't even know solo stanning was a thing.

teagone fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Feb 4, 2024

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

teagone posted:

There were several other of these sort of solo stans that had caught wind what I said the other day, but I only took a screenshot of the above tweets because I found them amusing. I didn't even know solo stanning was a thing.

I guess if you're going to parasocially latch onto any member the leader the makes the most sense but I'm sure there's people out there that think any member of Twice or any group is being 'held back.'

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

I’m in the Mexico City airport and saw so many people with twice shirts and hoodies and I had no idea they had a show this weekend. ☹️ I was here for a wedding

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaGsVrnH-5k

New Young Posse is fun, but I think it'd be a lot stronger without the guest rappers. Production is crazy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trYdczp82ZE

Yena japanese track going even harder in the rock sound. it slaps

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 4, 2024

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Bottom Liner posted:

Pink hair, guitar, Japanese rock music? Someone’s been watching Bocchi the Rock

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

This is so sick. Alt/pop j-rock concept suits Yena really well.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

teagone posted:

I didn't even know solo stanning was a thing.
There's even a Korean term for it: akgae

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

New Young Posse is fun, but I think it'd be a lot stronger without the guest rappers. Production is crazy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NhpUhRvBcQ

I was so right. I guess this was just a new version with the features?

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
new...<checks notes> ichillin?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOsDkqm52t8

Now i want some chicken.