Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Cage is really knocking it out of the park with these horror movies. I hope he sticks with the Genres and Ithink its possible he'll be thought of like Combs etc.. as being one of those great horror actors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but does anybody have any experience with Small Town Monsters' films? I just noticed this kickstarter for their new year of cryptid documentaries and was wondering if it's worth looking into.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Gripweed posted:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but does anybody have any experience with Small Town Monsters' films? I just noticed this kickstarter for their new year of cryptid documentaries and was wondering if it's worth looking into.

If Momo: The Missouri Monster is representative of the overall project, it's purely an excuse to do a series of dubiously-accurate stylized 'reenactments' of various stories, without any attempt whatsoever at persuading the audience. It's stupid, but in an amiable sort of way. Lots of padding, though.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I actually really enjoyed Piranha 78! All those crazy quick cuts made it feel like something filmed fifteen years later in a way. And wtf was that little stop-motion fish goblin thing at the start?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Gripweed posted:

I love them. They are fun goofy stuff and its so neat to see like lesser known cryptids actually get a chance to have a spotlight shine on them.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

is there a point where Skinamarink clicks/lands or should I just ditch it if I found the first 20 minutes painfully boring? I've tried to watch it twice now because people like it so much, but even though I'm down with arthouse stuff I feel like this movie is about as fun as watching paint dry.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

veni veni veni posted:

is there a point where Skinamarink clicks/lands or should I just ditch it if I found the first 20 minutes painfully boring? I've tried to watch it twice now because people like it so much, but even though I'm down with arthouse stuff I feel like this movie is about as fun as watching paint dry.

You got it

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
There is a bit more to it later on, but yeah if you're not vibing with it after 20 mins it won't be worth it.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Actually, 20 minutes in is around where they just loop the footage three more times to pad it out to feature length, but even most of the "fans" can't get that far so no one's noticed.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Skinamarink is not fun and never said it was.
If you're not feeling it after 20 minutes it's probably not for you. You have to let it get to you for it to be effective. It's all build up and tension with no release, so you have to let you imagination run wild with what might happen for it to be scary.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

veni veni veni posted:

It's not for the neurotypical, no.

Signed: A chemically imbalanced Lexapro gobbler who had Skinamarink as MOTY.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

You’re not strong enough to be skinamarink’d and that’s ok.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's a film, not a movie - you wouldn't get it...

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I loved Skinamarink but if you’re checked out 20 minutes in then it’s not going to do anything to win you back.

Us Marinkers are just built different.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Dementia (1955) whips and is on tubi

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Yeah, Dementia (1955) is fantastic, deserves a lot more recognition.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Nightmare Cinema posted:

It's not for the neurotypical, no.

Signed: A chemically imbalanced Lexapro gobbler who had Skinamarink as MOTY.

Im very nerodivergent and it didn’t work

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

I didn't like Skinamarink but ironically my brain is busted in a very specific way where I had to finish it anyway or I'd feel guilty all week.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Leatherhead posted:

I didn't like Skinamarink but ironically my brain is busted in a very specific way where I had to finish it anyway or I'd feel guilty all week.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Leatherhead posted:

haha felt absolutely plagued by this affliction when i watched They/Them

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

alf_pogs posted:

haha felt absolutely plagued by this affliction when i watched They/Them

Got excited thinking this would be about woke giant ants

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

goferchan posted:

Got excited thinking this would be about woke giant ants

I mean, they are a matriarchy.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Darthemed posted:

Yeah, Dementia (1955) is fantastic, deserves a lot more recognition.

Thirding, wouldnt have seen that one if not for Bracketology!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

married but discreet posted:

Thirding, wouldnt have seen that one if not for Bracketology!

Yup

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
They/Them or whatever it was called was loving terrible. Like goddamn just loving awful.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Hollismason posted:

They/Them or whatever it was called was loving terrible. Like goddamn just loving awful.

