Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
In the US they actually tried physical Amazon stores that just sold cheap poo poo you would normally buy online, but in malls. It didn't work out very well and I'm pretty sure most if not all are closed now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Big rear end On Fire posted:

Amazon has gone into health care beyond prescriptions. Got an email offering Prime "one medical" for $9 month. Looks like it's online consultations over an app.

One Medical is a SF based medical group Amazon acquired a few years ago.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Mercury_Storm posted:

They actually tried literal Amazon physical stores that just sold cheap poo poo off Amazon, like in malls. It didn't work out very well and I'm pretty sure most if not all are closed now.

If I remember right the original idea was have an apple store equivalent to push Kindle fire Then when it was just a room of tablets that no one wanted they started adding other stuff since it got foot traffic from people not interested in tablets but saw Amazon logo and got curious.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Mercury_Storm posted:

In the US they actually tried physical Amazon stores that just sold cheap poo poo you would normally buy online, but in malls. It didn't work out very well and I'm pretty sure most if not all are closed now.

They still exist up in Seattle as Amazon Fresh grocery stores. You don’t use a cash register to checkout, it just charges your Amazon account based on what you picked up when you leave because of all the cameras and sensors.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Yeah realistically Amazon fresh is a panopticon testbed that hopefully just costs a lot of money to do not much.

No idea what the hair salon is for though. Fresh new ways to screw contract hairdressers who rent a chair?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
A new front to sell expensive beauty products.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
they do one style: the bezos

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

They basically had to try expanding into brick and mortar. They have to find ways to grow. I've owned that stock for a while but am wondering how they can continue to grow. And as Bezos himself said most big companies die after a few decades. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up splitting up into a few companies in my lifetime.

Here's his quote
"Amazon is not too big to fail...In fact, I predict one day Amazon will fail. Amazon will go bankrupt. If you look at large companies, their lifespans tend to be 30-plus years, not a hundred-plus years."

That article goes on to talk about retail so I don't know if Bezos was specifically addressing retail. Successful and big drug companies look like survivors to me.

Big Ass On Fire fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 6, 2024

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

It does play into the insatiable demand for growth. But equally an owner would be reasonable to say "no thanks if you don't have any better ideas than that you can pay me a fat dividend and I'll invest it in walmart"

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Strategic Tea posted:

It does play into the insatiable demand for growth. But equally an owner would be reasonable to say "no thanks if you don't have any better ideas than that you can pay me a fat dividend and I'll invest it in walmart"

:captainpop:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Mercury_Storm posted:

didn they also do the "re invent the wheel but worse"? in their case, they didnt do barcodes for inventory tracking/purchasing and just did "optic" pics?

e: oh a bunch of posts basically confirmed yes, they had a lovely physical store that lovely and dumb.

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Feb 7, 2024

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Whole Foods is Amazon. They've been in the brick and mortar groceries business for a while now

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Amazon interactions successfully turned me into a Whole Foods customer. It’s an easy place to do returns and they do decent sales for Prime subscribers. Mine has a brick oven pizza that’s pretty good!

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

it's really easy to steal food from the hot bar and because it's amazon, this practice is guilt free!

Nov 6, 2002

Trillhouse posted:

it's really easy to steal food from the hot bar and because it's amazon, this practice is guilt free!

yeah but what about all the nanobots you're ingesting that make you sterile?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Trillhouse posted:

Huge chunk of Amazon is owned by various pension funds so ultimately you are stealing from old people living on a limited income. I don't know how you can sleep at night.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Trillhouse posted:

How do you do it

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

bird with big dick posted:

How do you do it

nice try bezos

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

yeah but what about all the nanobots you're ingesting that make you sterile?

If you have gone to a Whole Foods, you have gotten the nanites through the air anyway

Might as well lean in and try to get 5g out of it

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Big rear end On Fire posted:

They basically had to try expanding into brick and mortar. They have to find ways to grow. I've owned that stock for a while but am wondering how they can continue to grow. And as Bezos himself said most big companies die after a few decades. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up splitting up into a few companies in my lifetime.

