Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

LanceHunter posted:

Movies are dead. Look at the absolute desert that is the release schedule for 2024. At this point only Dunc 2 can hope to revive them.

new legacy artist coming

quote:

The Watchers (2024)

A young artist gets stranded in an extensive, immaculate forest in western Ireland, where, after finding shelter, she becomes trapped alongside three strangers, stalked by mysterious creatures each night.

Director
Ishana Shyamalan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Stink Billyums posted:

endless
[url]https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1753962540923588991[/url
this seems like a miscalculation
isn't it generally thought that these things only make money because they remind people of watching the originals? a prequel to the remake isn't going to have that unless it's a remake of a prequel to the orig

you know what, do what whatever you want, disney

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

sharknado slashfic posted:

Beekeeper was alright for what it was but I wouldn't have wanted to pay for it

It was worth a saturday afternoon watching with a friend and making fun of over lunch after

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Sydney Bottocks posted:

The funniest thing about Argylle is that it's supposedly an adaptation of the fourth book out of a series of books, none of which have been published yet IIRC, with a clearly manufactured "conspiracy theory" about how they were written by Taylor Swift under a pen name. Oh, and the director said "George Lucas started with Episode IV of Star Wars, and that worked out pretty well for him" when asked why he didn't just start with the first book in the series

Does anybody actually believe that about SW though

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

LanceHunter posted:

Movies are dead. Look at the absolute desert that is the release schedule for 2024. At this point only Dunc 2 can hope to revive them.
Oh boy! I cannot wait for the theatrical rerelease of Tenet!

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Stink Billyums posted:

new legacy artist coming

gently caress yeah

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

smug jeebus posted:

star wars did, in fact, start with episode 4

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

smug jeebus posted:

It seemed as though people believed it in the 90s. Then when the prequels happened it was abundantly clear that George Lucas had been lying to us the whole time. That said, I don't know how much of that realization has carried forward to the next generations. Kind of like how zoomers will think that the Plinkett reviews of the prequels were prescriptive: suggesting that people should hate the prequels, rather than descriptive: explaining why people did hate the prequels so much.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

star wars did, in fact, start with episode 4

Not if you watched the version with the original title crawl (which was quickly changed for all prints and home video editions that occurred right before Empire was released).

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
argyle seems very unimportant

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Outpost22 posted:

When are we gonna get a song of the south sequel/reboot?

January 21, 2025

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

LanceHunter posted:

Not if you watched the version with the original title crawl (which was quickly changed for all prints and home video editions that occurred right before Empire was released).

never heard of this. I was never under the impression that he'd written 3 prior movies, but i figured starting with "EPISODE IV" was a nod to the old serialized space operas he's clearly aping

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

The one bright spot on the horizon is Lisa Frankenstein. Not because I think it will be good. But because it is certain to be so terrible that the entire "Diablo Cody in an under-appreciated genius, actually" movement that seems to have been started by idiots who have vaguely fond memories of Jennifer's Body will immediately dissolve when everyone is reminded that she is pure, concentrated millennial cringe...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POOeA3zCuUY

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I saw Strange Days last night for the first time since I was a teenager. Surprisingly good! Maybe a little long, but good.

Then I watched The Stranger (the 2022 film on Netflix), which I really, really liked. The atmosphere in that movie was tense and spooky and goddamn sublime.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

never heard of this. I was never under the impression that he'd written 3 prior movies, but i figured starting with "EPISODE IV" was a nod to the old serialized space operas he's clearly aping

The rumor I'd heard as a kid, back in Ye Olden Tymes :corsair:, was that Lucas had written nine Star Wars movies, and being eager for more wars in the stars, we couldn't wait for him to make them all. Then one day, for some reason, the original Star Wars was now "Episode IV", and the other two movies were Episodes V and VI. We never got to see any of the other six movies from the rumored Lucas scripts, at least not until 1999; and after seeing the prequels, most of us (who'd gone from being starry-eyed children to cynical adults with jobs and bills) definitely thought that he really shouldn't have bothered.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

henkman posted:

It was worth a saturday afternoon watching with a friend and making fun of over lunch after

Did you notice when he called the lady to ask her to help him track down the office he gave her absolutely no information to go on and then hung up the phone, I liked that part

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Outpost22 posted:

When are we gonna get a song of the south sequel/reboot?

Zippity-2-da.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Mufasa's backstory: once upon a time, there was a lion. There were also other animals.

billymumphrey
Mar 2, 2022

LanceHunter posted:

The one bright spot on the horizon is Lisa Frankenstein. Not because I think it will be good. But because it is certain to be so terrible that the entire "Diablo Cody in an under-appreciated genius, actually" movement that seems to have been started by idiots who have vaguely fond memories of Jennifer's Body will immediately dissolve when everyone is reminded that she is pure, concentrated millennial cringe...

Am I right that the director of this is another in the long line of legacy artists?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

billymumphrey posted:

Am I right that the director of this is another in the long line of legacy artists?

