Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Or Mechanicus.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bulwarkstudios.mechanicus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Paladinus posted:

Or Mechanicus.

Not compatible with Android 13, in case anyone else is checking it out.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I'll tell you what I am getting annoyed with in BB2. It's the bug where when you're moving between rooms, it arbitrarily decides not to let you move in one direction or the other until you close and reopen the app.

EDIT: I tried Battlefield again. It has a bit more variety of opponents now, and I can actually make a little progress with a Fairy burn build. The trick is, there isn't any way in it to restore your skill count that I've found, so the "Level 1/8" at the top is a bit over-optimistic.

Also, the chyron at the bottom told me I'd earned 300 guild points, but it didn't actually award them.

EDIT^2: I figured that last part out. If you take a corpse from your graveyard into Battlefield, it doesn't matter what union you're in _now_; it awards any union point rewards based on the union that corpse was in at the time.

delfin fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Feb 3, 2024

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

delfin posted:

I'll tell you what I am getting annoyed with in BB2. It's the bug where when you're moving between rooms, it arbitrarily decides not to let you move in one direction or the other until you close and reopen the app.

Yeah, it got a lot worse this patch. You can use the go to town option and then return to the run to fix it, but it is still very annoying.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
The Fairy parade rolls on. I've had success with Paladin, Valkyrie, Scavenger and Ancientmancer so far, and can see almost any class working at present because the Ancient Fire build is essentially stat-agnostic. Since my damage sources all scale off of Shield, Burn and Shield Amplification, I don't have to stress about keeping my main stats up. Several traits and skilled (Healthy Resistance, Defiant Resistance, Cornered Rat, etc.) play off of being at 0 HP stacks, which Fairy has by default, so once you get those rolling it's a very nice boost from those.

I put enough effort into one of the northernmost unions to unlock Contact, which lets me slap Auto:Free and Unopposed onto my Burn sources with minimal effort. Rune Slot Release 4* lets all of my skills have four slots on purchase, so I can stack stuff like Blink and Barrier and Chemistry on Spell Shield and fill in the others as needed. Ancient Fire x2, Burning Blade, Ancient Spark, Spell Shield is my low-effort loadout of the moment.

I also remain a big fan of Pacifism, if you're looking to grind out runs in difficult dungeons. With Elite monsters barred from the dungeon, you can take your time and grind out a great kit before you get stuck fighting anything that's at all challenging.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

delfin posted:

When I get this bug I just go back to town real quick then resume the same corpse. It's quick but very annoying.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Hit a fun one in Battlefield today. The opponent had the cross-legged old seer avatar, and was simply an immovable force for my Fairy. It summoned up Dancing Swords at intervals, but otherwise just sat there and soaked up damage. Every time I knocked out the first of his two HP stacks, he restored it on his next turn, and continued on his merry path to enlightenment until I fell to exhaustion ages later.

There are lots of fun strategies like that waiting to be discovered.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

delfin posted:

Hit a fun one in Battlefield today. The opponent had the cross-legged old seer avatar, and was simply an immovable force for my Fairy. It summoned up Dancing Swords at intervals, but otherwise just sat there and soaked up damage. Every time I knocked out the first of his two HP stacks, he restored it on his next turn, and continued on his merry path to enlightenment until I fell to exhaustion ages later.

Wow, I wonder why people play Call of Duty when the alternative sounds so much more interesting!

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

delfin posted:

You can run away from battle if something like this happens. It's in the menu. It costs a random number of remaining skill uses

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Might've cracked part of the code of Battlefield just now -- a Fairy Scavenger with a shield build just scored 48000 before dying. Apparently, the 'levels' display is a misnomer and level 1 just scrolls endlessly.

The trick was to pack Ancient Shield with Quicker, Auto:Combat and Barrier, then to stack Spell Shield with Boosts and build the usual stuff like Conserve Skill Uses and Supply. With a good base shield, Ancient Shield on entry and then Ancient Shield again on turn 1, that was enough to protect against Executioners' zerg rush and then set up the burn machine. What got me was actually too much Bravery; I hit a situation where its burst mode activated instead.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

delfin posted:

Might've cracked part of the code of Battlefield just now -- a Fairy Scavenger with a shield build just scored 48000 before dying. Apparently, the 'levels' display is a misnomer and level 1 just scrolls endlessly.

The trick was to pack Ancient Shield with Quicker, Auto:Combat and Barrier, then to stack Spell Shield with Boosts and build the usual stuff like Conserve Skill Uses and Supply. With a good base shield, Ancient Shield on entry and then Ancient Shield again on turn 1, that was enough to protect against Executioners' zerg rush and then set up the burn machine. What got me was actually too much Bravery; I hit a situation where its burst mode activated instead.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Is there a goon guild setup on merge mayor?

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

fluppet posted:

Is there a goon guild setup on merge mayor?

Came in here to ask that

I've created Goonswarm

It doesn't look like you can invite people - only set it to locked. No idea whether that makes people unable to join at all or if it just means I have to approve them.
For now post in here if you join so I know not to boot you

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I've joined as moooo566.

