Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

In Dark Souls (1 at least), the first time you reach a bonfire you LIGHT it, which is different from RESTING AT IT. So if you get through a grueling segment like, say, the Anor Londo Silver Snipers, and then only click the bonfire ONCE, your progress is not saved and you have to do it again when you get inevitably murked.

I can't remember this being a thing in the later Soulslikr games, but also in those games you can warp between any bonfire you've lit anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Opopanax posted:

I'm on a mission that requires it to be nighttime in Far Cry 6, but they didn't put in a way to force the day/night cycle so I have to sit here waiting for apparently up to 20 minutes. What a bone head lack of a feature

I remember getting mad at that back when the game came out. I figured they'd patch it in sometime over the years, but I guess it's actually a Design ChoiceTM after all

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Muscle Tracer posted:

In Dark Souls (1 at least), the first time you reach a bonfire you LIGHT it, which is different from RESTING AT IT. So if you get through a grueling segment like, say, the Anor Londo Silver Snipers, and then only click the bonfire ONCE, your progress is not saved and you have to do it again when you get inevitably murked.

I can't remember this being a thing in the later Soulslikr games, but also in those games you can warp between any bonfire you've lit anyway.

It's still a thing in Dark Souls 2 except it counts as your "last rested bonfire" when you activate it. Dark Souls 2 also had a special reward for beating the game without ever resting at a bonfire, so an important part of it was strategically igniting bonfires to warp back to since you couldn't sit at a bonfire to rest and a few places were nigh inescapable without doing that. There's also a reward for beating 2 without dying. Doing both at the same time was very tough.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The way Dark Souls 1 did it had a bit of utility. Dying sends you to the last rested one, but Homeward sends you to the last lit one. You could light a bonfire without resting at and the enemies wouldn't respawn. So you were free to backtrack and look for items and paths, then hit Homeward to go forward to the new one.

Like you know, the bridge in the middle of blighttown, the fuckin greatest place to put a bonfire in a video game. (it is directly in view of an already aggro'd toxic dart enemy)

edit: Simply lighting it also added it to your overall list, so after fighting Queelaag it's always worth it to run on down to the Demon Ruins and light that thing before leaving.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 05:29 on Feb 6, 2024

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Opopanax posted:

I'm on a mission that requires it to be nighttime in Far Cry 6, but they didn't put in a way to force the day/night cycle so I have to sit here waiting for apparently up to 20 minutes. What a bone head lack of a feature

IIRC there also isn't a great way to check the time either.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
There is not.

Similarly, I'm playing Breakpoint and the only way to check the time is to get your drone out, because for some reason it has a clock display. In Wildlands, the local time was displayed when you opened the map. I'm a night time sneaker, I need to know these things.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC there also isn't a great way to check the time either.

You have to go into photo mode and scroll over to the time setting. It's doable but a stupid amount of steps

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Philippe posted:

There is not.

Similarly, I'm playing Breakpoint and the only way to check the time is to get your drone out, because for some reason it has a clock display. In Wildlands, the local time was displayed when you opened the map. I'm a night time sneaker, I need to know these things.
If you turn on realistic (?) nights it becomes very obvious :v:

Opopanax posted:

I'm constantly amazed how the way Ubisoft develops all these samey games means they have apparently near zero institutional knowledge, so we keep getting various feature regressions between games even within the same franchise because it was an entirely different set of devs who added QoL features the last time.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

orcane posted:

If you turn on realistic (?) nights it becomes very obvious :v:

I keep realistic nights on, because I'm a sicko and I like using the night vision goggles to feel like a lowrent Sam Fisher.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Some bonehead made it so that enemies throw molotovs at Ashley in RE4 Remake, which just instantly kill her in two hits, one for the bottle and two for the flames. What's even the point, throw them at me you dick heads

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s kind of a dick move for Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth to have a wholeass Pokemon League where you can catch monsters you fight, but then turn around and also have minibosses you can fight that are entirely unique enemies that can also be fought before you gain the ability to recruit the not-Pokemon. I’m guessing you can use ingame gatcha currency to roll for them but it’s still obnoxious.

I guess I’m supposed to just beeline the story until I get my full party but then put me somewhere boring like Kamurocho for the eighth time and not Hawaii. And this game drat well better have a really good explanation as to why I haven’t unlocked job changes yet, since I’m not even seeking gainful employment this time, I’m just cosplaying.

This game rules btw.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
For what it’s worth you unlock the not pokemon game before you can feasibly fight even a fraction of those guys, and also you only rarely get the chance to recruit them after you kick their asses anyway. I’ve beaten at least twenty and only had the chance to recruit 2-3. Most of the early ones are silver at best anyway.

