Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Not Wrong was the name of my high school ska band

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
My musical antecedent for Sunday Morning is the Velvet Underground, and it would not be a good workout song

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

kiimo posted:

When I was first attending college concerts in the mid 90s it was nothing but like three ska bands in a row.

It was a magical time, perhaps the only time, that a trombone player got groupies.

Shout out to the trombone guy in The Urge plowing through Lawrence, KS with reckless abandon

Wait, the trombone guys got groupies? gently caress I missed out.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I hate smart watches and I have a collection of about 16 or 18 automatics, mechanicals and quartz watches and I love them all so much.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Same, except I have two watches. A Nomos Metro, a fine piece that my father in law gave me as an excellent and thoughtful gift, and an all-black Casio G Shock I got from a giant electronics store in Tokyo

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Pron on VHS posted:

Same, except I have two watches. A Nomos Metro, a fine piece that my father in law gave me as an excellent and thoughtful gift, and an all-black Casio G Shock I got from a giant electronics store in Tokyo

I rock the casioak on a rubber strap as my beater but my crown jewel is a black ceramic bezel no date submariner that and a 1970s Vietnam era seiko replica my brother built for me are my favourites.

I also have a love affair with zelos and their super lume dials

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I daily a Seiko Arnie SNJ025 and a Citizen Promaster EcoDrive (prob 70:30) but I have a black Citizen Garrison field watch I wear on a Velcro strap I sprinkle in as well.

For work I have two black Gshock squares (a DW5600 and a GWM5610 solar) and for play I’ve got an orange and blue 5610 square I just picked up for beach and mtb.

I really want to pick up a yellow or green Casioak too at some point.

I keep thinking I want to snag an automatic but I really can’t get past the dead-on accuracy of quartz and the decades long reliability of solar quartz. I need to get over some of my pragmatism.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 5, 2024

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Android Apocalypse posted:

Archived footage of Fartknocker's interview
Coincidentally it will be the same vid after having this all week:

Last batch of stock made from frozen GDT chicken bones. :patriot:
Looking good. I need to make some more, I've got the bones.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 5, 2024

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

I daily a Seiko Arnie SNJ025 and a Citizen Promaster EcoDrive (prob 70:30) but I have a black Citizen Garrison field watch I wear on a Velcro strap I sprinkle in as well.

For work I have two black Gshock squares (a DW5600 and a GWM5610 solar) and for play I’ve got an orange and blue 5610 square I just picked up for beach and mtb.

I really want to pick up a yellow or green Casioak too at some point.

I keep thinking I want to snag an automatic but I really can’t get past the dead-on accuracy of quartz and the decades long reliability of solar quartz. I need to get over some of my pragmatism.

I just love the weight of an automatic as much as anything.

I love me a good citizen. I have three of em.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Watches are boring and pretentious. I do not wear them. I also don’t like the feeling of stuff on my wrists or hands.

I am pleased that watches bring many of you happiness, though.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I can’t imagine being a Watch Guy. More power to you if you are, but man is that not a hobby I could ever have.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
I don't normally think about watches and would never wear one, but Julien Baker was wearing a watch last night and it went great with her ensemble.
It felt appropriately....butchy.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I can’t imagine being a Watch Guy. More power to you if you are, but man is that not a hobby I could ever have.

Same. I just don't have the time for it.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

wandler20 posted:

Same. I just don't have the time for it.

Boooooooooo

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
https://twitter.com/goodboy__noah/status/1753525564286398873

Now I'm hungry

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

C'mon, don't let it wind you up.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Sounds like they're tic'd off

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
don't make the mods get a strap

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

This is just painful to watch

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Timex

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Not much, what's hourglass with you?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

I wear an Apple Watch when I work out or when I’m just out running errands or whenever.

But check this poo poo out - I also wear normal watches if the opportunity presents itself!!

So beyond the notifications deal (which is nice, because either your phone buzzing on a desk or being in a pocket and somehow not feeling buzzes are equally annoying), the big reason I stuck with my Apple Watch was early on in the pandemic, when they added the feature to unlock your phone with your watch if it was in range. E.g., unlocking your phone when you couldn't fully get Face ID working - like with a mask on.

That was just useful enough, and the notifications on watch a nice enough feature, that I've stuck with it since, and upgraded twice. I'd like to wear my automatics again more (original era Seiko Monster sitting on my dresser, sad and alone) but it's just too useful to use the Apple Watch.

Qwijib0 posted:

don't make the mods get a strap

:blastu:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I mean there are Watch Guys and guys that wear watches and I’m in the last category. My Arnie is the most expensive watch I have and it retails at 525 but I got it for 320$.

