Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
If anybody else was curious, I looked it up and the MMR vaccine confers lifelong protection of 97% efficacy against measles, the exception being for shots before 1963 which used dead virus instead of weakened live virus.

quote:

If you're uncertain of your immunization status, it's safe, with a few exceptions, to go ahead and get an MMR shot now to minimize your chances of getting measles. And that's the point: As an adult, you're likelier to develop complications from the illness, which can include pneumonia and brain swelling, health officials say.

"There's no downside to getting a dose of measles vaccine," says William Schaffner, a professor at Vanderbilt University and an infectious disease and vaccine expert. "If you're [already] protected, it won't help much, but it won't harm you. And if you happen to be susceptible, it will give you over 90 percent protection."

This advice also applies to people born between 1957 and the early 1960s who may not have been vaccinated against measles at all.

Schaffner says it's not a blanket recommendation — do check with your doctor. But it's reasonable to consider getting the MMR shot, especially if you live in a community where there's an outbreak of measles or if you're traveling out of the country to places where there are outbreaks currently — including Israel, Brazil, Japan, the Philippines and some countries in Europe and Africa.

"If you were born between 1957 and 1963 and you are unsure of your measles immunization status, and you are so inclined, sure! Go ahead and get a dose of MMR," Schaffner says.

Another option if you're unsure of your vaccination status is to get a blood test to determine whether you are immune. But the CDC says this is likely to take two doctor's visits and cost more than a vaccination. So it may be easier to just get the shot.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2019/04/29/716894110/measles-shots-arent-just-for-kids-many-adults-could-use-a-booster-too

This article is from 2019, so before the CDC turned into the Center for Disease Celebration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Let's all go to kiosk
Let's all go to kiosk

Let's all go to kiosk
and get ourselves some RATs

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Steve Yun posted:

how much was it

Soap Scum posted:

nice!

also curious how much it was >.>

$420 for the masks. $535 with tax and shipping. When I was looking, I maybe could have saved a little bit on the front end by going with someone else but I just wanted to keep going with what I knew and had been working.

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
I have been away from covid news for maybe a couple months. What is the big variant going around right now? Any new and terrifying information about what covid does to humans?

edit: only trust your respirator

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Ham Cheeks posted:

I have been away from covid news for maybe a couple months. What is the big variant going around right now? Any new and terrifying information about what covid does to humans?

JN.1 consumed the entire variant soup that we've been swimming in for awhile. Its beefy and responsible for the second worst peak of the pandemic which we are still near the top of, coming down the other side now. Imo nothing has changed to the extent that should inspire people to change their behavior in years.

I do take a streptococcus salivarius k12 lozenge every day now. This probiotic binds to the covid spike protein and inactivates it. It was discussed in this thread awhile back. Some very promising small cohort studies, but I wouldn't call the evidence a slam dunk.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

Ham Cheeks posted:

Any new and terrifying information about what covid does to humans?

makes u wanna swab ur actual bussy for a sample

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

durrneez posted:

makes u wanna swab ur actual bussy for a sample

swab your bussy on the left hand side

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

The last one clearly shows a positive for me. It's faint... but it's there.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
Swab my poopdeck

Is that anything

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Rochallor posted up the data a few posts up but..

Mola Yam posted:

uh so we're still pretty sure that you get the childhood mmr vaccine and you're good for life, right? i don't need to booster bandit for loving measles do i
I got a MMR booster in early 2021 I think it was due to some bits of data that suggested it might be helpful against covid. It was quite easy for me (with insurance) to call up a pharmacy and pay I dunno $50 for a booster shot, on the books, no shenanigans. I had the childhood series 30+ years prior, dunno if they'd be questioning if I went back tomorrow for another one (I don't plan to).

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Why the gently caress is measles back? That was one of the big triumphs of 20th century medicine. As in, eliminating diseases with high mortality and permanent disability rates was one of the things that allowed modern society to get as big as it did, and if we let them come back we're all hosed.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
gently caress yeah hit me with all the viruses

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Ham Cheeks posted:

(..)
Any new and terrifying information about what covid does to humans?
(..)

It really depends on when you tapped out, but as an overall, quick and very accessible recap, I think the BBC video I posted yesterday is pretty good. Though naturally it doesn't really cover anything new, it does underscore that what we know from research, does actually happen.

Otherwise I tag brain stuff with ": brainworms :" (without the spaces ofc), which I personally find the most terrifying. There is certainly some new and terrifying information there, if you search the thread for that.