Sure enough...

quote:

Zelda Rae Williams is an American actress, director, producer, and writer. She is the daughter of actor and comedian Robin Williams and film producer and philanthropist Marsha Garces Williams. As a voice actress, she is best known for voicing Kuvira in the Nickelodeon cartoon The Legend of Korra.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Sir Lemming posted:

Mufasa's backstory: once upon a time, there was a lion. There were also other animals.

i will not be at all surprised if they attempt to needlessly explain how an animal monarchy came to be established for the nitpickers who complain about anything short of complete verisimilitude in their childrens films. explaining the unexplainworthy seems to be their idea of writing

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
excited to see all of Scar’s trauma

so I can really understand

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

dreezy posted:

i will not be at all surprised if they attempt to needlessly explain how an animal monarchy came to be established for the nitpickers who complain about anything short of complete verisimilitude in their childrens films. explaining the unexplainworthy seems to be their idea of writing

Also gotta throw Mufasa a tragic origin story so he can be sympathetic in the prequel, but not too sympathetic that we permit his later murders. Helluva balancing act

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Endless Trash posted:

Also gotta throw Mufasa a tragic origin story so he can be sympathetic in the prequel, but not too sympathetic that we permit his later murders. Helluva balancing act

that’s Scar

Mufasa is the dad

even rich evans knows that

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

trilobite terror posted:

that’s Scar

Mufasa is the dad

even rich evans knows that

[Gripweedishly] oh sorry I don’t memorize every detail of some lame rear end kids movie for babies who like baby things!

Now can we please discuss madame Webb and how good it’s gonna be?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Endless Trash posted:

[Gripweedishly] oh sorry I don’t memorize every detail of some lame rear end kids movie for babies who like baby things!

I hear she’s so dynamic!

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Endless Trash posted:

she has really interesting powers!

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Did you notice when he called the lady to ask her to help him track down the office he gave her absolutely no information to go on and then hung up the phone, I liked that part

I liked that, too. Crowd favorite for our theater was the musical sting during the reveal of the president

Movie was pretty dense with stupid poo poo, it was fun

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
gotta do a Beekeeper/Beekeeper double feature

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I was embarrassingly far into Beekeeper before I realized the organization was called Beekeepers. I just thought it was some in-universe joke that people who keep bees are extremely dangerous

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Endless Trash posted:

I was embarrassingly far into Beekeeper before I realized the organization was called Beekeepers. I just thought it was some in-universe joke that people who keep bees are extremely dangerous

It's v stupid to be fair

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

The rumor I'd heard as a kid, back in Ye Olden Tymes :corsair:, was that Lucas had written nine Star Wars movies, and being eager for more wars in the stars, we couldn't wait for him to make them all. Then one day, for some reason, the original Star Wars was now "Episode IV", and the other two movies were Episodes V and VI. We never got to see any of the other six movies from the rumored Lucas scripts, at least not until 1999; and after seeing the prequels, most of us (who'd gone from being starry-eyed children to cynical adults with jobs and bills) definitely thought that he really shouldn't have bothered.

I had heard that as a kid too and I’m fairly certain Lucas originally was doing the aping old timey serials things but then in his head decided that no he was planning to do 9 all along and then cranked out the prequels as the first tranche. It’s like an urban legend becoming real in some weird way.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

LanceHunter posted:

Young Adult was great

David Richardson
May 19, 2007

Wouldn't it just be the case that you call to ask permission before sending the details over by other means? Why would you read out everything you have over the phone rather than sending it in written, encrypted form?

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

David Richardson posted:

Wouldn't it just be the case that you call to ask permission before sending the details over by other means? Why would you read out everything you have over the phone rather than sending it in written, encrypted form?

There's literally no connection between the person he's talking to and the organization he's trying to find. They're a scam outfit for olds not the NSA. Plus he's using a magic Beekeeper phone. In context it's just a funny oversight.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

priznat posted:

I had heard that as a kid too and I’m fairly certain Lucas originally was doing the aping old timey serials things but then in his head decided that no he was planning to do 9 all along and then cranked out the prequels as the first tranche. It’s like an urban legend becoming real in some weird way.

I’m almost certain Lucas said the “I wrote 9 movies” lie in the interviews that appeared on the final VHS release of the original version of the original trilogy. I think the rumor had started before then, but he himself was likely the originator of it.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
he said 12 movies at least once

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

https://x.com/Sgtzima/status/1753849911202689407

(Tweet links to this video: )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGPHy3yWE08

Probably the funniest thing about the video is realizing how many people ITT have fallen for blatant "no CGI" lies from studios. The part where he shows that there were more practical elements in the big Avengers: Endgame finale than there were in the Top Gun: Maverick flight scenes was particularly amusing.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

I’m sure that’s part of it but I’m fully willing to believe Lucas had a basic outline of “a space republic falling and becoming an empire” napkin scribbling as part of his Star Wars concept. Not likely anything like what we actually got though of course

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I'm betting someone sarcastically looked at the first star wars script and was like "This is a boring pos are you writing one star wars movie or nine here" and he was all "Hey, yeah, I'm actually writing nine movies" and then his ex wife cut out a third of his bullshit and it was suddenly pretty good