Just reading it's Wikipedia page has made me go "...yeah, pass on this one".

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Justin Godscock posted:

Just reading it's Wikipedia page has made me go "...yeah, pass on this one".

Same here. And regarding Skinimarink, it's a fine minimalist horror. It just didn't work for me because I never had that fear as a kid walking in the dark house at night. If my dog wasn't freaking out over anything, we're good.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I was really into Skinimarink but then it just went too dark visually. I couldn't see poo poo, and what you could see was not nearly as interesting as the shots when you could see. They must have run out of cool angles of the house or whatever. Being a little into photography those angles were what you look for when you're looking at buildings and such, so it was kinda cool to see someone doing it inside a house and making it creepy.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
As a Skinamarink lover, I think the first 30 mins or so aren't very indicative of how creepy it gets. It's only after the parents disappear did I start enjoying what it was doing, but it took a minute.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Joking aside, I did like Skinamarink OK, but you really do have to immerse yourself. I got the lights in my apartment as low as I could, but about 30 seconds in I could tell I needed absolutely no distractions. I actually delayed starting the movie because my wife was taking a shower and the distant sound of running water was too much ambient noise for me to accept because I needed to soak in the movie's sound design.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

watching it in theaters was truly an experience. the ambiance of the crowd's attention and tension was felt as the movie kept ramping and ramping and ramping. Just some real good poo poo there.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I watched History of the Occult this weekend based on thread recommendations and it kicked rear end.

There aren't a TON of reviews or breakdowns online so I was curious if anyone more familiar with Argentina could clarify a couple things:

Did they use any real-life politicians when mentioning all the members of Kingdom? I saw reviews online saying the movie hits harder if you lived through the 80s in Argentina, I wasn't sure if the names were real to really hammer that home.

Did Argentina go through a Satanic Panic similar to the one in the US? I appreciated the little twist of "Michelle Doesn't Remember Anything" being a book in that universe that covers up actual Satanic stuff to parallel our own "Michelle Remembers" starting off all that insanity.

Really fun movie, especially since I'm guessing it was pretty low budget. The ending kicked rear end and is going to stick with me for a while.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

dorium posted:

watching it in theaters was truly an experience. the ambiance of the crowd's attention and tension was felt as the movie kept ramping and ramping and ramping. Just some real good poo poo there.

I saw Skinamarink in a completely empty theatre, it was just me in the whole screening, and that is absolutely the way to see it, as impractical as it is.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I saw Skinamarink in a completely empty theatre, it was just me in the whole screening, and that is absolutely the way to see it, as impractical as it is.

I only ever saw one film completely alone in the theatre, and it was Halloween Resurrection.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I saw Resurrection in the theater twice and I still can't remember why the gently caress I did that.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

You guys seem Luz? Luz is pretty good.

Gary the Llama
Mar 16, 2007
SHIGERU MIYAMOTO IS MY ILLEGITIMATE FATHER!!!

Jedit posted:

I only ever saw one film completely alone in the theatre, and it was Halloween Resurrection.

For me it was the Texas Chain Saw remake a million years ago. That was fun.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I've done quite a few empty screenings, but that's just because of how my work hours go, the times it's easiest for me to go see a movie is wednesday or friday lunchtimes. Usually just me and the pensioners.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
The only movie I ever saw alone in a theater was Ernest Goes to Jail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Someone help me out here. I just finished rewatching 10 Cloverfield Lane and I don't remember the ending I just saw. At all. The ending I thought I remembered had a jet plane flying way above the clouds as it pans out to show the curvature of the earth, and then Cloverfield suddenly jumps through the clouds grabbing the plane and disappears with it back through the clouds and the credits rolled which was the only connection it had to the original movie and made you go "ah hah, theres the connection".

Was this maybe the original movie I'm thinking of? I absolutely do not remember the pickup truck ending with molotov cocktail ending I just saw.

I'm losing my mind. Seriously.