Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

For her friend who has a crush on her cousin, it is like 2nd cousin or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

GateOfD posted:

Cousin relationships aren’t particularly taboo in most non-Anglosphere places.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Silver2195 posted:

Cousin relationships aren’t particularly taboo in most non-Anglosphere places.

In some places, they're the predominant form of relationship, which does come with some consequences regarding genetic disorders.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

GateOfD posted:

Umm I don’t think it’s her cousin. Pretty sure the two boys are cousins.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
going from watching wrong way to use healing magic to solo leveling gave me whiplash from the brutality/gore

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Fru Fru posted:

Umm I don’t think it’s her cousin. Pretty sure the two boys are cousins.

He's Itsu's cousin, yes.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
High Card is taking its story slowly enough that you’d think there’d be a third season…but this episode also reminded us of the January deadline for the coronation approaching (it’s already mid-December), so maybe not?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Finally cracked open Useless Tamer and Undead Adventurer. The former is a bit sad, but it is a bit of a change of pace from the other isekai where the past life is more like an extra voice chiming in, and also not all that helpful all things considered. There's no hints of overpowered abilities as of yet. More just struggling to survive. It's downright refreshing almost. Undead Adventurer otoh, does seem to be slowly going towards the eventually powerful direction, but more because the MC how has a growth hack by being a monster at the expense of...being a monster. Only through episodes 1 of each, but I've the read the scanalations of the manga so I'm more watching to see what's different and if they improve on it with the animation in some way. For example, there was not enough goofy skeleton antics in Undead Adventurer (but there wasn't much in the source material either fwiw)

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Xelkelvos posted:

Finally cracked open Useless Tamer and Undead Adventurer. The former is a bit sad, but it is a bit of a change of pace from the other isekai where the past life is more like an extra voice chiming in, and also not all that helpful all things considered. There's no hints of overpowered abilities as of yet. More just struggling to survive. It's downright refreshing almost. Undead Adventurer otoh, does seem to be slowly going towards the eventually powerful direction, but more because the MC how has a growth hack by being a monster at the expense of...being a monster. Only through episodes 1 of each, but I've the read the scanalations of the manga so I'm more watching to see what's different and if they improve on it with the animation in some way. For example, there was not enough goofy skeleton antics in Undead Adventurer (but there wasn't much in the source material either fwiw)

I loved his first fight with a skeleton. Him bumbling around because his sword was too heavy for his bony arms was legit funny as hell. Ditto for the skeleton trying to out put his leg back on.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Still watching Pon no Michi and something I didn't know was that it's apparently a shoujo series. Or at least, the manga that got released shortly before the anime started is running in a shoujo magazine. It's still a mahjong themed SoL series, but it's a slightly interesting thing about it. It also already has a spin-off manga published in a Seinen (online) magazine which seems more appropriate.

Meanwhile, in It's Time for "Torture" Princess

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

it can join code geass as confirmed shoujo anime

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I'm catching up with anime and just finished The Foolish Angel Dances with the Devil, Villainess Level 99, and The Witch and the Beast.

I'm going to keep watching, but if I -really- had to drop one, it'd probably be The Foolish Angel Dances with the Devil. I love their, "How do I make the other love me?" drama, but holy poo poo, the Angel was so mean to the Devil in the first episode. I felt so sorry for the poor bastard I almost didn't give the second episode a chance to make her less of a complete monster. Thank goodness for boredom and waiting rooms with WiFi.

Villainess Level 99 is fun. I face the "My Happy Marriage" dilemma of flipping off the screen at jerks who are always belittling the FMC. It's like, "Bitch, she could crush you and she doesn't, she just wants to be left alone, gently caress off."

I don't see it talked about much here, but The Witch and the Beast is NICE. Animated nicely, drawn nicely, voice-acted nicely, and the story is NICE; everything is amazing.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Yea I was really turned off with how mean she was in episode 1, but episode 2 seemed more balanced

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Xelkelvos posted:

Still watching Pon no Michi and something I didn't know was that it's apparently a shoujo series. Or at least, the manga that got released shortly before the anime started is running in a shoujo magazine. It's still a mahjong themed SoL series, but it's a slightly interesting thing about it. It also already has a spin-off manga published in a Seinen (online) magazine which seems more appropriate.

too bad it doesn't seem to be on crunchyroll or hidive

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Oh nobody licensed Pon no Michi, they all decided the asking price wasn't worth it for a show with such niche appeal.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Pan Dulce posted:

I'm going to keep watching, but if I -really- had to drop one, it'd probably be The Foolish Angel Dances with the Devil. I love their, "How do I make the other love me?" drama, but holy poo poo, the Angel was so mean to the Devil in the first episode. I felt so sorry for the poor bastard I almost didn't give the second episode a chance to make her less of a complete monster. Thank goodness for boredom and waiting rooms with WiFi.
the tonal whiplash in Stupid Angel are wild, and each introduced antagonistic character gets progressively more malicious/cruel/insane, and then they literally just do this ProZD skit every time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeYIlET3szA

it's still good tho

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Based on discussions of High Card elsewhere, I may have misunderstood some things. Everyone seems to think that the Black Knight and San Galgano are the same entity, which I guess is less complicated than the alternatives. Also, apparently it was Iris Moyes rather than Burst who killed Bobby Ball - it's confusing because they look so similar. Or are they the same person too?

