Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

El_Molestadore posted:

Started playing yesterday and what I'm doing is putting common cards into a deck, playing games and upgrading cards to uncommon. This makes a bar go up and sometimes gives me new cards. Is there some good beginner guide for dummies? Guessing there is currency I should not spend, gamemodes to avoid and lots of other things I should or should not do :ohdear:

Do not use "Fast Upgrade". You will be drowning in boosters soon enough, while Credits are the currency limited by how much you play.

Gold is the paid currency. You can refresh missions with it, or buy variants or bundles. Personally I spend it only on variants, but do what makes you happy.

For the time being, just enjoy yourself. Once you get farther on, things will get a tougher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Completing missions gets you credits and season pass xp
Playing the game gets you boosters
Credits and boosters together let you upgrade cards
Upgrading cards gets you more cards
You’re currently on the newbie season pass, so pay special attention to those season pass missions to get the rewards on that track

Like Quackles said, you’re going to be drowning in boosters before too long, so do NOT use the fast upgrade in the shop. Unless you’re planning to whale out, credits will always be the limiting factor to your progress. There are 50 free credits in the shop that refresh every day.

Other than that, just have fun and try out the new cards when you get them!

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

The one thing new players with lots of time on their hands should know is that managing to climb all the way up to Infinite in the first few weeks of play is not a good idea. When climbing the ladder you're matched against players around the same collection level. Once you hit infinite you're matched against every other infinite player, which is mostly people who've been playing for months and have a much larger collection. At that point you're just losing every game to very powerful cards you are still weeks or months from being able to get.

So if you find yourself climbing too fast, play less or go play conquest (which you'll unlock fairly soon) for a while.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

El_Molestadore posted:

Started playing yesterday and what I'm doing is putting common cards into a deck, playing games and upgrading cards to uncommon. This makes a bar go up and sometimes gives me new cards. Is there some good beginner guide for dummies? Guessing there is currency I should not spend, gamemodes to avoid and lots of other things I should or should not do :ohdear:

Never buy Fast Upgrades.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Remember when Blue Marvel felt like a great card? Getting that Season Pass reward felt so good.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Anyone else have a bug where missions don’t update, it’s stuck on refreshing? I just got a new phone and transferred my apps, not sure if that is the problem

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
It's a them problem; no refreshes so far since last night for anyone.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

icantfindaname posted:

Anyone else have a bug where missions don’t update, it’s stuck on refreshing? I just got a new phone and transferred my apps, not sure if that is the problem
There is definitely some issue on the game’s end

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Missed one refresh cycle entirely... It's gonna gently caress up my weekly mission timetable if they don't fix it soon

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Devo posted:

Reminder: don’t open reserves today lest you risk getting a gold ticket that you have less than 24 hours to use.

I didn't even think of that and opened a cache. Luckily I got a variant (which, from a cache seems incredibly rare nowadays).

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Missed one refresh cycle entirely... It's gonna gently caress up my weekly mission timetable if they don't fix it soon

I didn't get any last night or this morning - what the gently caress?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

El_Molestadore posted:

Hoard your keys, gold, and tokens. Post in the thread to ask if a thing is worth buying with one of the game currencies (it's usually not).

Play a lot of Proving Grounds, and get really comfortable with 1 or 2 decks, fine-tune them as needed.

Get your free daily 50 credits from the shop, and complete the missions (never let them go over 6 open missions, or you miss out).

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
I never play Conquest. Is it worth it?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Not past the rewards no

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

El_Molestadore posted:

Is there some good beginner guide for dummies?

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this yet but if you're going to spend any money on this game the $10 season pass is the best bang for your buck by far. You get way more rewards that way and the season pass card is occasionally completely busted.

Everything outside the $10 is basically whale chow but that season pass is legit.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

psychopomp posted:

Proving Grounds are consequence free, and the medals you earn can be used in the medals shop to buy rewards like variants, boosters, credits, and so forth.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

They are apparently working on the mission bug and they also said that there will be compensation

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

psychopomp posted:

Conquest is low stress unless you’re trying for the infinity avatar border. But it’s also a different type of mental game from ladder. On ladder you have one shot to win and if your opponent pulls out an unexpected play or hits their nut draw you’re done. Conquest lets you plan for that once you see it. I like the strategy of playing the same opponent a few times and trying to out maneuver each other once we know the surprises.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

FlamingLiberal posted:

They are apparently working on the mission bug and they also said that there will be compensation

50% chance it will be 100 credits.
30% chance it will be 50 boosters for a card you don't use.
15% chance it's a free gold ticket for conquest for next season
5% chance it's a mystery variant that will be either a pixel for a card you love, or a good variant for a card you don't play.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

orenronen posted:

The one thing new players with lots of time on their hands should know is that managing to climb all the way up to Infinite in the first few weeks of play is not a good idea. When climbing the ladder you're matched against players around the same collection level. Once you hit infinite you're matched against every other infinite player, which is mostly people who've been playing for months and have a much larger collection. At that point you're just losing every game to very powerful cards you are still weeks or months from being able to get.

So if you find yourself climbing too fast, play less or go play conquest (which you'll unlock fairly soon) for a while.

I dunno. Now that there’s Conquest mode with basically no downside, it seems to me like new players should get to Infinite if they can, when they can. Personally, I always seem to hit a wall around week 3, so if you can get over that hump to Infinite, just do it and switch to Conquest if you’re struggling after that. It’s better to just get there and make your subsequent climbs quicker.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

DrBouvenstein posted:

50% chance it will be 100 credits.
30% chance it will be 50 boosters for a card you don't use.
15% chance it's a free gold ticket for conquest for next season
5% chance it's a mystery variant that will be either a pixel for a card you love, or a good variant for a card you don't play.

