Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
It's not mountaineering like most of this thread, but I'm linking this article mainly for the following quote:

“I’d also ripped my leggings when I fell and I was like: ‘Please don’t put my bum on the telly’ – my mum would’ve killed me.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/feb/04/woman-rescued-from-welsh-mountain-after-fall-while-scattering-fathers-ashes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

A Welsh mountain? A terrifying drop of 5, maybe even 6 metres in some parts

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I would simply collect myself and climb up.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
i know people can gently caress up on british peaks, but it doesn't make them less pathetic. that one is not even 1000 meters. dramatic landscape is not britain's strong point

edit: i just realized that ten thousand pages ago i made this same point but better. sorry thread. i'm gonna punish myself now. i'm not going to tell you how, but it would gross you out, and that's a promise

Deep Glove Bruno fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Feb 5, 2024

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

i know people can gently caress up on british peaks, but it doesn't make them less pathetic.

I know, I'm just joking around. I fell out of a kayak yesterday in 3 metres of water and realised how easy it would be to just drown right there beside the dock if one more thing went wrong.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Chrpno posted:

I know, I'm just joking around. I fell out of a kayak yesterday in 3 metres of water and realised how easy it would be to just drown right there beside the dock if one more thing went wrong.

Yeah I mean "immobilizing back pain from straining to take a poo poo" is probably up there on the goon medical problems scale and I'm not a bad-aece myself, but it is funny the rep british peaks get in britain and then you look 'em up and it's like "this one is a staggering 700 meters!"

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

yes, but consider: she ripped her leggings and her bum was cold and vulnerable

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
*chooses "piece of cake" difficulty in duke nukem 3d*

*never makes it far enough to "shake em baby"*

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Outrail posted:

Wanna see someone XC down Everest

E: 15 year old waxed Rossignols, plastic edges or it doesn't count.

As a cross country skiier, I appreciate this post very much because basically, I ski on gear very close to this.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

Yeah I mean "immobilizing back pain from straining to take a poo poo" is probably up there on the goon medical problems scale and I'm not a bad-aece myself, but it is funny the rep british peaks get in britain and then you look 'em up and it's like "this one is a staggering 700 meters!"

tbf it's generally exactly because they're 1000m peaks that people then decide that it's a :krad: idea to go up in shorts and converse with zero plan for what happens if the weather changes on a completely exposed route over a 300ft rock face, rather than just laying down to die on Pen y Fan because you ran out of granola bars

but yeah, Snowdon literally has a gift shop at the top

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

you can find a deadly cliff to fall off of at the beach, the elevation isn't necessarily what kills you if you just fall off of something
this lady was evidently slightly incautious at a point where there's a steep bit and that's a normal thing people do all over the place and not really a mountaineering thing specifically

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Planet X posted:

As a cross country skiier, I appreciate this post very much because basically, I ski on gear very close to this.

:byodood::hf::byodood:

Same. XC skiing is such a hilariously stupid sport.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

im glad this lady who tore her undies was ok, even if it was a small peak, or she was unprepared, or she was english. poo poo happens & nobody's perfect

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Don't put my bum on the telly is so British it's like I'm living there again.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
There is literally a Goon who fell off a mountain and survived. I will not tell their story but I suspect they have some empathy for the Brit bum lady.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
beware! Gammon Yeti

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
A friend went for a winter hike in leggings and was not prepared for stupid icy conditions and basically slid on her rear end down a frozen trail and tore the poo poo out of her leggings and rear end.

Everyone agreed it was great.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Empty Sandwich posted:

another NYT article about climbing.

this one's about an American expedition in Argentina in 1973. two people died. one of them was carrying a camera, and that just reappeared a couple years ago.

That was fascinating, and disturbing to say nothing of frustratingly unfinished. Did Cooper and Johnson go nuts and attack each other? Why those specific injuries, it doesn't make much sense. Is there some weird rare Andean monster that attacks the faces of stragglers? Maybe not, but I don't entirely buy the story of the survivors either: does the story of Johnson against the story they brought back of a girl giving up with "don't make me suffer just let me die" ring true to you? A woman who'd climbed many high peaks over 10k feet?