Also, I'm pretty sure 7 episodes aren't enough to cover everything. There's still the 12 unrevealed cards, the fights against the remaining Klondike members, the gathering of the cards not in Klondike's or Pinochle's hands yet, the payoff to Finn's doubts about whether Pinochle are doing the right thing, Tilt's motivations, what Iris Moyes has to do with everything, what really happened with the cards in ancient times (and the nature of the Black Knight), and probably other plot threads I've forgotten.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yes Yumelia, what if? :3

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Synthbuttrange posted:

Yes Yumelia, what if? :3

Worried about the lifespan of that student with the dead mom braid.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

oh good, its lv99 day.
gonna watch that after i finish today's time for torture episode

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Pan Dulce posted:

I don't see it talked about much here, but The Witch and the Beast is NICE. Animated nicely, drawn nicely, voice-acted nicely, and the story is NICE; everything is amazing.

Yeah, its pretty good so far. Its probably not gonna end up being a particularly deep show, but its still an entertaining watch.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I dig it, it's a fairly unique fantasy world (even if the tech seems to swing between first half of the 20th century and straight up modern day) and it's got cool magic.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Kwyndig posted:

Oh nobody licensed Pon no Michi, they all decided the asking price wasn't worth it for a show with such niche appeal.

:smith:

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Eh no big loss, it's extremely mediocre.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Despite this being the era with CR, HD, D+, and Netflix grabbing every license they can just to keep the other guy from having it, there are shows still so mid that nobody wants to license them. The only way to get around this is to make a great fan community with lots of active members, if the house thinks there's demand for it it'll get licensed.

I'm not saying you should fake this for a show you personally enjoy, but AI tools are out there and with a little editing you can make it look like ten thousand people post on your sgt frog message board or whatever, just hide the IPs or the gig is up.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Kwyndig posted:

Despite this being the era with CR, HD, D+, and Netflix grabbing every license they can just to keep the other guy from having it, there are shows still so mid that nobody wants to license them. The only way to get around this is to make a great fan community with lots of active members, if the house thinks there's demand for it it'll get licensed.

I'm not saying you should fake this for a show you personally enjoy, but AI tools are out there and with a little editing you can make it look like ten thousand people post on your sgt frog message board or whatever, just hide the IPs or the gig is up.

I've only found mediocre meme subs for ponchi on the high seas tho, to the point that one might be better off not wasting bandwidth on it.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Palpation of the throat, why I do declare, it's enough to make a prince blush!

Still loving Doctor Elise.

EDIT: I just noticed the princes in both Doctor Elise and 7th Time Loop have the same weird crossed bangs with dark hair. Some shoujo sure like repeating tropes and looks, I guess.

Pan Dulce fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 7, 2024

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

cave emperor posted:

I’m not surprised

I should try watching Saki, maybe

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Metallic Rouge was trippy this week and more importantly gave a lot of context, albeit some extremely unreliable context. Good ep.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Orb Crabmelt posted:

Satoshi Kon's Paprika will have a very limited run in theaters next week in 4K. I'm talkin' one or two nights (one dub, one sub).

Thanks for the heads up on this, saw the subbed version tonight.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

GateOfD posted:

no, not that either.
The one I'm thinking of is an undead that just wants to die, but attacks never do anything to him. But he doesn't want to hurt other people either. So he's helping a bunch of people who end up after being thankful, then run away from him when they see him. And other guilds that find out about some "evil" OP skeleton keep attacking him with their strongest attacks that just bounce off of him and then run away for their lives. I think he's been undead for so long, he has bad communication skills, so he just ends up sounding like he's growling at them and making weird noises when he tries to talk to them. Some of the smarter guild members think he might be non-hostile because he never chases after anyone.

He does get some action where he's pretty unlucky/lucky where he stumbles on some necromancer evil cult who thinks he's with them, but they're the only ones that he actively tries to hunt or track down because he thinks they might have some clue on how to end him, but he just keeps bulldozing each leader.

I think it's this one. He looks basically human, right?
After Spending Hundreds of Years as a Common Undead, I’ve Become The Strongest Undead When I Woke up

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

cave emperor posted:

I think it's worth a watch over a bunch of the fantasy series that's airing this season (though that may not necessarily mean much). It's low level mahjong related antics with girls that don't immediately turn into moeblobs (and instead occasionally turn into FKMT characters for a gag)

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
It could be the smaller size of the mahjong audience, but there have been other weird mahjong things that were licensed before

But considering Mahjong Soul was tied into the online platform it might've been half a commercial VS something that someone had to pay a license for

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah all the licensed mahjong anime have been double threats, with either a mobile game or a manga series to promote. This one has neither, it has tie in manga to promote it which have no Western traction.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think one of pon no michi's sponsors is an actual mahjong association so it might just exist to promote mahjong itself.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It's meant specifically to be more entry level too compared to the big mahjong series so that makes sense.

It reminds me that Chihayafuru, which was sponsored by the Karuta association, still hasn't animated the last bits of the manga (though a good chunk of it is basically one tournament which may or may not go down well)

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Xelkelvos posted:

It's meant specifically to be more entry level too compared to the big mahjong series so that makes sense.

It reminds me that Chihayafuru, which was sponsored by the Karuta association, still hasn't animated the last bits of the manga (though a good chunk of it is basically one tournament which may or may not go down well)

Did that manga finish? I paused it for a bit and wanted to pick it up eventually if it’s done now is a good time I guess.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

That Works posted:

Did that manga finish? I paused it for a bit and wanted to pick it up eventually if it’s done now is a good time I guess.

In 2022.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Time for Torture Princess is one of those animes where I'm not even following it in order

like i saw the first two episodes, i probably missed the 3rd. and 4th.

then watched the 5th episode randomly cause felt like it, and it doesn't matter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It's extremely episodic, yeah. The framing story doesn't have a real plot to it as of this point and I don't know if it ever will.