Plus for work I need reliable time on my wrist that isn’t a phone (don’t want a phone out on a guy’s gross chest during a cardiac arrest timing meds and stuff) so I just like having reliable charge-free date/time all the time.

Add to that a fondness for cheap watches like Ironman Timex and Gshock from my childhood…

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

harperdc posted:

So beyond the notifications deal (which is nice, because either your phone buzzing on a desk or being in a pocket and somehow not feeling buzzes are equally annoying), the big reason I stuck with my Apple Watch was early on in the pandemic, when they added the feature to unlock your phone with your watch if it was in range. E.g., unlocking your phone when you couldn't fully get Face ID working - like with a mask on.

That was just useful enough, and the notifications on watch a nice enough feature, that I've stuck with it since, and upgraded twice. I'd like to wear my automatics again more (original era Seiko Monster sitting on my dresser, sad and alone) but it's just too useful to use the Apple Watch.

:blastu:

I actually have all notifications on my watch turned off except for phone calls because my phone stays on silent. I do love the alert you can send to your phone to make it chime so you can find it though.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I love my Apple Watch a whole lot. Mine is a Series 3 and she's showing her age so I will need to upgrade at some point. But I love having my texts and poo poo right at my wrist if it's not convenient to have my phone out. I love that I can use it to pay for things places and it can get me into a Disney park. It's probably the most useful piece of tech I own besides my actual phone.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Braksgirl posted:

I love my Apple Watch a whole lot. Mine is a Series 3 and she's showing her age so I will need to upgrade at some point. But I love having my texts and poo poo right at my wrist if it's not convenient to have my phone out. I love that I can use it to pay for things places and it can get me into a Disney park. It's probably the most useful piece of tech I own besides my actual phone.

My wife absolutely loves hers. It’s a great piece of tech.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I have a non-apple smartwatch and I absolutely love it.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Let's just say I saw an advertisement for horology and ending up enjoying watches was a happy accident.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I got a Bulova two Christmases ago that will probably remain the most expensive watch I will ever own.

Got a buncha knockoff ones I bought in Phnom Penh of the ones I genuinely like but can never afford. I dreamed about a Breitling Navitimer but like most sane human beings there's a long list of things that could use 3 grand ahead of it.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
I have an Apple Watch, but primarily just use it as a sleep tracker.

I think it has the worst user interface of any device I've ever used.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
My grandpa was a watch guy, but for cheap novelty watches, like obscure versions of the Mickey Mouse watch where the hour and minute hands are his arms.

One year we got him a wrist sundial and a compass for Christmas.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/MikeSteveRitter/status/1754665458341429449?t=noF6TL5vOShF-WsNYqAJsw&s=19

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

GD_American posted:

I got a Bulova two Christmases ago that will probably remain the most expensive watch I will ever own.

Got a buncha knockoff ones I bought in Phnom Penh of the ones I genuinely like but can never afford. I dreamed about a Breitling Navitimer but like most sane human beings there's a long list of things that could use 3 grand ahead of it.

Bulova make a really nice watch at a good price point they actually also had one of their watches go to the moon.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Braksgirl posted:

Get into a Disney park you say :frogon:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Its Rinaldo posted:

Get into a Disney park you say :frogon:

Pretty much all smart watches are equipped with NFC transmitters so you can pay with them if you hook your credit card to it. I'd assume Disney parks operate the same way.

Anyway, I've been a fitbit guy since 2017. I'm on a versa 3. I've been looking at upgrading to the pixel watch since that's got fitbit on it, but... :shrug:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

seiferguy posted:

Pretty much all smart watches are equipped with NFC transmitters so you can pay with them if you hook your credit card to it. I'd assume Disney parks operate the same way.

Anyway, I've been a fitbit guy since 2017. I'm on a versa 3. I've been looking at upgrading to the pixel watch since that's got fitbit on it, but... :shrug:

What happens if I want to go to a park in the AFC? :haw:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Its Rinaldo posted:

What happens if I want to go to a park in the AFC? :haw:

You probably need a better quarterback looking at how things are right now :dadjoke:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Tony Keith died.

Wild.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

GD_American posted:

I dreamed about a Breitling Navitimer but like most sane human beings there's a long list of things that could use 3 grand ahead of it.

Yeah for me it’s a Seamaster, but I have the same hang up where I can’t justify that huge of an expense for a watch.

I also drool over some of the more expensive Seiko reissues, but again :homebrew:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

GD_American posted:

Sick choice.
The Olympus is easily the best looking watch imo but sadly 3k won’t get you a Navitimer these days.

For me the best price for look watch is the Carerra by Tag.