Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Gutcruncher posted:

Sure but only one line of cross section books is garunteed to have a pooping guy

There's no toilets in Star Trek, it's like Harry Potter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there is one

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

No toilets is why O'Brien always had to stand at the transporter room console all day.

And why he looked so miserable all the time

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

And if you look very closely...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAKQzZfpaz8

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

thotsky posted:

There's no toilets in Star Trek, it's like Harry Potter.

Huh? I hate that I know this, but toilets feature prominently in Harry Potter. There's even a weird bathroom ghost.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Those are baths, poop is magicked out of people.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Does every cabin on the Enterprise have its own bathroom, or are there communal bathrooms?
Also, is there a bathroom off of the Bridge? Thanks I'll hang up and listen.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Also I'm imagining regular toilets but instead of leading to plumbing, it's just a bowl that when you flush it transports the waste out into space. Like how airplane toilets work, but with transporter magic.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Also I'm imagining regular toilets but instead of leading to plumbing, it's just a bowl that when you flush it transports the waste out into space. Like how airplane toilets work, but with transporter magic.

Or it just breaks down any matter then sends the constituent molecules into storage to later be used for replication.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

thotsky posted:

Those are baths, poop is magicked out of people.

The troll fight in the first movie is in a bathroom with toilet stalls

Magicking poop out of oneself was an aside joke as something wizards used to do in ye olde days but are now more civilized and use proper toilets.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Feb 6, 2024

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

The troll fight in the first movie is in a bathroom with toilet stalls

Art installation. :colbert:

thotsky fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Feb 6, 2024

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
most of the wizards just poo poo where they stand and magic it away. harry barely bothers to learn any magic, so he only does the first part.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

mycomancy posted:

Well, I *knew* this was true but I never thought about it and now I'm definitely NEVER getting on a boat on the ocean again

Never play Subnautica

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

redshirt posted:

Or it just breaks down any matter then sends the constituent molecules into storage to later be used for replication.

Oooh the food is poop! It all makes sense now. It's the fertilizer to food pipeline, shortened.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Magicking poop out of oneself was an aside joke as something wizards used to do in ye olde days but are now more civilized and use proper toilets.

I'm pretty sure it was a joking reference to the semi-urban-legend that nobles used to just crap in the corner and let the servants clean it up at Versailles.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

redshirt posted:

Does every cabin on the Enterprise have its own bathroom, or are there communal bathrooms?
Also, is there a bathroom off of the Bridge? Thanks I'll hang up and listen.

I think most deck plans showing the whole of Deck 1 and not just the bridge, conference room, and ready room, also have a head there.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There's a door labelled HEAD at the back left, next to the door to the conference lounge. (Oftentimes people pop out of it when they go to red alert and need extra crew arrive.)

For other ships most of them have at least one corridor attached to the bridge, the toilets are probably down there. I guess in TOS they need to take the lift.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Feb 6, 2024

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Wonder how they deal with different species bathroom needs in the communal bathrooms. Surely there's got to be a few issues that have to be addressed.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Klingons have three anuses.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

redshirt posted:

Wonder how they deal with different species bathroom needs in the communal bathrooms. Surely there's got to be a few issues that have to be addressed.

Ah just put a couple of holes in the floor and every spices can sort themselves out how they want to use them. :shrug:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's the real reason programmable matter was invented.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Does Picard's ready room have a toilet or does he have to use the public one

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
He has a Captain's bog.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
there's only one big toilet, and they make you all go at the same time

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

the enterprise is fully plumbed but all the poop goes into those enormous empty sections (the poop deck), when u run out of space the ship gets decommissioned

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

redshirt posted:

I just imagine a particularly fastidious alien asking for the bath-room, then coming out looking particularly shaken.

"I was intending to do my ablutions, but all the cisterns have an accumulation of fecal bacterias. How do your species bathe?"

"Ohhh yeah there's no baths in there, that was a RESTroom."

"...your people sleep in these waste-encrusted cisterns?"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tigey posted:

Does Picard's ready room have a toilet or does he have to use the public one

Yeah he's got a little ensuite

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

There are no toilets because they are all classified as "food replicator feedstock recycling donation drawers"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

https://i.imgur.com/MGbYwLC.mp4

Disco has its moments.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 6, 2024

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

MikeJF posted:

Yeah he's got a little ensuite

It's clearly a "head"

Here's an interesting video on the orientation of the original Enterprise's bridge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qogYjHvcxhY

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

I appreciate that Patrick Stewart was against the fish being in captivity.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

redshirt posted:

You think that one alien in Star Trek 6 pees out of his knees?

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Endless Trash posted:

Earth is 15% liquid rock by volume :science:

Ugly ball of mostly lava

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
D'you suppose they have to take off their entire uniform to go potty

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

davidspackage posted:

D'you suppose they have to take off their entire uniform to go potty

There's probably a zipper or something that just undo and take a poo poo

Space zippers

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

they piss into a bag via a catheter

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

They probably have velcro that looks like a regular seam and you can just open a slit or something.

Kid and I watched the Voyager episdoe where Tuvok and Paris get stranded on that planet that they said it's like gravometric quicksand or something. It was a good one. Neat sci fi concept being a planet where ships regularly get smashed onto the surface and all the inhabitants battle it out for supplies. In general Tuvok and Paris play off each other really well. We also see young Tuvok, not that it was very interesting.

In my ENT watch through one of Dr Phlox's wives comes onto Trip hardcore. Phlox says straight up you don't know what you're missing. Trip just squirms throughout the episode, good for a few chuckles.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

redshirt posted:

It's sometimes addressed on Babylon 5...they do show people going in/out of bathrooms, and make mention that different "types" of aliens need different bathrooms. I believe there's even a visual gag that whatever the gently caress it is that the pak'ma'ra* do in there, it requires them to have their own lavatory.

*For those that didn't watch B5... for one, shame on you. For two, the pak'ma'ra are carrion eaters and basically look like slightly cuddlier Mind-Flayers:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DrBouvenstein posted:

It's sometimes addressed on Babylon 5...they do show people going in/out of bathrooms, and make mention that different "types" of aliens need different bathrooms. I believe there's even a visual gag that whatever the gently caress it is that the pak'ma'ra* do in there, it requires them to have their own lavatory.

*For those that didn't watch B5... for one, shame on you. For two, the pak'ma'ra are carrion eaters and basically look like slightly cuddlier Mind-Flayers:

You also see one leave a toilet stall and do a full-body shake.

Pak'Ma'Ra are also deeply disgusting beings that will allegedly eat anything, including the dead. Whatever comes out the other end has to be a massive biohazard, it's no wonder they get their own toilet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Kinda like goats