Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
No one said anything about a whole country’s music, just black metal. Poland is a common target because a huge percentage of black metal bands that come from there are at best one degree away from some NS poo poo, including foundational bands of that scene and some of the biggest artists to emerge from it. Ultimately one of course has to do their own research and what they listen to privately is really between them and their conscience, but these stereotypes about some national scenes have a basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

Henchman of Santa posted:

but these stereotypes about some national scenes have a basis.

I don't think you're going to agree, but: I do not think that whether stereotypes "have a basis" affects whether we ought to act on them, knowing that they are stereotypes and not fact.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Every Russian black metal album is like "Sorrows of Autumns Past" by Gloomy Forest Clearing, and then you go on Metal Archives and all 4 members are also in a band called Wehrwülf 88

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Visions of Valerie posted:

I don't think you're going to agree, but: I do not think that whether stereotypes "have a basis" affects whether we ought to act on them, knowing that they are stereotypes and not fact.

Acting on one in this case consists of…scrutinizing bands that come from their very historically racist scene slightly more than you would scrutinize bands from places that haven’t pumped out nearly as many Nazi bands. I think you’re extrapolating this to broad ethnic stereotyping or dismissal of entire countries, so once again I am clarifying that we are just talking about black metal here.

szary
Mar 12, 2014
As a Polish person I can confirm the BM scene can be racist as gently caress. Same about the DM scene, I remember reading an interview with a member of one of the more prominent DM bands who had moved to London and was exasperated about how many non-white people he saw on the streets.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Just listen to this:

https://antrisch.bandcamp.com/track/i-festgefroren-packeisfalle

A black metal concept album about this doomed expedition: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklin%27s_lost_expedition

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
See, now, freezing to death in the Arctic, that's a proper black metal thing.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
If you can't understand the lyrics and aren't paying for the record (:filez: or Spotify or whatever) what does it matter?

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
the old nazi punk bar adage but it's mixtapes

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Vintersorg posted:

It's the Kerry King Slayer Project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOwFC56MQgA

Sounds like Slayer.

This is loving great.

I mean yeah, it's Slayer, but Slayer is loving great so...

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Oldstench posted:

If you can't understand the lyrics and aren't paying for the record (:filez: or Spotify or whatever) what does it matter?

Sometimes I still listen to Storm of the Light's Bane (good riddance Jon)

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

New Necrot just got announced. Haven't listened yet, but if its anything like the last 2 albums...

Edit - It rules, can't wait for the full album

McFlurry Fan #1 fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Feb 6, 2024

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Anyone in the mood for some stupid, raucous 80s-rear end poo poo?

No? It's ok, I'll post this anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEgTooBect8

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Nordick posted:

Yo this loving rips, holy poo poo. Between this and Diamonds Hadder from a couple pages back y'all have me getting into trad stuff for basically the first time ever.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

New Necrot just got announced. Haven't listened yet, but if its anything like the last 2 albums...

Edit - It rules, can't wait for the full album

Hell yeah! Necrot is great. I saw them as an opener a few years ago and have been obsessed ever since. Mortal is such a good album. Excited for new stuff!

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Okay this track loving KILLS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRKsJp49Lwc

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
what kind of amateur mounts the deadbolt upside down like that

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Oh no, they got Night Flight Orchestra'd!

:sickos:

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Yeah, this was as far as I got before pulling the trigger on the album. These guys are so loving fun.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

CornHolio posted:

I picked up Dehumanizer on vinyl yesterday at the local record show. Also got Rainbow Rising. Dehumanizer is so underrated, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R-tSFyy0Gs

Hell yeah, Dehumanizer rules and I recently got a copy on vinyl as well. Dio Sabbath is best Sabbath.

joylessdivision fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 6, 2024

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Dehumanize yourself and face the loudspeakers?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

joylessdivision posted:

Hell yeah, Dehumanizer rules and I recently got a copy on vinyl as well. Dio Sabbath is best Sabbath.

Dio could loving sing, that is for sure.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Nordick posted:

I was not prepared for how hard this rips. God drat.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

I think Dehumanizer is the best Dio Sabbath record. The others are good, but Dehumanizer has killer song after killer song. It's perfect.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Hello Metal goons, just wondering if anyone (more specifically UK/EU goons) is going to any festivals this year?

Going to ArcTanGent and it's going to be my first outdoor festival in 7 years and I'm anxious :ohdear:

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Hulk Krogan posted:

I was not prepared for how hard this rips. God drat.

Seriously, don't sleep on this poo poo, folks.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

ultraviolence123 posted:

I think Dehumanizer is the best Dio Sabbath record. The others are good, but Dehumanizer has killer song after killer song. It's perfect.

too slow for me. I'lll take Neon Knights or Mob Rules any day.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
such is the bloodlust of these bearded hustlers…

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Solefald posted:

Hello Metal goons, just wondering if anyone (more specifically UK/EU goons) is going to any festivals this year?