BluePard
Jan 24, 2009
Joined as Archer.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Krisxk joined for some Mayor Merging

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Jimbone is also merging on a municipal level

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

There doesn't seem to be much you can do in the guild yet, I guess we have to wait for the extra buttons to enable.

So far it just seems your members show up driving around and you can add energy to everyone using gems.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Once they enable Mayor raiding tho it's gonna be crazy

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is there any decent turn-based dungeon crawler on Android that isn't gacha crap, besides The Quest?

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Jack Trades posted:

Is there any decent turn-based dungeon crawler on Android that isn't gacha crap, besides The Quest?

I've been playing the poo poo out of Shattered Pixel Dungeon lately if thats the kinda thing you are after?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does the whole Play Store only have like 20 premium games or does the storefront simply refuse to show you any?

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Pretty sure the storefront is mostly driven by download & retention metrics, so premium games have a hard time competing against freemium shovelware with scummy ads.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

I always liked Quest Lord, but it's a simpler style of game compared to The Quest.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

In BB2 is there a certain type of damage I should be trying to mitigate with the ancient king? I have tried to build as many different layers of defense as I can, but I am still getting oneshot on a frequent basis with hits of anywhere between 45k-90k.

This is playing a fairy shield build, but I cant get enough shield built quickly enough.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jack Trades posted:

Does the whole Play Store only have like 20 premium games or does the storefront simply refuse to show you any?
There's a Premium tab on the Games section, every category has a Premium carousel if you scroll down and find it, you can filter any search to only show premium results, and there is a chart for Top Paid both globally and per-category.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

NPR Journalizard posted:

In BB2 is there a certain type of damage I should be trying to mitigate with the ancient king? I have tried to build as many different layers of defense as I can, but I am still getting oneshot on a frequent basis with hits of anywhere between 45k-90k.

This is playing a fairy shield build, but I cant get enough shield built quickly enough.

He's probably hitting you with Void, which has its own separate resistance counter that's hard to get. There is a Resist Void square on the grid that's always a priority when it shows up, but it's never a sure thing.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tunga posted:

There's a Premium tab on the Games section, every category has a Premium carousel if you scroll down and find it, you can filter any search to only show premium results, and there is a chart for Top Paid both globally and per-category.

Yeah, the premium tab shows like 6 games tops for some categories and the premium carousel has been the same for at least two years.
I swear it's easier to find games on the high seas than the official store.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I ended up getting The Quest again because the last time I played it was over 15 years ago on my iPaq.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It's not that hard to find a bigger list of top paid games on the app store, just go to the 'top charts' tab, change the dropdown from 'Top Free' to 'Top Paid', and if you only want to see new releases check the 'New' toggle. Unless "premium games" means something other than apps you pay for up front. That said, most of the things in this list are still abject garbage, but occasionally I'll find a diamond in the rough. I basically never use the carousels up front because those are as you said extremely outdated most of the time.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Using the store for discoverability is a fool's errand (on iOS too), something like Toucharcade is probably a better bet to keep up on new releases?

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

Jack Trades posted:

The actual premium page on the play store is curated and they got rid of the guy who does it like a year ago and the tab hasn't updated since. It's still pushing bloons 5 and all the editors picks are from like 3 android versions ago. People also figured out how to game the sales tab on that screen, so it's filled with garbage F2P "VIP" versions

RandExt
Jun 1, 2023
I've found some good games via the MiniReview app (covers both android and iOS games)

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Moonshades is another first-person dungeon crawler. I tried it and I remember bouncing off it eventually but I don't recall why offhand.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

So I got 3 months of Play Pass with my new phone. After deep diving into Slay the Spire I'd now like to try some other stuff, but as mentioned upthread there's a bajillion games just in Play Pass. Is there a thread rec or curated list somewhere that's worth looking at?

Thx

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
BB2 talk has quieted down (the dev has COVID, so good luck to him), but I ran into a new way to die in Battlefield yesterday.

Far as I can tell, the person had Petrify in every slot with boosts of all types stacked on top. The battle started, I saw a blitz of Petrification spam hit me, and I immediately died of exhaustion.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Jack Trades posted:

I ended up getting The Quest again because the last time I played it was over 15 years ago on my iPaq.

I haven't played that in years either and I'm surprised it's still being updated and hasn't become one of the many victims of iOS updates.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Deptfordx posted:

So I got 3 months of Play Pass with my new phone. After deep diving into Slay the Spire I'd now like to try some other stuff, but as mentioned upthread there's a bajillion games just in Play Pass. Is there a thread rec or curated list somewhere that's worth looking at?
Stardew Valley, Dead Cells, Brotato, Monument Valley, all the Layton games.

There's also a bunch of Kairosoft games on there. I prefer the earlier stuff like Game Dev and the soccer/racing ones, but a lot of them are pretty playable.

If you go to the chart for paid games and scroll through it, it shows the Play Pass icon, most of the stuff there is decent.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Lots of Kemco games on the Play Pass too if you're into old school style JRPGs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
The Sequence is cool on play pass. You build simple electronic machines, similar to zachtronics stuff