The story of Cooper's ice-pick "accident" also smelt bad to me, it's very difficult to fall on an ice-pick that hard and the shape of the wound didn't match. What made that hole? Too many questions that can never be answered.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

ive noticed rock climbing also seems that way (outdoor sport and boulder, not necessarily alpine style or indoor competition styles). i think it probably has something to do with the long time required to develop the ligamenture and connective tissue associated with absolute finger strength + endurance, as contrasted with the relatively quick development of skeletal muscle

as someone who switched from powerlifting to rock climbing after lumbar pain that just wouldnt go away, i think it's also easier on your body that a lot of strength sports (as long as you don't tear a finger tendon.) finger strength generally comes from muscles in the forearms and hands which you can develop just like any other muscle group

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

ELTON JOHN posted:

as someone who switched from powerlifting to rock climbing after lumbar pain that just wouldnt go away, i think it's also easier on your body that a lot of strength sports (as long as you don't tear a finger tendon.) finger strength generally comes from muscles in the forearms and hands which you can develop just like any other muscle group
I'm the opposite in that I switched from climbing to powerlifting/strongman and that fixed my back pain. Although going into strongman with crazy grip strength has been awesome.

Although last time I took my daughter climbing at a gym I hopped on an easy boulder route and gassed immediately since I am like 40 lbs heavier than when I climbed

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!

B-Rock452 posted:

I'm the opposite in that I switched from climbing to powerlifting/strongman and that fixed my back pain. Although going into strongman with crazy grip strength has been awesome.

Although last time I took my daughter climbing at a gym I hopped on an easy boulder route and gassed immediately since I am like 40 lbs heavier than when I climbed

the weird thing is that i found i had good hold strength from powerlifting, but the pinch grip (which as you know is way more important in climbing) was definitely underdeveloped. a wooden hang board fixed that tho

i miss the barbell sometimes and still try to work in some deadlifts and light squats when i can but also climbing rocks is a lot of fun

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

if you love the rocks so much why dont you marry them

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

FullLeatherJacket posted:

tbf it's generally exactly because they're 1000m peaks that people then decide that it's a :krad: idea to go up in shorts and converse with zero plan for what happens if the weather changes on a completely exposed route over a 300ft rock face, rather than just laying down to die on Pen y Fan because you ran out of granola bars

there's also shops in the alps! i don't really get peoples boners for elevation, a 500m scramble is harder than a 2500m scenic drive.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

i know people can gently caress up on british peaks, but it doesn't make them less pathetic. that one is not even 1000 meters. dramatic landscape is not britain's strong point

edit: i just realized that ten thousand pages ago i made this same point but better. sorry thread. i'm gonna punish myself now. i'm not going to tell you how, but it would gross you out, and that's a promise

lol do you think that something has to be over 1000m to be dramatic?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
bigger number = more dangerous and more beautiful obviously

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

AARD VARKMAN posted:

and thats just simple math

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Cactus Ghost posted:

if you love the rocks so much why dont you marry them

I would, but my understanding is that this angers the mountain.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Help my dicks frozen solid in everussy

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
She let you summit because you're super rich, she let me summit because I'm goofy

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

hemale in pain posted:

there's also shops in the alps! i don't really get peoples boners for elevation, a 500m scramble is harder than a 2500m scenic drive.

The terrain just gets way more dramatic once you get up past 2000m elevation (at least here in the Rockies). Obviously you needn't climb all that way but the views at 2800m are something else.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

and thats just simple math

This is why we have excel tables

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

AARD VARKMAN posted:

When you get into negative numbers that's when things start to get super safe and dull. The bottom of the Mariana Trench is pretty much the safest dullest place on earth. If you try to climb there you will get a bit wet though, so pack a good rain jacket or something.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

dramatic landscape is not britain's strong point

Hmm.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

I mean the deforestation of the whole island hundreds of years ago legit helped the sightlines.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
yeah that kid got the last tree too lol rekt

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Works for the 8000s.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Pen y Fan's where some soldier recruits got marched to death in the sun a few years back. Granted it was more the heat, weight of their gear and crushing British indifference to suffering, but underestimating the difficulty of Pen y Fan in those conditions probably didn't help matters. You can fall and break a bone from a single step.

I think I drove past them going up actually, remember seeing a bunch of lads in military gear in that area right before it happened.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

i mean, you can drown yourself with a half-full canteen too, but that doesn't mean taking a drink is freediving

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Wales has some awesome hikes and you can definitely get in trouble easily if you're not careful. It's no surprise that a lot of Everest climbers train there.

I hiked up Snowdon via Crib Goch ridge a few years ago and it was awesome. I'd love to do more ridge walks now like the Aonach Eagach and Cuillin Ridge. This is a pic I took of Crib Goch after having walked it.

(On the one day of the year there was pure sun lol)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

So Britain’s best sights are Tuesday in actually pretty countries is what you’re telling us