Going to ArcTanGent and it's going to be my first outdoor festival in 7 years and I'm anxious :ohdear:

I've got tickets for Graspop Metal Meeting in Belgium but I sorta regretted it as the line up so far is pretty bad and the festival itself is quite bland. Wish we went for Hellfest but the distance made us decide to go for Graspop because I feel uncomfortable being four days far away from my young children. Also, i am getting too old to 'sleep' four nights in a tent surrounded by drunken teenagers

edit:
Gonna see Tool though!

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer

Monstaland posted:

I've got tickets for Graspop Metal Meeting in Belgium but I sorta regretted it as the line up so far is pretty bad and the festival itself is quite bland. Wish we went for Hellfest but the distance made us decide to go for Graspop because I feel uncomfortable being four days far away from my young children. Also, i am getting too old to 'sleep' four nights in a tent surrounded by drunken teenagers

I'll be at Graspop as well. For me, there's more than enough bands and beer to have a good time. I'm in my forties, but I usually have no trouble getting to sleep. Probably helps that I've been going to festivals for 20+ years (oh god, I'm getting old)

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

i'm in an online trivia league called learnedleague (it's a paid, by invitation thing but not super exclusive or anything) and there was a mini league on metal that just ended. 11 days of 6 questions per day and then a 12 question championship. i finished seventh overall out of 1212 people and the last question was

quote:

12. "... what is the primary ideology or primary ideas that fuel Gorgoroth's music?"

Thus began Sam Dunn's famous interview with vocalist Gaahl of the Norwegian black metal band Gorgoroth, which was featured in the 2005 documentary film Metal: A Headbanger's Journey. After Dunn finished his question, Gaahl remained silent for a full 11 seconds, apparently deep in thought while wistfully stroking the stem of a glass of red wine, before responding flatly with what one word answer?

which i thought was a pretty funny way to end it

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DeimosRising posted:

i'm in an online trivia league called learnedleague (it's a paid, by invitation thing but not super exclusive or anything) and there was a mini league on metal that just ended. 11 days of 6 questions per day and then a 12 question championship. i finished seventh overall out of 1212 people and the last question was

which i thought was a pretty funny way to end it

I contributed to that! Glad you enjoyed it. If there’s another one in a couple of years I’m gonna play instead because my competitive side made it tough to watch from the sidelines, especially on some of those questions that got sub-10% get rates.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I contributed to that! Glad you enjoyed it. If there’s another one in a couple of years I’m gonna play instead because my competitive side made it tough to watch from the sidelines, especially on some of those questions that got sub-10% get rates.

that rules. i missed all the power metal questions pretty much and a few that were about popular metal adjacent groups but i'm pretty sure i swept all the Trvu Kvlt metal questions

edit: i didn't check the stats on the individual questions, were there any you were particularly annoyed nobody got?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DeimosRising posted:

that rules. i missed all the power metal questions pretty much and a few that were about popular metal adjacent groups but i'm pretty sure i swept all the Trvu Kvlt metal questions

edit: i didn't check the stats on the individual questions, were there any you were particularly annoyed nobody got?

I would’ve missed those same ones. Not my strong suit.

I was hoping for much better results on my Amorphis question and thought the one about Blackbraid would have a better get rate just because they’re a big band of the moment. I certainly don’t know anything about Sonata Arctica but I thought the Caleb Q would do a little better just because they are big in power metal.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I would’ve missed those same ones. Not my strong suit.

I was hoping for much better results on my Amorphis question and thought the one about Blackbraid would have a better get rate just because they’re a big band of the moment. I certainly don’t know anything about Sonata Arctica but I thought the Caleb Q would do a little better just because they are big in power metal.

i definitely got blackbraid and definitely missed caleb because i've never listened to them. i don't remember the amorphis question

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DeimosRising posted:

i definitely got blackbraid and definitely missed caleb because i've never listened to them. i don't remember the amorphis question

It was essentially “who is the first band on Encyclopedia Metallum” but with additional hints that they are Finnish and with two of their albums namedropped.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqCmmnE5mwM

here have some cool new death metal

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
I saw these guys for a second time this past weekend. Young thrash group called Deceptor out of Raleigh. They sound much better live. Fun group of guys, too.

https://open.spotify.com/track/3btmOYzyDZlqLUvROjNxMz?si=TFKCbmJgR1a9heZyQ2D4XA

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
If you ever wondered "what would Vektor sound like with Morbid Angel vocals" then you need to check out Dissimulator

Also because the album is good

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...NOOT1fD-s5Dvn1n

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

MikeCrotch posted:

If you ever wondered "what would Vektor sound like with Morbid Angel vocals" then you need to check out Dissimulator

Also because the album is good

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...NOOT1fD-s5Dvn1n

Loving this, thanks! Also noticing some Cynic vibes which is extremely my cup of tea.