Pingui has issued a correction as of 11:31 on Feb 6, 2024

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

Ham Cheeks posted:

test2treat.com can mail you free paxlovid straight to your door without so much as even having to chat online with any live humans

other paxlovid became a lot more locally scarce everywhere

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

super sweet best pal posted:

Why the gently caress is measles back? That was one of the big triumphs of 20th century medicine. As in, eliminating diseases with high mortality and permanent disability rates was one of the things that allowed modern society to get as big as it did, and if we let them come back we're all hosed.

Measles was already having a bit of a resurgence the past 10-15 years as anti-vaxxers refused to get their kids vaccinated. So you have a younger generation without immunity and an older one who either got the MMR shot or nature's vaccine starting to die off, meaning a more vulnerable population overall.

And that's before giving kids covid 2-4 times a year.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Rochallor posted:

Measles was already having a bit of a resurgence the past 10-15 years as anti-vaxxers refused to get their kids vaccinated. So you have a younger generation without immunity and an older one who either got the MMR shot or nature's vaccine starting to die off, meaning a more vulnerable population overall.

And that's before giving kids covid 2-4 times a year.
It's also before covid turbocharged the antivaxx movement as a whole. Skepticism
about the mRNA shots has markedly bled over into skepticism about routine childhood vaccinations.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Define your standard for high mortality and permanent disability rates. Because by the "new" standards of our modern times, measles isn't really all that bad.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

A Bag of Milk posted:

JN.1 consumed the entire variant soup that we've been swimming in for awhile. Its beefy and responsible for the second worst peak of the pandemic which we are still near the top of, coming down the other side now. Imo nothing has changed to the extent that should inspire people to change their behavior in years.

I do take a streptococcus salivarius k12 lozenge every day now. This probiotic binds to the covid spike protein and inactivates it. It was discussed in this thread awhile back. Some very promising small cohort studies, but I wouldn't call the evidence a slam dunk.

That’s not how it works.

Dren posted:

Someone posted about S. Salivarius a couple days ago but I don't think the papers were posted directly. This first one is cool because they showed that S. Salivarius expresses proteins that mimic part of the spike, thereby inducing the production of antibodies in the saliva of vaccinated individuals.

Cross-regulation of antibody responses against the SARS-CoV-2 Spike protein and commensal microbiota via molecular mimicry

One of the papers referenced by the first study points out that "the oral cavity is a primary source of the lung microbiota community" therefore it stands to reason that the oral probiotic is beneficial to the lung as well, though antibodies in the lung were not measured in the first study. They also point out that S. Salivarius has been "widely clinically investigated especially for its effective action in contrasting ear, oral, pharyngeal, and tonsillar infections caused by S. pyogenes, S. pneumoniae, M. catarrhalis, and/or H. influenzae." Which sounds great.

Clinical Effects of Streptococcus salivarius K12 in Hospitalized COVID-19 Patients: Results of a Preliminary Study

Another referenced paper is The administration of S. salivarius K12 to children may reduce the rate of SARS-CoV-2 infection, where 128 schoolchildren in Milan were enrolled in a study where half were given S. Salivarius for 90 days (this was pre-vaccine) and they were swabbed for covid if they showed any symptoms or had any reported exposures. There were 0 covid cases in the S. Salivarius group and 24 in the control group! And that is pre-vaccine! The authors of the first paper noted that there were some cross-reactive antibodies in unvaccinated mice so maybe some people have those too, or maybe there is some other mechanism.

Safety Assessment of the Oral Cavity Probiotic Streptococcus salivarius K12 addresses the safety of S. Salivarius.

I have started taking a lozenge once a day. This seems much better evidence than the nasal spray stuff since they've directly measured how it increases production of spike protein binding antibodies in the saliva and it is highly likely to do that in the lungs too. The recent nature article about inhaled vaccines noted that delivery to the trachea seemed more efficacious than delivery to the upper nasal cavity, which kinda makes sense since the lungs is where sars-cov-2 gets ya.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Measles prevention is a cost center that the folks in charge know that they can cut without too much complaining by following the Covid playbook that was so successful for them.

Get measles or don't, you do you!

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Number of communicable diseases must go up!

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran
Girlfriend got Covid. seaweed spray and masks are keeping me safe. What’s the best recommendation for things she can do to minimize the odds
of getting long covid?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Milosh posted:

Girlfriend got Covid. seaweed spray and masks are keeping me safe. What’s the best recommendation for things she can do to minimize the odds
of getting long covid?

