Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

somehow, replicator returned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Over the years I've gotten a lot of use out of "Your father made you wrong!"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

mossyfisk posted:

lol. Harsh.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.
Went to a new Mexican restaurant yesterday and they had SG1 on the bar’s tvs.

I think I’ll be going back.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

ChairmanMauzer posted:

Went to a new Mexican restaurant yesterday and they had SG1 on the bar’s tvs.

I think I’ll be going back.

if you drink too much, the bouncer zats you and dumps you on a forest planet that looks strikingly similar to a lightly wooded area outside the studio

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Hey maybe they’ll stick you on the wood pile planet or the gravel pit planet

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

What if it's the Rene Auberjonois planet :ohdear:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Rappaport posted:

What if it's the Rene Auberjonois planet :ohdear:

rene auberjonois basically encapsulated the different planet types of SG1 pretty well in his various roles

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

blatman posted:

if you drink too much, the bouncer zats you and dumps you on a forest planet that looks strikingly similar to a lightly wooded area outside the studio

Who knew the galaxy looked so much like British Columbia?

Curtana
Feb 17, 2011

Scratch Monkey posted:

Who knew the galaxy looked so much like British Columbia?

Well, not the WHOLE galaxy, just the parts of the galaxy available to the stargate network, right? Parts the five races may have terraformed in parallel to developing the stargate network? Maybe the five races designed British Columbia by committee to create a ecosystem each of them could agree on? :v

Now that Earth has their own warp/hyper drives they can go out in ships and find more interesting planets with more interesting lifeforms and more interesting ecosystems! Oh, and let's not forget; more interesting ways to die!

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

mossyfisk posted:

lol. i really liked daniels rant at jack after that if i recall correct it started with you stupid son of a bitch or something like that. really jack sucks at dealing with the replicators he only made everything worse. if he didnt kill that kid she could of deactivated them all galaxy wide or something and then if he didnt gently caress over 5 there would of been no milky way reinvasion and 5 could of helped find a way to stop or change his brethren

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

daniel also straight up has no idea nor qualifications to say "you just ruined our only chance at beating the replicators" tho

he was just emoting and talking out of his rear end

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

snergle posted:

lol. i really liked daniels rant at jack after that if i recall correct it started with you stupid son of a bitch or something like that. really jack sucks at dealing with the replicators he only made everything worse. if he didnt kill that kid she could of deactivated them all galaxy wide or something and then if he didnt gently caress over 5 there would of been no milky way reinvasion and 5 could of helped find a way to stop or change his brethren

Agreed. I thought Jack really sucked with the Tok'ra too. Total disrespect and mistrust. Jack was pretty bad with a lot of aliens, but oddly, he got the most important one super right, apparently - the Asgard, who really seemed to love him.

Also, he's super cool with Teal'c when a lot of other folks would take him away and study him.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

also if that replicator wasnt an innocent looking cute lady but some tentacle beast that smelled bad daniel wouldnt even have cared if jack blasted it lets be honest

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Always saw the Replicators as reused/reinvented. Reese's father invented them and that was just one instance of it happening. The Ancients reinvent/rediscover them and they're deployed against the Wraith.

Jack for a man who was special forces had no patience for secrets/subterfuge and diplomacy.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Worf posted:

also if that replicator wasnt an innocent looking cute lady but some tentacle beast that smelled bad daniel wouldnt even have cared if jack blasted it lets be honest

Hey, Daniel is best buds with Chaka.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

chaka isnt even that ugly and basically represents zero harm to earth tho

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Worf posted:

chaka isnt even that ugly and basically represents zero harm to earth tho

We've seen Chaka lead a revolt on southern slave planet. He's not a zero on the threat meter.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

redshirt posted:

Agreed. I thought Jack really sucked with the Tok'ra too. Total disrespect and mistrust. Jack was pretty bad with a lot of aliens, but oddly, he got the most important one super right, apparently - the Asgard, who really seemed to love him.

Also, he's super cool with Teal'c when a lot of other folks would take him away and study him.

He hates subterfuge and chicanery, which the Tok'ra exclusively deal in. That's why his nemesis isn't Anubis, or #5, or Apophis, or Baal. It's loving Maybourne.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

redshirt posted:

We've seen Chaka lead a revolt on southern slave planet. He's not a zero on the threat meter.

chaka cant use the stargate lmao

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I bet he can figure it out.

Occurred to me that the Tau'ri scavenged most/all of their tech, like the Goa'uld.

And yet use the word with derision when describing them.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

fairly typical for humans tbh

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

redshirt posted:

I bet he can figure it out.

Occurred to me that the Tau'ri scavenged most/all of their tech, like the Goa'uld.

And yet use the word with derision when describing them.

this is only true if you just ignore the fact that almost everything they use is just human tech circa the early 2000s other than the stargate and zats. even the dialing system they use for the stargate is some stupid thing they rigged up themselves.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Don't forget the X-301

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

FFT posted:

Don't forget the X-301

yeah they tried it one time and the thing immediately broke and they talked about what a bad idea it was

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Asgard tech, their big win, was a gift. Ancient tech? They are the children of the ancients it is their inheritance. Proven by the Ancient Technology Activation Gene.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

cock hero flux posted:

this is only true if you just ignore the fact that almost everything they use is just human tech circa the early 2000s other than the stargate and zats. even the dialing system they use for the stargate is some stupid thing they rigged up themselves.