It better be credits equivalent to the missed missions not refreshed in time + something extra for the season xp loss

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Most long term players have made up their minds regarding Conquest (generally that it takes way too f'in' long) but it bears to keep in mind: as a new player, the game is going to FEEL like you're starved for Boosters when really Credits are the true bottleneck to getting upgrades and progress. Eventually, you'll have more boosters than you can actually spend, but it takes a little while for that equilibrium to change. If you enjoy playing Conquest and have a deck that can hang in there to get at least some wins on the Silver/Gold track, it's worth it to stockpile medals to exchange for boosters and (if you can) unlock the Card Variant that rotates every season. If for example you were able to unlock the Ghost Rider variant this season, he's a Pool 3 card you otherwise wouldn't have access to for a while. By getting the variant, you will also unlock the card to use in decks (with the caveat that this does not actually give you the "base" card, and eventually you will unlock the base card as part of your progression, "wasting" that unlock since it won't then give you a new card you otherwise would've gotten).

Unfortunately this season's Conquest card is Gamora, so no jump-start on a pool card for February. But Conquest is still a.) a good way to get more boosters fast during the only time in the game's life that you'll be tight on boosters and b.) a way to play the game and do missions without risking your ladder ranking.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Snazzy Frocks posted:

It better be credits equivalent to the missed missions not refreshed in time + something extra for the season xp loss
This

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Snazzy Frocks posted:

I fully expect to get 200 credits and a "oops lol".

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

psychopomp posted:

there's usually ~500 gold, ~500 credits, and ~3 variants in it each season.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

psychopomp posted:

I like it. You get to really get in the opponent's head.

Your mileage may vary.

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.
I used to not care for Conquest very much, but I've started to like it quite a bit more during the last 3-4 seasons

For example, just today I had the best Conquest game at gold, me playing Inshenaut and them playing Tribunal, a few retreats and wins for both and at round 6 both at 2 energy, fistbumps for both and then probably the tightest game I've played in ages with the resolution going to the last round (7 in this case) and fortunately with me winning by a hair, so much better than any BO1 on ladder

Especially the good matches do take a lot of time though compared to ladder, and at gold you usually don't want to concede mid-game unless it's an absolutely horrible matchup, so it's a bit different game anyways

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

You can fix the currently stuck mission refreshes if you purchase new missions for 120 gold. Not sure if the compensation will balance the gold spend but I gave it a shot and four missions immediately appeared for me. Wondering if the two new missions will correctly show up at the top of the hour.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Protip posted:

You can fix the currently stuck mission refreshes if you purchase new missions for 120 gold. Not sure if the compensation will balance the gold spend but I gave it a shot and four missions immediately appeared for me. Wondering if the two new missions will correctly show up at the top of the hour.

Unless you desperately need missions I do not suggest this, feels v likely that won’t be compensated.

GarudaPrime
May 19, 2006

THE PANTS ARE FANCY!
Have they said when the next patch is? Feels wierd they would do it today, but it's been 4 weeks i believe.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Ugh. I couldn’t get over the hump to 90 to get the gold. But I did get Hipp Vision in a post 50 season cache, so I guess it sorta works out.

I’m guessing they’ll compensate everyone something like 400-500 credits. Whatever the daily mission rewards would’ve been plus like 50%.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

latest episode of snapchat includes #1 ranked Torikun - surprising to learn as of ~1-2 days ago his season pass rank was <80.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoJKb6P_JLM

I've been listening/watching to snapshot for a few months now and it's consistently the highest level discussion of the game I've found

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Feb 7, 2024

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Still no patch today

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Man. Zabu would be great to have, see that in lots of lists... but the other cards don't seem all that good...

Red
Apr 15, 2003

The missions populated and I have exactly 6 available now.

So yeah, I'd guess we get zero compensation for that.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Got Supergiant in 1 key. Outside of Beta Ray taking all 4 keys, I've gotten Supergiant in 1, Grandmaster in 1, and Miek in 2. Sorry to have stolen someone's luck.

Also I have 6 missions all of a sudden so I guess they backfilled. Still likely to get some compensation in the next couple of days I'd guess.

Edit: They've always been generous about compensating for mission fuckups in the past. I'm not sure why they wouldn't this time.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Man. Zabu would be great to have, see that in lots of lists... but the other cards don't seem all that good...

If you’re missing all 3 cards this week I think it’s a very strong week to open spotlights. Zabu is perhaps the best card in the game, Darkhawk is always good even if not in the best place rn, and you will unlock some of his enablers as you go through S3 (Black Widow, Rockslide, Mystique)

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

YoshiOfYellow posted:

This is one of the best Spotlight Caches, outside of the fact that Zabu and Darkhawk are Series 4. If you have 6000 tokens, I think you use them all on those two cards. Unless you're sitting on a ton of keys.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Well goes to show I'm a bad judge of card strength lol

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

canyonero posted:

Got Supergiant in 1 key. Outside of Beta Ray taking all 4 keys, I've gotten Supergiant in 1, Grandmaster in 1, and Miek in 2. Sorry to have stolen someone's luck.

Also I have 6 missions all of a sudden so I guess they backfilled. Still likely to get some compensation in the next couple of days I'd guess.

Edit: They've always been generous about compensating for mission fuckups in the past. I'm not sure why they wouldn't this time.

4 for Supergiant (but I liked the variants this week, didn't have a good Darkhawk yet, so not the worst week to take 4.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Dire conquest rewards this season