Paxlovid right now, try test2treat or sesamecare

No exercise for two months after testing negative. Sicko fitness types will try to nickel and dime this but that's because they're addicts. Start graduated reintroduction of physical activity beyond ambient at two months and do not strain yourself. I think petey had a guide somewhere but I can't find it.

Gunshow Poophole has issued a correction as of 16:48 on Feb 6, 2024

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Ham Cheeks posted:

GIMME COUGHIN' GIMME MEASLES GIMME CHRONIC COVID WHEEZLES, OOH

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

it's just another overblown hoax like y2k, ozone hole, nuclear war, asbestos, polio, smallpox and leaded gasoline

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Rochallor posted:

If anybody else was curious, I looked it up and the MMR vaccine confers lifelong protection of 97% efficacy against measles, the exception being for shots before 1963 which used dead virus instead of weakened live virus.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2019/04/29/716894110/measles-shots-arent-just-for-kids-many-adults-could-use-a-booster-too

This article is from 2019, so before the CDC turned into the Center for Disease Celebration.

How well does that 97% stand up once covid wrecks your immune system?

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

dxt posted:

How well does that 97% stand up once covid wrecks your immune system?

If you got your measles shot before Covid, you're fine. Those antibodies basically hang around for like a life time.

However if you got covid before your measles shot...

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

NeonPunk posted:

If you got your measles shot before Covid, you're fine. Those antibodies basically hang around for like a life time.

However if you got covid before your measles shot...

unless covid dulls yr immune response by disregulating the complement system, but that would be silly, colds dont do that

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

mags posted:

unless covid dulls yr immune response by disregulating the complement system, but that would be silly, colds dont do that

covid??? no that’s good to get. vaccines lockdowns tho

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Milosh posted:

of getting long covid?

In addition to Paxlovid and serious rest, she might want to ask her doctor about Metformin.

https://covid19.nih.gov/news-and-stories/can-diabetes-treatment-reduce-risk-long-covid

The study showed that metformin was associated with a 41% Long COVID risk reduction.

Why Am I So Tired has issued a correction as of 17:59 on Feb 6, 2024

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Never mind that silly wacky mutated virus in SA.

Now this has some real potential

https://twitter.com/LongDesertTrain/status/1754639862504772044

Mardi Gras is just in a week so perfect timing for this thing

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

NeonPunk posted:

Never mind that silly wacky mutated virus in SA.

Now this has some real potential

https://twitter.com/LongDesertTrain/status/1754639862504772044

Mardi Gras is just in a week so perfect timing for this thing

I think that'll need to acquire more immune escape mutations again before it gets fully turbocharged

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
mechanism behind why some Covid infections cause immune deregulation and others don’t may have been discovered

https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.2300644120

Most of this is flying over my head, but the main points:

Covid variants that cause more death have a proteome that’s higher in cationic amino acids than other variants

The proteome releases peptide shrapnel when the virion gets destroyed by the immune system

these peptide fragments spontaneously reassemble with RNA shrapnel

these reassembled junk piles are the right size and shape to trigger an immune response, making your body think it’s still under attack

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

Steve Yun posted:

mechanism behind why some Covid infections cause immune deregulation and others don’t may have been discovered

https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.2300644120

Most of this is flying over my head, but the main points:

Covid variants that cause more death have a proteome that’s higher in cationic amino acids than other variants

The proteome releases peptide shrapnel when the virion gets destroyed by the immune system

these peptide fragments spontaneously reassemble with RNA shrapnel

these reassembled junk piles are the right size and shape to trigger an immune response, making your body think it’s still under attack

so omicron is mild?

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Why Am I So Tired posted:

In addition to Paxlovid and serious rest, she might want to ask her doctor about Metformin.

https://covid19.nih.gov/news-and-stories/can-diabetes-treatment-reduce-risk-long-covid

The study showed that metformin was associated with a 41% Long COVID risk reduction.

Just a note from a Diabeetus-American to anybody considering chasing Metformin:

You want Metformin ER (extended release). If they try to give you regular Metformin, I've just got two words for you: gastrointestinal tornado.

The pharmacies in my town started giving out certain meds for free to get people to switch, and one of the things listed was Metformin. But it was the old, cheap version of Metformin. My doc used to laugh her rear end off telling me about how many patients talked her into writing a new script against advice and then called back three days later in abject panic.

(Otherwise it's an awesome drug, it's super cheap and they keep finding stuff it has benefits for.)

