Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Phew now we know he's staying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Hey with the way Cody's booking and that WWE thinks being in WWE should be enough to get Okada not more money I'm sure we are going to see a lot of jumps soon. Honest!

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

If he stays he’s an idiot

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Drew 100% has to be looking at this and how his title run got treated and really thinking about leaving

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

NienNunb posted:

If he stays he’s an idiot

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The crowd still reacts to the Acclaimed's shtick, so Tony's gonna turn Bullet Club heel again and milk it until it's bone dry. Whereas the bigger risk but possibly bigger reward is turning the Acclaimed heel and seeing if the Bang Bang Gang as faces can actually do something. I mean, they sell shirts as heels already, think about how many foam 'Gold Member' fingers you can sell as faces.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Not a bad idea actually. I can see The Acclaimed doing mostly the same stuff except being annoying as gently caress and making the crowd wants to see them get their asses kicked. They'd be good heels imo

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Benne posted:

Maybe I'm out to lunch but I think Ricky has been pushed just fine. Upper midcard/tag team champion feels about the proper level for him.

His problem is the same problem as every other top-ish guy -- just freakin wrestle more and stop disappearing for weeks on end.

You'd think they would have managed to not let the tag team champions disappear in the supposed tag team company

Some of it is outside their control, they were probably (?) going to lose to Omega and Jericho, and by god Tony isn't about to start pivoting now

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Jackie D posted:

You'd think they would have managed to not let the tag team champions disappear in the supposed tag team company

Some of it is outside their control, they were probably (?) going to lose to Omega and Jericho, and by god Tony isn't about to start pivoting now

Have you seen the match scheduled for Dynamite next week?

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

They've been champions for four months

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Big Bill and Ricky Starks are just...not the best tag team. Rick Starks isn't even the best former member of Team Taz that Big Bill has had as a tag partner.
As tag champs they disappeared because the tag division has been mostly torn apart outside of FTR. (and now the Young Bucks are back but that came after the fact).

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yes and the guys they were gonna lose to got taken down by injury so now they're losing to different guys.

How is that not a pivot in every sense.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Like in case you're not clear on what happened here.

FTR didn't wanna do the job to the Bucks.
So they jobbed to Ricky and Big Cass.
Ricky and Big Cass were gonna lose to the Golden Jets. Then Omega got injured.
So Le Sex God's were gonna challenge Ricky and Big Cass.
I dumno if Le Sex Gods were ever gonna win but they certainly weren't after Jericho got accused of Weinsteining, so they dumped that match to Battle of the Belts.
So now Sting and Darby are challenging and ate almost certainly gonna win.

And maybe they'll lose to the Bucks or Sting will retire undefeated.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Jay White should never ever work face even more than MJF should have never worked face.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Ricky/Big Bill are not even the best AEW tag teams either of them have been in.

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

Having the Golden Jets as long term tag team champions would have sent me straight to the ninth layer

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Gumball Gumption posted:

Jay White should never ever work face even more than MJF should have never worked face.

I'll let that one slide for now because it's a Ruse™

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

fawning deference posted:

I can see The Acclaimed doing mostly the same stuff except being annoying as gently caress and making the crowd wants to see them get their asses kicked.

This is already how I've felt about the Acclaimed ever since I started watching this crap in 2022 and the eternal babyface reactions they get have driven me insane

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

apophenium posted:

This is already how I've felt about the Acclaimed ever since I started watching this crap in 2022 and the eternal babyface reactions they get have driven me insane

Me too actually, that's why it's easy to imagine. All they do is come out to the ring and talk about scissoring and 69ing and they have failed to be anything other than an obnoxious novelty. They should be heels imo

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Jay actually has the potential to be an amazing babyface. Some his post match lose promo's in New Japan had a vulnerability to them that people thought would lead to a baby face turn and I think it'd be a great arc in AEW and hey could lead to a match against *ignores David Finley* Gabe kidd at Forbidden Door!