The gacha is pretty generous with the higher end guys, too. I’ve gotten one of the top end guys from it and a fair few golds in ~100 pulls. They definitely give you what you need to roll face without having to try too hard. It’s odd, you don’t really have to grind in the not-pokemon game but I find myself grinding anyway… same with the regular game.

The regular game does have some difficulties with the level curve, there’s so much side content that it’s easy to end up over leveled as gently caress. Luckily when the gap is really big you can just do the “LT to win instantly at an exp penalty” thing but there’s a lot of trash mobs you have to just regular attack to kill in one round. Free MP I guess?

Oh, and also the Drink Link bonding things with your companions have fights built into them and that doesnt scale or warn you. I was plateaued at lvl 25 in chapter five and because I had done so much side stuff my bond level with Tomi was pretty high. I did a drink link that was clearly made for later in the game with enemies I couldn’t reasonably fight, or even cheese.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Infinite Wealth has trouble balancing its 10-strong player cast, since some of them join very late. It's possible to exhaust the bulk of the side-content by Chapter 9. When does Joon-Gi Han, the Korean Vergil, finally make his entrance? Chapter 13 of 14.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Infinite Wealth has trouble balancing its 10-strong player cast, since some of them join very late. It's possible to exhaust the bulk of the side-content by Chapter 9. When does Joon-Gi Han, the Korean Vergil, finally make his entrance? Chapter 13 of 14.

lmao you have to be loving kidding me.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Sorta-related to the Far Cry 6 problem, House Flipper 2 had a day/night cycle for some reason, and it would get dark. It could either run off an in-game 24 hour clock, or your computer's clock, and the computer clock didn't work right. It'd be 2 PM on a Saturday, and it'd be the dead of night in-game.

There was no benefit for working at night, outside of saying "hey this finished remodel looks good at night!" and you couldn't just, y'know, turn it off. :effort:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia has an accessory called the Tower Ring with the description: "Less likely to be blown away".

There is a puzzle involving an item on a windy ledge you cannot grab without being blown off.

These two things are not connected at all. The ring only affects how far you are knocked back after en enemy attack

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I've been playing Fortnite: Save the World again this week and I can completely see why it died on the vine. Not just because the battle royale took off and became a license to print money, but also they didn't know how to make it a complete viable product.
So there's this weird mix of cancerous padding of an EA title that knows it's never leaving EA and ftp microtransaction exploitation paired with genuine love and effort -especially with the microtransactions removed. It's still utterly marred by the roadmap it was one, but there's some cute stuff that stands out like a rogue-like dungeon mode and the silly fun and art direction of combat.

I wish there was another goofy co-op 3rd person horde shooter with elements of map exploration like Fortnite was originally going to be.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is Fortnite still a battle royal? I thought it was a dancing / concert venue / place for the uncool kids to hang out? (the cool kids have already moved on to something I havent heard of yet)

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Silent Hill: Short Message - it has nice atmospheric music, an interesting hook, the real-life videos were nice and otherwordly at the same time... But the chase sections killed my interest - they seem entirely linear, scripted, and if you "die", you go back to just before the beginning of the chase, but all you can do is to repeat it, there's no avoiding the chase.

They become boring quickly, and I can only assume they will be present in the final game :(

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Philippe posted:

That sucks, because the opening of Dying Light is pretty good (ignoring the first night). You're weak and have to scrounge and use your parkour to survive. Two guys can entirely wreck your poo poo.

After we figured out what was going on, there was a toggle in the options to disable the event, and I was able to finish the tutorial. It ended up being pretty funny that their onboarding experience was so jacked because of that event though.

The person in the radio calmly telling me to craft a bandage while a dozen zombies that can climb are screaming and chasing me, I never stopped moving and was just thrown into the deep end.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

The Lone Badger posted:

Is Fortnite still a battle royal? I thought it was a dancing / concert venue / place for the uncool kids to hang out? (the cool kids have already moved on to something I havent heard of yet)

It had the most concurrent players of any videogame in December and is fully cross platform, but yeah it's definitely shifting more to a metaverse model since they're integrating it with a racing game by psyonix and rocket league, a lego branded minecraft knock off, a rockband-alike by harmonix -complete with support for the old peripherals and an obnoxious roblox style user content/game mode browser.
Tucked behind skibidi toilet prop hunt is the original fortnite pve horde game.
They license everything, so you can do all that as a team of goku, mr beast, jack skelington, and solid snake

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Szurumbur posted:

Silent Hill: Short Message - it has nice atmospheric music, an interesting hook, the real-life videos were nice and otherwordly at the same time... But the chase sections killed my interest - they seem entirely linear, scripted, and if you "die", you go back to just before the beginning of the chase, but all you can do is to repeat it, there's no avoiding the chase.