Carter's dialing program is the greatest achievement. Everything else is scavenged/found, starting with of course the Stargates themselves.

All space tech Earth developed only was possible by retro engineering captured Goa'uld designs. Etc.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

redshirt posted:

All space tech Earth developed only was possible by retro engineering captured Goa'uld designs. Etc.

Is that really true? Everything on the X-302 was homegrown. Fairly terrestrial launch system and air/space maneuvering and life support, no focus on exotic weaponry. Reverse engineered / Asgard-helped hyperdrive but still an earth design, not shipped in from Planet Thor.

They are shown always putting in time to research, improve, test, and create things. That's pretty rare from the baddies perspective.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

redshirt posted:

Carter's dialing program is the greatest achievement. Everything else is scavenged/found, starting with of course the Stargates themselves.

yeah but earth space tech is like literally 6 ships that they don't build until more than halfway through the show. this does not constitute a substantial portion of what they actually use

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Chronojam posted:

Is that really true? Everything on the X-302 was homegrown. Fairly terrestrial launch system and air/space maneuvering and life support, no focus on exotic weaponry. Reverse engineered / Asgard-helped hyperdrive but still an earth design, not shipped in from Planet Thor.

They are shown always putting in time to research, improve, test, and create things. That's pretty rare from the baddies perspective.
This is my point. The Goa'uld do put in that time. There are smart Goa'uld. For one example, the Goa'uld designed and built all their own ships, but, probably just like the Tau'ri - getting the basic principles down from other's technology, then building it yourself.

My point is there's not that big a difference between how the Goa'uld got and developed tech, and how the Tau'ri did. For another example, the Goa'uld probably developed their naquadah tech on their own. Goa'uld don't normally have naquadah in their system.

The Tau'ri didn't figure out hyperdrive tech. They scavenged it, reverse engineered it, then deployed it with the help of friendly aliens.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

redshirt posted:

Goa'uld don't normally have naquadah in their system.
Yes they do, there's literally only one cloned batch that doesn't

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

FFT posted:

Yes they do, there's literally only one cloned batch that doesn't

I thought the Goa'uld who live naturally on the Unas planet had no naquadah in them. I could be wrong.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

redshirt posted:

I thought the Goa'uld who live naturally on the Unas planet had no naquadah in them. I could be wrong.

im pretty sure youre right

i just watched the fake clip show and the meta jokes i got were kind of funny im sure there was alot that flew over my head to. i laughed when marty? the alien guy pitching the movie told valla he is right he doesnt know that in regaurds to her farscape plagarism. i also liked the ending with the robot tealc quoting asimov ive always enjoyed asimovs works and when ever people play the game of were more like x dystopian future im like naw were closer to asimov

the valla amnesia one was pretty meh though its not bad its just boring and predictable

im hoping we get some good episodes out of this earth vs jaffa thing with the destruction of t'kara

Worf posted:

daniel also straight up has no idea nor qualifications to say "you just ruined our only chance at beating the replicators" tho

he was just emoting and talking out of his rear end

your right he isnt techicnally right but he is mostly right look at how they turned them selves into human replicators the replicators worship their creator and would have obeyed her. but lets place the blame on the real replicator problem maker. the dad who made his robot daughter wrong.

snergle fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 5, 2024

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

redshirt posted:

Okay "naturally" they don't, but "normally" they do.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

FFT posted:

Okay "naturally" they don't, but "normally" they do.

IE it's an upgrade they did to themselves to allow better technology use.

They are not just scavengers.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

redshirt posted:

IE it's an upgrade they did to themselves to allow better technology use.

They are not just scavengers.

Do we actually know how this happened and if it was intentional? It could have just been an evolution by taking hosts with it in their blood.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The distinction I get is that the goa'uld generally treat their stuff as black boxes without understanding the underlying mechanisms, while a human scientist like Carter can whip out the math on how hyperdrives work on a moment's notice

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

its good they revived this woman so she could apologize to them

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Tunicate posted:

The distinction I get is that the goa'uld generally treat their stuff as black boxes without understanding the underlying mechanisms, while a human scientist like Carter can whip out the math on how hyperdrives work on a moment's notice

Also we see that the Goauld do understand all this technology (the examples springing to mind is Baal re-engineering and purposing the Avenger virus and the one who created naqadriah on Langara; yes I am watching S7 why do you ask), they just don't play it up because they're already perceived as gods by their subjects.

Humans saying the Goauld don't create technology they just steal it are just being space racists, change my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

PittTheElder posted:

Also we see that the Goauld do understand all this technology (the examples springing to mind is Baal re-engineering and purposing the Avenger virus and the one who created naqadriah on Langara; yes I am watching S7 why do you ask), they just don't play it up because they're already perceived as gods by their subjects.

Humans saying the Goauld don't create technology they just steal it are just being space racists, change my mind.

That actually makes me wonder how the genetic memory poo poo works. Like, they’re a queen based species so how does new knowledge get integrated into the mix as they go along?