Here's his quote
"Amazon is not too big to fail...In fact, I predict one day Amazon will fail. Amazon will go bankrupt. If you look at large companies, their lifespans tend to be 30-plus years, not a hundred-plus years."

That article goes on to talk about retail so I don't know if Bezos was specifically addressing retail. Successful and big drug companies look like survivors to me.

I've genuinely often wondered why AWS hasn't been spun off into its own company; its my understanding that AWS is the only thing consistently turning a profit, and inside that the Amazon Contact Center service is the primary money maker.

Nov 6, 2002

Vampire Panties posted:

I've genuinely often wondered why AWS hasn't been spun off into its own company; its my understanding that AWS is the only thing consistently turning a profit

you answered your own question

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
some ape on r/teddy crowing about buying up $4k in BBBY bonds "to write the debt off for the company I love!", these guys are inventing new levels of bag holding

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Serious_Cyclone posted:

some ape on r/teddy crowing about buying up $4k in BBBY bonds "to write the debt off for the company I love!", these guys are inventing new levels of bag holding

But isn't that debt and NOL the whole thing that is supposed to make BBBY into this "get out of taxes free" card that will propel Cohen's eventual super-company into the Amazon-killer?

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

LanceHunter posted:

But isn't that debt and NOL the whole thing that is supposed to make BBBY into this "get out of taxes free" card that will propel Cohen's eventual super-company into the Amazon-killer?

lol I hadn't considered that, even more hilarious

I know it's all just investment fanfic all the way down but I'd be interested to know what the reaction would be if this was mentioned to them

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

-Wanders into the thread with fresh eyes-

:psyboom:

This is like if a cult leader was just a random number a bunch of people threw money at. This is loving insane poo poo you guys. My god.

Nov 6, 2002

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

This is like if a cult leader was just a random number a bunch of people threw money at. This is loving insane poo poo you guys. My god.

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

Man, the new DK Rap goes hard.

raccoon.bmp
Feb 16, 2023

🦝

Portfolio diversity being 100.00% means its really good, right?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Bag holding as a lifestyle choice.

Professional Competitive bag holding.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

raccoon.bmp posted:

Portfolio diversity being 100.00% means its really good, right?

as good as it can be, actually

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

its a pump and dump

these people strongly believe that a dead stock is going make them millions.

i remember watching the videos about AMC and how theyre tired of working two jobs and still not have enough after bills. and started crying that this is their only way out.

i felt bad because im pretty sure they held on when i sold at a good profit.

ugh this cant be true

RoboBoogie fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 8, 2024

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

RoboBoogie posted:

ugh this cant be true

I've seen videos that show that that entire image could have been made in Microsoft Word.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
The spacing of those messages makes it feel fake to me.

But on the other hand I hope it's real because if he started with 1.2m to dump into a memestock he's almost certainly some generational wealth jerk who deserves to take that hit.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

wilderthanmild posted:

The spacing of those messages makes it feel fake to me.

Actually this is something that legitimately appears between messages if they're sent with some amount of delay in between, which kinda lent it legitimacy for me. Ultimately, it doesn't matter, but if I increase my font size and switch to light mode, that kinda does look close enough.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Let's just take it as real, laugh and move on- anything further and we'd turn into apes ourselves, looking for clues in pixels :tinfoil:

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

he figured out the fastest way to make 300k

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

RoboBoogie posted:

Actually they didn't just hold on, they bought the stock you sold!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Crust First posted:

Actually they didn't just hold on, they bought the stock you sold!

That idiot would have bought the shares from someone else if not you though, they were going to part with that money. Unless you are posting on reddit to get them to buy into it you really had no effect on them buying it.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

There's a lot of investing idioms that could be applied here but never getting emotional about an investment comes to the top for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

RoboBoogie posted:

these people strongly believe that a dead stock is going make them millions.

i remember watching the videos about AMC and how theyre tired of working two jobs and still not have enough after bills. and started crying that this is their only way out.

so the thing is, the person working two jobs with not enough for bills also somehow had enough money to toss a big wad of it down a wishing well

I think that for a lot of the people ensnared by this poo poo (and crypto, and NFTs) the thing they're looking for "a way out" from isn't a life of crushing poverty, it's a life of not being rich

there are a lot of zaurgs out there