They become boring quickly, and I can only assume they will be present in the final game :(

It's a separate self contained game made by a different developer. They are unrelated projects except for the publisher.

Vic has a new favorite as of 11:53 on Feb 7, 2024

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Coolness Averted posted:

It had the most concurrent players of any videogame in December and is fully cross platform, but yeah it's definitely shifting more to a metaverse model since they're integrating it with a racing game by psyonix and rocket league, a lego branded minecraft knock off, a rockband-alike by harmonix -complete with support for the old peripherals and an obnoxious roblox style user content/game mode browser.
They license everything, so you can do all that as a team of goku, mr beast, jack skelington, and solid snake

I hadn't realised until I read this that I had absolutely no idea what Fortnite actually was and now I'm still not sure. How does that...work.

Man I'm old.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Roblo posted:

I hadn't realised until I read this that I had absolutely no idea what Fortnite actually was and now I'm still not sure. How does that...work.

Man I'm old.

You know how Fall Guys is just a bunch of minigames and you have to beat more than a set amount of your opponents? They're trying to make Fortnite into that. All the modes and anything else that people can come up with in between Vs Thanos mode or whatever.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Coolness Averted posted:

This one kind of hurts.
I mean I'm glad they get to survive but will they survive the Fortnite mines? Dropmix and Fuser were underappreciated creative magic :(

Vic posted:

It's a separate self contained game made by a different developer. They are unrelated projects except for the publisher.
I still had to download the entirety of 'Fortnite' to try out Rocket Racing

Croccers has a new favorite as of 15:54 on Feb 7, 2024

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Croccers posted:

This one kind of hurts.
I mean I'm glad they get to survive but will they survive the Fortnite mines? Dropmix and Fuser were underappreciated creative magic :(

There’s a (very basic) Fuser-ish mode in FN Festival too. It’s…not very good, but given it’s a live service game it could get overhauled.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Croccers posted:

I still had to download the entirety of 'Fortnite' to try out Rocket Racing

Which is really dumb because it doesn't really share many assets yet other than car customization carries over between fornite BR and Rocket Racing. They even specifically have tweaked models for the vehicles between modes -in Fortnite BR your avatar actually drives the car/is seated in it, in Rocket Racing they removed that part, but still show your avatar as your placement banner.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
dumb rear end complaint I have about Dead Space Remake: Isaac stands tilted with his left side forward, away from the screen. Due to the really pretty dynamic animations, sometimes Isaac takes the first step walking with his left foot and so there's this really ugly animation bridge that sucks. My boy takes one loooooong step. It plays all the time and he looks like he is MC Hammer sliding.

edit: Figured out why he keeps doing it, it happens if you turn sideways and then walk. It's his torso pivoting into place and man it just really sticks out to me in a game so pretty.... am I nuts? I keep getting distracted by his rear end

https://i.imgur.com/zWYayRi.mp4

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 08:31 on Feb 8, 2024

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
There's deep space in that rear end.

Content: I've played a bit of Frontiers of Pandora, and they don't use Papyrus anywhere! That was their whole thing.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

He's trying to unstick his balls

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

CJacobs posted:

keep getting distracted by his rear end

Don't ever play Metal Gear Solid

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

He's trying to unstick his balls

whom amongst us

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

CJacobs posted:

dumb rear end complaint I have about Dead Space Remake: Isaac stands tilted with his left side forward, away from the screen. Due to the really pretty dynamic animations, sometimes Isaac takes the first step walking with his left foot and so there's this really ugly animation bridge that sucks. My boy takes one loooooong step. It plays all the time and he looks like he is MC Hammer sliding.

edit: Figured out why he keeps doing it, it happens if you turn sideways and then walk. It's his torso pivoting into place and man it just really sticks out to me in a game so pretty.... am I nuts? I keep getting distracted by his rear end

https://i.imgur.com/zWYayRi.mp4

I'm seeing that as him taking a step with his right leg first, but I suppose one would need to hear it in order to know for sure. Still kind of an unusual animation.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

PYF Things Dragging Games Down: I keep getting distracted by his rear end

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Leal posted:

Don't ever play Metal Gear Solid

Thing dragging that series down is that it hasn't actually had any good PC asses since MGS2.

Hel has a new favorite as of 17:49 on Feb 8, 2024

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Hel posted:

Thing dragging that series down is that it hasn't actually had any good PC asses since MGS2.

Excuse me

https://i.imgur.com/y3BibyW.mp4

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm still in a dream.... rear end Eater.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
boss, cake eater was right there

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Perfect example of a bad rear end, it's covered by ugly bulky clothing and all that sticks out is the armour lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
PYF Metal Gear rear end