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

The Oldest Man posted:

common winter illnesses now include

Asthma
Measles
Cold Sores
Psoriasis
Coughs and Colds (but dont say the word covid or the word flu it's all Just a Cold Bro)
Conjunctivitis
Heart attacks

lmao

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Woah, no way!
"Factors other than weaker variants behind reduced mortality in COVID-19: Study"

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2024-02-factors-weaker-variants-mortality-covid.html posted:

Researchers at Karolinska Institutet, together with partners in the Horizon Europe EuCARE project, have shown that the reduced mortality from COVID-19 is not necessarily due to the fact that later variants, such as omicron, have been less severe. Rather, the reduced mortality seems to be due to several other factors, such as immunity from previous vaccinations and previous infections.
(..)
"Overall, our findings suggest that the observed reduction in mortality during the pandemic is due to multiple factors such as immunity from vaccination and previous infections, and not necessarily tangible differences in inherent severity," says Pontus Hedberg, first author of the study.

Omicron variant no less severe
Understanding the disease course and outcomes of patients hospitalized with COVID-19 during the pandemic is important to guide clinical practice and to understand and plan future resource use for COVID-19. A particularly interesting finding is that the inherent severity of omicron has not necessarily been significantly reduced, but that other factors are behind the reduction in mortality.

"The fact that omicron can cause severe disease was seen in Hong Kong, for example, where the population had low immunity from previous infections and low vaccination coverage. In Hong Kong there was a relatively high mortality from omicron," says Pontus Hedberg.
(..)

Study proper:
"In-hospital mortality during the wild-type, alpha, delta, and omicron SARS-CoV-2 waves: a multinational cohort study in the EuCARE project"

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2666776224000218?via%3Dihub posted:

Summary
Background
Investigating outcomes of hospitalised COVID-19 patients throughout the pandemic is crucial to understand the impact of different SARS-CoV-2 variants. We compared 28-day in-hospital mortality of Wild-type, Alpha, Delta, and Omicron variant infections. Whether the difference in risk by variant varied by age was also evaluated.

Methods
We conducted a cohort study including patients ≥18 years, hospitalised between 2020 and 02-01 and 2022-10-15 with a SARS-CoV-2 positive test, from nine countries. Variant was classified based on sequenced viruses or from national public metadata. Mortality was compared using the cumulative incidence function and subdistribution hazard ratios (SHR) adjusted for age, sex, calendar time, and comorbidities. Results were shown age-stratified due to effect measure modification (P < 0.0001 for interaction between age and variant).

Findings
We included 38,585 participants: 19,763 Wild-type, 6387 Alpha, 3640 Delta, and 8795 Omicron. The cumulative incidence of mortality decreased throughout the study period. Among participants ≥70 years, the adjusted SHR (95% confidence interval) for Delta vs. Omicron was 1.66 (1.29–2.13). This estimate was 1.66 (1.17–2.36) for Alpha vs. Omicron, and 1.34 (0.92–1.95) for Wild-type vs. Omicron. These were 1.21 (0.81–1.82), 1.21 (0.68–2.17), and 0.98 (0.53–1.82) among unvaccinated participants. When comparing Omicron sublineages, the aSHR for BA.1 was 1.92 (1.43–2.58) compared to BA.2 and 1.52 (1.11–2.08) compared to BA.5.

Interpretation
The herein observed decrease in in-hospital mortality seems to reflect a combined effect of immunity from vaccinations and previous infections, although differences in virulence between SARS-CoV-2 variants may also have contributed.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Anything else would have been idiotic, so I am kinda surprised at the ruling.

https://apnews.com/article/covid-mask-free-speech-lawsuits-new-jersey-108abf877288999f34d1c604b731d34c posted:

Not wearing a mask during COVID-19 health emergency isn’t a free speech right, appeals court says

TRENTON, N.J. (AP) — A federal appeals court shot down claims Monday that New Jersey residents’ refusal to wear face masks at school board meetings during the COVID-19 outbreak constituted protected speech under the First Amendment.

The 3rd Circuit Court of Appeals issued a ruling in two related cases stemming from lawsuits against officials in Freehold and Cranford, New Jersey.

The suits revolved around claims that the plaintiffs were retaliated against by school boards because they refused to wear masks during public meetings. In one of the suits, the court sent the case back to a lower court for consideration. In the other, it said the plaintiff failed to show she was retaliated against.
(..)

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Does anyone have any info or articles that get into why 5 days of Paxlovid was a business decision / how 10 days should have been the standard dose? (other than Fauci taking 10 days) I could have sworn there was something at some point.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cp0gtbnjsKZ/?igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

dang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Still waiting on more than one study that says that. There have been a number of drugs with promising initial results (fluvoxamine for one) that ended up not really doing anything.