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
The Jay White Chaos run was very fun

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

That DICK! posted:

Ricky is gonna feud nia jax and lose

this is your one joke

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7JZBJ37Icg

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

NienNunb posted:

Ricky/Big Bill are not even the best AEW tag teams either of them have been in.

if we add Brian Cage we'd have the best trios team of all time

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

This subs obsession with watching the best heels to ever do it and going "yeah but they got a babyface run in em and they'll sell like five more tshirts when they do it. Can't leave that money on the table"

Goblin Queen
Mar 6, 2006

Goblin deez nuts amirite ladies?

fawning deference posted:

Me too actually, that's why it's easy to imagine. All they do is come out to the ring and talk about scissoring and 69ing and they have failed to be anything other than an obnoxious novelty. They should be heels imo

They're like the third best obnoxious sex joke team in the company, if that.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gumball Gumption posted:

This subs obsession with watching the best heels to ever do it and going "yeah but they got a babyface run in em and they'll sell like five more tshirts when they do it. Can't leave that money on the table"

I find Tony Khan jumping through increasingly elaborate hoops to try and deaden babyface reactions to heels who are getting hot much worse, tbh

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Which is why the ideal move is to just let them do their poo poo. If your audience is cheering for scumbag poo poo you just let them enjoy it instead of taking it as a sign that another one of the best heels to ever do it has to turn babyface. The audience loves an act and can't stop cheering for it? Lets gently caress it all up.

Violence is the top babyface of the promotion and they need to figure that out.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 4, 2024

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gumball Gumption posted:

Which is why the ideal move is to just let them do their poo poo. If your audience is cheering for scumbag poo poo you just let them enjoy it instead of taking it as a sign that another one of the best heels to ever do it has to turn babyface. The audience loves an act and can't stop cheering for it? Lets gently caress it all up.

Half of that 'scumbag poo poo' in both cases we're talking about is cheap-rear end poo poo talking about the local market. It's way easier to get the wrestler to just stop that versus hoping every single audience has enough ironic assholes in it to pop ironically for being called loser fuckface nerds.

(The interminable dragging out of the Devil reveal is what killed MJF as a face, not him turning in the first place. If Cole hadn't gotten hurt and they'd been able to play it out with him more involved/pulled the trigger earlier, it wouldn't have been nearly as bad. Plus Tony should maybe learn to say no to Max's instincts sometimes. )

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 4, 2024

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Gumball Gumption posted:

The thing is if you have a top heel act being cheered it makes it real hard for a baby face to get over and get cheers and can undercut them and you really, really don't want that. Now given modern fans and booking sensibilities it's a lot easier to work around that now than in the past but it's still something you need to look out for and if a top heel act is getting nothing but cheers you probably want them facing heels more of often than not

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Anyway the Acclaimed are now a Bullet Club sub group and now are the worst cause seeing them live got me to get House of Torture

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
thinking about how tony had to make a 4th mens single title for eddie kingston since he wouldnt book him to win any of the other aew singles titles

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

KungFu Grip posted:

thinking about how tony had to make a 4th mens single title for eddie kingston since he wouldnt book him to win any of the other aew singles titles

I don't think that's why he did it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Tiny’s a belt mark. If he had it his way, every jobber in the company would have a strap. You’d see jabronies like Sucky T tooled up… and hell… many here would hoot and holler.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Pylons posted:

I don't think that's why he did it.

its absolutely a 4th tier consolation prize and i like eddie. he's never gonna win the world title and if he was gonna he could have/should have held the tnt or international title by now

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
C2 basically saved this company from going straight in the dumpster, who cares if it added a mildly superfluous belt.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

KungFu Grip posted:

its absolutely a 4th tier consolation prize and i like eddie. he's never gonna win the world title and if he was gonna he could have/should have held the tnt or international title by now

I think Eddie wanted to cosplay Kawada.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

MJeff posted:

C2 basically saved this company from going straight in the dumpster, who cares if it added a mildly superfluous belt.

Ya but it didn't even need a belt and when it was we were all confused

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

poo poo talking the idea of giving a trophy to a tournament is the AEW Hell thread poo poo I love

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

magiccarpet posted:

Ya but it didn't even need a belt and when it was we were all confused

It needed somethin' for the person who wins, otherwise why does anybody in the tournament give a gently caress.